The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

No way...Rises has the a lot of the best cinematography of the trilogy IMO. The city hall showdown moment with Batman anticipating Bane on top of the steps is one of my favorite shots in a Batman film. I've adored that since the first trailer for the movie. Just because one may not like the choice to have Batman in fully exposed daylight, it doesn't mean Wally didn't do what was asked of him and shoot the crap out of it in IMAX.

The Batman was able to use the Volume technology to its benefit and have "control" over magic hour. That's great. Not going to be an option when you're shooting a massive sequence with thousands of extras on location. Still love the scale and scope that Rises has and I'm grateful the third act wasn't shot on a green screen.

Last edited:
I loved TDKR on my first viewing but my issues with it have grown considerably over the years.

It’s one of my least favorite Batman movies tbh. I don’t enjoy rewatching it very much, and would rank it below each of the 90s Batman movies.

I know dogging on TDKR is always going to be the default "cool kid" position in Batman fandom. I'm totally okay with that and know everyone is just speaking their truth. And it certainly has flaws that are easy to pick at, and little things that bug me.

But the movie still rules, is still better than most comic book films, and I'll die on that hill. :yay:

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

Last edited:
My only beef with TDKR was that it was trying to fit too much into one movie. (and maybe some dodgy extras/fight scenes but it's a Nolan movie)

I know it was never in the cards for Nolan, but I feel like if they had part 1 of TDKR end with Batman's back being broken and have part 2 be Bane conquering Gotham (and have it be more fleshed out), it would have been a much better end to Nolan's Batman.

I would've gladly taken 4 films, but there's a big part of me that is still glad it's just an old fashioned trilogy with one movie each representing the beginning, middle and end. There's a certain symmetry to a classic trilogy structure that just feels right. But I understand where people are coming from, and could also see the argument for a third film taking place between TDK and TDKR before Bruce goes into retirement. Don't think any of that was ever in the cards though.

That said, I really appreciated the go for broke nature of TDKR. It took the themes and threats of the trilogy through to their logical conclusion which offered the biggest stakes and spectacle, and just went for it. And at 2:45, while I would've definitely embraced it being a 3 hour film, it's easy to forget that at the time it was still the longest comic book movie to date (not counting the extended Watchmen cut), and was still being criticized for being overly long and indulgent. There are valid criticisms to be had, but I don't think you can fault it for a lack of ambition.

Last edited:
It all depends on each pov, afterall. Rises's pacing never bothered me being an almost 3-hour moovie, in fact, I found it very dynamic with some action/drama/cool moments.

1/3 of the film is gorgeous... Wally could shoot the hell out of the imax. But, every time it goes back to the other format - it's usually out of focus and has rough framing techniques.

"Glad" to see I'm not the only one not fully connecting with Rises.

While there are some undeniable great scenes (I still love Batman's first reappearance), great performances (Caine is very touching in this film), and a real care to continue/resolve/renew some of the previous films thematics, I was always disappointed with this film as a whole.
I could elaborate, but I'm sure some takes would immediately derail the thread. :funny:

Since the theater, I've only seen the movie again in its entirety once or twice, casually catching it on TV. My opinion on it never really changed, but like @shauner111 , I still consider the film far above what the genre usually generates.

I know dogging on TDKR is always going to be the default "cool kid" position in Batman fandom. I'm totally okay with that and know everyone is just speaking their truth. And it certainly has flaws that are easy to pick at, and little things that bug me.

But the movie still rules, is still better than most comic book films, and I'll die on that hill. :yay:

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

Or maybe some people think it isnt that good...why does everyone assume just because someone has a contrary opinion they are doing it because it is "the cool thing to do"?

I think it is about 3/4 of a great film and 1/4 "Ummm...ok". I said that when I saw it (all 3 times) and I say it now. It isn't a bad film but there are parts that are full on headscratchers. The Talia parts were forced (not even including her meme-worthy death) and took away from Bane who was friggin outstanding!

Batman in the light of day was not the problem, it totally made sense and I was fine with it. The scene itself and the choreography was laughable though. The fight with Bane though made up for it...until the Talia reveal which again...yuck.

Of the 3 films it has always been my least favorite...if that makes me cool then:

9a2.gif

:o:ali::dotf::o:o:o:o:o:o

I actually like the Talia reveal. I just don’t get her casting. She’s at best a white British/French lady. How is she the daughter of Liam Neeson and what seems like a middle eastern woman? She was cast only because Nolan liked working with her on Inception. Same with Michael Caine being DiCaprio’s father lol. It’s a bit lazy from Nolan.

I don’t blame Marion for her death but I do think she wasn’t that into the role since she just had a baby.

I would agree with that...but I also hate the MCU so I mean that aint saying much :)
Same. I think the genre is mostly the drizzling ****s with only a handful of good movies.

I actually like the Talia reveal. I just don’t get her casting. She’s at best a white British/French lady. How is she the daughter of Liam Neeson and what seems like a middle eastern woman? She was cast only because Nolan liked working with her on Inception. Same with Michael Caine being DiCaprio’s father lol. It’s a bit lazy from Nolan.

I don’t blame Marion for her death but I do think she wasn’t that into the role since she just had a baby.

Same. I think the genre is mostly the drizzling ****s with only a handful of good movies.
who would've been a better choice for Talia in your opinion?

Rises is the best comic book film of the last decade, in my opinion and the only 2 CBMs that are close after the fact are Days of Future Past and Logan, of course. There, I said it. Despite any flaws, it's still an epic blockbuster that provides all the breathtaking thrills and emotion Nolan established in the previous 2 films. Above all, it's such a satisfying experience too. To have everything come full circle, and it be an ending is so final. I get why some take issue with the things, but everything else is so damn good, any glaring flaws are easy to overlook. Also, I gotta agree with @BatLobster about the fight on the stairs in the day light being one of the best shots of the trilogy.

I don't hate the MCU either, i just don't think any of them really have hit the heights of certain CBMs. I loved No Way Home, and I do think that was a really emotional experience, but overall most MCU movies have a certain level of entertainment they hit, but don't exceed "fun". I think No Way Home comes close to doing that, but I don't even think I hold Civil War or Endgame in that high of a regard.

Last edited:
Rises is the best comic book film of the last decade, in my opinion and the only 2 CBMs that are close after the fact are Days of Future Past and Logan, of course. There, I said it. Despite any flaws, it's still an epic blockbuster that provides all the breathtaking thrills and emotion Nolan established in the previous 2 films. Above all, it's such a satisfying experience too. To have everything come full circle, and it be an ending is so final. I get why some take issue with the things, but everything else is so damn good, any glaring flaws are easy to overlook. Also, I gotta agree with @BatLobster about the fight on the stairs in the day light being one of the best shots of the trilogy.

I don't hate the MCU either, i just don't think any of them really have hit the heights of certain CBMs. I loved No Way Home, and I do think that was a really emotional experience, but overall most MCU movies have a certain level of entertainment they hit, but don't exceed "fun". I think No Way Home comes close to doing that, but I don't even think I hold Civil War or Endgame in that high of a regard.

Thinking back, I'd say that's fair but at the same time

MV5BMjMwNDkxMTgzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTkwNTQ3NjM@._V1_.jpg

This absolutely belongs there

Or maybe some people think it isnt that good...why does everyone assume just because someone has a contrary opinion they are doing it because it is "the cool thing to do"?

I think it is about 3/4 of a great film and 1/4 "Ummm...ok". I said that when I saw it (all 3 times) and I say it now. It isn't a bad film but there are parts that are full on headscratchers. The Talia parts were forced (not even including her meme-worthy death) and took away from Bane who was friggin outstanding!

Batman in the light of day was not the problem, it totally made sense and I was fine with it. The scene itself and the choreography was laughable though. The fight with Bane though made up for it...until the Talia reveal which again...yuck.

Of the 3 films it has always been my least favorite...if that makes me cool then:

9a2.gif

:o:ali::dotf::o:o:o:o:o:o

images

:oldrazz:

I meant nothing by it. I assume everyone is being genuine about their opinion at this point. I'm just saying, I think disliking it/liking it least is the majority view in the fanbase. The GA is maybe another story. Mainly just admitting, hey, I'm a dork, the sheer largeness and emotion of the movie wins me over and I surrender to what the movie is trying to do because I think it tells a great and very worthwhile Batman story, and if that makes me uncool or more like a 'casual', so be it. Because I do see the imperfections, I just am able to accept them because the strengths are that much greater for me. I've always felt that fandom has been very harsh on the movie as a whole, and when I say fandom I do mean "fandom"-- IE people who tend to be more rigid/gatekeepey about comics accuracy and stuff, especially when it first came out-- but it's one of those things where I just am like...I can get it, but I also think the level of hostility it was excessive and certain things got blown out of proportion and then the 'narrative' just kind of solidified.

And I personally believe that the movie would be much less nitpicked from a filmmaking standpoint if it had told a story that more fans had wanted to see. I can't objectively prove how much that's a factor in the discourse, but I've always felt that piece of it factored in somewhere. Especially when I've seen people who are super critical of TDKR turn around and fully embrace BvS...and I won't open that can of worms, but suffice it to say, that movie has its flaws too. And that's FINE. Like what you like. It's liberating!

Hope that clears things up, cool kid. :cwink:

Last edited:
Have any of you seen Nando v Movies’ pitch for The Batman 2?

I quite like it, personally. It isn’t perfect, of course (a bit too fantastical for a second entry IMO), but I think it’s a pretty solid, unique idea.

the MCU is leaning toward campy and trying too hard to be funny, starting to become more like children series. saw this in Multiverse and Love and Thunder. looks like that really is an MCU trend now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"