• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

Is it 2016 again? Those days (turned into years) felt like hell. Constant rumors, made up stories of behind the scenes drama, films being green light from left field, etc.

Every other day a trade says something new or different.
I do not want The Batman to be tied to a shared universe.

Until Gunn sends out his plans, I don't buy ANYTHING.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they also add the Joaquin Phoenix Joker to the DCU as well. $40m plus box office points is enough to change anyone’s mind.

The second there were signs of hesitancy about Keaton’s future and reboot talk this seemed completely inevitable to me.

This decision could either hold up pretty well or end up horribly. Hope we at least get the trilogy done before a DCU merge happens.

The Batman is the first film of the DCU:cwink: If true, I'm not surprised given Zaslav saying there won't be 4 Batmen running around. I'm of the opinion that Reeves's Batman can coexist in a larger universe and do not think it is necessary to reference other heroes in his films.

Controversial opinion maybe but strictly based on performance Pattinson is the closest to how I always see JL Batman out of any on screen iteration. Outwardly cold to the point of coming off almost comically awkward and clinical - it's really easy to see him as a strategist and he would just be straight up entertaining to see in an ensemble paired with louder flashier characters. Where other people find it hard to picture such a gritty, grounded Batman interacting with crazy sci-fi **** I see a goldmine of drama and even comedy.

Ultimately my preference would be that this doesn't happen simply because shared universes are messy, unlikely to work and are a minefield for creative battles. But if the JL movie they stick him in is good and Reeves can just make his movies without having to feature obnoxious tie ins (who says it being modelled more on the MCU means solo films will be exactly like MCU solo films?), then its whatever especially if the alternative is Reeves walking and them incorporating Battinson without him.

It's gotta be a full reboot is my one caveat, I like plenty of these characters but it is insanely boring to me imagining him interacting with Cavill or Momoa or Gadot instead of fresh iterations.

I agree with SwordofMorning that if this happens it needs to be with a new cast of the other League members.

I am deeply cynical about the future of any of these movies, I cannot imagine a worse situation to be making film and television under than what is happening at WB right now but sometimes the homogenous blandness of the MCU and the flaming clown car pile ups that have been every other attempt at a shared universe make us forget that stories about superheroes teaming up and interacting with one another can be very, very good and do not inherently tread on the toes of those characters own stories.

That's the ideal scenario, there are a million ways it could and probably will go wrong but it's not like there isn't a rich tradition of great Batman stories with the Justice League. Some of my favourite Batman moments of all time come from JL stories or especially crossovers with Superman.

Wouldnt be suprised if they choose a diffrent director for each sequel, with Reeves producing it.

Honestly I'm not opposed to this at all, It would have to be with a majority new cast (which it sounds like will happen anyway)

I don't think Reeves is bothered tbh, I think Rob is definitely interested. If this does go through and all parties involved stay then that should be pretty clear that Reeves isn't as offended by the idea that some people are.

So Reeves version in a shared universe?, i guess most of the public wont take that serious.

I'll try to keep an open mind. I think it could work so long as Reeves movies aren't forced to fit in the lore of other DC heroes. At the same time, I still think that the shared universe stuff having to be a necessity is wrong. it's never been the only way to go about things.

Ultimately, I don't see this happening. WBD and Gunn/Safran would be crazy to try and crowbar Reeves' universe into the main DC universe. There's a reason that Matt Reeves wanted absolutely control and autonomy to do his own thing.

So while I'm sure they've thought about it, given how much of a hit The Batman was, I don't see them trying to force Reeves to do this. He'd walk if that happened, and then the studio would be without one of their bigger gets for a DC property.

We don't know he would walk it's just speculation.

If Reeves is good with it, then I guess I'd have to accept it. As long as it stays as a few easter eggs here or there, and we're not going to see Clark fly down to chat to Pattinson at any point.

Christ knows why they just can't make a series of decent solo movies though.

Oh. That is fascinating 'cause that is a pretty damn strong denial. Anything could still happen, but interesting.

Well like I said I wouldn't mind it but that's definitely not happening lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"