Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 113

We'll get the Bugle and Ben and such in sequels, I am sure. I am not bothered by this at all, and I can see why they didn't want to rehash those elements this movie.

I'm bothered. I was less bothered by the lack of Ben in Homecoming, but I think we should get some time dedicated to why Peter is Spider-man and why he believes in "with great power, comes great responsibility".

Though I'm more worried about the lack of Daily Bugle and Jameson. I don't want to see them skip over something essential to the mythos. Same with them skipping Harry and Norman. Granted they don't want to redo Goblin for a while, but the longer they leave it the harder it will be to introduce major aspects of the mythos.

So after completely boycotting the MCU ever since Andrew Garfield got replaced (the last movie I actually watched was the original Guardians of the Galaxy)...
... I finally did it. I watched Spider-Man: Homecoming.

giphy.gif

I'm gonna just.. go back and watch the older Spidey movies again instead.

*reads user title, notices Andrew Garfield avatar*

Yep, no bias here. :o

The film's been nominated for four Saturn Awards. Best Comics-to-Screen Adaptation, Best Supporting Actor (Michael Keaton) and Best Young Actor (Tom Holland and Zendaya).

Keaton was great. I really hope there's more of the Vulture in the sequel.

So after completely boycotting the MCU ever since Andrew Garfield got replaced (the last movie I actually watched was the original Guardians of the Galaxy)...

That's like boycotting the nice new dad for the abuse the old one caused.

giphy.gif

Okay. Enjoy. Ehh.

Michael Keaton was one of the few highlights in this below average movie.

giphy.gif

Andrew Garfield wasn't even in the MCU.

Yeah there is when it comes to Daltonio. He was against Garfield being replaced and Spidey going into the MCU from the get-go. That's why he said he was boycotting the MCU ever since.

He was dead against it from day one. It never stood a chance with him.

Too much information?

Ok, there is something I wonder about when it comes to the bit of taking the suit away from Peter; did Tony expect that Pete would not throw himself into bigger trouble if the suit he can use to keep an eye on him through was taken away from?

I watched Homecoming again last night for the first time in awhile--this was my 5th time seeing it, I think.

Homecoming, imo, seems to get better with each viewing. I still have some minor nitpicks but the MCU has made a great version of Spider-Man.

Most of my complaints with Homecoming really are just nitpicks (such as the "8 Years Later" timestamp). But the movie is really amazing, almost like a lightning in a bottle.

giphy.gif

:funny:

Hope you've been doing well, bud.

I'm watching the movie again as part of my MCU marathon celebrating the 10th anniversary of Iron Man, and I'm enjoying it significantly more than I did the last three times.

That still doesn't change that it's an overrated movie.

I don't think it's overrated but I do wish they would've acknowledged Uncle Ben. At least a line or something. And no I don't think that an interview with one of the producers really counts.

I don't use that word as an opinion, stopped doing that after a certain movie broke my heart two years ago. This movie is simply not nearly as great as its reputation states.
Plenty of moments are just off and there is plenty of inconsistencies. And I'm talking as someone who enjoyed the movie today.

They kinda did mention Ben when Peter told Ned "After what happened to her" about May.

I don't use that word as an opinion, stopped doing that after a certain movie broke my heart two years ago.

Doesn't change the fact that what you're saying is still an opinion no matter what way you want to state it.

I don't think it's overrated but I do wish they would've acknowledged Uncle Ben. At least a line or something. And no I don't think that an interview with one of the producers really counts.

The MCU Spidey has hinted at Uncle Ben twice:

1. In Civil War when Stark is talking to Peter about why he's Spider-Man. Peter references something about "bad things happening" because of something he did (or didn't do).

2. In Spider-Man: Homecoming when Ned finds out about Peter's identity and Peter tells him not to tell May because of "everything she's been through this year."

Uncle Ben's name has not been said in the MCU, but he has been referenced. Right now, I'm okay with that. We didn't need another Uncle Ben dying on screen, nor did we need a sepia-toned flashback of Uncle Ben dying in Homecoming. I certainly hope he's referenced a bit more in future movies though, especially since The Amazing Spider-Man movies had Peter basically not care at all about Uncle Ben. I don't want to see Uncle Ben dying again, but I don't want him to get completely brushed off either. He's far too vital to what makes Spider-Man ... Spider-Man.

In terms of adaptations, I think that Spider-Man: Homecoming is the most accurate adaptation of a Spider-Man story in the sense that it's essentially just about Spidey (a kid who's just trying to do good, but is in way over his head) stopping a bad guy from stealing stuff (which is great, especially since every blockbuster these days seems to be about the blue laser in the sky and it's the end of the world, haha). Thematically, though, I think the Sam Raimi movies got it right.

I want some of the themes of guilt to be more present in the next MCU Spider-Man movie. Tom Holland is my favorite actor as Spider-Man to date, and Infinity War totally proved to me that he's got the acting chops for some more dramatic material to work with. If Holland can be given a movie that's on par with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2, I would be beyond overjoyed.

Also, the more I watch Homecoming, the more I love it. I saw it in theaters twice (and during that time period, I said "I really like it"). Since owning it on Blu-Ray, though? I keep going back to it, and I'm definitely at a state of "love" with this movie now, haha. I think what prevented me from loving the movie at first is that the film started to lose me a bit when all of the high-tech stuff with the suit was starting to take center stage ... But the movie brought me back in with the ending. That's a big reason as to why I've enjoyed the film 100x more on rewatch ('cause I know he's not just going to be the MCU's "Iron Man Jr.")

Last edited:
Doesn't change the fact that what you're saying is still an opinion no matter what way you want to state it.
"I like/dislike this movie" is an opinion, stating issues it has is not an opinion.
Calling it one of the "Best superhero movies" is not an opinion, saying "It's one of my favorite superhero movies" is an opinion.

"I like/dislike this movie" is an opinion, stating issues it has is not an opinion.
Calling it one of the "Best superhero movies" is not an opinion, saying "It's one of my favorite superhero movies" is an opinion.

Yes, it is. Who are you to dictate factually its not one of the best superhero movies, and tell anyone who thinks so they are factually wrong? Issues for you may not be issues for others. Hence why its an opinion.

Yes, it is. Who are you to dictate factually its not one of the best superhero movies, and tell anyone who thinks so they are factually wrong? Issues for you may not be issues for others. Hence why its an opinion.
Steve-Rogers-itf-puffycheaks1-and-callie2899-32879155-245-170.gif

I'll just stop here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"