Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I'm most excited about especially after watching the AMc review is the scenes between Vision and Ultron that Schnepp listed as his favorite moments! What bodes well for me is he said if you are a fan of the comics you will love the movie. This may be the most comic book fan friendly film yet which may alienate mainstream critics a bit who don't catch all the crazy info and easter eggs and set up, so in that sense I feel ( without having seen it) the scores are justified from a non fan point of view....I think WE for the most part will feel better towards it. And for others I think it will get better with repeated viewings, Chrisitan Harloff from schmoes raised his review up a bit after seeing it again and checking his expectations a bit. Can't wait to dissect this bad boy. :p

If you had to compare to another film series sequel, what film would you compare it to?

Based on reviews, AOU doesn't sound like it's on Empire Strikes Back or Spider-Man 2 or TDK or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Wrath of Khan or X2 level where the sequel is all around better then the first and praised more then the first.

Would you say it's more Batman Returns level where it's about as equal to the first or MIB2 level where it's not as good as the first (not saying AOU will be MIB2 level but moreso in terms of comparing sequels to the originals).

In terms of just purely comparative terms (I haven't seen Batman Returns or Men in Black)

Ultron has a better plot, Avengers has better humour. Not much separates them but I think Avengers just comes out on top due to its "big" moments.

No real moment will get you as pumped as Hulk smashing loki around, the "I'm always angry" line and so forth.

I'll probably take a few days to answer this properly, but at the moment, let's just say that Ultron is slightly worse then Avengers.

Empire Strikes Back received a pretty similar review when released. Familiarity breeds content, but missing the impact of New Hope.

I'll take an Empire Strikes Back level film any day of the week.

Hey guys, just got back from seeing it for a 2nd time, and it's much better the 2nd time around.

I could just sit back and enjoy the movie, didn't over-analyse, followed the action better (was in 2D), and understood things i missed last time.

I highly recommend seeing it more than once. It was a 9/10 first viewing, but now it's a 9.6, and it is the kind of film that will remain entertaining after repeat viewings (Avengers 1 suffers a bit with each rewatch).

So having seen it twice, be mindful of those who come here with negative appraisals. I was somewhat critical a few days ago when I first got back, but I feel reborn now.

I wasn't fighting the movie this time, I just went with it and loved practically every minute of it!

Cheers guys.

If you had to compare to another film series sequel, what film would you compare it to?

Based on reviews, AOU doesn't sound like it's on Empire Strikes Back or Spider-Man 2 or TDK or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Wrath of Khan or X2 level where the sequel is all around better then the first and praised more then the first.

Would you say it's more Batman Returns level where it's about as equal to the first or MIB2 level where it's not as good as the first (not saying AOU will be MIB2 level but moreso in terms of comparing sequels to the originals).

I'm not old enough to remember but I remember reading that When Empire first came out, it had kind of a mixed (still positve) response to it, over time it was recognized as the finest of the series, but it was jarring at the time due to the tonal shift, we may have a similar situation here (Not comparing this movie to Empire but the circumstances are pretty similar, the first was A new hope with all those feel good moments, while this one seems to take that away.

The thing I'm most excited about especially after watching the AMc review is the scenes between Vision and Ultron that Schnepp listed as his favorite moments! What bodes well for me is he said if you are a fan of the comics you will love the movie. This may be the most comic book fan friendly film yet which may alienate mainstream critics a bit who don't catch all the crazy info and easter eggs and set up, so in that sense I feel ( without having seen it) the scores are justified from a non fan point of view....I think WE for the most part will feel better towards it. And for others I think it will get better with repeated viewings, Chrisitan Harloff from schmoes raised his review up a bit after seeing it again and checking his expectations a bit. Can't wait to dissect this bad boy. :p

Oh yeah, in terms of comic references and such, there's SO MANY in there.

Vision is fantastic. 100% awesome. In motion, he's amazing.

It ain't no Empire Strikes Back or Godfather 2.

OK Visions, let us know what you thought spoiler free please.

Hey guys, just got back from seeing it for a 2nd time, and it's much better the 2nd time around.

I could just sit back and enjoy the movie, didn't over-analyse, followed the action better (was in 2D), and understood things i missed last time.

I highly recommend seeing it more than once. It was a 9/10 first viewing, but now it's a 9.6, and it is the kind of film that will remain entertaining after repeat viewings (Avengers 1 suffers a bit with each rewatch).

So having seen it twice, be mindful of those who come here with negative appraisals. I was somewhat critical a few days ago when I first got back, but I feel reborn now.

I wasn't fighting the movie this time, I just went with it and loved practically every minute of it!

Cheers guys.

Exactly what I have been hypothesizing lately (Blindly mind you) but just a gut reaction I was feeling based on what I was reading. This one is a grower, like an album you hear at first and are like meh, then one day something just clicks lol.

whedn's cut was supposedly 1 hour longer, wasn't it? It may explain that.

I dont thinks so. Joss ALWAYS overwrights and always cuts a lot. His Buffy episodes were the longest by far before cutting them to the hour show lenght. Some were allmost half an hour longer, wich for a 45 minutes show is quite a lot. He has always lamented this excesses and always tries to cut the fat out. Happened the same with Serenity. Its just his style.

Mind you, i wasnt in the editing room with him, so i dont know if he actually would have wanted a few minutes more, but i wouldnt read to much from the lenght of the assemble cut.

Just seen the movie.....................

GOD BLESS MY EYES
definitely going to see this one at least 3 more times lol

S**t , everything I ever wanted from an avengers movie packed into this movie

In terms of just purely comparative terms (I haven't seen Batman Returns or Men in Black)

Ultron has a better plot, Avengers has better humour. Not much separates them but I think Avengers just comes out on top due to its "big" moments.

No real moment will get you as pumped as Hulk smashing loki around, the "I'm always angry" line and so forth.

I'll probably take a few days to answer this properly, but at the moment, let's just say that Ultron is slightly worse then Avengers.

First off, go watch those 2 films. Well just MIB1. MIB2 wasn't all that good and nowhere as good as 1.

Second, that sounds disappointing. I hope it's good but usually I prefer sequels over the originals since you spend half of the first film dealing with the origin and in a sequel you can just go straight out.

Hopefully I see it differently.

I'm not old enough to remember but I remember reading that When Empire first came out, it had kind of a mixed (still positve) response to it, over time it was recognized as the finest of the series, but it was jarring at the time due to the tonal shift, we may have a similar situation here (Not comparing this movie to Empire but the circumstances are pretty similar, the first was A new hope with all those feel good moments, while this one seems to take that away.

Yea I remember reading that about ESB. Nowadays, ESB is more favorable. I remember a review for Dawn of the Apes saying it is to Rise what Empire was to SW.

It ain't no Empire Strikes Back or Godfather 2.

Is it like X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, TDK where the second movie is better than the first ?

Or is it equal to the first ?

I just watched the movie.... I think I need a few moments to process.

I only got one question. As a Hulk fan I'm interested in the answer.

Was Betty referenced in the film? I am not a fan of the Hulk/Widow relationship. I don't get why Whedon of all people who is this major feminist would give the only female on a team a story arc that deals with her being in a relationship with another guy on the team.

But hopefully it doesn't last.

Like some of my fellow Aussies, I just got back from seeing it too.

Also, hi, I am new :) and obvs a Hawkeye fan.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie and can't wait to see it again. RepulsorBlast said it is better after a second viewing and I think that would be the case. A lot of the times when you first see a movie like this, there's a lot going on and you're concentrating on specific characters or things and don't pick up everything. So, I can't wait to see it again and notice more stuff.

Don't let the reviews get you down. Obviously everyone has their own opinion and some people will love it and other hate it. But personally I loved it and thought it was funny and had a lot of action. I didn't think it was that dark, or maybe that was just me???

I only got one question. As a Hulk fan I'm interested in the answer.

Was Betty referenced in the film? I am not a fan of the Hulk/Widow relationship. I don't get why Whedon of all people who is this major feminist would give the only female on a team a story arc that deals with her being in a relationship with another guy on the team.

But hopefully it doesn't last.

No Betty at all

Its obviously not like the first movie. Its a different movie as was Joss' plan from the start. The question is: Is it a good film? It either sucks or it delivers. Of course theres some flaws in there Im sure but on repeat watches will it hold up?

It's not a bad movie by any means. It's just not as together as it could have been. At worst you'll be entertained I think. Repeat viewings is questionable for me however.

Its not like the first movie. Its a different movie. The question is: Is it a good film? It either sucks or it delivers. Of course theres some flaws in there Im sure but on repeat watches will it hold up?

This is another good point, I honestly don't know yet how I fully feel.

No Betty at all

rob-ryan-displeased.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity