Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

I know it's conditional for the deal to have been made, but I'm dreading the heck of this idea of Tom crossing over to both universes. I mean Venom is bad enough but now Morbius, Madame Web, who knows what else being semi canon to the Mcu too?.. Ugh.. I don't know man.

They've tried to steer away from previous incarnations of the character (Garfield and Maguire), successfully so, but I think is time now to bring back some of the classic character traits and worldbuilding. Far From Home was the last bit of "hey, let's make a John Hughes film but with Spider-Man!" and my guess is the ending of it (with the classic final swinging and the reappearance of you-know-who) is a step towards the Spidey we all know and love. I hope they go there.

What I'm curious about is Sony allowed to use the MCU suit(s) in their movies if they wanted to?

I known I am a few hours late to this but so glad Spiderman is staying in the MCU and cool that we already got a release date for the next movie and dont have to wait to get a release date and when you think about it 2021 summer is not really that far away I mean we should get some kind of casting next year

Have we gotten any more details about this like what the split will be?

Ok not sure if true but I just heard Disney will get 25% of the profit and is paying 25% of the movies budget.

The MCU has completely rejuvenated Peter Parker for me after ASM. I had little to no interest in another high school Peter but the world they put him in miraculously feels fresh and familiar to me. The moment when Peter finds out the Vulture is Liz's dad and the tense car ride was quintessential bad luck Parker. I think his supporting cast is hilarious and the movies have delivered interesting action sequences (like the elevator in HC and the Mysterio illusions in FFH). In contrast, I can't remember much about the action in movies like Age of Ultron or Iron Man 2.

We get two more movies with Holland, adding up to 7 total with the best live-action Spider-man we've ever seen. I'd obviously like more but even if that report is true and even it's done after two more movies (which I don't know if I believe) what a good run.

And who knows, maybe Sony's live-action Spider-verse movies will actually turn out... good? Dare I hope? They aren't off to a great start but who knows.

::facepalm::

Couldn’t we just enjoy this good news for one day.

I'm not gonna read the article because I don't like comic book dot com. They're a cheap click bait site.

Imo, I wouldn't count this as bad news. If anything I'd think Feige writing Spider-Man out of the MCU is an obvious necessity. As we've already seen, the deal between Sony and Disney is fragile. It's temporary not permanent. So, the smart thing to do is have a way out that is fluid and makes sense should this deal not be renewed again. Feige plans these movies out in advance...again, seems like this would be an obvious thing.

It's just not the right time for Sony to have Spider-Man on their own again. And by right time, I mean Avi Arad is still employed there.

They just need to concentrate on the Spider-Verse. That's truly something special they've created with the first film.

Hey Spider-Gnome! Haven't seen you around in awhile. Hope all is well.

Hey, Webhead! I usually don't have time to post. But I still keep up with all these threads on these boards (glad to see you guys enjoying the Spidey comics again!). I also agree with your Arad comment. I don't trust Sony and after hearing all their announced plans, I see they have learned nothing.

Very happy Spidey is still in the MCU at the moment. I hope he stays and they don't write him out. I look forward to a new trilogy in college. Sure, I don't like some of the changes they feel like they had to make to differentiate MCU Spidey from previous cinematic Spidey's. But Tom Holland is perfect (and so is the Homecoming suit, PLEASE bring it back!) and his movies have been fun. Vulture and Mysterio came out great. And I have warmed up to MJ and hope they can start making her a bit closer to comic MJ, which I believe Zendaya can pull off.

They've tried to steer away from previous incarnations of the character (Garfield and Maguire), successfully so, but I think is time now to bring back some of the classic character traits and worldbuilding. Far From Home was the last bit of "hey, let's make a John Hughes film but with Spider-Man!" and my guess is the ending of it (with the classic final swinging and the reappearance of you-know-who) is a step towards the Spidey we all know and love. I hope they go there.
I completely agree, one of the problems all Sony spider-man films had since Spider-man 2 is that they all pretty much tried to do the same thing. Marvel was brilliant in doing something different, changing locations, adding different quirk to the supporting cast, all while still capturing the spirit of the character/mythos in a way none other film has gotten before.

These two films have really felt like like the original stories from the comics. From character dynamics to story development they really nailed the feeling without relying on many tired cliche's and making it feel more contemporary and fresh.

I understand why some people don't like it even though I disagree. It's definitely true that the greatest Spider-man film ever would have been one where everyone forgot the Maguire/Garfield films exists and Marvel Studios didn't need to dance around that baggage.

One of the things I loved about Far From Home's ending is the classic Spider-man in Manhattan, with the Daily Bugle bashing him. Felt like a they're teasing a return to form.

Folks just need to chill. At the very least, we're getting closure to a MCU Spidey trilogy, and he'll make one more appearance in another film. It's always possible they negotiate another deal down the road, but for the time being this will work.

The MCU has completely rejuvenated Peter Parker for me after ASM. I had little to no interest in another high school Peter but the world they put him in miraculously feels fresh and familiar to me. The moment when Peter finds out the Vulture is Liz's dad and the tense car ride was quintessential bad luck Parker. I think his supporting cast is hilarious and the movies have delivered interesting action sequences (like the elevator in HC and the Mysterio illusions in FFH). In contrast, I can't remember much about the action in movies like Age of Ultron or Iron Man 2.

It's no surprise this version of Spidey is really connecting with audiences and we finally got our billion dollar movie. I'm like you, and for whatever reason I've connected more with this iteration of Spidey than any of the others.

Maybe cuz I was a casual comic Spidey reader and not hardcore it was easy for me to connect with this newer version of supporting cast. They all feel fresh and relevant in ways the others didn't to me, especially this version of Aunt May.

I think maybe the hardcore fans who aren't connecting want a Spidey surrounded by the familiar faces that essentially played a major role in making Spidey who he is so I get those who aren't 100% on board. I don't know this for sure but I got the sense Marvel was planning on stirring Spidey in that direction over time. The beauty of what they've done is they've created a whole new interesting tone all the while persevering the spirit and essence of both Parker and Spidey, then maybe in his college years progress him to a place where he's more confident and then surround him with all the familiar faces from the comics (Harry and Mary Jane--or Gwen).

I thought the MCU had lots of time on their hands with Spidey but now I'm not so sure. If he's not going to continue on they can at least give him a proper send off.

It's no surprise this version of Spidey is really connecting with audiences and we finally got our billion dollar movie. I'm like you, and for whatever reason I've connected more with this iteration of Spidey than any of the others.

Maybe cuz I was a casual comic Spidey reader and not hardcore it was easy for me to connect with this newer version of supporting cast. They all feel fresh and relevant in ways the others didn't to me, especially this version of Aunt May.

I think maybe the hardcore fans who aren't connecting want a Spidey surrounded by the familiar faces that essentially played a major role in making Spidey who he is so I get those who aren't 100% on board. I don't know this for sure but I got the sense Marvel was planning on stirring Spidey in that direction over time. The beauty of what they've done is they've created a whole new interesting tone all the while persevering the spirit and essence of both Parker and Spidey, then maybe in his college years progress him to a place where he's more confident and then surround him with all the familiar faces from the comics (Harry and Mary Jane--or Gwen).

I thought the MCU had lots of time on their hands with Spidey but now I'm not so sure. If he's not going to continue on they can at least give him a proper send off.

To an extent I agree with you. I do feel it’s easier for casual fans to enjoy this interpretation of Spider-Man....However that’s the case for every super hero movie. Some fans can be extremely hyper critical nitpicking at everything (myself included) when they have read the material in comics for their entire lives.

I’m one of those fans that at times has a hard time connecting with the MCU Spider-Man. Personally, It’s never really been about the support cast though. It’s more about him as a character and the direction the MCU took him in when they integrated him in. It never resonated with me. It also left me in a weird spot because I loved Tom Holland. At this stage how can anyone not? Lol

I also believe the “spirit and essence” of the character was more prevalent and faithful in the previous Sony movies then what Disney did. Not debating which movies are better. That’s a different argument...I just feel Sony did some things much better with the character. It’s just a personal preference though.

Hey, Webhead! I usually don't have time to post. But I still keep up with all these threads on these boards (glad to see you guys enjoying the Spidey comics again!). I also agree with your Arad comment. I don't trust Sony and after hearing all their announced plans, I see they have learned nothing.

Very happy Spidey is still in the MCU at the moment. I hope he stays and they don't write him out. I look forward to a new trilogy in college. Sure, I don't like some of the changes they feel like they had to make to differentiate MCU Spidey from previous cinematic Spidey's. But Tom Holland is perfect (and so is the Homecoming suit, PLEASE bring it back!) and his movies have been fun. Vulture and Mysterio came out great. And I have warmed up to MJ and hope they can start making her a bit closer to comic MJ, which I believe Zendaya can pull off.

Well if you get a chance, you should swing by the comics section. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new issues/runs :yay:

As for the movies, I'm not really a fan of this iteration though I will say I'm glad that Sony/Disney were able to work out a deal again. Which i know sounds weird for me to say but I honestly believe if Sony were to make another film right now on their own, it'd be worse than the MCU version. And who knows, maybe things will improve with the 3rd film. I'm open to liking it but I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to it. At the moment I'm feeling indifferent.

Thats the thing though...sony already did those things TWICE...you can't just do the same thing a 3rd time. They will start introducing more classic elements as things go along.

After reflecting on the news over the weekend, I think what's going on is this:
We know that Apple has an offer on the table to buy Sony pictures. If Apple buys Sony, then the rights revert back to Marvel. Marvel wins, Sony is under new management, the old regime doesn't care.
Problem: Sony making poor decisions and damaging their IP. Well, what if Sony agreed to this deal with Disney to keep their value high until the studio is sold? This way, Apple can buy a studio with a couple of more wins in their book. Sure, they won't get to keep the Spider-Man rights, but the fact that Sony can make smart decisions may help sway Apple to buy them, regardless of losing such a valuable IP.
However, had Sony declined the deal with Disney, and then made their own Spider-man film, wrecked the franchise, and doubled-down only to lose millions, then Apple would scoop them up for a song, and Sony would lose out on the billion or so dollars they could make until the buyout comes to fruition. If Sony Pictures wants to exist, they need their IP untainted...and if they want to sell, they need to prove they are business savvy and worthy of purchasing. So, the simplest solution for them is to keep cost down, keep profits high (Venom, Spider-Verse, Homecoming, Far From Home) , and make well-received films (Spider-Verse, Far From Home, Homecoming), so they can at least have some weight to throw around.
I mean...this is the team that green-lit a third Smurfs movie, as well as "The Emoji Movie". Their decision making is questionable, to say the least.

Just my thoughts. Could all be incorrect gibberish, but I enjoy typing and talking, so who cares?!

rights are not reversible when you read the publicly available version of the contract that leaked during the whole e-mail debacle.

it is unknown if any further changes have been made.

Also, I found this comment interesting in the Flash discussion.
F7aMNx2.png

To an extent I agree with you. I do feel it’s easier for casual fans to enjoy this interpretation of Spider-Man....However that’s the case for every super hero movie. Some fans can be extremely hyper critical nitpicking at everything (myself included) when they have read the material in comics for their entire lives.

I’m one of those fans that at times has a hard time connecting with the MCU Spider-Man. Personally, It’s never really been about the support cast though. It’s more about him as a character and the direction the MCU took him in when they integrated him in. It never resonated with me. It also left me in a weird spot because I loved Tom Holland. At this stage how can anyone not? Lol

I also believe the “spirit and essence” of the character was more prevalent and faithful in the previous Sony movies then what Disney did. Not debating which movies are better. That’s a different argument...I just feel Sony did some things much better with the character. It’s just a personal preference though.
I hear ya and there are no rights and wrongs just what you feel. I think because this was the first real teenager playing the character that, for me it felt more authentic and that played a major role in why I feel this version of Spidey really got the spirit and essence of Spidey down the most. It wasn't a grown man with a cast of adults pretending to be kids- that helped it tremendously for me. Him being a wide eyed kid in real life and not nearly as known as the other actors were when they first played Spidey helped the movie because it felt it felt like a more honest portrayal for me.

And it's cool u realize that even though Conecting w.the MCU Spidey has been tricky for u, for whatever reason this version seems to be resonating with the masses pretty much across the board.

The MCU won't have him much longer it seems so those who enjoyed this version will likely get closure and as the MCU and Sony will someday likely stop sharing you may get what you wanted with the MCU no being a part of his story and maybe u will finally have that connection that's missing for u!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"