Season 1 / Episode 3: What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?

Canonically, that's supposed to be Peter. And if Tony is already dead in that universe, then there's no one to stop Vanko's plan of unleashing the drones on the Expo. In which case, bye bye lil' Peter.
There'd be no stark Expo without Stark, and Vanko wanted to beat Stark, so if Stark is already dead, Vanko probably wouldn't have cared about revenge. Little Peter is safe.

I think Odin stripped Thor of everything, Mjolnir, his innate power, strenght, durability… basically turning him into a human like his Donald Blake persona in the comics.

I think we can see glimpses of that in how he’s affected by random stuff on Earth like car accidents, hospital equipment, medical and military personal… He’s just a big strong dude with over a thousand years of combat training hence why he’s able to work his way to try and lift Mjolnir.
I must admit, I never did like that concept. Thor, even without Mjolnir is supposed to be the God of Thunder.

The idea that he can be defeated by an Arrow, or immobilised by a Tazer (Sakarr) seems a bit stupid when you take into account just how powerful he's supposed to be. He fought Hela without a hammer, and sure, he lost an eye, but he was holding his own for a while there, and he's capable of incredible feats.

Definitely a more classic What If story. It had more Twilight Zone elements than the previous two and easily the best of the three episodes. The darker feel is how What If should be like. I would've liked some narration by the Watcher at the end though, and would've liked to have seen the inciting incident that led to the branching off of the timeline where things took a different turn.

Was a bit odd to see Ruffalo's Hulk going through the events of TIH. I suppose this is what it would be like if they replaced Norton for the whole movie with Ruffalo. Good to see Betty again. I hope she'll show up in a future film or TV show.

Why was Cap not unfrozen all that time though? He had already thawed out at the end of CA: TFA in the main timeline.

Seems that Yellowjacket is extremely formidable against even the mightiest of heroes, at least when he has the element of surprise. This was probably the darkest they'd go with Pym.

There'd be no stark Expo without Stark, and Vanko wanted to beat Stark, so if Stark is already dead, Vanko probably wouldn't have cared about revenge. Little Peter is safe.

I must admit, I never did like that concept. Thor, even without Mjolnir is supposed to be the God of Thunder.

The idea that he can be defeated by an Arrow, or immobilised by a Tazer (Sakarr) seems a bit stupid when you take into account just how powerful he's supposed to be. He fought Hela without a hammer, and sure, he lost an eye, but he was holding his own for a while there, and he's capable of incredible feats.

Odin turns Thor in a mortal human being when banishing him though. He was also killed by the Destroyer with a single hit in the movie.

Maybe. We don't know if the public became aware that Tony was dead right away in What If? Fury may have wanted to keep his death under wraps until the killer was caught and also to avoid any potential conflicts if the bad guys of the world learned that Iron Man was dead. In which case, the Stark Expo would still go on considering that the battle with Vanko at the Expo happened a day or two after and Tony's appearance there to interrupt Hammer's presentation in IM2 wasn't planned so he may not have even had to be there otherwise. Vanko still could have carried out his plan since he wasn't a fan of Hammer either. Neither of us is right or wrong here, the possibilities are endless.

Why was Cap not unfrozen all that time though? He had already thawed out at the end of CA: TFA in the main timeline.
If I remember correctly, the bookends of CA:TFA with him being found/thawed out are the most recent events to occur in the MCU prior to the events of the first Avengers film happening (we're talking maybe just a few months before that movie happens, if not mere weeks?). Him being found/woken up occurred after the events of IM2/TIH/Thor (which, as this What If? also pointed out, those 3 all took place during the same time frame/overlapping each other)

I don’t. He was too sculpted and veiny

I loved the face model specifically, I think Hulk doesn't necessarily have to look like Banner and TIH's face reminds me a lot of the Classic Buscema Savage Hulk.

The sightings are circumstantial at best but it is curious, most notably her being in Miami a week before She Hulk started shooting.
Yeah, maybe I’m blinded by hope. :cwink:

I get it. Ragnarok explores that idea.

Regarding the “taser”, we can chalk it up to it being highly advanced alien tech that targets and incapacitates the nervous system. We can also assume it was used on Hulk, Beta Ray Bill, Ares, Man-thing, Bi-beast, Dark Crawler, Korg… so it’s not just a random earthly invention.

Thankfully Thor has a ton of feats without Mjolnir that shows how powerful, skilled and durable he really is.

Odin turns Thor in a mortal human being when banishing him though. He was also killed by the Destroyer with a single hit in the movie.
That's a dumb move on the part of Odin then, cause Thor (could have) potentially suffered brain damage when Jane hit him with her van.

Thankfully Thor has a ton of feats without Mjolnir that shows how powerful, skilled and durable he really is.
Except when he's up against an arrow, apparently... :p

I get it. Ragnarok explores that idea.

Regarding the “taser”, we can chalk it up to it being highly advanced alien tech that targets and incapacitates the nervous system. We can also assume it was used on Hulk, Beta Ray Bill, Ares, Man-thing, Bi-beast, Dark Crawler, Korg… so it’s not just a random earthly invention.

But Thor is the god of thunder. Being defeated with a taser is like defeating Aquaman with a water hose.

But Thor is the god of thunder. Being defeated with a taser is like defeating Aquaman with a water hose.
With a highly advanced alien water hose... :D Whatever man. It's not that big of a deal anyways.
3uJ7.gif

Last edited:
This was my favorite episode so far. Even though I though it’d be a nice justice is Natasha survived in this universe, I still “like” that she was last?

I thought Odessa was a nice twist and wonder how it goes forward. It’s safe to assume Captain Carter’s universe never had a Winter Soldier right and that Bucky is most like deceased in that universe.

I’m wondering if someone will take “heroes” from the different universes we have seen and combined them for a final battle.

I fail to see what's wrong with the animation.
It looks fine

Fine... Is kinda my issue.

It's just... Servicable animation. Marvel has been rolling in the dough for over a decade and they are part of the Disney corporate family.

It feels cheapish to do this show and having it look not too dissimilar to the Nick Armored Adventures show from... 2009?

I enjoyed the hell out of Armored Adventures. It was far better than a "Teen Iron Man" CG on Nick had any right to be. But it wasn't a great look animation wise compared to say, Clone Wars/Rebels or other CG shows.

Best of the bunch so far. This was where the show found solid footing and the run time meshed with the way the story was being told so things didn't come off too rushed.

A true mystery until almost the end.

And I am betting the story is not finished.

Fine... Is kinda my issue.

It's just... Servicable animation. Marvel has been rolling in the dough for over a decade and they are part of the Disney corporate family.

It feels cheapish to do this show and having it look not too dissimilar to the Nick Armored Adventures show from... 2009?

I enjoyed the hell out of Armored Adventures. It was far better than a "Teen Iron Man" CG on Nick had any right to be. But it wasn't a great look animation wise compared to say, Clone Wars/Rebels or other CG shows.

So far the only similarities I'm seeing are that both shows are CG yet not any actual similarity in the animation itself, so whatever point you're trying to make here is falling flat.
Because just saying it looks alike quite frankly means nothing.

So far the only similarities I'm seeing are that both shows are CG yet not any actual similarity in the animation itself, so whatever point you're trying to make here is falling flat.
Because just saying it looks alike quite frankly means nothing.

Just saying they don't means jack squat as well so... It's there for any to see and judge.

Armored Adventures is a long time out of circulation so it is a less advanced animation, but in broad strokes they look very similar to me and again, in comparison to any number of CGI productions it is fine but not spectacular.

You do you though as it's apparent you're invested in there being no criticisms of this show's animation for whatever reason given your response to two people saying the look of the show isn't blowing up their skirts.

Just saying they don't means jack squat as well so... It's there for any to see and judge.

Armored Adventures is a long time out of circulation so it is a less advanced animation, but in broad strokes they look very similar to me and again, in comparison to any number of CGI productions it is fine but not spectacular.

You do you though as it's apparent you're invested in there being no criticisms of this show's animation for whatever reason given your response to two people saying the look of the show isn't blowing up their skirts.
No I'm fine with criticisms even they're actually saying something, all I've been told here is What If looks like Armored Adventures, which says nothing especially when you give me a clip and the only similarity shown is they're CG animated and just that.

Ok so I'm catching up on this show now, and I wasn't really feelin' it 'til this episode. The mystery angle was really well done and I loved the darker tone. A hell of a lot more than Buddy Thanos in the previous ep. Michael Douglas didn't really sound like himself to me here but his performance was great.

This reminded me that Captain Marvel has one of the best themes in the MCU, imo. Such a simple yet immediately recognizable motif.

Really impressed that I never once was reminded of Lake Bell's Poison Ivy while listening to her Romanoff, particularly because I find her voice as Ivy to be really distinctive.

i forgot that Douglas had throat cancer

I've been wondering if the writers took inspiration from the Ant-Man killing Thanos fan theory back during Avengers: Infinity War. Hulk's death was very similar to ideas fans presented. Would be interesting if fans could have an impact on these storylines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"