The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manta's not a villain you kill, he's one you capture and save for another day. I'm sure they know this.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/24/aquaman-james-wan-shakespearean-story-sibling-rivalry/

They say blood is thicker than water — but does that hold up underwater?

Audiences may find out in Warner Bros’. upcoming Aquaman movie, which director James Wan says will tell a “Shakespearean” tale of sibling rivalry set against a sci-fi/fantasy backdrop.

Speaking to EW at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Tuesday, the filmmaker teased the central conflict between Jason Momoa’s titular hero (a.k.a. Arthur Curry) and his villainous brother, Orm (who also goes by the nom de guerre Ocean Master).

“The main antagonist in this movie is Orm, played by Patrick Wilson,” Wan said. “And Black Manta, played by Yahya [Abdul-Mateen], is caught up in that world with them as well. But the main drive really is, it’s almost a very classic Shakespearean story about brother from another world vs. brother from another world. And it really is a classic story of sibling rivalry.”

Wan added that Aquaman will be unique among superhero movies because its danger comes not from the sky or another dimension, but from the depths.

“We’re used to superhero movies where the threat is from another dimension or aliens from another universe coming here and trying to destroy our Earth,” Wan said. “But we haven’t seen one where the main threat is from a massive, massive civilization that is right under our nose, in the ocean.… The idea that there could be a massive civilization living right underneath [us] that we don’t know about is kind of scary and exciting.”

Aquaman will also mark Momoa’s first solo outing as the Atlantean hero, after a cameo in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and a supporting role in Justice League, and Wan thinks he’s ready for the spotlight. “One of the things people will be surprised by is seeing that Jason Momoa is not just a tough guy, but that the guy is actually very charismatic, funny, goofy, and is a potential romantic lead,” he said.

Shortly after chatting with EW, Wan introduced some rough footage from the movie taking viewers straight into the vast undersea world of Atlantis. The footage featured Aquaman and Mera (Amber Heard) traveling in a spaceship-like vehicle into the lavish world, as well as Orm — with slicked-back, silvery-blond hair — standing in an arena as he intones, “My brother has come from the surface to challenge me for the throne.”

Momoa’s muscle-bound Aquaman delivers one-liners referring to his brute strength, such as, “I’ve learned from a young age not to show weakness, solving my problems with my fists. I’m a blunt instrument, and I’m good at it.”

Mera tells him he’s part of something deeper, and under threat of destruction.

The footage ended with an epic battle scene and Orm rasping, “War is coming to the surface, and I’m bringing the wrath of the Seven Seas with me.”

Aquaman hits theaters Dec. 21.

Momoa being depicted as a 'potential romantic lead' was a nice suprise :woot:.

:funny: those pics of jason that harle posted hahahahha

Yes, what more would anyone want? (P.S. This is a rhetorical question.)

tumblr_ongzquBr6y1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg
(Rhetorical answer) Nothing.

Now, if only they could release a picture of Aquaman. I'm dying to see his costume, dammit.

“but that the guy is actually very charismatic, funny, goofy, and is a potential romantic lead”

eFXpFY4.gif

Legion Of Doom says Hi.

(Lex Luthor, Black Manta, Black Adam, Cheetah, Deathstroke, Parasite, and Poison Ivy.)

Well that's the dream isn't it?

I just don't wanna be disappointed if they kill him off. The history of the characters often doesn't matter to filmmakers, and they have a point at times about changing things. But Manta has a lot of potential for future stories if done right.

My worry comes down to that they may look at Orm as a Loki analog and think the family dynamic is meatier than what could be done with Manta.

Orm is the Loki to Aquaman's Thor so you may as well build Orm to be the Loki of the DCEU

Well that's the dream isn't it?

I just don't wanna be disappointed if they kill him off. The history of the characters often doesn't matter to filmmakers, and they have a point at times about changing things. But Manta has a lot of potential for future stories if done right.

My worry comes down to that they may look at Orm as a Loki analog and think the family dynamic is meatier than what could be done with Manta.

For better or worse, Geoff Johns is very much involved with this movie, I think he is building towards LoD, so Black Manta surviving this movie is pretty much given. Besides, Black Manta is not the main antagonist so I doubt they will kill him off in first Aquaman movie.

If Orm is gonna be the Loki of this universe then they shouldn't kill him but rather imprison him

So, nothing leaks from WB presentation in CinemaCon, not even a single image??

27c5daaf52bfd84654e6b5457055b47b.jpg

CinemaCon doesn't give much away then that's great because then you keep all of us guessing even more

Orm is the Loki to Aquaman's Thor so you may as well build Orm to be the Loki of the DCEU

In the GLC forum you said they should follow the books. Now you want to do the opposite, as Ocean Master has never had the prominence that Loki has had in Marvel Comics.

Manta is the character most long time fans of Aquaman want to see be his opponent on screen for the long haul.

Manta = tragic, sympathetic origin, pure evil unsympathetic villain
Orm = unsympathetic origin, sympathetic villain who also works as an occasional ally

I want both for long haul, but Orm can go in different direction whereas Manta needs to be un-redeemable.

The only similarities that Arthur and Orm and Thor and Loki have is that they are brothers and the heirs to a kingdom. That's it.

In the MCU, Thor and Loki grew up together and have a close relationship.

Arthur is a half atlantean half human and was raised on the surface with his human father. Orm has lived in Atlantis his whole life. I don't see a Thor and Loki like relationship with these two characters at all.

Manta = tragic, sympathetic origin, pure evil unsympathetic villain
Orm = unsympathetic origin, sympathetic villain who also works as an occasional ally

I want both for long haul, but Orm can go in different direction whereas Manta needs to be un-redeemable.

Manta has always had a special place in my heart as a really vile and ruthless bad guy. Today comic book fans are used to bad guys doing terrible things to prove their bona na fides but before even Joker killed Jason Todd (which didn't stick) we had Manta doing the truly heinous in killing an innocent child. This was something that at the time was landmark. Few villains off the top of my head even approached that level of damage to their respective heroes in some way. Manta did.

Manta has always had a special place in my heart as a really vile and ruthless bad guy. Today comic book fans are used to bad guys doing terrible things to prove their bona na fides but before even Joker killed Jason Todd (which didn't stick) we had Manta doing the truly heinous in killing an innocent child. This was something that at the time was landmark. Few villains off the top of my head even approached that level of damage to their respective heroes in some way. Manta did.
Wonder if we’ll see that in a sequel :hmm

Agreed, this should be where they first clash and just serve as a set-up for the sequel where Manta is the main villain.

Yep :up:
That would be perfect.

Wonder if we’ll see that in a sequel :hmm

Yep :up:
That would be perfect.

I kinda hope the idea of Manta's son becoming AquaLad has seeds in this film, though given the overheated backlash about "darkness" in the DCEU my guess is they will skip all that. The resonance for me with Manta's son becoming AL is that the villain takes the son of the hero. The hero proves how much better of a man he is than the villain by becoming the mentor to the villains child, not seeking eye for an eye vengeance and making the child a better man than their father.

Which is a shame considering how central the death of Arthur's son was to the character in the comics.

[YT]c1urjwhGe8k[/YT]

[YT]uxy3IF-XC10[/YT]

[YT]EXQoA7r2XXk[/YT]

[YT]fn8W2T5kXzw[/YT]

[YT]JhGdYOK2hA8[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads