The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - Part 86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful. Just awful. Dr. Manhattan 2.0. I wasn't hyped at all for TASM2, as TASM1 reeked of desperation to keep the rights, in addition to the butchering of the character. Also, I don't remember everyone loving it, not at all. It was quite divisive, in fact.
Everybody who is blue gets compared to Dr. Manhattan nowadays, no biggie. Mind explaining how it butchered the character? Everyone didn't love it but most people were excited for the sequel. And the ppl who didn't like the first one were hopeful for the second one because the origin story was out of the way & the universe was established.

Peter caring more about his parents than he did Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Uncle Ben literally dying over chocolate milk. Breaking a dying man's wish for some vag. Hell, even pre-Spidey, he's already standing up for kids who are being picked on and not doing that poorly. Peter never would have done that. What lessons are learned and how does this affect the protagonist?

Oh, then there's the whole "he has no common sense" thing, as well. Nor is he a genius.

Yeah, TASM and Sony completely failed the character. I didn't like the first one, and I certainly was not hopeful after seeing it was SM1 2.0, and then seeing that they wanted 3 villains in the movie, wanted to introduce arguably SM's best foe / one of his most shocking stories with zero buildup, and seeing Steven Urkel on set.

Everybody who is blue gets compared to Dr. Manhattan nowadays, no biggie. Mind explaining how it butchered the character? Everyone didn't love it but most people were excited for the sequel. And the ppl who didn't like the first one were hopeful for the second one because the origin story was out of the way & the universe was established.

Stop kidding yourself. People begged for the rights back after tasm1. Its where the whole " give the fights back to marvel" thing started. Only reason spidey fans tolerated it was to support spidey. The movie did damage to his rep that the likes of Thor and groot and iron man were becoming more popular. Yea I don't know where your getting people being hype for these movies. I was abd all I saw was hate left and right.

I am really glad this series got axed. It made me embarrassed to be a Spider-Man fan. Long live Maguire and Holland. Andrew is a great actor but this series was done in almost every wrong way possible. I called it from the announcement that it would be a train wreck. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the grand explosion.

:up:

Stop kidding yourself. People begged for the rights back after tasm1. Its where the whole " give the fights back to marvel" thing started. Only reason spidey fans tolerated it was to support spidey. The movie did damage to his rep that the likes of Thor and groot and iron man were becoming more popular. Yea I don't know where your getting people being hype for these movies. I was abd all I saw was hate left and right.
Um, I was around back then on the Hype and there was no hate "Left & right". There were a few threads concerning the issue of Marvel getting the rights & believe it or not, many fans didn't want him in Marvel's hands. Go back to these threads in this very forum & you'll see split poll. Most of us accepted the reality that it was unlikely to happen... This was never a "Fant4stic" situation. Sorry, but most people had no problem with him not being in the MCU until they announced the spinoffs/plans for a cinematic universe, TASM2 came out as a massive disappointment & the Sony leak happened exposing them for fools they were.

You're the one kidding yourself, dude. The hype levels for TASM2 were MASSIVE. Every time they released news for the movie, it trended on Twitter for hours. And if it was actually good, it would have probably made more money than TASM1 because of good WOM which would have gave it strong legs.

Last edited:
Um, I was around back then on the Hype and there was no hate "Left & right". There were a few threads concerning the issue of Marvel getting the rights & believe it or not, many fans didn't want him in Marvel's hands. Go back to these threads in this very forum & you'll see split poll. Most of us accepted the reality that it was unlikely to happen... This was never a "Fant4stic" situation. Sorry, but most people had no problem with him not being in the MCU until they announced the spinoffs/plans for a cinematic universe, TASM2 came out as a massive disappointment & the Sony leak happened exposing them for fools they were.

You're the one kidding yourself, dude. The hype levels for TASM2 were MASSIVE. Every time they released news for the movie, it trended on Twitter for hours. And if it was actually good, it would have probably made more money than TASM1 because of good WOM which would have gave it strong legs.

Lol sure. I have no idea where you were but I was hyped for the movie and all I saw was hate. All I saw were cries for it to go to marvel. Every time a news article was posted all I saw were.

" this looks like a video game"
"Ew why is electro blue"
" they ruined the rhino"
" just give it back to marvel"
" bring tobey back"

Please. This movie may of had some supporters but people were lined up ready to hate. It was annoying. I don't know where you saw this " massive " hype. People hated the changes. Detested them! The Norman head thing, Harry goblin, rhino in a mech suit, even woodley as mj. So please don't act like this movie had a huge following, this movie was supposed to prove all the nay Sayers wrong and it didn't.

I remember being hype cause it was Spider-Man but people wouldn't give it a chance. Every YouTube comment, every forum post and every post on Facebook was the same " bring it back to marvel". Trust me I've defended this movie plenty in 2014. Everyone had there sights set on it to fail cept for spidey fans

You are right the other guy is flat out wrong. A lot of people didn't want amazing Spider-Man 1 but that was because a lot of people felt it was to soon for a reboot and wanted a Spider-Man 4 instead and also didn't like the news that they where going to do a origin again. When the movie came out over all people like it but where far from loving it. Then when amazing Spider-Man 2 started getting trailers people thought the movie looked amazing from the trailers and like it was not going to be to much of a retrin like amazing Spider-Man 1 was. Then the movie came out and people hated it. Same thing with Andrew most people thought he was much better then Tobey all the way up to amazing Spider-Man 2 release then amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out and people all of a sudden turn on Andrew. Give Andrew a Spider-Man movie has good has Spider-Man 2 and like 95% of people would have perferd him over Tobey. Because of the hype Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 had is a big reason why I don't think homecoming is going to make has much has people think. Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 had a lot of hype leading to its realease to only disappoint people big time. Because of that even if homecoming looked like the greatest movie ever made from trailers a lot of people would be thinking you fulled me with Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 you are not going to full me again with homecoming. Homecoming is like batman begins in that it has to prove to people that a Spider-Man movie can be good again. If homecoming can be a good/great movie like begings then its sequel can do a lot better boxoffice wise just like dark knight did compared to begings.

Lol sure. I have no idea where you were but I was hyped for the movie and all I saw was hate. All I saw were cries for it to go to marvel. Every time a news article was posted all I saw were.

" this looks like a video game"
"Ew why is electro blue"
" they ruined the rhino"
" just give it back to marvel"
" bring tobey back"
You're completely making this all up. I never saw any articles talking about Rhino being ruined or "Why is Electro blue" those are such ridiculous article titles that I know they were never made. Nobody was screaming for Marvel to get the rights until the movie came out, was bad & Sony panicking pushed Sinister Six to TASM3's release date.
Please. This movie may of had some supporters but people were lined up ready to hate. It was annoying. I don't know where you saw this " massive " hype. People hated the changes. Detested them! The Norman head thing,
Norman's head being in a jar wasn't revealed until TWO months before the movie's release from a leaker on Reddit, nobody knew about it before March 2014 so how could they have hated it?
Harry goblin
And just like Ganke in Homecoming, many people were onboard with the idea of Harry being a Goblin before Norman. I was too because of how it could've set Norman up as the ultimate enemy for Peter: by setting up his own son & having him do his bidding. Everybody back then thought Harry was going to be a "Proto-Goblin" to take Spidey's blood for Norman & we were onboard with it until the movie came closer & they started calling Harry "Green Goblin" and then the movie came out & they had Norman die in his first scene. THAT'S what fans hate it, when they saw the actual movie.
made rhino in a mech suit
Practically EVERYBODY was onboard with the idea of Rhino being a mech because it separated him from the Lizard as being another cross-species & he looked awesome in Ultimate Spider-Man. When the first pics of Rhino came out, people were mixed (I didn't like it) but when we saw the movie, that's when we knew they ruined Rhino & made him a terrible cartoon character.
even woodley as mj.
I'll give you this.
So please don't act like this movie had a huge following, this movie was supposed to prove all the nay Sayers wrong and it didn't.
The only naysayers were people who already hated the reboot from the start because they were mad Raimi's seried got canned & people who hated the first movie. When it came out-- That's when everybody turned against it. It did have a huge following, though. More than TASM1 & showed when it had a bigger opening weekend than the first. But word-of-mouth sliced off it's legs & it underperfomed.

I remember being hype cause it was Spider-Man but people wouldn't give it a chance. Every YouTube comment, every forum post and every post on Facebook was the same " bring it back to marvel". Trust me I've defended this movie plenty in 2014. Everyone had there sights set on it to fail cept for spidey fans
Again, Nobody except those who hated the first movie & angry Raimi fans. The former being the minority because the first movie WAS received well by critics & audiences alike. Everybody thought it was going to be a huge success: everybody thought it was going to be the first billon dollar Spider-Man film, including Sony. There was no "Bring in Marvel" until Sony showed their *** with their meddling, started their "Spider-Man Cinematic Universe" and had their servers hacked which showed how terrible & stupid they really were.

Last edited:
You are right the other guy is flat out wrong. A lot of people didn't want amazing Spider-Man 1 but that was because a lot of people felt it was to soon for a reboot and wanted a Spider-Man 4 instead and also didn't like the news that they where going to do a origin again. When the movie came out over all people like it but where far from loving it. Then when amazing Spider-Man 2 started getting trailers people thought the movie looked amazing from the trailers and like it was not going to be to much of a retrin like amazing Spider-Man 1 was. Then the movie came out and people hated it. Same thing with Andrew most people thought he was much better then Tobey all the way up to amazing Spider-Man 2 release then amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out and people all of a sudden turn on Andrew. Give Andrew a Spider-Man movie has good has Spider-Man 2 and like 95% of people would have perferd him over Tobey. Because of the hype Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 had is a big reason why I don't think homecoming is going to make has much has people think. Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 had a lot of hype leading to its realease to only disappoint people big time. Because of that even if homecoming looked like the greatest movie ever made from trailers a lot of people would be thinking you fulled me with Spider-Man 3 and amazing Spider-Man 2 you are not going to full me again with homecoming. Homecoming is like batman begins in that it has to prove to people that a Spider-Man movie can be good again. If homecoming can be a good/great movie like begings then its sequel can do a lot better boxoffice wise just like dark knight did compared to begings.
:up:

You're completely making this all up. I never saw any articles talking about Rhino being ruined or "Why is Electro blue" those are such ridiculous article titles that I know they were never made. Nobody was screaming for Marvel to get the rights until the movie came out, was bad & Sony panicking pushed Sinister Six to TASM3's release date.
Norman's head being in a jar wasn't revealed until TWO months before the movie's release from a leaker on Reddit, nobody knew about it before March 2014 so how could they have hated it? And just like Ganke in Homecoming, many people were onboard with the idea of Harry being a Goblin before Norman. I was too because of how it could've set Norman up as the ultimate enemy for Peter: by setting up his own son & having him do his bidding. Everybody back then thought Harry was going to be a "Proto-Goblin" to take Spidey's blood for Norman & we were onboard with it until the movie came closer & they started calling Harry "Green Goblin" and then the movie came out & they had Norman die in his first scene. THAT'S what fans hate it, when they saw the actual movie. Practically EVERYBODY was onboard with the idea of Rhino being a mech because it separated him from the Lizard as being another cross-species & he looked awesome in Ultimate Spider-Man. When the first pics of Rhino came out, people were mixed (I didn't like it) but when we saw the movie, that's when we knew they ruined Rhino & made him a terrible cartoon character. I'll give you this. It didn't prove naysayers who already hated the reboot from the start because they were mad Raimi's seried got canned, when it came out, that's wheh everybody turned against it. It did have s huge following, though. More than TASM1 & showed when it bigger opening weekend than the first. But word-of-mouth sliced off it's legs & it underperfomed.

Nobody did except people who hated the first movie & angry Raimi fans. The former being the minority because the first movie WAS received well by critics & audiences alike. Everybody thought it was going to be a huge success: everybody thought it was going to be the first billon dollar Spider-Man film, including Sony. There was no "Bring in Marvel" until Sony showed their ***

Bruh you must of been living in a giant bubble. On what grounds would I make this up? I saw it all the time. These weren't articles these were comments from fans crying about the changes.

*****e Parker
Reboot to early
Spider blood
Harry goblin
Mech rhino
Gwen death to early
Harry goblin
Mary Jane
To much shown
The sound track

I could go on and on. Yea in this little hype people were more accepting but that's cause at the time this was all we had. We had to accept it or no more spidey. In what world did you live in when this movie was making its rounds? People were more excited for winter soldier.... which is bad when it comes to spidey. Yea Spider-Man fans were going to defend it cause let's face it we are fans of spidey but the ga... and casual spidey fans, Tobey fans. They hated the direction? I have no idea what positive bubble for amazing Spider-Man you were in but every time a fb news article popped up the comments were negative ."give the rights back to marvel" it's what everyone kept dying. You can deny it all you want but as soon as those Sony leaks happened people were ecstatic to finally get spidey in the mcu possibly.

I remember people on this very hype made multiple threads and wished and hoped for it. Look it up. In fact if you really don't believe me dig up old Facebook and YouTube comments for every clip and trailer for this movie. Nothing but negativity saying they showed to much and a reboot sucks.

I have no idea where you get this idea asm franchise was widely accepted. People wouldn't stop complaining about it. It was annoying.

And are you serious about the rhino being accepted? People thought that was a joke. They compared him to a transformer that suit was widely hated along with electro.

Also Tobey fans in the minority ? Lol yea ok sure. Nah they were very vocal. In fact I remember them saying all the time

Tobey is the best. Bring him back or give to marvel

Then the defense would be.... asm is more in tune with the comics. Again where on earth were u? Even this own forum had Tobey people on the asm2 threads.

Last edited:

how am I flat out wrong when I was hype for the movie and all I saw was overwhelming hate from everyone who would t give it a chance cause it wasn't marvel? Where were you two at? I followed all the news and stuff on this movie and every response was either lukewarm or very critical. Yea there were people who defended it but they did it way more often then they should. I don't know why you and Harry think it would get hype after the first movie got lukewarm reception and considered decent. But ok

More than half of those things you listed nobody knew about until it came out. You're, like, trying to paint this picture of TASM2 being rallied against by swarms of people the day it was announced like TASM1 was a flop. The complaints for TASM were there but most enjoyed the first one. This includes EVERYBODY. The general audience liked it & so did critics for the most part. Nobody declared the series a failure until TASM2 was released in theaters.

The complaints against Electro were very little. Everybody on here thought he looked badass. Some compared him to Dr, Manhattan but that comes with the territory because everybody who is blue & bald gets compared to that character. Hell, even the negative reviews cited him as a visual treat & spectacle. Like I said, people were mixed on Rhino, yes some called him a Transformer (including me) but on the otherside, many liked his design & the idea of a Rhino who is both biped & quadruple. Harry's design got the most hate.

You are right about Homecoming getting a pass because it's coming from Marvel. The movie would be destroyed by fans if Sony were the ones behind the changes

More than half of those things you listed nobody knew about until it came out. You're, like, trying to paint this picture of TASM2 being rallied against by swarms of people the day it was announced like TASM1 was a flop. The complaints for TASM were there but most enjoyed the first one. This includes EVERYBODY. The general audience liked it & so did critics. Nobody declared the series a failure until TASM2 was released in theaters.

The complaints against Electro were very little. Everybody on here thought he looked badass. Some compared him to Dr, Manhattan but that comes with the territory because everybody who is blue & bald gets compared to that character. Hell, even the negative reviews cited him as a visual treat & spectacle. Like I said, people were mixed on Rhino, yes some called him a Transformer (including me) but on the otherside, many liked his design & the idea of a Rhino who is both biped & quadruple. Harry's design got the most hate
Uh what those things I listed were in the promotional and campaign ads. Are u serious right now?

Who said they thought electro looked badass? Please tell me cause I remember nothing of the sort. nobody liked him. People straight up compared him to Edward nygma. What else world are you living in? Bro I didn't say asm1 was a failure but after that movie people wanted it to fail.

Avengers 2012 came out that year and the ga was more execeptive of that. Your trying to paint this picture like asm2 was going to be given golden praise and everybody was accepting of it and loved alll the changes it made. Nope the majority of fans hated it. From every poster to every clip. I don't know why you think I'm making this up. I saw and defended this movie.

I find it funny that if you look at the videos now they are all positive post. Saying how they miss Andrew and that they don't understand why the movie was hated. It's funny how things change.

Last edited:
Uh what those things I listed were in the promotional and campaign ads. Are u serious right now?

Who said they thought electro looked badass? Please tell me cause I remember nothing of the sort. nobody liked him. People straight up compared him to Edward nygma. What else world are you living in? Bro I didn't say asm1 was a failure but after that movie people wanted it to fail.

Avengers 2012 came out that year and the ga was more execeptive of that. Your trying to paint this picture like asm2 was going to be given golden praise and everybody was accepting of it and loved alll the changes it made. Nope the majority of fans hated it. From every poster to every clip. I don't know why you think I'm making this up. I saw and defended this movie.

I find it funny that if you look at the videos now they are all positive post. Saying how they miss Andrew and that they don't understand why the movie was hated. It's funny how things change.
People hated Electro's characterization. They liked his design & his effects, it was a highlight of the movie. Critics praised the colorful visuals & the Electro fights

Who are these people, exactly? It certainly wasn't the Hype & it certainly wasn't Social Media. Most people did not want TASM2 to fail, TASM being a decent film being one of the reasons why.

No, I'm just trying to explain that this wasn't a Fant4stic situation. People were excited. I don't really think you're making it up, man, I think you're exaggerating the hate it got from fans before it hit cinemas. Of course there were people angry about some of the changes they made and hated the movie before release but it wasn't the majority of ppI. I defended this movie too originally because I loved the TASM series at the time but most of the hate poured on after the reviews hit

People hated Electro's characterization. They liked his design & his effects, it was a highlight of the movie. Critics praised the colorful visuals & the Electro fights

Who are these people, exactly? It certainly wasn't the Hype & it certainly wasn't Social Media. Most people did not want TASM2 to fail, TASM being a decent film being one of the reasons why.

No, I'm just trying to explain that this wasn't a Fant4stic situation. People were excited. I don't really think you're making it up, man, I think you're exaggerating the hate it got from fans before it hit cinemas. Of course there were people angry about some of the changes they made and hated the movie before release but it wasn't the majority of ppI. I defended this movie too originally because I loved the TASM series at the time but most of the hate poured on after the reviews hit

I just think you didn't see it like I did. People really wouldn't give it a chance but they gave a pass to everything marvel. It was annoying . They compared this to Batman and robin before the movie was released. Once the movie came out the anger just increased and people jumped on the bandwagon. So yea it was rather divisive for along time. There wasn't a huge positive side . I remember being angry that people gave marvel a pass on everything and asm was crapped on cause it wasn't in the universe.

I'm glad this series happened, cause we got two sweet movies as a result.

I'm glad this series happened, cause we got two sweet movies as a result.
Well....ONE sweet movie.

Civil War was ****ing great!

But Homecoming looks really good too. :o

Well....ONE sweet movie.

Civil War was ****ing great!

But Homecoming looks really good too. :o
TWO sweet movies, one of them is finally about a villain who doesn't see the face behind the Spider-Man mask. ;)

The terrific cast, the Electro design, the score, the fight scenes, the theme of time & Harry before he goes bad.

The cast is good but they get nothing to work with and Foxx and Giamatti got totally screwed over.

Electro's design was nothing New.

The score sucked imo.

What Fight scenes?

Doctor Strange handled the theme of time way better than this.

Harry was bad since the start.

It's true that bad movies get discussed more than the good ones.

The cast is good but they get nothing to work with and Foxx and Giamatti got totally screwed over.
Foxx gave them ideas, so he certainly worked with more than nothing.

The score sucked imo.
Some tracks are bad, others are great.

What Fight scenes?
Two Electro fights? The one with Harry?

Doctor Strange handled the theme of time way better than this.
What theme of time?

Harry was bad since the start.
Half and half.

It's true that bad movies get discussed more than the good ones.
This isn't a bad movie, they sure made bad decisions with it, but not the breaking kind of bad.

I am really glad this series got axed. It made me embarrassed to be a Spider-Man fan. Long live Maguire and Holland. Andrew is a great actor but this series was done in almost every wrong way possible. I called it from the announcement that it would be a train wreck. Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the grand explosion.

Yo! I used to love reading your posts in the Raimi Appreciation threads. Nice to see you make a cameo on the Spider-boards now that I have an account!

The score for ASM 2 is, without exaggeration, probably the worst score I've ever heard for a superhero film.

The terrific cast, the Electro design, the score, the fight scenes, the theme of time & Harry before he goes bad.

Yet again another huge deviation from the source material in the ASM series where they completely wasted an iconic character/relationship, yet here you are defending it. Amazing.

Last edited:
For me, I'm disappointed Amazing Spiderman 2 stunk, I loved Amazing Spiderman 1. Thought it was a great start with an actor I thought was great as Spiderman. Definitely disappointed it didn't work out. And sadly, I just don't care about where the MCU version is going. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"