DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

I meant Aquaman & Thor as a GA 'view' or interpretation of similar worlds to them, in terms of creation.

It does seem a bit of a strange step to make Ocean Master the villain and not Black Manta. I am quite unfamiliar with Aquaman in the comics, but when I think Aquaman villains, I think Black Manta, and Orm does sound unfortunately close to Loki, in terms of the whole ‘which brother should be ruler’ conflict that including him generates.

It does seem a bit of a strange step to make Ocean Master the villain and not Black Manta. I am quite unfamiliar with Aquaman in the comics, but when I think Aquaman villains, I think Black Manta, and Orm does sound unfortunately close to Loki, in terms of the whole ‘which brother should be ruler’ conflict that including him generates.

Orm is your 'major' in the sense of the 'Loki' to Thor, and they are 'unavoidable' similarities unfortunately.

Black Manta is your right hand man, your next in line for bad guy duty, I think (and hope) given Wan's horror credentials, the Trench will play a part in this or future Aquaman film's, he has the potential to make them true horror / scary ass mother's.

Thor wasn’t the first to tell that story.
It’s a classic story that goes well beyond CBMs

It works fine for the first movie and it sets up Arthur as king

Thor wasn’t the first to tell that story.
It’s a classic story that goes well beyond CBMs

It works fine for the first movie and it sets up Arthur as king

He was in modern blockbuster movies, which the only reference point the general audience has. It could be a problem, but I’m hoping they have done enough to avoid to many comparisons. The last thing this movie needs going into its release is the idea that it’s ripping off Thor.

He was in modern blockbuster movies, which the only reference point the general audience has. It could be a problem, but I’m hoping they have done enough to avoid to many comparisons. The last thing this movie needs going into its release is the idea that it’s ripping off Thor.

Sad but true.

Orm does sound unfortunately close to Loki, in terms of the whole ‘which brother should be ruler’ conflict that including him generates.

Orm isn't like Loki at all. Their personalities are certainly quite different, as far as I'm aware. More importantly, Orm is the pure blood brother. He's the brother who has lived among the Atlanteans. It's the total opposite dynamic as the Thor/Loki conflict. The "which brother should be ruler" conflict is flipped in terms of the nature of the conflict and what it represents. So the only thing the conflict has in common is that it is between brothers, which is a trope that is as old as time.

Orm isn't like Loki at all. Their personalities are certainly quite different, as far as I'm aware. More importantly, Orm is the pure blood brother. He's the brother who has lived among the Atlanteans. It's the total opposite dynamic as the Thor/Loki conflict. The "which brother should be ruler" conflict is flipped in terms of the nature of the conflict and what it represents. So the only thing the conflict has in common is that it is between brothers, which is a trope that is as old as time.

You know that, I know that. Hank Chuckle**** and his family from Assend, Nebraska don’t. Guess what? Folks like them make these movies a success, not nerds like me and you. They won’t get the subtleties, and it might well come across to them as being too much like Thor. The film doesn’t need that, not when it’s already trying to turn the public’s attitude away from the outright distaste they showed for Snyder’s movies. This is my fear for Aquaman. It needs all the goodwill it can generate, given what an uphill struggle it has.

You know that, I know that. Hank Chuckle**** and his family from Assend, Nebraska don’t. Guess what? Folks like them make these movies a success, not nerds like me and you. They won’t get the subtleties, and it might well come across to them as being too much like Thor. The film doesn’t need that, not when it’s already trying to turn the public’s attitude away from the outright distaste they showed for Snyder’s movies. This is my fear for Aquaman. It needs all the goodwill it can generate, given what an uphill struggle it has.

What? I'm not talking about comic book knowledge. I haven't read the comics. I am talking about what I know about the film from what people have said about it already. It's the same kind of information audiences will get themselves when they watch it, and so the differences are ones they would see for themselves. It's not that subtle, and even if some do see similarities, so what? People did that with WW and CA comparisons, and it didn't matter. Plus, people like Thor. If Aquaman has some similarities to it, with some of its own special features, then it sounds pretty good to me. I'm not concerned.

The film doesn’t need that, not when it’s already trying to turn the public’s attitude away from the outright distaste they showed for Snyder’s movies. This is my fear for Aquaman. It needs all the goodwill it can generate, given what an uphill struggle it has.

I think that Mamoa provided that goodwill with what he did in JL and BvS. It seemed to me that in every review that talked about how bad those movies were, there was the addendum of "but Mamoa was a standout as Aquaman".

The best thing about aquaman and black manta's feud is how much they genuinely hate each other.

Manta kills aquaman's father. Aquaman kills manta's father. manta killed aquaman's infant son. The bad blood between them has often been some of the darkest among heroes and villains of the dc comics.

One time in the comics aquaman was believed to be dead and manta retired becoming a cook in a restaurant. When aquaman turned out to be alive manta murdered everyone in the restaurant and went back to the ocean to kill aquaman.

Last edited:
Patrick Wilson's three DC roles.
Patrick-Wilson-in-Watchmen.jpg

batman-v-superman-movie-screencaps.com-17392.jpg

$

I would say people are more forgiving of character similarities than they are plot ones. Archetypes in entertainment exist for a reason; Loki and Ocean Master are just two links in a centuries-long chain of evil sibling characters in fiction.

The bigger danger would be the plot seeming too similar to that of Thor's, which was a major problem for Justice League (and why I think having an alien invasion be the plot of the first movie was a terrible choice). From the sound of it, this doesn't have too much similarity to the Thor films other than being about two brothers fighting over the throne.

The best thing about aquaman and black manta's feud is how much they genuinely hate each other.

Manta kills aquaman's father. Aquaman kills manta's father. manta killed aquaman's infant son. The bad blood between them has often been some of the darkest among heroes and villains of the dc comics.

One time in the comics aquaman was believed to be dead and manta retired becoming a cook in a restaurant. When aquaman turned out to be alive manta murdered everyone in the restaurant and went back to the ocean to kill aquaman.

Sounds like Scorpion & Sub-Zero.

I think Patrick might have made an interesting Supes.

For a prequel Batman in his late 20's/early 30's:

Alexander Koch as Bruce Wayne/Batman
alexander-koch.jpg

Judah Lewis as Dick Grayson/Robin
426244_2017-10-12_Judah-Lewis_Los-Angeles-California_Vista-Theatre.jpg

Sophia Lillis as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
21d503c3ceff3dbdb0170a5e17000e22.jpg

Last edited:
Orm is your 'major' in the sense of the 'Loki' to Thor, and they are 'unavoidable' similarities unfortunately.

Black Manta is your right hand man, your next in line for bad guy duty, I think (and hope) given Wan's horror credentials, the Trench will play a part in this or future Aquaman film's, he has the potential to make them true horror / scary ass mother's.

"Trench dwelling cannibals" was mentioned in the EW article and got me hyped as hell.

I always thought of Black Manta as the number one villain. honestly Orm was always number 2. Loki similarity plus Black Manta's just more evil in my opinion.

It looks like Black Manta is being set up as the recurring big bad and most likely member of any cinematic Legion of Doom. This film is likely his origin story.

It looks like Black Manta is being set up as the recurring big bad and most likely member of any cinematic Legion of Doom. This film is likely his origin story.

Lex Luthor, Joker, Black Manta, Cheetah, Deathstroke... Legion of Doom shaping up well. Only missing a Flash rogue and possibly Black Adam for a Shazam rep.

Lex Luthor, Joker, Black Manta, Cheetah, Deathstroke... Legion of Doom shaping up well. Only missing a Flash rogue and possibly Black Adam for a Shazam rep.

Add Grodd and if they can come up with a good reason for Sinestro to tag along, add him, and then we’re good to go!

Maybe we could get Sivana as our bald genius instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"