The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

God, imagine how much the MAGAt crowd would lose their minds if Superman said this in his new movie. Dean Cain would probably lead a protest outside Warner Brothers.

Please for the love of God, let it happen.
They're freaking out cause a Protect Trans Kids graffiti appears in a Spider-Man movie.

Sorry. But I don't want any of it in a superman film. Not from the right or from the left.
I just want to be entertained. We have enough of the arguing in the real world.

Sorry. But I don't want any of it in a superman film. Not from the right or from the left.
Superman has to stand for something. He’s the “Champion of the Oppressed” after all. Defending the working class and marginalized, standing up against bigotry and hateful propaganda, it’s been inherent to the character’s DNA from the beginning. They’d better not toss it out now.

Superman has to stand for something. He’s the “Champion of the Oppressed” after all. Defending the working class and marginalized, standing up against bigotry and hateful propaganda, it’s been inherent to the character’s DNA from the beginning. They’d better not toss it out now.
Truth, justice, and a better tomorrow.

racismagainst.png

Superman-All-American.png

God, imagine how much the MAGAt crowd would lose their minds if Superman said this in his new movie. Dean Cain would probably lead a protest outside Warner Brothers.

Please for the love of God, let it happen.

Imagine if they had a scene that has Superman saying something that's anti-guns... oh wait, they did and it was "back in the good ol days". :o

66c6d5b6053bef71df2aebbd80b55e060383152a.gifv

b93aaa0a15c891b5ab277f5ce09fdd497be97de6.gifv

It won't matter...remember when they showed a female intern at The Daily Planet in the MOS trailer and people freaked out they "gender swapped" (I hate that term) Jimmy Olsen into "Jenny Olsen"? Of course that was never true but it didn't stop the bigots from saying it even AFTER the film was released. (And remember the Black Stormtrooper controversy?)

They will find a way to be offended so don't shy away from it. You don't have to throw it to the foreground but would it really be so bad if the All Star Superman scene where he stops the suicide had the character be lgbtq if it was in the film?

Oh I'm not offended, don't misunderstand me, my daughter and stepdaughter both are gay.

I don’t want any rah rah from the right brought into it either, ie, Bible thumping, flag waving, etc etc.

I just want to be entertained.
I don't want to sit down to watch escapism and have real world problems brought into the theater with me..
I get enough of that on a daily basis working EMS.

I hope that makes sense. I mean no offense to anyone. Far from it.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not offended, don't misunderstand me, my daughter and stepdaughter both are gay.

I don’t want any rah rah from the right brought into it either, ie, Bible thumping, flag waving, etc etc.

I don't want to sit down to watch escapism and have real world problems brought into the theater with me..

I don't know what your politics are, nor do I particularly care. But when you compare "bible thumping, flag waving, etc." to folk fighting for basic human rights, you're going to rub a lot of marginalized people and their supporters the wrong way.

The Batman, Logan, Black Panther, Iron Man, and TDKT are considered some of the better superhero flicks ever made. They dealt with political and police corruption, immigrantion, stochastic terroism, white supremacy, the military industrial complex, among other things. These are real, political problems we are dealing with in the here and now. Escapism at the theater is tied up in real world present day issues, all the time. John Wick is a critque of captialsm, Dune is a manifesto against white colonalism, and Star Wars is a tale of opposing fascism.

In the current landscape, it's hard to not notice that when LGBTQIA+ people's existence even comes up, things are suddenly considered "political". Same with women (hi Captain Marvel!). So in a world where a lot of terrible people are going to get mad that a character happens to simple be gay or trans, **** that noise.

Last edited:

I think Gunn is going to make a safe Superman movie. A film that will try to hit on all 4 quadrants. He kinda needs to hit a homerun his first time to bat. Superman has that baggage now for better or worse.

I don't know what your politics are, nor do I particularly care. But when you compare "bible thumping, flag waving, etc." to folk fighting for basic human rights, you're going to rub a lot of marginalized people and their supporters the wrong way.

The Batman, Logan, Black Panther, Iron Man, and TDKT are considered some of the better superhero flicks ever made. They dealt with political and police corruption, immigrantion, stochastic terroism, white supremacy, the military industrial complex, among other things. These are real, political problems we are dealing with in the here and now. Escapism at the theater is tied up in real world present day issues, all the time. John Wick is a critque of captialsm, Dune is a manifesto against white colonalism, and Star Wars is a tale of opposing fascism.

In the current landscape, it's hard to not notice that when LGBTQIA+ people's existence even comes up, things are suddenly considered "political". Same with women (hi Captain Marvel!). So in a world where a lot of terrible people are going to get mad that a character happens to simple be gay or trans, **** that noise.
Still waiting for Carol to reveal her and Monica's mom were more than just friends. :o

As an LGBT person myself, I also want none of this in Superman. I hate virtue signalling, and at times it can be just as offensive as out-right prejudice.

As an LGBT person myself, I also want none of this in Superman. I hate virtue signalling, and at times it can be just as offensive as out-right prejudice.
Having LGBTQIA+ characters is virtue signalling? Using this logic Jon Kent, Alan Scott, Kate Kane, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn shouldn't exist, let alone be adapted. I'm not sure a lot of other LGBTQIA+ folk would agree with that...

harley-quinn-poison-ivy.gif

Having LGBTQIA+ characters is virtue signalling? Using this logic Jon Kent, Alan Scott, Kate Kane, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn shouldn't exist, let alone be adapted. I'm not sure a lot of other LGBTQIA+ folk would agree with that...

harley-quinn-poison-ivy.gif

The discussion wasn't limited to LGBTIQ characters existing in these movies.

It was a discussion as to whether Superman should stand for "pride". As a character who is not himself LGBTIQ I don't know why anyone would do that or want that. It's like making Superman the symbol of feminism.

I think Gunn is going to make a safe Superman movie. A film that will try to hit on all 4 quadrants. He kinda needs to hit a homerun his first time to bat. Superman has that baggage now for better or worse.
Aiming to make a "safe" movie is the surest recipe for disaster in the business.

Now I hope that Jimmy Olsen is trans.
giphy.gif

They're not trans but non-binary, but now I'm totally picturing Bex Taylor-Klaus as Jimmy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"