The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

I actually like the Talia reveal. I just don’t get her casting. She’s at best a white British/French lady. How is she the daughter of Liam Neeson and what seems like a middle eastern woman? She was cast only because Nolan liked working with her on Inception. Same with Michael Caine being DiCaprio’s father lol. It’s a bit lazy from Nolan.

I don’t blame Marion for her death but I do think she wasn’t that into the role since she just had a baby.

Same. I think the genre is mostly the drizzling ****s with only a handful of good movies.
What's confusing about Liam Neeson having a white daughter lol?

Michael Caine isn't Leo's father in Inception, he's his father in law.

What's confusing about Liam Neeson having a white daughter lol?

Michael Caine isn't Leo's father in Inception, he's his father in law.
A white daughter with a French accent when her mother isn’t white and her father seems to have a regular English accent in the movie. It’s lazy casting.

I guess you’re right about Caine being Cobb’s father in law in the movie but i don’t remember it ever being clearly stated as such in the film. 12 years later and I still assumed he was his father. Well, Cobb talks to his kids and their grandma wants nothing to do with Dom. Again, I assumed that was Marion’s mother hence the hatred (she thinks Dom killed her daughter). If my memory serves me right, she didn’t sound French. So it’s even worse if Caine’s her father too lol. What’s with this girl? She always has a french accent but both of her parents in Nolan’s movies aren’t French? :funny:

Maybe Michael Caine has a French wife and he lived with her in France where Mal was brought up? You know an accent isn't a genetic trait right?

Maybe Michael Caine has a French wife and he lived with her in France where Mal was brought up? You know an accent isn't a genetic trait right?
Like I said her mother didn’t sound French.

So I guess Marion just keeps being raised in France by her Inception parents and her Dark Knight Rises parents. Nice coincidence. Or maybe there was no thought put into it and Chris just wanted her in his movies. It’s still lazy to me. Talia should have looked SOMEWHAT middle eastern at the very least. Instead she’s just a French lady. And Joey King is somehow her younger self.

Let’s not get into Casey Affleck’s voice getting higher as he becomes an older Timmy Chalamet :funny: or the three actresses playing Murph which don’t match at all. Nolan just doesn’t think about this stuff unfortunately. He wants his actors and he’ll get them even when there’s no logic.

There where a lot of different people in the pit dude. Probably even some from France!

Bro accents are a genetic thing lol. Your accent develops from your surroundings and hearing how other people speak. Why do you think second generation immigrants have a different accent than their parents?

Bro accents are a genetic thing lol. Your accent develops from your surroundings and hearing how other people speak. Why do you think second generation immigrants have a different accent than their parents?
So then Talia shouldn’t be French.

You’re trying very hard to make sense of this lol

A white daughter with a French accent when her mother isn’t white and her father seems to have a regular English accent in the movie. It’s lazy casting.

Umm yeah, not how genetics work.

I myself have a mother who's a quarter Indian (the rest being English, Irish etc) and my father was full Indian, which makes me something like 63% Indian... Yet my siblings and I are all lily white. With Australian accents and Indian names.

As for Talia and Mal's accents... They were raised mostly in France? Why not? Hell look at Chris and Jonathan Nolan. Full brothers yet one has an English accent and identifies largely with that culture and the other an American accent and identifies more with that.

And Murph, while we're on the topic... I can't fathom how this casting doesn't make sense to you.

murph.jpg

So then Talia shouldn’t be French.

You’re trying very hard to make sense of this lol
What are you talking about lol? Taila was raised in a giant pit full of criminals from around the world. She’s just as likely to sound French as anything else.

Foy - Chastain - Burstyn didn’t make sense no.

Lol you have Australian accents because you obviously spent time in Australia. So young Talia found her father and then spent a lot of time in France but Bane didn’t?

It’s simple. Nolan wanted Marion and didn’t think of the rest.

You don’t bend the character to fit the actor, you bend the actor to fit the character. The character should always take priority. There is no “well, we can chalk it up to Talia spent some time in France” nooo now you’re putting priority on the actor.

I think the idea is she's supposed to have an air of being "international" without anything too specific. There are times where her accent sounds more British (IE the default movie "foreign"), times where her native French accent comes out more, times where I can't place it. If she was explicitly Middle Eastern it would've also blown the reveal a little too much. And yeah, I'm sure Nolan wanted to work with her again coming off of Inception, but I think Marion checked the boxes for what was needed from this specific incarnation of Talia. Which I understand may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it worked for the movie.

Hell, most comic book films post-2000 can't hold 1990's TMNT's jockstrap.

Dude, I co-sign the hell out of that. The original TMNT is insanely underrated and one of my absolute faves in the genre to this day.

Shauner!!! Think about it for two seconds. Where did Talia grow up while she developed her language skills? Was it in a giant dark pit full of people from across the world speaking many different languages? She wasn’t raised in Ireland on Liam Neeson’s farm. It would make less sense for her to sound exactly like Liam Neeson, someone she wasn’t even around while growing up! Use your mind my man.

So let’s throw out logic for the sake of the plot twist. It also had nothing to do with international. Marion just can’t shake her thick accent completely.

Shauner!!! Think about it for two seconds. Where did Talia grow up while she developed her language skills? Was it in a giant dark pit full of people from across the world speaking many different languages? She wasn’t raised in Ireland on Liam Neeson’s farm. It would make less sense for her to sound exactly like Liam Neeson, someone she wasn’t even around while growing up! Use your mind my man.
So it would be her mom mainly.

Her mom and everyone else in the pit. What should she sound like to you? What’s the correct accent for pit prisoners?

I pulled up the TDKR script and this is the descriptor for her when she's introduced:

Alfred talks to an elegant woman, thirties, Miranda Tate. Her accent is European. Hard to place.

I do think Marion has trouble hiding her accent all the time, but I think that was factored into the way the character was written.

Shauner, to be fair given that you live in Montreal you may be quicker to spot a French accent than some of us. For me it's not something I was thinking about as much and I just read her as "European" and probably spent a lot of time in different countries.

Her mom and everyone else in the pit. What should she sound like to you? What’s the correct accent for pit prisoners?
Must have been a lot of French folk in that pit then. What a coincidence that the actress also happens to be French :funny:

Bend the actor to the character not the other way around.

By your logic, Ras wasn’t there in the pit but then how come she sounds more like Neeson (who doesn’t have an Irish accent in the film, he has a British accent)? With some strong French thrown in for good measure. Bane was also born in the pit and took off with Talia/Ras too...so I guess he should sound French too right?

Exactly, I live around French folk so I know what I’m talking about.

The doctor in the pit was French!

I don’t think you really have to bend the character of Taila at all for Marion. It’s pretty obvious casting, so obvious in fact that everyone correctly guesses who she was from the moment she was cast.

The doctor is Israeli.

We all knew Talia was being cast before Marion got the role.

images

:oldrazz:

I meant nothing by it. I assume everyone is being genuine about their opinion at this point. I'm just saying, I think disliking it/liking it least is the majority view in the fanbase. The GA is maybe another story. Mainly just admitting, hey, I'm a dork, the sheer largeness and emotion of the movie wins me over and I surrender to what the movie is trying to do because I think it tells a great and very worthwhile Batman story, and if that makes me uncool or more like a 'casual', so be it. Because I do see the imperfections, I just am able to accept them because the strengths are that much greater for me. I've always felt that fandom has been very harsh on the movie as a whole, and when I say fandom I do mean "fandom"-- IE people who tend to be more rigid/gatekeepey about comics accuracy and stuff, especially when it first came out-- but it's one of those things where I just am like...I can get it, but I also think the level of hostility it was excessive and certain things got blown out of proportion and then the 'narrative' just kind of solidified.

And I personally believe that the movie would be much less nitpicked from a filmmaking standpoint if it had told a story that more fans had wanted to see. I can't objectively prove how much that's a factor in the discourse, but I've always felt that piece of it factored in somewhere. Especially when I've seen people who are super critical of TDKR turn around and fully embrace BvS...and I won't open that can of worms, but suffice it to say, that movie has its flaws too. And that's FINE. Like what you like. It's liberating!

Hope that clears things up, cool kid. :cwink:

I know, I just liked the idea that I was cool ;)

The doctor is Israeli.

We all knew Talia was being cast before Marion got the role.
It’s actually a Scottish actor named Tom Conti clearly doing a French accent, but go off king.

And did we? Did we???

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"