The 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

I wonder who gets to start in goal when Carolina defends it's title next season?

If the Canes make Ward their starter (which I think they should... he earned it), I can't see Gerber wanting to play backup after the season he just played.

It should be fun...

There's going to be quite a few goaltender rotations going on this off-season. What is the status of Cloutier after Auld played the majority of the season? Same with Anaheim with Giguere and Bryzgalov....

Eric Draven said:
There's going to be quite a few goaltender rotations going on this off-season. What is the status of Cloutier after Auld played the majority of the season? Same with Anaheim with Giguere and Bryzgalov....

I don't think Auld is in any position to threaten Cloutier's job... he did ok this season, but not well enough to get the Canucks into the playoffs. But the Canucks need a better goalie than Cloutier in my opinion.

And I can see Brian Burke trying to unload Giguere and his hefty salary.

I'd like to see Calgary pick up a better backup... I know Boucher had his shut out streak thing a few years ago, but I'm not sure he'll mature enough to be a starter.

Boucher is almost 30...:confused: But he's a very, very, very, very streaky goaltender. He can look very brilliant for a string of games but he'll also play like **** for a bunch of games afterwards.

It'll be interesting to see where Biron goes as well. After this year's playoffs, there certainly will be a bunch of starters who could go to different teams....

Its the morning after & I STILL CANT believe the the Edmonton Oilers lost! :(:(

When I read the Edmonton Journal today & saw the pics, I almost started to cry...... they showed pics of some of the oiler players after the game & some fans tearing up after the game around the city......... damn!

yeah I'm so happy the oilers..and that big goof pronger lost...dirty bastards

Wow! That game was pretty damn intense last night! That crowd was electric! Congrats to the Hurricanes: 2005-06 Stanley Cup Champions!!!

So yeah... just finished watching game 7 that I could only tape (I worked last night :(), and I have to say this:

Good job on Edmonton giving Carolina their insurance goal by pulling Markkanen in the final minutes of the game. An extra player on the ice won't help much if a breakaway happens.

WorthyStevens4 said:
So yeah... just finished watching game 7 that I could only tape (I worked last night :(), and I have to say this:

Good job on Edmonton giving Carolina their insurance goal by pulling Markkanen in the final minutes of the game. An extra player on the ice won't help much if a breakaway happens.

When there's only 2 minutes left or so and the game didn't go well overall, pulling a goalie allows for more offense to try and score a goal.

War Lord said:
When there's only 2 minutes left or so and the game didn't go well overall, pulling a goalie allows for more offense to try and score a goal.

I've never been a big fan of pulling the goalie during a playoff game. I mean, during a regular season game, I think it works fine. But in a high pressure game like Game 7, more mistakes can be made by taking the goalie away.

I just think Edmonton would've been better off if they didn't pull Markkanen.

WorthyStevens4 said:
I've never been a big fan of pulling the goalie during a playoff game. I mean, during a regular season game, I think it works fine. But in a high pressure game like Game 7, more mistakes can be made by taking the goalie away.

The way they played, there wouldn't have been much difference between a 2-1 loss and a 3-1 loss.

WorthyStevens4 said:

High risk, high reward. It's almost a unwritten playoff rule, if a team is down by one and they can pull their goalie they do it.

5 player trade went down tonight:

To Florida: Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld, Bryan Allen

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek

Horrible trade for the Panthers. Luongo is a hell of a player and has been the face of that franchise for some time and they just trade him off in exchange for some criminal. Blah. That's why hockey has such a tough time in Southern Florida. Go Heat, Go Dolphins, Go Marlins. Panthers...:down:

Go Web Go! said:
5 player trade went down tonight:

To Florida: Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld, Bryan Allen

To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek

Horrible trade for the Panthers. Luongo is a hell of a player and has been the face of that franchise for some time and they just trade him off in exchange for some criminal. Blah. That's why hockey has such a tough time in Southern Florida. Go Heat, Go Dolphins, Go Marlins. Panthers...:down:

But it was becoming apparent that Florida wasn't going to sign Luongo, so they shipped him off for some talent.

Auld is a few years away from becoming a decent starter and Bertuzzi, while I think he's over-rated, can put the puck in the net and dish out some tough hits.

Call me totally disappointed, but apparently Pronger wants a trade now due to "family issues" :rolleyes: :mad: :(

Eric Draven said:
Call me totally disappointed, but apparently Pronger wants a trade now due to "family issues" :rolleyes: :mad: :(

I wouldn't take faith in that until it becomes more "official".

:(

Bruins traded Andrew Raycroft to Toronto for prospect Tuuka Rask... another goalie. Ugh, we don't need anymore goalies. We have Hannu Toivonen... I thought the reason we were possibly going to trade Raycroft is because we had Hannu? Argh.

Slipknot said:
Bruins traded Andrew Raycroft to Toronto for prospect Tuuka Rask... another goalie. Ugh, we don't need anymore goalies. We have Hannu Toivonen... I thought the reason we were possibly going to trade Raycroft is because we had Hannu? Argh.

Well Toronto wasn't going to have two propects, the two goalies they have now and then Raycroft. Rask is a few years away, they have a Finnish connection with Toivonen, Rask and Thomas, also Boston got rid of some salary.

slinger said:
Well Toronto wasn't going to have two propects, the two goalies they have now and then Raycroft. Rask is a few years away, they have a Finnish connection with Toivonen, Rask and Thomas, also Boston got rid of some salary.
Yeah, that's why we shouldn't have traded him to Toronto. I heard rumors of Boston possibly getting Datsyuk from Detroit for Raycroft. I did like the Bruins 5th pick in the draft though... Kessel should help us quite a bit. I heard rumors of a trade between Boston and Phoenix... we might get Mara for Boynton I guess.

Eric Draven said:

WHAT?! That sucks!

Thrashers say farewell to Patrik Stefan and Jaroslav Modry. Traded them to the Stars, in exchange for center Niko Kapanen and a 7th round pick.

Other Atlanta picks,
1 (12) Bryan Little C, Barrie (OHL)
2 (43) Riley Holzapfel C, Moosejaw (WHL)
3 (80)* Michael Forney LW, Thief River Falls (HS)
5 (135) Alex Kangas G, Sioux Falls (USHL)
6 (165) Jonas Enlund C, 185 IFK Jr. (Finland)
7 (195) Jesse Martin C, Spruce Grove (AJHL)
7 (200) Arturs Kulda D, CSKA 2 (RPL)
7 (210)** Will O'Neill D, Tabor Acadamy (USHSE)

Sparta* said:
WHAT?! That sucks!

I'm hoping it's just a rumor for the time being. Because Oilers honestly can't replace someone like Pronger.

But apparently his wife doesn't like Edmonton or something like that :confused: :(

Eric Draven said:
I'm hoping it's just a rumor for the time being. Because Oilers honestly can't replace someone like Pronger.

But apparently his wife doesn't like Edmonton or something like that :confused: :(

Lowe confirmed that he knew Pronger would probably no longer want to play in Edmonton after the season was done. Apparently his wife who is from St.Louis does not like Edmonton. TS. Talk to Mike Sillinger's wife. So if she hates Edmonton and misses home and wants to be close to St.Louis, could Pronger go to Detroit if Lidstrom leaves or to Chicago for prospects?

Whatever happens, Pronger will be booed everytime he plays in Rexall.

Yeah, probably. I'm guessing Mike Comrie is back in town or something :confused: :o

I'm hoping they trade him to a Eastern team though. Toronto and New York are the ones that are rumored. But I'm praying for something like Pronger going to Florida for like Bouwmeester and someone else. Keenan is a huge fan of Pronger I recall. Plus, this could leave room for the Oilers to try and find somebody like Redden, Chara, or Jovo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"