The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

The discussion wasn't limited to LGBTIQ characters existing in these movies.

It was a discussion as to whether Superman should stand for "pride". As a character who is not himself LGBTIQ I don't know why anyone would do that or want that. It's like making Superman the symbol of feminism.
This is a logical fallacy. Clark has never needed to be part of a community to show empathy and support their fight for equal rights. Clark Kent doesn't need to be the symbol of feminism or Civil Rights, to show support for them.

Though I will say, while I disagree with your own logic, Clark, having a bisexual son, would have skin in the game and thus a reason to support the movement.

This is a logical fallacy. Clark has never needed to be part of a community to show empathy and support their fight for equal rights. Clark Kent doesn't need to be the symbol of feminism or Civil Rights, to show support for them.

Though I will say, while I disagree with your own logic, Clark, having a bisexual son, would have skin in the game and thus a reason to support the movement.
You're forgetting the iconic Superman saying, "over there has to stand for itself." :o

superman-and-magical-white-child-1292744492.jpg

Dunno why this one didn't catch on as much.

Uh, Superman is a feminist, for the record. That doesn't make him "the symbol of feminism" but it's certainly something he believes in. Literally the only way his soulmate could be Lois Lane...who actually IS a symbol of feminism in the world of comics/superheroes.

It is what it is. If you want to make a statement about LGBT rights then make a movie about LGBT characters. It was about a year ago that DC Studios canned the first blockbuster film featuring a transgender character.

There's a whole library of them and I'd love to see them adapted and allowed to keep their LGBT attributes:

Category:LGBTQ+ Characters | DC Database | Fandom

Unfortunately, outside of CW shows that hasn't occurred.

You'd be surprised how many LGBT people feel exactly the same way. Are we supposed to be grateful that Superman says something about "PRIDE" in a throwaway line or that Harley Quinn's bisexuality is represented in a 2 second animated clip, all of which can be cut out of the film in non-western markets?

The equivalent is a Superman movie where Superman promotes feminism but the movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test. It makes everyone feel better but actually does nothing - hence "virtue signalling".

Headlines like this will ensue...

Marvel’s gay moment shows the problem with virtue signaling | Washington Examiner

Ironically, for all the hate that Zachary Levi gets online, the best example I've seen of incorporating a gay character into a blockbuster film was Shazam! Fury of the Gods where it was funny, ernest and matter of fact.

The discussion wasn't limited to LGBTIQ characters existing in these movies.

It was a discussion as to whether Superman should stand for "pride". As a character who is not himself LGBTIQ I don't know why anyone would do that or want that. It's like making Superman the symbol of feminism.

Superman should be the symbol of what humankind can be; all the positive qualities of humanity, like hope, tolerance, acceptance, peace, love, and pride.

Superman should be the symbol of what humankind can be; all the positive qualities of humanity, like hope, tolerance, acceptance, peace, love, and pride.

This statement I completely agree with. But I don't need white, straight, male Clark Kent giving commentary on others' gender, race, sexual orientation or anything else. I'm amazed that this is still a thing in 2023.

If you want to comment on it, use a character who actually belongs in the group you're commentating in support of. If you don't have the guts to do that, then don't insult those groups by virtue signalling to them.

God, imagine how much the MAGAt crowd would lose their minds if Superman said this in his new movie. Dean Cain would probably lead a protest outside Warner Brothers.

Please for the love of God, let it happen.

superman meant a lot to me as a gay guy growing up in a country town who felt like he had to have a secret identity. Guess that’s just part of superman’s universality

EzR80dsVUAYoZV-

You guys and gals remember this? This is Superman roughing up a pro-war lobbyist (forgot the character's name), which is basically Superman confronting the military Industrial Complex, the biggest threat to the human race since the end of the 2nd world war. This comic came out in the late 30s, a good 15 years before president Eisenhower gave his famous speech about the threat of the military industrial complex

quote-beware-the-influence-of-the-military-industrial-complex-dwight-d-eisenhower-141-50-12.jpg

You guys and gals remember this?

superman-vs-kkk4144_465_279_int.jpg

This is Superman fighting the KKK (or the clan of the fiery cross). Superman played a legit role in taking down those A-holes in real life.

You guys and gals remember this?
maggie%20backstory%20part%202_62bd0f1b7f4a44.73293233.jpg

Maggie Sawyer telling Superman her "secret" and how it's affecting the custody of her son. Now this is the norm nowadays but back in the late 80s, well it was unheard of! Back when AIDS was stupidly referred to as the "gay virus", yet here is our favorite character effortlessly seeing past Maggie's sexuality to help her against the injustice of having her son taken away because of such small minded prejudice.

You know, it's funny how I constantly see stupid people all over pop culture internet discussing Superman's "relevance" yet Superman was fighting such relevant issues (War profiteering, racism and LGBTQ rights) before most people even had defintions for them. In other words Superman was and is so damn AHEAD of his time that he seems irrelevant! Honestly it would be kinda funny if it wasn't so awe inspiring. Such a great character!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Superman is for everyone, no topic (controversial or otherwise) is beyond the character's reach, this is why Superman is so widely accepted, even from where I'm from (mid-east) where anti-american sentiment is so high.
James Gunn and every other writer, director, creator who will work on the character in the future should never be affraid of using Superman to bring attention to urgent topics or send out a message of acceptance as long as the message is conveyed in an earnest, tasteful way (see the whole Maggie Sawyer affair from John Byrne) rather than a preachy, "hit you over the head" way to satisfy some political agenda, which is something that we're seeing alot of nowadays.

It is what it is. If you want to make a statement about LGBT rights then make a movie about LGBT characters. It was about a year ago that DC Studios canned the first blockbuster film featuring a transgender character.

There's a whole library of them and I'd love to see them adapted and allowed to keep their LGBT attributes:

Category:LGBTQ+ Characters | DC Database | Fandom

Unfortunately, outside of CW shows that hasn't occurred.

You'd be surprised how many LGBT people feel exactly the same way. Are we supposed to be grateful that Superman says something about "PRIDE" in a throwaway line or that Harley Quinn's bisexuality is represented in a 2 second animated clip, all of which can be cut out of the film in non-western markets?

The equivalent is a Superman movie where Superman promotes feminism but the movie doesn't pass the Bechdel test. It makes everyone feel better but actually does nothing - hence "virtue signalling".

Headlines like this will ensue...

Marvel’s gay moment shows the problem with virtue signaling | Washington Examiner

Ironically, for all the hate that Zachary Levi gets online, the best example I've seen of incorporating a gay character into a blockbuster film was Shazam! Fury of the Gods where it was funny, ernest and matter of fact.

I am not going to comment on anything except to say, if you are using the Washington Examiner to prove your point you have lost the argument. They are not a legitimate news site. They are on the same level as the cruddy clickbait sites that The Hype tends to either ban or we all ignore. Might as well use the Star or the Daily Mail or post a segment from Newsmax.

(this is just in case you don't know that)

As for the context of your argument I can't speak to that as a straight man. I can say that I have never heard someone personally (friends, family, students, colleagues) in the LGBTQ community who has said what you have but that doesn't mean you are wrong.

I am not going to comment on anything except to say, if you are using the Washington Examiner to prove your point you have lost the argument. They are not a legitimate news site. They are on the same level as the cruddy clickbait sites that The Hype tends to either ban or we all ignore. Might as well use the Star or the Daily Mail or post a segment from Newsmax.

(this is just in case you don't know that)

As for the context of your argument I can't speak to that as a straight man. I can say that I have never heard someone personally (friends, family, students, colleagues) in the LGBTQ community who has said what you have but that doesn't mean you are wrong.

No I didn’t know that. I’m not American and just googled the first link I could find which echoed my own “WTF??” moment during Endgame.

I’m all for representation, I just want to see it done correctly. Do it by putting the actual LGBT characters to screen. If you’re cancelling films with a trans-character but then having a straight, white, male character saying something pro-transgender, it’s pretty hollow.

That’s all I’ll say on the matter from now on, as I’m in danger of hijacking the thread if I haven’t already! Thanks all for listening to me!

Superman is the ultimate outsider. He may appear white, but he is not Caucasian, he is an alien. Therefore he can relate to anyone and everyone who feels alienated from society. Perhaps no one showed this better than Gene Luen Yang in his amazing work Superman Smashes the Klan. Yang gave the amazing picture that when Clark reflects upon his heritage, this is how he sees himself:

upload_2023-6-5_11-19-57.jpeg

Superman grew up in a small town hiding who he was, constantly battling with his identity and feeling “othered” compared to everyone else. He is relatable and capable of relating to just about anyone and everyone as a result.

Honestly, I’m fairly Team Corenswet now, but I consider Skarsgard a dark horse candidate. The freak-outs over his casting would be legendary, but I do feel like he could do it.

But yeah, more than likely, I’m betting on Lex. Same age range as Hoult, after all.

Well there are really only two options for movies, either superman legacy or batman II. I'm actually hoping it's for the batman 2 if he isn't being considered for brainiac.

That's a Lex. I would definitely prefer him over Hoult, at least. Could see Brainiac too.

Just out of curiosity, are there any particular actresses that you would prefer to see cast as the new Lois Lane?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually up for a role in The Authority, but he would make a good Lex if that's the role he's up for.

Just out of curiosity, are there any particular actresses that you would prefer to see cast as the new Lois Lane?
Rachel Brosnahan was a top pick for me before she was revealed to be a candidate. So she's definitely my top pick now. My other top pick in recent times was Adria Arjona. Of the other candidates named, I'd be totally cool with Samara Weaving and Emma Mackey. No to Bridgerton girl. She has not one iota of screen presence to speak of, imo.

What about you?

Rachel Brosnahan was a top pick for me before she was revealed to be a candidate. So she's definitely my top pick now. My other top pick in recent times was Adria Arjona. Of the other candidates named, I'd be totally cool with Samara Weaving and Emma Mackey. No to Bridgerton girl. She has not one iota of screen presence to speak of, imo.

What about you?

Just from first impressions alone, I'd be okay with either Jessica Henwick or Adria Arjona as Lois Lane. I haven't seen much of Rachel Brosnahan's work to really have a solid opinion about her.

I don't know whether I'd go with Samara Weaving or Emma Mackey, mainly due to their strong resemblance to Margot Robbie.

i just googled Samara Weaving and Emma Mackey and i couldn't tell the difference lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"