The Avengers The Avengers Post Screening Review & Discussion Thread (SPOILER FILLED) - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe I'm saying this but I thought it was only okay. Maybe all the positive reviews so far have blown my expectations sky high, but I thought that the film suffered from pacing issues. Of the scarce negative reviews I've read, one critic said that the film is a mess until the last 40 minutes and I would actually agree with that.

The pace is so frenetic and not in a good way, this in turn has a knock on effect on key scenes such as
Coulson dying. I just didn't feel the emotional punch that this scene should of had and this, in my opinion, is down to poor build up to the moment.

I also didn't think much of the character interaction bar the work between RDJ and Ruffalo, the latter actually stealing the show for me both as Banner and his monstrous counterpart. But even Hulk is effected by the poor pacing, he randomly goes from
being an uncontrollable monster in one scene to taking orders in another scene, from not being able to distinguish between good and bad in one scene to saving the good guys in another scene. There's no pay off between these scenes to show us Banner learning how to control the monster

All in all, an entertaining 2 hours but no more than a 3/5 IMO. Disappointing as I was so excited to see this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"