Eternals The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Actually I think "IKARIS WAS RIGHT!" is a better t shirt idea.

He has a reasonably strong "greater-good" argument, as the Earth Celestial, Tiamut, would have created countless star systems, and probably trillions of living things - compared to the sacrifice of 7 billion humans.

This kind of thing is why people need to be reminded that Act Utilitarianism is BS, and that there's a reason Rule Utilitarianism was invented. :p

Marvel's Eternals Reportedly Announces Disney+ Debut Date

Too bad it’s not coming out around Christmas time. They could have taken advantage of the break.
Before Christmas would have been a little too soon since it'll still be in a good amount of theaters. I guess the pattern is now going to be streaming on Disney+ two months after theatrical release with a physical 4K/Blu-ray/DVD release 2-3 weeks later, like it was with Shang-Chi.

Looking forward to seeing this and check what the fuss was all about. It was actually one of my most anticipated comic book movies of last year.

I can't wait to watch the IMAX Enhanced version. Deleted scenes are also out. RMB said on Campea's show that he's seen two, Sprite was in both of them, and he said "Why were these cut?"

I just watched it again today myself, and yep...I still like this movie a lot. I aint getting into the debate of whether it's box office take necessitates a sequel or not. I do hope it gets one though. Whether it be a D+ sequel or a theatrical one.

I just watched it again today myself, and yep...I still like this movie a lot. I aint getting into the debate of whether it's box office take necessitates a sequel or not. I do hope it gets one though. Whether it be a D+ sequel or a theatrical one.
As I've said before, it flowed more smoothly on the second viewing than it did the first. It wasn't that it was hard to follow (though I did pick up some on the second viewing), but just seemed to fit better.

just finished watching this last night.
i can see why many critics / viewers had a problem with it, but i appreciated the scope, ambition and themes of this.
it was very different from the usual mcu film.
for me the issue was mainly pacing and trying to cram in so many characters you're introducing in under 3 hours.

as others have said, this would've been really good if they did it as a disney+ 8 episode mini-series.
then you can flesh out characters' motivations and arcs.

the story needed to be told through slow burn but 2.5 hours wasn't enough.

i do hope they continue this story whether through other follow up films or a series on d+ (imo, a series would be better).

i probably need to have a 2nd viewing of this to see if my opinion changes.

just finished watching this last night.
i can see why many critics / viewers had a problem with it, but i appreciated the scope, ambition and themes of this.
it was very different from the usual mcu film.
for me the issue was mainly pacing and trying to cram in so many characters you're introducing in under 3 hours.

as others have said, this would've been really good if they did it as a disney+ 8 episode mini-series.
then you can flesh out characters' motivations and arcs.

the story needed to be told through slow burn but 2.5 hours wasn't enough.

i do hope they continue this story whether through other follow up films or a series on d+ (imo, a series would be better).

i probably need to have a 2nd viewing of this to see if my opinion changes.

It did for me. I rather enjoyed the first viewing, but agree with your post. I found that the pacing seemed much better when I saw it again and really appreciated it much more. That being said, that's not a successful recipe for a theatrical release and, TBH, I'm not too sure that stretching it out is the answer. I think it's possible that introducing that many characters is an issue in general. The Avengers avoided that problem with IM, CA, an Thor movies.

I thought the pacing in the movie was fine. I think dragging it out longer would have made a lot of redundant scenes. That said, I do think a series sequel would be fine if they deem a movie not financially viable. But it must be said, Shang-Chi is getting a sequel and a show potentially, and yet that only made 32 mil more than Eternals

I thought the pacing in the movie was fine. I think dragging it out longer would have made a lot of redundant scenes. That said, I do think a series sequel would be fine if they deem a movie not financially viable. But it must be said, Shang-Chi is getting a sequel and a show potentially, and yet that only made 32 mil more than Eternals

I didn't think the pacing was horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but felt it could have been better and improved with the second viewing. I think I'll watch it again on D+. I think whether there is a sequel or not will depend more on the narrative Marvel wants for phase 4 rather than BO numbers.

Finally was able to watch this and I really liked it. It looks absolutely beautiful and while it’s not flawless, I think the good outweighs the bad here. I think the biggest flaw for me is definitely
that this movie doesn’t make you care about Ikaris. At all. He’s unlikeable on his own and he has zero chemistry with Sersi. It’s tough to buy into this millennia long love story when Kit Harrington as Dane Whitman is infinitely more likeable in his brief screen time than Madden’s stoic, clearly-not-the-good-guy portrayal of Ikaris. I mean it felt like their romance just consisted of Ikaris staring creepily at Sersi while standing next to her, professing his love and then ****ing immediately. I know it’s 5000 years or whatever but the way it’s shown in the movie is just not effective at making you care for their romance.

Plus they kinda spoiled the twist in the trailers when they showed Ajax explaining the emergence to him in the trailers. I got bad vibes from him in the beginning but then when they got to Ajak’s home and found her dead, I knew he was evil.

The rest of the cast was great. I loved Makkari and Druig and I need a Disney Plus series with them both immediately. Gemma Chan was great and I want to see more of Sersi with Dane Whitman. Kit Harrington really did a great job in his brief role. Jolie was great too and I want to see more of her. I’ll miss Don Lee’s Gilgamesh. One thing I didn’t like was Kingo’s Bollywood history. That was just… eh. And Nanjiani did a good job but I didn’t like most of the jokes they gave him.

Oh and
I don’t care for Harry Styles or Eros so that mid-credits scene left a sour taste in my mouth. The one with the Harrington was cool though. Can’t wait to see what happens with him and Blade :ninja:.

Edit: Oh and at one point,
this movie almost became like a snuff film to me :funny:. After Ajak and Gilgamesh’s deaths, when Druig and Thena almost got killed, I was about to flip out but thankfully they survived.

Last edited:
Just caught this on D+ and I'll say this, I enjoyed it more than Spider-man No Way Home and Shang-Chi

No way is this the worst Marvel movie ever when we have the 2 Ant Man movies, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, GOTG 2 and Black Widow out there.

I think this movie was better than those and even better than a bunch of other Marvel movies not listed above.

7+

It did for me. I rather enjoyed the first viewing, but agree with your post. I found that the pacing seemed much better when I saw it again and really appreciated it much more. That being said, that's not a successful recipe for a theatrical release and, TBH, I'm not too sure that stretching it out is the answer. I think it's possible that introducing that many characters is an issue in general. The Avengers avoided that problem with IM, CA, an Thor movies.

If I had to make a guess, Zhao probably came up with a really good overall story outline. . . that would have taken four hours to actually execute, because it effectively had two entire three-act structures. Trying to turn it into a single reasonable length movie is the source of most of the flaws. Why is Sersi so bland except in the intro/outro? Because her role got cut to the barest functional bones to fit everyone else in. Why the two bits of rather bizarre and clunky exposition? As a patch to fit in backstory and reveals that they just didn't have time to include naturally. Why are the Deviants so irrelevant and their boss almost nameless? Because they were the Big Bad of the first Act 3, and they had to cut out pretty much the entirety of that from the movie. Etc.

For reference, my guess about the original story outline:

Act 1- Intro to the main Eternals in the present day and arrival of the Deviant threat

Act 2- Travel the world, gather the gang together

Act 3- United, face and defeat the Deviant menace, but in doing so learn the threat is not that simple

Act 4- Investigate this new info, discover uncomfortable truths

Act 5- The big reveal about Celestials, with Ikaris exposed and the Eternals divided

Act 6- The Eternals form up, side against side, and fight over the fate of the world

If I had to make a guess, Zhao probably came up with a really good overall story outline. . . that would have taken four hours to actually execute, because it effectively had two entire three-act structures. Trying to turn it into a single reasonable length movie is the source of most of the flaws. Why is Sersi so bland except in the intro/outro? Because her role got cut to the barest functional bones to fit everyone else in. Why the two bits of rather bizarre and clunky exposition? As a patch to fit in backstory and reveals that they just didn't have time to include naturally. Why are the Deviants so irrelevant and their boss almost nameless? Because they were the Big Bad of the first Act 3, and they had to cut out pretty much the entirety of that from the movie. Etc.

For reference, my guess about the original story outline:

Act 1- Intro to the main Eternals in the present day and arrival of the Deviant threat

Act 2- Travel the world, gather the gang together

Act 3- United, face and defeat the Deviant menace, but in doing so learn the threat is not that simple

Act 4- Investigate this new info, discover uncomfortable truths

Act 5- The big reveal about Celestials, with Ikaris exposed and the Eternals divided

Act 6- The Eternals form up, side against side, and fight over the fate of the world

Sounds great. I'm not 100% sure it fixes the pacing, but certainly is a great storyline.

The bigger continuity problem is that the Eternals would have had to get involved with the Ultron crisis and the Thanos incident - because both of these would have affected their true mission ( to help humanity reach sufficient population size to allow Tiamut to be born).
They wouldn't have been affected by the snap because they are not really alive - but surely Arishem would have instructed them to either prevent the snap or find a way to undo it.

I don't think Arishem necessarily...
...follows events on Earth closely enough to know about every single thing that happens on it. The fact that he needs to keep the memories of the eternals to study the deviants indicates that he is far from omniscient. And he mentions that he has eternals all across the universe with the same mission, so it makes sense that his attention wouldn't always be on Earth.

Certainly Ultron would be small enough to fly under his radar. As for Thanos, Arishem must have either been unaware of his plan to erase half of all life or he must have been okay with it all along, because that affected all life in the whole universe, not just Earth. Earth would have lost half its population even if Thanos and the infinity stones never ended up there, as would every other planet with a celestial seed, so if Ashirem knew about the plan and didn't condone it then he would have stepped in long ago.

The Celestials are cosmic beings. They don't think in terms of like 10, 50, 100 years etc. Creating celestials takes thousands of years. Eventually life on all these planets Thanos erased life will return. For beings that live for millions of years, waiting a few thousand is a drop in the bucket. So ultimately I see them not being involved in Thanos for the simple fact that it is a temporary setback that doesn't really hurt beings that live for millions of years.

I really wanted to like this movie. The ambition, the scope, the cast.....

But it just felt like a slog to get through. And I thought the CGI in the third act was pretty horrid compared to most (but this wasn't a dealbreaker). It felt like there were too many characters who weren't given enough time to develop on screen. As some other posters have mentioned, I would have loved to have seen this as a D+ series where they'd have more time to explore the world Zhao created. I think she was onto something really special, but the execution was lacking to me.

Either way, I hope they're able to take what they started and make a strong sequel. I think now that the characters have been introduced future movies will be more easily digestible.

Truthfully, I thought the post credits scene (the second one) and the implications of it was the most interesting part for me.

rewatched this again and i enjoyed it alot instead this time.
for me, this is one of those films that require a 2nd viewing.

the issues i had with the pacing and character development are largely gone.
i guess because the first time i watched it, it was so many characters and so much ideas being thrown at you all at once.
but when i watched a 2nd time, my mind's already acclimated to all that.

the chemistry between ikaris and sersi is slightly better, but still not very strong.
deviants were still underdeveloped and mainly used as a smoke screen.

but the scope and story is very well done.
i feel chloe zhao pulled it off as best as anyone could with such a large cast of characters you're being introduced to for the first time.

for me, this was like mcu's take on a superman/ justice league story.
but much more character driven and zhao pushes the philosophical ruminations even further than your typical superhero movie.

i am looking forward to seeing where the story continues after this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"