Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 113

They originally intended to put a direct reference to Uncle Ben via Peter being given some of Uncle Ben's clothes for the homecoming dance.

Why did they remove that!? Why!? I know why... because they said it'd bring the film's mood down....

Ugh...I was expecting Uncle Ben to be mentioned during the part where he's getting ready for the dance.

Last edited:
qhNuM8F.gif

aEMnrP8.gif

E7i5SfQ.gif

sPiyNn8.gif

T4QtwsO.gif

baDlMl9.gif

MjSitIn.gif

Homecoming has been growing in me a little after a few re-watches. I still have huge problems with the movie, mainly the lack of Uncle Ben, especially in the ‘come on Spider-Man!’ Scene, but the good moments are really good and the main cast members are really good.

I think the subtle references we've had in both Civil War and Homecoming were good enough. I think they will expand on that in the sequel.

He got cocky but then immediately messes up afterwards. Garfield was to cocky

They originally intended to put a direct reference to Uncle Ben via Peter being given some of Uncle Ben's clothes for the homecoming dance.

This would have been really nice. The absence of Ben didn't bother me too much, though. Not nearly as much as the continued absence of JJJ and the Bugle! That's still my primary beef with Homecoming.

We'll get the Bugle and Ben and such in sequels, I am sure. I am not bothered by this at all, and I can see why they didn't want to rehash those elements this movie.

I think the subtle references we've had in both Civil War and Homecoming were good enough. I think they will expand on that in the sequel.

I think what I suggested on the previous page wouldn’t have effected that too much though. And sorry but it bothers me that Peter was more wanting to live to Stark than Uncle Ben. It bothers me a lot in fact.

We'll get the Bugle and Ben and such in sequels, I am sure. I am not bothered by this at all, and I can see why they didn't want to rehash those elements this movie.

I can wait for the Bugle, but Ben should have had more of a presence in HC for me. Peter barely seemed bothered that he had lost Ben in HC. I didn’t want scenes of him moping all the time, but a bit of reflection would have been nice.

Uncle Ben I can understand more than the Bugle, even then they could've at least mentioned him by name...

The Daily Bugle hasn't been in a Spidey flick for 10 years, and no that crappy scene in TASM 2 with the email doesn't count. :hehe:

So, there is definitelly some news coming in two days at the Con about the animated Miles movie.

Yeah, I just hope that the tweet we got days ago wasn't exactly for the animated movie. I hope for some live-action stuff, sequel-related or something.

I just rewatched this movie for the first time since July, and I honestly have to say this might be my favorite movie of 2017. GOTGv2 and Ragnarok are definitely up there, but I think I prefer this one because of its smaller scale and more restrained nature. Aside from that, the conflict is incredibly nuanced, and there are consequences and sacrifices to basically any choice Peter makes. Spider-man/Parker is an extremely relatable character and even the Vulture has a relatable and sympathetic side to him.

I feel like the pacing of Homecoming should be acknowledged. I felt like GOTGv2 dragged on a bit, and even Ragnarok's pacing felt a bit off to me, but in my opinion this movie has some of the best pacing I've seen in a movie recently. Nothing goes on too long; the action is short and sweet, but satisfying.

I don't really mind the deviations from the source material (the introduction of the Ned character, MJ, no Uncle Ben, etc.). I don't really see this movie as an adaption of Spider-Man as much as I see it as a high-school drama/comedy that happens to star Spider-Man. I honestly see this movie as more comparable to something like Edge of Seventeen or Breakfast Club (just with significantly more action) than a typical superhero movie like the Raimi Spider-mans. I definitely understand why fans get upset about these deviations, but it doesn't bug me.

One thing that did bug me a little on this rewatch was the suit. I'm still a huge fan of the look, but the more I watch it, the more I'm not sure I'm sold on the amount of tech and gadgets they gave him. I'm fine with Tony Stark creating his suit, and I wouldn't have minded a couple fun gadgets (maybe the drone, three or four web shooter combinations, and the armpit wings); but I felt like the amount of gadgets was kind of overkill. Did he need 576 different web shooter combinations and a kill mode? I suppose the micro-technology for the AI makes sense, but it takes a lot of suspension of disbelief to believe he can fit all these gadgets (including a whole parachute and heating system) into that skin tight suit. Even the AI sort of undermines Peter's intelligence if he can just use it to instantly calculate a solution any problem. I like that it gives him a way to express dialog during action, but I feel like it would be more interesting if he had to solve problems using his own wit and limited resources. I might have preferred it if he had just talked to Ned over the phone/earpiece instead of the AI (or just monologue to himself). That much being said, I feel like the suit worked fine for this particular story (since the point was that he had to learn to work without it), but I think it has the potential to make Spider-man very overpowered and somewhat uninteresting in the future, unless he loses it or damages the gadgets every film.

Overall its definitely a solid movie, and I'm glad I watched it a third time.

I mean, they have to show it. Last movie ended on it so they logically better get to it sooner than later. :funny:

How ironic that it's featured in the comic book that shall not be named. :o

"Quote from our god" I hope people don't have to start with the creepy Zaddy-like stuff for Feige LOL!

And yeah I am wondering how Spidey 2 is going to address Aunt May figuring out the secret, I figured that the next film would open where Homecoming left off, but our god :-)o) has said that the sequel would actually open 5 minutes after the end of Avengers 4 or something like that so :huh:

"Quote from our god" I hope people don't have to start with the creepy Zaddy-like stuff for Feige LOL!

And yeah I am wondering how Spidey 2 is going to address Aunt May figuring out the secret, I figured that the next film would open where Homecoming left off, but our god :-)o) has said that the sequel would actually open 5 minutes after the end of Avengers 4 or something like that so :huh:

I'm curious too, in both 616 and in the Ultimates, May had found out. OMD reset her finding out in 616 though.

What I liked in both cases is that angle turned May into a asset and sometimes it did get hilarious, especially when other teen heroes had to temporarily stay with peter for various reasons.

I'm curious how the take will be in the MCU.

Last edited:
Homecoming is 13th in the list of all time top 50 SH movies on Collider's list - that is above every other Spiderman movie. :p

Homecoming is 13th in the list of all time top 50 SH movies on Collider's list - that is above every other Spiderman movie. :p

I still think Spider-Man 2 is a better movie, but man I loved Homecoming. Can't wait to see how Peter's story develops.

I know I was one of the biggest skeptics on the suit, but I'm 100% sold on it now. The AI, the webs, the everything.

1. The AI was Marvel's way of getting Spider-Man to do monologues on film. Without it we wouldn't have gotten what I think is the most fleshed-out Peter Parker we have on film.

2. I liked how Peter gained access to all that by hacking it while Tony only wanted him to get those options much later. It doesn't just display Peter's intelligence, it shows why he's Spider-Man and not Spider-Boy.

3. The new webbing is actually the most Ditko-esque take on the webbings since the Ditko days. Ditko's initially webbing was more fluid-like and could do anything (Peter could make objects and animals out of them). After other artists started drawing the webs as little strands coming out, the webbing lots a lot of its versatility.

5. Scientists created real artificial webbing in a lab about a year or two ago. If ordinary real-life people upgrade, it makes sense superheroes upgrade.

6. So far I didn't feel Peter is in any less danger than in the comics despite the upgraded suit.

7. So far the webbing combinations we've seen Peter used are strategy-based, which is even more interesting given he had no training.

I think what I suggested on the previous page wouldn’t have effected that too much though. And sorry but it bothers me that Peter was more wanting to live to Stark than Uncle Ben. It bothers me a lot in fact.

Agreed on Uncle Ben, but I don't think this is true.

If you don't mind me asking, are you familiar with the comedian Trevor Noah? I remember reading somewhere his mom taught him to "face the injustice under apartheid through humor". He said he uses this skill in his satire. If asked what comedians he tried to live up to after becoming a comedian though, he'd probably cite Jon Stewart and a few others.

If we applied that analogy to Peter, Ben and Tony played similar roles. Peter might have tried to emulate Tony after he became a hero, but it was Ben who got him to become a hero. It was Ben who gave Peter his principles, while Homecoming is all about Peter coming to the realization that Tony isn't that in line with his principles. Ben is the reason Peter will try to not make the mistakes Tony did, in other words. I think that difference is crucial.

Last edited:
I know I was one of the biggest skeptics on the suit, but I'm 100% sold on it now. The AI, the webs, the everything.

1. The AI was Marvel's way of getting Spider-Man to do monologues on film. Without it we wouldn't have gotten what I think is the most fleshed-out Peter Parker we have on film.

2. I liked how Peter gained access to all that by hacking it while Tony only wanted him to get those options much later. It doesn't just display Peter's intelligence, it shows why he's Spider-Man and not Spider-Boy.

3. The new webbing is actually the most Ditko-esque take on the webbings since the Ditko days. Ditko's initially webbing was more fluid-like and could do anything (Peter could make objects and animals out of them). After other artists started drawing the webs as little strands coming out, the webbing lots a lot of its versatility.

5. Scientists created real artificial webbing in a lab about a year or two ago. If ordinary real-life people upgrade, it makes sense superheroes upgrade.

6. So far I didn't feel Peter is in any less danger than in the comics despite the upgraded suit.

7. So far the webbing combinations we've seen Peter used are strategy-based, which is even more interesting given he had no training.

Agreed on Uncle Ben, but I don't think this is true.

If you don't mind me asking, are you familiar with the comedian Trevor Noah? I remember reading somewhere his mom taught him to "face the injustice under apartheid through humor". He said he uses this skill in his satire. If asked what comedians he tried to live up to after becoming a comedian though, he'd probably cite Jon Stewart and a few others.

If we applied that analogy to Peter, Ben and Tony played similar roles. Peter might have tried to emulate Tony after he became a hero, but it was Ben who got him to become a hero. It was Ben who gave Peter his principles, while Homecoming is all about Peter coming to the realization that Tony isn't that in line with his principles. Ben is the reason Peter will try to not make the mistakes Tony did, in other words. I think that difference is crucial.

Agree 100% on all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"