Season 3, Episode 1: "Closer" (SPOILERS)

Strong opening, good character development, awesome action. See it can be done right I’m looking at you Flash.

Elizabeth and Tyler continue to shine as Lois and Clark. It’s fun to see even through they’re married. They can spice things up just like before.

loved seeing both parents teach their respective children how to manage responsibilities in how to conduct themselves. Jordan with his powers and Jonathan with driving.

The battle in Metropolis between Superman and Atom-Man was very cinematic and cool.

I had an enjoyable experience watching this episode.

I’m curious where Mannheim got the super serum to give kryptonian like abilities to Atom-Man. Also was that Onomatopoeia or Spellbinder ?! I couldn’t tell based on the quick shot?!

Unfortunately....wasn't really feeling it.

We spent a little to much time on melodrama.

"Are we pregnant"
"Will i pass my drivers test"
"Will these divorce papers get signed"
"Can i get closer to my doppelganger grandfather/grandchild"

I was surprised that L/C wouldn’t force Jordan to also get his drivers license.

Jonathan seemed more like an after thought. Maybe they're trying to ease us into the recast but it felt weird how pushed aside he was.

Loved the Season 3 premiere which I honestly forgot about until late last night, but its great seeing this show off to a strong start already, especially after how Season 2 kind of ended on a whimper IMO.

This episode was low key hilarious throughout and also had the perfect balance of drama and action without losing focus on the characters themselves which I really appreciated.

Despite my issues with the previous season, I couldn't be happier about this show being back.

It’s good to be back! Pretty much everyone said what I was going to say. Had my issues with the last season, but this seems to be off to a pretty good start.

The new Jonathan actor is going to take some getting used to, but I’m still willing to give him a shot. Probably just needs to settle in and find his groove.

Seems VFX companies this season got a lot more time to polish things. Unlike last season, where the VFX quality fluctuated throughout from really good to kind of sloppy, I didn’t notice a single dodgy shot thus far. In fact, this is probably some of the best visual effects work I’ve seen on the show to date.

Also, did anyone notice the clever little edit, with Clark and Lois rushing off to Tal’s pad for sexy time, and then it cuts to a field being plowed. Not subtle. :funny:

FrSefymWAAcIfwt

Family dynamic is stil intact, even if it may take a little bit to get used to new Jon. I do greatly enjoy the family Smallville stuff more than the super hero stuff. I loved Lois giving the driving lessons. The family meeting post birthday party. Clark being bad at bbq is hilarious. And yes, I am laughing at Jordan being friendzoned.

I do find it interesting that Lois chose to use John Henry's sister to get info on Manheim.

Like others have already said, Superman's new costume is such a huge improvement from the previous versions. My only wish now is to have John Henry Irons upgrade his costume as well.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to see him reunite with his sister's doppelganger. Also, I really hope that they're not just teasing us with a potential pairing between him and Lana.

I don't know if it's just the endorphin rush talking or what, but this just might be my favorite episode of the entire series. Drawing from the show's many strengths — things like character development, on-screen chemistry and family dynamics — it essentially delivers a payoff that's both rewarding and immensely enjoyable. NGL, I had this mental image of someone injecting levity and personality in all the right places, and in the most organic of ways. Yeah, it was that good!

For years we've been clamoring for Lana to be in the know as it relates to Clark's secret, and now that we have that (not just with her but also w/ Chrissy and Sarah), it feels like everything has finally fallen into place. (Maybe that's where the added dose of personality comes from?)

As others have already said, the new Jon will definitely take some getting used to; but he seems to have potential.

You know, another thing I love about this show is how it consistently manages to raise the stakes, even with a character as nigh-invincible as Superman. The sense of dread I got from that battle aftermath scene... :suprise:

Oh, and is it just me, or was that episode as horny as all get-out? :funny:

Note: I'm just now being reminded that Tom Cavanaugh directed this one. Well, alright then. We see you, Tom. :toth

Any theories as to why a non-pregnant Lois might be exhibiting pregnancy symptoms? What's happening to her?

Managed to watch this! This show is like a comfort I want around for good, don’t want it to ever stop.

This episode had a fun and light tone for much of it which was very easy to enjoy. Really glad they started out like that.

What happened to the other actor for Jonathan Kent? He was kind of unique looking and had a bit of X-factor about him so I thought he’d be hard to replace Given that they found someone who fits very well - I was able to accept the change pretty quickly.

The superhero/supervillain stuff here (which I don’t actually care about a whole lot compared to the family element in this show) was a step up. The effects are very good for a CW show and Hoechlin is just looking better and better as Superman. I’m not sure how a film version is going to compare for me now as both Clark and Superman combined.

Still rooting for Lana to break free of most of the rest of her family lol. I’m so glad she knows the secret now and is part of the extended family, but yeah less of her own family dramatics taking up screen time going forward could be a good thing. I would love if she can become a long term ally (being mayor can only help) in the way that Jon Henry and Nat have (never knew how much I’d love having them around).

Sam and Nat relationship worked haha. Wouldn’t have foreseen that one and it was cute when it did.

Best part of the whole episode though was when the parents did impressions of the sons “it was cool” responses to “how was the birthday”. Lois won that by a mile, I rewatched the impression about 10 times before moving on. :funny:

I just watched the premiere and I thought it was pretty good.

I loved the
Chrissy walk of shame moment:smilingeyes:, and it'll be interesting to see where they take her and Kyle.

The other moment I kinda laughed at was when the former Mayor tried warn off Lana.
When he walked away, Lana had this kinda sinister smile on her face :lol:, and I was like , " What's that about?!":hilarious:.

I think they were trying to show she wasn't gonna let him get to her, but the look on her face cracked me up as if she were secretly a villain.

Last edited:
The superhero/supervillain stuff here (which I don’t actually care about a whole lot compared to the family element in this show) was a step up. The effects are very good for a CW show and Hoechlin is just looking better and better as Superman. I’m not sure how a film version is going to compare for me now as both Clark and Superman combined.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Both Tyler and Bitsie fit their respective roles like a glove IMO, and they've only grown in that respect w/ each passing season. My first brush with Superman (on-screen, that is) was the Donner iteration. I've seen most of the '80s and 90s' shows based on the character; ditto for Smallville. We were all here for Snyder's MoS. But these two actors, they've given me my all-time favorite, live-action depictions of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. That said, I'm not sure how to feel about the Gunnverse reboot just yet. Our new DC overlord has big boots to fill, big red ones.

That said, I'm not sure how to feel about the Gunnverse reboot just yet. Our new DC overlord has big boots to fill, big red ones.
Gunn garners no interest from me, so my interest in the new one will truly live or die by the casting. I'm so grateful to have this version in the meantime - not just for giving me the first live-action Supes I've loved, but having it around at this time also helps me be relatively zen about that reboot that I would otherwise probably be unhealthily anxious about lol. If Gunn drops the ball in casting or otherwise, eh, at least I got this.

Gunn garners no interest from me, so my interest in the new one will truly live or die by the casting. I'm so grateful to have this version in the meantime - not just for giving me the first live-action Supes I've loved, but having it around at this time also helps me be relatively zen about that reboot that I would otherwise probably be unhealthily anxious about lol. If Gunn drops the ball in casting or otherwise, eh, at least I got this.

Yeah, I'm grateful for the same reasons, and also because the show allows Clark and Lois to mature and evolve as parents and nurturers; and it does so without taking too much away from their respective roles as crusaders. I don't imagine that WB will be going there anytime soon as relates to Supes' big screen exploits. But we'll see.

And yeah, I'm with you on the new actor thing. I also need to know what comic book influences Gunn is drawing from, apart from All-Star, that is. Is King involved with the script at all? Probably not, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I'm grateful for the same reasons, and also because the show allows Clark and Lois to mature and evolve as parents and nurturers; and it does so without taking too much away from their respective roles as crusaders. I don't imagine that WB will be going there anytime soon as relates to Supes' big screen exploits. But we'll see.

And yeah, I'm with you on the new actor thing. I also need to know what comic book influences Gunn is drawing from, apart from All-Star, that is. Is King involved with the script at all? Probably not, I'd imagine.
There's been no indication that King's been involved with this one, unfortunately. But I know Gunn at least read Up in the Sky, as he posted screencaps from it on his Instagram and tagged Tom King back before the big announcement. So that's something, I guess. I'd still feel better if he was reading some Waid, Busiek, Tomasi, PKJ, Rucka, or Morrison's OTHER Supes work besides All-Star, though. Hell even Johns, though he's not my fave. Because right now it feels like, in terms of characterization, Gunn's been reading the two opposite extremes (All-Star and Byrne's Man of Steel), when the ideal modern take would be more in the middle, where all those other guys' work is.

There's been no indication that King's been involved with this one, unfortunately. But I know Gunn at least read Up in the Sky, as he posted screencaps from it on his Instagram and tagged Tom King back before the big announcement. So that's something, I guess. I'd still feel better if he was reading some Waid, Busiek, Tomasi, PKJ, Rucka, or Morrison's OTHER Supes work besides All-Star, though. Hell even Johns, though he's not my fave. Because right now it feels like, in terms of characterization, Gunn's been reading the two opposite extremes (All-Star and Byrne's Man of Steel), when the ideal modern take would be more in the middle, where all those other guys' work is.

He claims to have read a plethora of DC-related content (like whenever someone inquires about his familiarity with a given comic, he's all like, "Yeah. Read that one three times. Last Friday. For breakfast." LOL). So, perhaps he got around to reading at least some of the ones you mentioned here. lol

He claims to have read a plethora of DC-related content (like whenever someone inquires about his familiarity with a given comic, he's all like, "Yeah. Read that one three times. Last Friday. For breakfast." LOL). So, perhaps he got around to reading at least some of the ones you mentioned here. lol

I’d like to think that he’s really doing thorough research on Superman by reading as many iterations as he can in order to get a really good understanding of the character. I mean, the guy has the weight of expectations of getting the character right and starting off on a really solid new foundation, not to mention his reputation for the kinds of films he’s usually known for, so he knows there’s no room for screwing up.

I mean, say what you will about his sensibilities, he doesn’t half a** things. This is the same man who, for the GOTG films and The Suicide Squad, wrote the songs into the script. I can’t think of any other filmmaker, save for Edgar Wright, who does that sort of thing.

I'm glad Superman and Lois wasn't part of the clean sweep of Arrowverse shows, which was the rumor when all those cancellations were announced.

I'm glad that they were smart enough to let it continue .

Wouldn't mind getting action sequences involving Superman and Intergang where he has to use more of his wits than raw power to beat them. It'd be nice to see a more modern take of the bank heist scene from Hancock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"