• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

THE CINEMA LOUNGE

Agreed on all but Armageddon. I saw that in theaters when I was 10 and I was bored by everything except for the animal crackers scene, which mortified me because my mom took me to see it. However, I don't hate the movie because I could never hate anything that spawned this certified classic:

Yeah. I like Saving Private Ryan, love Thin Red Line and I love Batman Begins and enjoy B&R all for different reasons.

But I cannot abide Armageddon.

And I’m sorry, but anyone who says that it “is a better story” than Private Ryan because it’s a smarter movie, has expressed an opinion that I don’t know can honestly be defended.

Yeah. I like Saving Private Ryan, love Thin Red Line and I love Batman Begins and enjoy B&R all for different reasons.

But I cannot abide Armageddon.

And I’m sorry, but anyone who says that it “is a better story” than Private Ryan because it’s a smarter movie, has expressed an opinion that I don’t know can honestly be defended.
Even Ben Affleck famously questioned the logic of Armageddon, where he asked Michael Bay why it was supposedly easier to train drillers to become astronauts than to train astronauts to drill, to which Bay told him to "shut the f*** up."

But hey, can we all agree that peanut butter and chocolate are perfect combinations?

IMG_4222.jpeg

(at least those of us who don’t have peanut allergies or are lactose intolerant)

I disagree on Armageddon being better than Saving Private Ryan but I hear a lot of crazy opinions from the normies who don't watch a lot of movies, so it doesn't surprise me.

That being said it's still wild to me that Armageddon was at one time in the Criterion Collection. lol

1715101320962.jpeg

I hope Eyes Wide Shut gets a theatrical re-release and I hope it triggers all the prudes.
Actually just saw that in theaters the other week in the ideal manner: with one single other person a few rows behind me.

I'm curious if this is the appropriate forum to discuss this topic.

Does anyone else share concerns about the future of movie viewing experiences?

To be more precise, should we be concerned about the ways in which movies are viewed nowadays?

Streaming has certainly made them more accessible to a wider audience.

There's substantial evidence to suggest that this will continue to be a popular platform.

Streaming services have broadened the reach of films, allowing movies that might have only been shown in a select few theaters to be viewed globally. Independent films, documentaries, and a variety of narratives have gained exposure through these platforms, enabling filmmakers to connect with more diverse audiences.
Aside from missing the communal theater experience, is there any other reason to be concerned if movie theaters gradually disappear?

What are your thoughts?

Abigail

What a fun flick. I can’t remember the last vampire flick that was this entertaining. Melissa Barrera is great. Dan Stevens plays a great scumbag.

8/10 on pure dumb entertainment.

Happy 5th birthday, to Mr. Parabellum.

450663a6163160ef40d2d9230aa2257a9bc272f6.gifv

Challengers

Luca Guadagnino set out to make the best and sexiest tennis flick ever made, got it. What a great soundtrack/score. I’ve always been lukewarm on Zendaya, but she won me over completely here, now my eyes are open, I now see what Neo does. The drama and back and forth kept me enthralled. Guadagnino has a way of elevating filth material into high end art. Like, this story shouldn’t work, but he gives us ham and thrills of the most elevated form. Masterful work.

One of the best flicks I’ve seen all year.

9/10

So, I live in Houston. Really bad tornado(s) rolled through close to where I live Thursday evening. We had no power until late afternoon/early evening yesterday. Some trees in our area were very badly damaged. Part of our fence on the left side was completely blown down, and my dad is in the process of fixing it. I did hear that there was quite a bit of damage and a lot of casualties/deaths. Thankfully, nobody in my family was harmed and we’re doing all right. Still don’t have proper Internet, so I am using the data on my phone to post this.

Hope any fellow Houstonians/Texans that frequent that boards are doing alright. :hrt:
Happy 5th birthday, to Mr. Parabellum.

450663a6163160ef40d2d9230aa2257a9bc272f6.gifv
Hey, many happy returns! Didn’t realize you had been back to posting again for a week! Hope you’re doing alright! :-)

Last edited:
While it's definitely nowhere near the top in my Star Wars ranking, I do like The Phantom Menace. But for anyone who was around 25 years ago, the movie itself is dwarfed by the hype around it, and it was truly something to behold. Sure, there have been at least a dozen or so blockbusters since then that had a ton of hype but the Episode I machine was on a whole other plane with the sheer amount of marketing promotions and merchandise.

Mountain Dew out of a Darth Maul can just hit different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"