Ridin’ with Biden

Not trying to start something here, but what does that even mean? Most progressives aren’t going out of their way to criticize Biden for legitimate accomplishments. I have criticized things he’s done, but I voted for him because he would be a huge improvement when it came to COVID response, and at least a moderate improvement on social issues, infrastructure, etc. No one is criticizing his response to Coronavirus outside the relief bill because his response has been appropriate, and it’s kind of insulting to insinuate progressives would.

I think some of us have a tendency to be somewhat insular here. The Hype, however interesting, is a small part of the overall political dialogue. I think, outside of here, progressives aren't being too hard on Biden and recognize his early accomplishments (he's frankly exceeded my expectations so far) and are rightfully critical of some of what he's done.

On these threads, there are people who I agree with on both social and economic policy who seem to focus on the negative only and ignore the positive aspects of a Biden administration. I would say Biden has been a noticeable improvement on both social issues and infrastructure (if his proposed bill is an indication of where we're heading). I'm starting to see him as an LBJ type democrat; which wouldn't be a horrible thing if he can manage international affairs. I have real concerns about this. I think a Trump presidency has woken up our European allies up to the reality that the US can't be depended on and I hope it creates an alliance based on more European independence and self reliance.

They should not have renegotiated the means-testing until the next Bill.

Last edited:
They should not have renogiated the means-testing until the next Bill.

TBH, I think the whole direct payment thing is screwed up. If you're pulling in 80-100K per year as a single person, I don't have anything against you getting money, but I'm also not that worried about it. People who used to make money in that area and are unemployed are the ones getting screwed if I understand things correctly. If you got laid off in July of 2020 and were making too much to get a check, you are getting hosed. It doesn't matter how much you used to make, you have bills now.

They should not have renogiated the means-testing until the next Bill.

But Unity!

tenor.gif

TBH, I think the whole direct payment thing is screwed up. If you're pulling in 80-100K per year as a single person, I don't have anything against you getting money, but I'm also not that worried about it. People who used to make money in that area and are unemployed are the ones getting screwed if I understand things correctly. If you got laid off in July of 2020 and were making too much to get a check, you are getting hosed. It doesn't matter how much you used to make, you have bills now.

That’s why it’s important to file your 2020 returns ASAP. If you got laid off in 2020, your AGI will most likely reflect that drop in income. Your eligibility is based on your most recent return. So if you know that you made less in 2020 than 2019, definitely file that return now.

Also, from what I understand, if you re currently laid off in 2021 but your 2020 AGI was above the stimulus threshold, you will get a tax credit on your 2021 return next year when you file. It may not help you right now but something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
I think some of us have a tendency to be somewhat insular here. The Hype, however interesting, is a small part of the overall political dialogue. I think, outside of here, progressives aren't being too hard on Biden and recognize his early accomplishments (he's frankly exceeded my expectations so far) and are rightfully critical of some of what he's done.

On these threads, there are people who I agree with on both social and economic policy who seem to focus on the negative only and ignore the positive aspects of a Biden administration. I would say Biden has been a noticeable improvement on both social issues and infrastructure (if his proposed bill is an indication of where we're heading). I'm starting to see him as an LBJ type democrat; which wouldn't be a horrible thing if he can manage international affairs. I have real concerns about this. I think a Trump presidency has woken up our European allies up to the reality that the US can't be depended on and I hope it creates an alliance based on more European independence and self reliance.

I more or less agree he's exceeding my admittedly low expectations, even if there are definitely a few things that I think progressives can (and should!) criticize him for. I think the main thing that everyone should keep in mind is even if we disagree with how Biden should go about enacting progressive policies, or the extant we should be pushing said policies, we are still on the same page and are trying to achieve the same goals. Disagreements and healthy arguments are fine, but insulting people that are essentially on the same page as you politically is not what we need to be doing right now (and yes, I do consider insinuating progressives would scoff at Biden for saying we might be able to open up vaccines to the general public as early as May insulting). I think anyone that has taken Coronavirus seriously can agree this is a good thing, and Biden is handling vaccine distribution as well as can be expected.

Basically the internet doesn't represent an entire group of people. Even if a thousand folks agreed with your stance that's still a drop in the bucket. Sometimes people see like 500 likes on an opinion and think that must validate it.

I more or less agree he's exceeding my admittedly low expectations, even if there are definitely a few things that I think progressives can (and should!) criticize him for. I think the main thing that everyone should keep in mind is even if we disagree with how Biden should go about enacting progressive policies, or the extant we should be pushing said policies, we are still on the same page and are trying to achieve the same goals. Disagreements and healthy arguments are fine, but insulting people that are essentially on the same page as you politically is not what we need to be doing right now (and yes, I do consider insinuating progressives would scoff at Biden for saying we might be able to open up vaccines to the general public as early as May insulting). I think anyone that has taken Coronavirus seriously can agree this is a good thing, and Biden is handling vaccine distribution as well as can be expected.
WRT Coronavirus, I don't know anyone could have handled it better. We are definitely moving in the right direction and it's too bad that some of these governors are partisan hacks. They're going to get people killed.

My daughter and I get our 2nd dose tomorrow.

I hate the Walgreens scheduling software -- you have to book both shots in one session. It took me hours of clicking and refreshing before I landed one for the second shot. I lucked out and refreshed the page right after the locations added new slots around 12-12:15 p.m. yesterday.

The governor just opened the rest of Group 3 today (announced it yesterday), so I'm glad to get a spot. Anything to get the country reopened safely.

I hate the Walgreens scheduling software -- you have to book both shots in one session. It took me hours of clicking and refreshing before I landed one for the second shot. I lucked out and refreshed the page right after the locations added new slots around 12-12:15 p.m. yesterday.

The governor just opened the rest of Group 3 today (announced it yesterday), so I'm glad to get a spot. Anything to get the country reopened safely.

I had similar issues trying to schedule a county appointment. Fortunately, UCLA (where my family gets their medical care) was proactive. I was in for a doctor appointment and there was evidently some kind of cancellation so I was offered a first dose. Later that same day, my daughter got an email saying she could come in that day for a vaccine. They auto scheduled us for 3 weeks later (both Pfizer) when we got the first shot so we're going together.

Oh yay. You, of all people, are saying there's a chance Biden picks someone "better"......this is about carrying out Biden's policies. Nothing more or nothing less....

I'm not adept or interested in crawling inside someone's head, but this sounded like it turned personal and that's not something we should expect from adults. I don't give a rat's ass about Tanden and her replacement isn't going to move the needle in any way, shape or form. Her replacement will be cut from the same cloth; a competent, seasoned bureaucrat, but probably one who played good girl (most likely will be a woman of color IMO) and didn't offend poor Joe, Bernie, Mitch, etc.

This was, in fact, about her public facing tweets and the poor boys in the club didn't like it. Waaaahhhhh. She would have done the job expected of her and so will the next person. Next nominee please.
It may have been why they were against her, but they weren't why I was. I wish she was being rejected for the right reasons, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm just glad she's not going to get it. This is something I'm seeing a lot here; people will give a list of reasons why they're against something, but then there will be this insistence on fitting the narrative into one sliver that's easily dismissible, to the exclusion of all the other stuff. It's all over the Cuomo discussion here.

And you know what, there's the off chance that Biden will pick someone better. They won't have to even close to perfect to be an improvement on Neera Tanden. This is more than just a messenger-for-the-President position. This person will have discretion and influence. It does matter. Which is another tactic I'm seeing more and more of here; a) claim it doesn't matter because it'll be someone just like them anyway and/or b) minimize the position's importance (see: Rahm Emanuel) so it doesn't really matter who it is. NO ONE was making these arguments when Trump was in office, we all recognized that the actual person in the role was important and also a reflection of the administration itself. I don't want to see the Biden administration associated with people like Neera Tanden. She is bad.

Not trying to start something here, but what does that even mean? Most progressives aren’t going out of their way to criticize Biden for legitimate accomplishments. I have criticized things he’s done, but I voted for him because he would be a huge improvement when it came to COVID response, and at least a moderate improvement on social issues, infrastructure, etc. No one is criticizing his response to Coronavirus outside the relief bill because his response has been appropriate, and it’s kind of insulting to insinuate progressives would.
So far the vaccine rollout has gone well. It's the number one reason I voted for Biden: less people will die under this administration. It's also why I'm so angry about the relief rollout. It's so far not an improvement at all, and it's March now.

It may have been why they were against her, but they weren't why I was. I wish she was being rejected for the right reasons, but beggars can't be choosers and I'm just glad she's not going to get it. This is something I'm seeing a lot here; people will give a list of reasons why they're against something, but then there will be this insistence on fitting the narrative into one sliver that's easily dismissible, to the exclusion of all the other stuff. It's all over the Cuomo discussion here.

And you know what, there's the off chance that Biden will pick someone better. They won't have to even close to perfect to be an improvement on Neera Tanden. This is more than just a messenger-for-the-President position. This person will have discretion and influence. It does matter. Which is another tactic I'm seeing more and more of here; a) claim it doesn't matter because it'll be someone just like them anyway and/or b) minimize the position's importance (see: Rahm Emanuel) so it doesn't really matter who it is. NO ONE was making these arguments when Trump was in office, we all recognized that the actual person in the role was important and also a reflection of the administration itself. I don't want to see the Biden administration associated with people like Neera Tanden. She is bad.

I hear ya. I'm not a fan of hers. Tanden is a bureaucrat who knows she needs to carry out the policy of the administration and so will the next person. I don't care who she likes or doesn't and doubt the next person will do a better or worse job. This is SO much less important than other issues, it barely makes it on my radar.

EDIT: WRT to the past administration, there are light years of difference between Trump and Biden. Biden has some well formed political policies whereas Trump was just appointing a bunch of fascists (literally) and they were much more able to influence his general tendencies.

Last edited:
So far the vaccine rollout has gone well. It's the number one reason I voted for Biden: less people will die under this administration. It's also why I'm so angry about the relief rollout. It's so far not an improvement at all, and it's March now.

It's a HUGE improvement and it's mainly due to the GA elections. If he had 49, we wouldn't be getting even this. Sorry, this one is on the senate. As far as the money cutoff being lowered to 80K, I'm not overly concerned about that, but would have had no problem leaving it as is. There are other people being left out who don't deserve to be and they're in worse shape than someone making 85K and filing single.

I had similar issues trying to schedule a county appointment. Fortunately, UCLA (where my family gets their medical care) was proactive. I was in for a doctor appointment and there was evidently some kind of cancellation so I was offered a first dose. Later that same day, my daughter got an email saying she could come in that day for a vaccine. They auto scheduled us for 3 weeks later (both Pfizer) when we got the first shot so we're going together.

When I booked mine, I thought it was Moderna since the shots are four weeks apart. Instead it was Pfizer (still 4 weeks apart), but I would've been happy to even get the J&J vaccine.

I have to say Walgreens is really efficient at dispensing the COVID-19 vaccine -- even though their computer software is crummy. It took longer because the check-in girl's computer kept freezing up. But once that was finished and after I signed the paperwork, they called me in and gave me the shot.

It's a HUGE improvement and it's mainly due to the GA elections. If he had 49, we wouldn't be getting even this. Sorry, this one is on the senate. As far as the money cutoff being lowered to 80K, I'm not overly concerned about that, but would have had no problem leaving it as is. There are other people being left out who don't deserve to be and they're in worse shape than someone making 85K and filing single.
I just can't accept that. It's his party. He should know how to wield it during a crisis. He made the promises and said he knew how to make government work. He's the president and his party holds a majority. If they can't get anything done, it's on him too.

I just can't accept that. It's his party. He should know how to wield it during a crisis. He made the promises and said he knew how to make government work. He's the president and his party holds a majority. If they can't get anything done, it's on him too.

I think you mean if they can't get "everything" done, it's on him. Plenty is getting done, but not all.

I hear ya. I'm not a fan of hers. Tanden is a bureaucrat who knows she needs to carry out the policy of the administration and so will the next person. I don't care who she likes or doesn't and doubt the next person will do a better or worse job. This is SO much less important than other issues, it barely makes it on my radar.

EDIT: WRT to the past administration, there are light years of difference between Trump and Biden. Biden has some well formed political policies whereas Trump was just appointing a bunch of fascists (literally) and they were much more able to influence his general tendencies.
This is what I'm talking about. You're minimizing the reasons people have a problem with her.

My point about Trump doesn't have anything to with how much worse his picks were. That goes without saying. It's just annoying to see all gymnastics people are doing to claim that there's nothing wrong these other (less so, but still) terrible people getting important government roles.

I think you mean if they can't get "everything" done, it's on him. Plenty is getting done, but not all.
I was specifically referring to the issue of relief. So far, they haven't gotten anything done on the issue of relief. Presidents have power and influence over their parties, or at least they should. If he can't help push this through Congress, it's on him as well. Buck stops here and such.

This is what I'm talking about. You're minimizing the reasons people have a problem with her.

My point about Trump doesn't have anything to with how much worse his picks were. That goes without saying. It's just annoying to see all gymnastics people are doing to claim that there's nothing wrong these other (less so, but still) terrible people getting important government roles.

So here we go, eh bro? :cwink:

I never said there was nothing wrong with Tanden. Who she likes isn't relevant. I have worked closely with union members, for example, I didn't like as human beings and hated their politics. Sometimes I won and sometimes I lost, but, after the decision was made, it was incumbent on us to follow our policy. Personal feelings have nothing to do with it.

The only, ONLY time I didn't go along with majority vote was when I resigned as Sec/Treas of the central labor council. I won't go into detail, but we had a months long discussion and vote on whether to combine councils per the state feds desires. At a meeting attended by almost 100 rank and file members, we voted to not combine because it would have excluded working people from attending meetings that were held 60 miles away at 5PM. Only paid staff would generally be able to attend and I considered it a direct assault on worker democracy. The very next meeting, someone entered a motion to reconsider because he said he changed his mind and wanted a re-vote. This was a meeting attended by about 8 executive board members. I objected on the grounds that this was a secret vote and the motion itself was out of order. After it passed, I made a motion that we would have another meeting to consider the matter in more detail. Both of my motions failed and I felt I would do well to return to my local and redouble my organizing efforts.

Like and deciding who you will and won't support are two different things.

I was specifically referring to the issue of relief. So far, they haven't gotten anything done on the issue of relief. Presidents have power and influence over their parties, or at least they should. If he can't help push this through Congress, it's on him as well. Buck stops here and such.
It IS getting pushed through congress. Just because you don't like all of the details, doesn't mean he's ineffective. Like I said the other day. If this fails, Biden shares the blame, but he'd also share the blame if it doesn't get done in the next week and a half.

If that is a concern, you simply tax them on their 2020/2021 tax returns. The big problem with this is the means testing is being done on 2019 tax returns, which was before the pandemic obviously.

It IS getting pushed through congress. Just because you don't like all of the details, doesn't mean he's ineffective. Like I said the other day. If this fails, Biden shares the blame, but he'd also share the blame if it doesn't get done in the next week and a half.
That it has to be "pushed through congress" is a failing on party leadership, Biden included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"