• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Stark dies in A4, maybe Fury can fill in that overseer role that Tony has had so far. That would be an interesting dynamic.

Agreed. 'Twould be nice! One user on here mentioned that they haven't interacted yet. It'd be awesome. Just reminds me of that scene from USM when they're in the alleyway (I think?), where Fury gives him that pep talk.

With Fury and Hill involved, I'd all but guarantee we get the parents storyline. It's still pretty relevant in the comics today, Zdarsky's recent TSSM storyline hinged on it, including the reveal that [BLACKOUT]Peter has a sister. [/BLACKOUT] I'm not super excited to see that explored again, but I trust it will be eons better than what we got in TASM.

He may just be taking over from Stark as Peter's guardian. Lile USM. No way they go back into the parents story after TASM

I thought the Hype's Spidey fans didn't cotton to Peter needing a "guardian"? Wasn't there much howling and gnashing of teeth about that aspect with Stark around these parts?

I thought the Hype's Spidey fans didn't cotton to Peter needing a "guardian"? Wasn't there much howling and gnashing of teeth about that aspect with Stark around these parts?

At this point......:bdh:

Marvel is going the Ultimate Spiderman Show route instead of the Spectacular Spiderman rout, and that's a shame,but whats done is done.

At this point......:bdh:

Marvel is going the Ultimate Spiderman Show route instead of the Spectacular Spiderman rout, and that's a shame,but whats done is done.

Ultimately I think it boils down to the Russos and Watts having different visions of Peter's relationship with Tony. The Russos are clearly going the Ultimate Spider-Man route, but Homecoming is still a film about Tony and Peter being different people that just don't go together. That and Watts compared Peter not joining the Avengers to him not joining the FF in ASM#1.

With Watts coming back for this and the Russos staying out of it, Peter's ideological clash with Tony will probably continue with Fury.

Last edited:
I think it's just the Russos who are going the Ultimate Spider-Man route. I argued this when Homecoming came out but I still think it's a generally anti-PeterandTony film. With Jon Watts coming back for FFH I think that pattern will continue with Fury.

If so, why is Fury in the movie in the first place?......My only guess is a Marvel/SONY agreement mandate to include major MCU characters in each solo

I don't really mind Fury in the film though..as long as he is not giving Peter silly gadgets and there not being any Shield academy nonsense...then I'm good

If so, why is Fury in the movie in the first place?......My only guess is a Marvel/SONY agreement mandate to include major MCU characters in each solo

I don't really mind Fury in the film though..as long as he is not giving Peter silly gadgets and there not being any Shield academy nonsense...then I'm good

Peter's first few interactions with Fury in Ultimate were more antagonistic than friendly. I think it was a decade later when Bendis started making him train with Fury.

Fury is actually a very logical choice if all the other actors are leaving. Sam is one of the only actors from Phase 1 whose contract won't expire by the end of A4. Add to that how easily available he's known to be for his roles and how naturally Fury can be worked into a Spider-Man story, and he actually becomes a very logical choice. The only other logical choice was maybe Cumberbatch.

Last edited:
Peter's first few interactions with Fury in Ultimate were more antagonistic than friendly. I think it was a decade later when Bendis started making him train with Fury.

Fury is actually a very logical choice if all the other actors are leaving. Sam is one of the only actors from Phase 1 whose contract won't expire by the end of A4. Add to that how easily available he's known to be for his roles and how naturally Fury can be worked into a Spider-Man story, and he actually becomes a very logical choice. The only other logical choice was maybe Cumberbatch.

I don't know... I think Widow ticks off a lot of the same boxes as Fury, that is could pretty much be used for the same purposes story wise. Even Hawkeye. If they wanted to continue the route of Peter's relationship with Tony with someone whose intellect Spidey is in awe of they could have dropped Banner in. Given BP's reception and visibility, as well as the international flavor of this movie and the fascination Wakandan tech would have for Peter you could have had T'challa show up as well I think.

Tony Stark or Hawkeye didn't appear in Winter Soldier, even though Clint is SHIELD and how much of Stark's technology is utilized in the film. No reason why Black Panther would just appear in a Spider-Man film at this point.

Fury is actually a very logical choice if all the other actors are leaving. Sam is one of the only actors from Phase 1 whose contract won't expire by the end of A4.

Actually as a side note, they must have extended his contract as this point. His original contract was only for 9 movies and by the time Captain Marvel comes out, that will be his 9th movie.

I don't know... I think Widow ticks off a lot of the same boxes as Fury, that is could pretty much be used for the same purposes story wise. Even Hawkeye. If they wanted to continue the route of Peter's relationship with Tony with someone whose intellect Spidey is in awe of they could have dropped Banner in. Given BP's reception and visibility, as well as the international flavor of this movie and the fascination Wakandan tech would have for Peter you could have had T'challa show up as well I think.

It's possible the main Avengers actors are all leaving after A4, so their characters might not have been options (I don't think they would first recast one of the six Avengers for a supporting role in a Spider-Man film). There's also the question of what each Avenger is doing after A4 and how they're being reintroduced post-Thanos.

Widow ticks off the spy box, but I don't know if she fits the John Hughes and 60s culture theme of a teen clashing with an authority figure as good as Fury does. Part of that is because she has more in common with Cap's ideals by Phase 3 than with Fury's. Maria Hill on the other hand? We know she's in the movie too.

I disagree about easily using T'Challa, though.

I'd yell at them "No parents!", Edna Mode-style. It's such a deathtrap when it comes to Spider-Man reboots. They remember that the comics have had parents-centered stories here and there and they figure, "Who can say no to a bit of extra mythology?" A cool writing challenge would be to develop half a dozen outlines without once touching on the parents or stepping outside the area of "This is a perfectly ordinary everyman kid that the spider bite happened to".

There's only been one Spider-Man reboot since the Amazing series where we got stuff on the parents. How's that automatically make it a death trap after just one go?

One film series out of three is enough of a case study, no? I don't mean to imply with certainty that it'll happen again with the current version, just that it's a possibility with every new reboot that wants to set itself apart.

By that reasoning though MARVEL should shelve any FF plans as being a "deathtrap" after four films that found no resonance with the audience.

They don't have to include Peter's parents but I just wonder why Fury is in this film at all, and including something about the Parkers makes a certain amount of sense given the comic book history that Marvel Studios likes to draw from.

There's only been one Spider-Man reboot since the Amazing series where we got stuff on the parents. How's that automatically make it a death trap after just one go?

Because it was poorly done and nobody cared about his parents ?

By that reasoning

Why? With Spider-Man's parents it refers to the use of a specific element and the route taken with it. It's not equivalent to dismissing the potential or appeal of the entire FF property.

Whether they take or not the route of giving the Parkers a meaningful backstory as spies/VIP scientists or whatnot, at least there's a precedent of Feige disliking it too. Good enough for now. From his TASM2 notes:

Not sure what Peter learns at Roosevelt is entirely correct. We’re distracted by the idea that Peter became Spider-Man b/c of his father’s blood --- all this special back story with his super-scientist dad fights with the idea that Peter is normal kid from Queens who becomes the greatest super-hero in the world…

One film series out of three is enough of a case study, no? I don't mean to imply with certainty that it'll happen again with the current version, just that it's a possibility with every new reboot that wants to set itself apart.

Is that an argument for no parents or no Ultimate version of his parents?

Or is it just that Amazing Spider-Man had a whole bunch of problems and not just one and in the hands of other people could be done differently?

I really don't know why the parents discussion has become so prominent in this thread. I see it highly unlikely that we will get that storyline again just because Nick Fury is appearing in this film. Everyone is aware of the backlash of the parents storyline in the TASM films, including Feige/Marvel. It's not happening.

Marvel Studios is not going to repeat storylines. Heck, they won't even mention "Uncle Ben" in any of the films we have gotten so far...

By that reasoning though MARVEL should shelve any FF plans as being a "deathtrap" after four films that found no resonance with the audience.

They don't have to include Peter's parents but I just wonder why Fury is in this film at all, and including something about the Parkers makes a certain amount of sense given the comic book history that Marvel Studios likes to draw from.

Fury was in the Ultimate books a lot, and often it had nothing to do with his parents.

Fury was in the Ultimate books a lot, and often it had nothing to do with his parents.
If I recall correctly, Nick Fury's role in the USM storyline was to monitor Peter because he was underage. His plan was to take Peter into SHIELD once he became 18 years old, and I remember seeing Peter rebel and having to fight against Fury's spider slayers to take him down.

I read the original USM comics in full about 4-5 years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

I don't want to see his parents -- I want him to worry endlessly about Aunt May. Boo hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"