No Way Home Spider-Man No Way Home - Rate and Review Thread (Spoilers)

My review:

tumblr_nxnoszJIqk1r83egao1_540.jpg

shia-1.jpg

shia-labeouf-all-my-movies.jpg

shia-400x247.gif

9/10

No Way Home ends what I feel was a beautiful Trilogy and story arc for this quite unconventional take on Spider-Man, and it does that in a way that's both bombastic and emotional thanks mostly to the relationships between each character.

Tom Holland ends the movie becoming the version of Peter/Spider-Man purists wanted since Homecoming, which I feel was a bit unfair as both Homecoming and far from home kept things fresh compared to Raimi's and Webb's sagas, at least in my opinion.

I think the story was handled very well considering how much stuff there was on screen. From the trailers some plot points of characters' choice seemed to make Little sense, but it all works in the movie. Watts manages to keep the characters at the centre of it, everyone gets at least a moment to shine, even Murdock's cameo was great. I really want Spidey and Daredevil team-up against Fisk in the future, now that it's possible. I also felt MJ and Ned were lovely in this. I think Watts is going to crush It with Fantastic Four.

The villains from the old movies do a really great job, Dafoe being the standout. Molina and Foxx were also great, although when you see them all together, it's so clear how terrible the villains in the Amazing movies were compared to the Raimi/Watts ones.

Andrew and Tobey were wonderful, the former especially, he was done so dirty in his movies I hope he gets the chance to shine again in the future. I Imagine both Marvel and Sony know there's potential there and Garfield is just an outstanding actor who clearly LOVES playing Peter. The scenes of the three Peters were absolutely delightful and made me very emotional.

All in all an incredible experience I can't wait to have again ASAP. 9/10
P.S Raimi's Strange looks Fire!

Review time (spoiler):

I remember very well the day Spider-Man first came out on the silver screen. I convinced my mother to let me skip school that day, wasn't hard cause I was always the kind of child who could miss 4 days of school and still get every question right on the test, and before the movie we went to Toys R' Us where I promptly bought the entire first wave of figures before seeing the movie. It was a wonderful day capped off by a wonderful movie. It is one of my favorite movie going experiences of my life and a memory I value greatly.

But that all said, though I have lots of nostalgia for that day, the prospect of seeing a multiverse Spider-Man film with all the previous characters returning isn't one I was all that excited about. While I love the old Tobey movies, a movie isn't great because of fan service. You still need a great story, compelling characters, etc. This movie was going to live and die based on its own merits, not by digging up memories of the past. Fortunately for me, this succeeds at far more than being a nostalgia tour.

When it comes to our MCU Spider-Man, I have enjoyed both of Holland's prior films quite a bit. I love him in the role, the villains were aces, and seeing Spider-Man interact with the broader Marvel world was great. But all that did come at the expense of several things I love about the character. Prior to No Way Home, it just felt too easy for Peter. We didn't see the balance of his 2 lives causing that many issues for him, at least not in ways Holland's Peter much cared about. That changed with this movie. No Way Home is the MCU's best representation of Spider-Man by far. Peter has a ton of issues caused by his mistakes in this film, and it costs his loved ones as well. You can relate to his decision to ease that burden on everyone else, and when it all goes wrong, Peter very much has to deal with the fallout of his own actions. There isn't a Tony Stark here to fall back on, and it is like the film went out of its way to reintroduce these core Spider-Man struggles. I am very happy they did this. It is the heart of the film and really what makes this film work so well

What is going to get the most attention though is the more gimmicky multiverse stuff. I will be frank and say I don't have any nostalgia for either film in The Amazing Spider-Man series. I was especially irked when I found out we would be seeing the return of Electro, who frankly made me cringe almost every scene he was in when we last saw him. Thankfully, we saw less cake boy here and basically just let Jamie Foxx play himself. I wouldn't call Electro a great villain in this, but he didn't make me want to pour beer in my eyes and ears at least. That is an upgrade. Lizard and Sandman are just basically here. They are around quite a bit, but are mostly just CG characters most of their screen time and just fill out the roster.

It should surprise no one that the 2 stand out villains were also 2 of the most beloved: Alfred Molina's Doc Ock and Dafoe's Green Goblin. I was nervous about Ock in this one. Spider-Man 2 is still the undisputed master of the franchise for me, and Ock's redemption at the end is wonderful. But it also more or less turned him good. So seeing him as a villain had me worried he was regressing as a character. While Molina's Ock is handled with a bit more comedy in a few scenes than I would like, he absolutely stays true to what we say in his last outing. It was wonderful to see. But the MVP of the villains in this movie is Willem Dafoe as the Goblin. Simply put, he is just amazing and hasn't missed a beat at all. He is every bit as fun and menacing as ever in this film, and pretty brutal as well. He steals the show every scene he is in. All in all, the villains work.

But what everyone came to see was the team-up. Let me start with Andrew Garfield. I disliked his movies, and I found his version of Parker mostly unlikable in those movies. He screwed around too much in dangerous situations, felt more like an attempt to appeal to the YA crowd than be Peter Parker, and I just wasn't into his version of the character. That said, this appearance was easily his best in the role. The unlikable elements that rubbed me the wrong way are stripped out of here, and instead we get some great Spider-Man speeches imparting wisdom to the younger Tom Holland continuing where his previous movie had left him. I actually liked him here. But I am a Tobey Maguire guy, so naturally I was more interested in his use. I think the movie did him justice as well. He too gets to impart wisdom upon Tom Holland, and it is a much better send off for the character than his last outing was. Seeing the 3 interact was also a lot of fun, and you can see the actors had a wonderful time with it. That fun was definitely infectious.

I had many reservations entering this movie: Would the fan service overshadow everything else? Would this feel like a Spider-Man story? Would this kind of lose the plot and story? Would this do justice for Tom Holland's Spider-Man and be HIS story? Thankfully this movie passes on all fronts. It is an MCU film though, so expect the usual humor now and again and the various MCUisms for lack of a better word. This is a darker story than the prior 2 Spider-Man films though, and has a lot more emotion behind it. This juggles being both a conclusion to the Tom Holland Home Trilogy as well as a celebration of the Spider-Man franchise as a whole at the same time. While I think Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse are still your kings of the franchise, this is one of the better entries in the franchise and definitely Tom Holland's best outing. It also sets up Tom Holland's story pretty well for future success, and I am excited about the direction they seem to be taking him for future movies.

5 out of 5

On a final note, the 1st post credits scene with Eddie Brock going back to his world further confuses me on how this proposed Hardy and Holland eventual crossover will go. Sort of nonsensical to just, send him to the MCU in his movie, then boot him back immediately. Yeah, it leaves the potential there for a black suit story, but it is still a major WTF are we doing here from a story standpoint.

Last edited:
There is definately going to be a Holland vs Hardy movie but it Will probably be Just a Sony movie where Peter travels to Eddie's world. The Multiverse is wide open now. Marvel will handle Spidey getting the black suit first while Feige doesn't let those terrible Venom movies be part of the MCU.

Sitting on it still but overall this is easily one of the best Spider-man movies and MCU movies to date. I didn’t love FFH and was concerned this movie would just be a sugar rush stuffed with fan service but they really stuck the landing, particularly with some of the emotional moments. The ending is potentially my favorite ending of any superhero movie ever, I might say.

It also did the impossible and made me want another Andrew Garfield Spider-man movie? Sony had a home run with that casting decision and really wasted it. The moment where he begrudgingly acknowledges his status as the 3rd Spider-man is just an A+ meta joke.

Sitting on it still but overall this is easily one of the best Spider-man movies and MCU movies to date. I didn’t love FFH and was concerned this movie would just be a sugar rush stuffed with fan service but they really stuck the landing, particularly with some of the emotional moments. The ending is potentially my favorite ending of any superhero movie ever, I might say.

It also did the impossible and made me want another Andrew Garfield Spider-man movie? Sony had a home run with that casting decision and really wasted it. The moment where he begrudgingly acknowledges his status as the 3rd Spider-man is just an A+ meta joke.

I get the feeling we'll see Garfield's Spider-Man in the future. Feige is smart, he knows people love him and Sony made him dirty, after all wasn't the original plan to merge ASM with the Avengers back in 2012?

Audience ratings are in:

"No Way Home gets 5 stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak from general audiences and a massive 95% positive rating."

With this extremely high level of audience response, this is gonna be a monster at the boxofiice

I still see no chance for a TASM3 or SM4. At best, maybe they will be in Spiderverse 2 or maybe Secret Wars if they do a full on multiverse version of it. But solos ain't happening

Spider-man No Way Home

Where do I even begin? I dont wanna go too long and ramble and I'm still processing my thoughts so I'm going to try to distill it the best way possible. I have been amongst the harshest critics of this MCU interpretation of Spider-Man. After his PHENOMENAL debut in Civil War, Tom Holland was on course to being the best live action Spider-man we ever had. And then we had Homecoming...and Far From Home and it seemed like they took 3 steps back. The movies were OKAY, very light on their feet, and heavy emphasis on comedy and low stakes and I just felt like they could be doing SO much better with the character. And John Watts just seemed like such a workman director, no visual or stylistic pinache like Raimi and Webb just...whatever.

So after Far From Home I resigned myself to the notion that this Spiderman just simply is not for me. Then all the rumors for this movie started surfacing about bringing all these characters back and once again my interest piqued. A crazy, ambitious concept but one that could easily fall apart. But bringing together three generations of Spider-men is an intriguing gimmick, I thought. So my hype levels grew and grew and grew and....

This movie f***ing delivered! Jon Watts delivered easily one of the best cbms of the past past decade. This movie was epic, it was emotional, it still retained the humor and and comedy of the first two movies, it had stakes, it had IN-credible crowd pleasing geek out moments and it didnt pull punches. The way this movie ended had my jaw on the ground. It was the PERFECT ending and one that puts our hero back into his CLASSIC form, and sets up a much more comic book accurate Spider-man going forward. But the way they got there-- wow, I was floored by how ballsy they were. And thats what i like in my cbms, I want my cbms to be fun and have humor, but I want stakes and I want consequences. This movie finally delivered on what Spider-man is all about and his famous mantra: With Great Power comes Great Responsibility.

I have so so so much more to say and I have some nitpicks and things that irked me, but those summarized my overall thoughts on the movie. Bravo, Sony. Bravo Marvel. Bravo Jon Watts. I loved this movie. This made me happy to be a Spider-man fan again. I dont know if I'm ready to proclaim this better than Raimi's Spider-man 2 but this is easily one of the best cbms that Marvel has produced.

10/10

Is this movie perfect? No. Does it have flaws? Yes. Does anyone care? No.

This is EXACTLY what a movie like this should be. This is the kind of movie for people that love to go to the movies. This is the movie that you MUST see in a theater. I thought it would be hard to beat Shang-Chi as my favorite CBM of the year, but SMNWH did that and more!

Let's face it, Spider-man 3 was a let down. TASM 2 was perhaps even more of a let down. This is the first Spider-man trilogy where every film in it holds the highest standard and each film somehow manages to top the others before it. This is also the best third installment of any solo MCU character, topping IM3, CA:CW, and Thor Ragnarok.

Here's a film that has all the fan service you can possibly want, but unlike the Star Wars sequel Trilogy the fan servicing here does not exist to try and hold up a shoddy or non-existent plot line.

I am still amazed how this movie has as much dire consequences and weight as Avengers Endgame, but still manages to make us smile, laugh at the same time. Making May the "uncle Ben" of the MCU was something I never saw coming and it still haunts me every time I think about it. I didn't think anything could be sadder than the Spider-man PS4 game showing Peter having to sacrifice May in order to save others. Well done John Watts you created something unexpected and yet familiar. It still makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Seeing all the familiar faces return is the highlight of this film. It's been nearly 20 years since the first Spider-man film, and seeing everyone together in this film, is one of those rare magic moments in film that comes together in such a magical way (no pun intended). This is far beyond fan servicing, this is a huge payoff to the fans for being a part of the Marvel revolution.

What is fascinating is how with all the cameos and extras in this film, Holland owns this film. There was a joke going around that Holland might be the cameo in his own movie, but not the case here. In fact his performance in this film might be the best of his tenure.

Just an all around fantastic achievement. Now can we get this film to a billion and bring in 2022 as a return to normalcy?

Just an all around fantastic achievement. Now can we get this film to a billion and bring in 2022 as a return to normalcy?

Glad you loved the movie. It currently has a higher theatre audience recommendation rating than Endgame...

Forget a billion, we can get close to 2! The WOM from the audience is that good.

10/10

This is EXACTLY what a movie like this should be. This is the kind of movie for people that love to go to the movies. This is the movie that you MUST see in a theater. I thought it would be hard to beat Shang-Chi as my favorite CBM of the year, but SMNWH did that and more!

Let's face it, Spider-man 3 was a let down. TASM 2 was perhaps even more of a let down. This is the first Spider-man trilogy where every film in it holds the highest standard and each film somehow manages to top the others before it. This is also the best third installment of any solo MCU character, topping IM3, CA:CW, and Thor Ragnarok.

Here's a film that has all the fan service you can possibly want, but unlike the Star Wars sequel Trilogy the fan servicing here does not exist to try and hold up a shoddy or non-existent plot line.

I am still amazed how this movie has as much dire consequences and weight as Avengers Endgame, but still manages to make us smile, laugh at the same time. Making May the "uncle Ben" of the MCU was something I never saw coming and it still haunts me every time I think about it. I didn't think anything could be sadder than the Spider-man PS4 game showing Peter having to sacrifice May in order to save others. Well done John Watts you created something unexpected and yet familiar. It still makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

Seeing all the familiar faces return is the highlight of this film. It's been nearly 20 years since the first Spider-man film, and seeing everyone together in this film, is one of those rare magic moments in film that comes together in such a magical way (no pun intended). This is far beyond fan servicing, this is a huge payoff to the fans for being a part of the Marvel revolution.

What is fascinating is how with all the cameos and extras in this film, Holland owns this film. There was a joke going around that Holland might be the cameo in his own movie, but not the case here. In fact his performance in this film might be the best of his tenure.

Excellent review dude, and love the bolded in line in particular. Spot on.

10/10

a
What is fasanating here is how with all the cameos and extras in this film, Holland owns this film. There was a joke going around that Holland might be the cameo in his own movie, but not the case here. In fact his performance in this film might be the best of his tenure.

Was just about to post my review than i read this masterpiece and realized there was nothing further left for me to say.
Completely spot on with my thoughts.

Especially what you said about Tom Holland.

And you gave me something new to think about with in regards to Spiderman 2 and The Amazing Spiderman 2.

Your completely right that No Way Home is the one conclusion to Spiderman series with loads of villains this actually stuck the landing.

Rami Triolgy ended on disappointing note Webb's ended on self l destructive note.

Watts has successfully made consistenty better more complete Spiderman trilogy while also redeeming and paying homage to the past.

Glad you loved the movie. It currently has a higher theatre audience recommendation rating than Endgame...

Forget a billion, we can get close to 2! The WOM from the audience is that good.
100%, I would love that. I guess I was being somewhat conservative because the pandemic really knocked down all movies. But yes, this movie deserves every last penny, I already bought tickets again for tonight! Let's do this!!!

Have you seen this yet @Arachnerd
Tomorrow. Scheduled it with some friends of mine for an IMAX viewing. So close, and yet so far. ^^'

Edit: Best friend's having a dinner out with his folks tomorrow so unfortunately no go there, but still for Sunday thankfully. Really looking forward to talking about it with you guys.

Last edited:
I like how the reviews are all subjective. We don't have to like everything and that's what makes films great. Not everyone likes the same films and that's 0kay.

This Movie was simply spectacular.

everything was top-notch:

Story/plot, the pacing, the acting, the music, the cinematography, just...everything. Even the "fan-service" put aside, the movie still works exceptionally well.

Best live-action Spider-Man movie (I'm still trying to decide if it's better than Spider-Verse...it's hard to gauge if I genuinely like it more or if it's "cause of nostalgia").

But for now, in the heat of the moment, i'll say it's the best.

and ALL 3 live-action Spider-Men are the best Spider-Man

You know what. It's just nice that not only was this an event film, but it felt like Spider-man's movie and not a spinoff film of another MCU character. That was always one of my issues with the first 2, particularly Homecoming.

Last edited:
This movie honestly just made me really happy. It's not perfect, but it has heart in spades. Did not expect an MCU Spider-man movie to hit this hard.

Willem Dafoe was fantastic, Andrew and Tobey knocked it out of the park... all the villains where so much fun to see back in action, and actually I kinda low-key loved the Lizard in this.

I have gripes, but I don't feel like talking about them. I'm just really happy, that's all.

Even though I've been going back to the movies since May, No Way Home was the film that truly made me feel like things were almost back to normal, with the exception of me wearing a mask for the entire duration of the movie. Seeing this on its opening night with a crowd full of fans was almost as epic as seeing Endgame on opening night, and was just a treat for longtime Spider-Man fans like myself to boot. This was easily the best of the MCU Spider-Man films by a country mile, and it's not like Homecoming or Far From Home were slouches in the quality department either. They were good, especially Homecoming, but we now finally have an MCU Spider-Man movie, arguably Marvel's most popular hero of all time, that can stand toe to toe with the likes of the best of the MCU such as The Avengers and Winter Soldier. It's not just a great Spider-Man film but a great love letter to the two decade history of Spider-Man in film.

It's definitely the best MCU Spidey movie for me for sure. All the stuff they did with him was the kind of stuff I was hoping to see more out of tenfold, it's like they did their experimenting with the previous movies and went all out to give him those kinds of greater personal conflicts. Strange is more interesting MCU foil to Spidey than Iron Man or Nick Fury, the characters have always been better fits with each other, lots of great Spidey/Strange teamups over the years (the two Ditko boys in the house). I'm very surprised at how different of a movie this felt like compared to the last two, like some of that DNA is obviously still there but it was a lot more dramatic and higher stakes when it needed to be.

All the old faces just added to the charm and really made every era of Spidey on film shine, I think that's the best thing this movie does- it validates everybody. It pokes at a lot of the things that the franchise has done and just has fun with it and sometimes is really poignant about it. It's the best version of nostalgia bait/fanservice that I've seen in this recent wave of things like this. It feels like Rise of Skywalker but if that was like 100% the opposite and done well and pretty much gives everybody what they wanted in as clean of a way as possible lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"