The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

Yeah, all CG apart from your top of the line Avatar or POTA trilogy or whatever basically looks wonky IMO so its just a total write-off for me. I don't really care, it is what it is.

I'm totally indifferent to iffy CGI (grew up on TV shows with low production values) but when you spend $200mil+ on a movie, it's extremely CGI-heavy, and it looks this f***ing ugly in general (don't get me started on the lighting/batsuit on Keaton), the CGI becomes a detractor. I ain't blaming the VFX artists here, for the record. I know what s***ty conditions and bad studio management has caused this. But the movie simply looks like an eyesore to some people. I don't know how to explain it any better. It is what it is.

To be honest, I still can't get over how bad Flash's costume (Both Versions) looks in this film.

I'm totally indifferent to iffy CGI (grew up on TV shows with low production values) but when you spend $200mil+ on a movie, it's extremely CGI-heavy, and it looks this f***ing ugly in general (don't get me started on the lighting/batsuit on Keaton), the CGI becomes a detractor. I ain't blaming the VFX artists here, for the record. I know what s***ty conditions and bad studio management has caused this. But the movie simply looks like an eyesore to some people. I don't know how to explain it any better. It is what it is.
I'm blaming Muschietti. He had 18 months of post production on this movie, he had a budget of 220-300 million dollars. There are basically no excuses for him, for all accounts the studio gave him everything he needed and ****ed it up in the VFX aspect.

I'm blaming Muschietti. He had 18 months of post production on this movie, he had a budget of 220-300 million dollars. There are basically no excuses for him, for all accounts the studio gave him everything he needed and ****ed it up in the VFX aspect.
I mean, it sounds like he made a good movie at the end of the day, so there were far worse possible outcomes, but I'm sure there are several factors in play here. I don't get the sense Muschietti botched it overall. But he certainly bears some of the blame for the visuals. He chose Henry Braham as DP, which...eh. He did better work on the last 2 GotG movies and TSS, but it still wasn't great, imo. He's very middle-of-the-road to me.

I mean, it sounds like he made a good movie at the end of the day, so there were far worse possible outcomes, but I'm sure there are several factors in play here. I don't get the sense Muschietti botched it overall. But he certainly bears some of the blame for the visuals. He chose Henry Braham as DP, which...eh. He did better work on the last 2 GotG movies and TSS, but it still wasn't great, imo. He's very middle-of-the-road to me.
I mean, yeah, that's why I'm specifically singling out he botched the visuals, not the overall film.

Let me take my statement back about positive reviews by YouTube reviewers. This guy says that the CGI for Ben Affleck’s Batman is horrible and he gave 3 out of 5 stars but should have given it 2.5. Then he goes on to blame the low movie ticket sales are because James Gunn got rid of Henry Cavil as Superman.:beaming: I think Grace might have been on to something when she said Gunn should have blown up the DCEU and started everything over. The Snyder fans are not going to quit.

Of course the Transformers films aren’t good (except Bumblebee), but their CGI was never their problem. ILM mostly did strong work on those.

Sorry, but The Flash LOOKS like crap to me, because the trailers make the movie look like it’s 80% CGI, and that CGI looks like it’s already 20 years old, and not the slightest bit convincing. YMMV as you said, and you may not care about that, but some of the audience absolutely does. There’s a good size contingent who doesn’t like to go watch movies that actually look like video games. And like I said, I don’t think the movie’s gonna fail because it has other hooks to make up for it and is apparently a good movie so WOM should be strong, but for people wondering why tracking is looking so low, I can pretty much guarantee you those trailers are at least a significant factor.

No need to apologize I get what you are saying completely :)

Let me take my statement back about positive reviews by YouTube reviewers. This guy says that the CGI for Ben Affleck’s Batman is horrible and he gave 3 out of 5 stars but should have given it 2.5. Then he goes on to blame the low movie ticket sales are because James Gunn got rid of Henry Cavil as Superman.:beaming: I think Grace might have been on to something when she said Gunn should have blown up the DCEU and started everything over. The Snyder fans are not going to quit.

I mean he is...this film wasn't his choice ;)

YouTube is trash.

Saw the film yesterday. All in all, it was a ton of fun!!
Andy and Barbara Muschietti were there, as well, so that was neat!

the complaints about the CGI though:
The version we saw was unfinished, but my goodness the cgi was terrible! It took me out of the film a couple times. I really hope it’s been fixed for the final version. If not, the film will be ripped apart for that upon release.

Saw the film yesterday. All in all, it was a ton of fun!!
Andy and Barbara Muschietti were there, as well, so that was neat!

the complaints about the CGI though:
The version we saw was unfinished, but my goodness the cgi was terrible! It took me out of the film a couple times. I really hope it’s been fixed for the final version. If not, the film will be ripped apart for that upon release.
I’m afraid the only thing “unfinished” about the cut they’re screening now is that it doesn’t include the end credit/Easter egg scene(s) they don’t want spoiled in advance. The CGI on this film has been done for ages, so the CGI you saw is almost certainly the CGI of the film forevermore. Glad you still enjoyed it, though! :up:

Yeah... no way they will be improving the GCI roughly two weeks from release. This thing is locked. They may be sending out a workprint of sorts for these early screenings, but they have the FINAL version ready to go.

Do we think it's safe to assume there will not be a red carpet premiere for this movie? Instead we're just getting early screenings with not a cast member in sight.

Could the lack of the cast's presence be contributing to the low ticket sales we are hearing about?

I’m afraid the only thing “unfinished” about the cut they’re screening now is that it doesn’t include the end credit/Easter egg scene(s) they don’t want spoiled in advance. The CGI on this film has been done for ages, so the CGI you saw is almost certainly the CGI of the film forevermore. Glad you still enjoyed it, though! :up:

Well I mean, they could have a better cut they just aren't showing. This might be the early (before it is finished) cut that is just separate. I dont believe that to be the case mind you but it is theoretically possible.

(again I dont believe that is what is going on just pointing out it is possible)

I still dont get the complaints personally, but maybe when I see it again I will notice it. I am usually pretty fast to go "eww that looked bad" even in movies I love but I just never did that in this one. (got close a couple times so maybe...) Maybe I just liked the story enough to ignore it or something I dunno. My buddy didn't complain either and he usually points stuff out too. That is interesting to me.

Well wait, as I type this I can think of one part where I rolled my eyes at the CGI
the part at the hospital in the beginning
but that was played at such a comedic level and there was no way to not have that be CGI so I guess I dismissed it because of the situation. I mean the whole theater was laughing during that sequence so no one really seemed to care but certain elements looked terrible. I am not sure there is a way that could have looked any better (and honestly outside of showing his powerset it really wasn't necessary just a cool hero scene) so maybe that is why it didn't but me all of that much. I dunno, usually second viewings are when the marginal stuff I missed might annoy me more.

It might also be possible that most movies these days are filled with so much awful CGI that this was just enough less awful that it looked good. I mean lets be honest, what heavy cgi films these days look good? (and dont get me started on de-aging) Maybe I am just thinking that a "5" is a "9" because everything around it is a "2". I could definitely see me grading on a curve.

TL;DR: I got nothing maybe I am just a weirdo ;)

Well I mean, they could have a better cut they just aren't showing. This might be the early (before it is finished) cut that is just separate. I dont believe that to be the case mind you but it is theoretically possible.

(again I dont believe that is what is going on just pointing out it is possible)

I still dont get the complaints personally, but maybe when I see it again I will notice it. I am usually pretty fast to go "eww that looked bad" even in movies I love but I just never did that in this one. (got close a couple times so maybe...) Maybe I just liked the story enough to ignore it or something I dunno. My buddy didn't complain either and he usually points stuff out too. That is interesting to me.

Well wait, as I type this I can think of one part where I rolled my eyes at the CGI
the part at the hospital in the beginning
but that was played at such a comedic level and there was no way to not have that be CGI so I guess I dismissed it because of the situation. I mean the whole theater was laughing during that sequence so no one really seemed to care but certain elements looked terrible. I am not sure there is a way that could have looked any better (and honestly outside of showing his powerset it really wasn't necessary just a cool hero scene) so maybe that is why it didn't but me all of that much. I dunno, usually second viewings are when the marginal stuff I missed might annoy me more.

It might also be possible that most movies these days are filled with so much awful CGI that this was just enough less awful that it looked good. I mean lets be honest, what heavy cgi films these days look good? (and dont get me started on de-aging) Maybe I am just thinking that a "5" is a "9" because everything around it is a "2". I could definitely see me grading on a curve.

TL;DR: I got nothing maybe I am just a weirdo ;)

every shot in the speed force showing the Justice League (could they not have used previously made footage?), the shots of Barry’s parents going through all the memories, the Nic Cage Superman cameo, MANY shots of both Barry’s together… it was all very clearly CGI. The shots in the speed force were especially terrible. I don’t know why they couldn’t have just used actual footage of all those actors instead of fully digital renders

The shots of both Barry’s together and one clearly being Ezra’s head on someone else’s body really got me. How is that not seamless in a big budget block Buster?
Orphan Black did the same with x5 on a Canadian Television budget! Half the time you would forget it’s actually the same actor playing all the roles, because they spliced the footage so seamlessly. No excuse for those scenes to look that obviously edited.

And when I say I hope the cgi is improved on, I know it’s locked and they aren’t currently working on it. I just mean I hope the finished product is better and that the version they showed us was just an earlier cut before they had fully polished the effects

We’re three weeks out and we have yet to hear from Michael Keaton. I dont think we’ve gotten any full on interviews with him where he talks about returning to the role have we?

We’re three weeks out and we have yet to hear from Michael Keaton. I dont think we’ve gotten any full on interviews with him where he talks about returning to the role have we?

Ordinarily, it'd probably be on a talk show, but there ain't any right now lol

every shot in the speed force showing the Justice League (could they not have used previously made footage?), the shots of Barry’s parents going through all the memories, the Nic Cage Superman cameo, MANY shots of both Barry’s together… it was all very clearly CGI. The shots in the speed force were especially terrible. I don’t know why they couldn’t have just used actual footage of all those actors instead of fully digital renders

The shots of both Barry’s together and one clearly being Ezra’s head on someone else’s body really got me. How is that not seamless in a big budget block Buster?
Orphan Black did the same with x5 on a Canadian Television budget! Half the time you would forget it’s actually the same actor playing all the roles, because they spliced the footage so seamlessly. No excuse for those scenes to look that obviously edited.

And when I say I hope the cgi is improved on, I know it’s locked and they aren’t currently working on it. I just mean I hope the finished product is better and that the version they showed us was just an earlier cut before they had fully polished the effects

I guess that stuff just didn't bug me. Probably because it is fantastical but I dunno.

I think if they had done some of that the way you suggested it would have come off as cheap and easy too much like what a TV show would do. I think that would actually be criticized more in the long run.
I mean that is kind of how the Arrowverse did it[/QUOTE]

75 million three weeks away can easily make it to 100 million+ by the time the movie hits on June 16. It’s just a shame that the negativity of DC drives clicks for YouTubers and the trades. The movie is three weeks out and it is already a box office bomb……

This thing's also going to be released in China which is a huge advantage. I feel like this is the kind of movie that would hit big over there

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"