Eternals The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

Sersi is the only Earth Eternal I'm familiar with with due to her time in the Avengers

It’s interesting there’s a split. Feige said in an interview that Ikaris thinks the eternals should keep themselves on their own version of mount Olympus basically but Sersi thinks they should schmooze with the earth people.

Maybe the mutants are descendants of Sersi?
99.9% of the time Eternals and baseline humans mate, the offspring are just normal humans. There's been only 1 character I know of that breaks that rule.

I personally don't like the idea of mutants being her descendants, or being linked to the Eternals. Other than their common link with the Celestials, of course.

In fact, I would love it if eventually, after several years of mutants being introduced, we find out there are mutants almost as old as Sersi. Such as Selene, who was born pre-cataclysm, around the same time as Sersi.

I haven't read a comic since the 90's, when was the experimentation explanation introduced? That was always for the eternals and inhumans not mutants.
Evolution was good enough for the films.
The way it I understood it, what was said is the experiments the Celestials conducted opened the way for the x-gene to eventually manifest itself in the baseline human population. So their experiments had a hand in the matter, but the gene's emergence was still a natural process of evolution that spun off from it.
It's not like when the Celestials were done with their experiments and left after the 1st host, they left behind Eternals, Deviants and Humans with the X-gene. That came about much later.

When was this established? I'm not sure the exact date and issue, but it was after Kirby created them in 76.
Probably around the time they were incorporated in normal 616 continuity. I believe that was in one of the Thor runs.

The way it I understood it, what was said is the experiments the Celestials conducted opened the way for the x-gene to eventually manifest itself in the baseline human population. So their experiments had a hand in the matter, but the gene's emergence was still a natural process of evolution that spun off from it.
It's not like when the Celestials were done with their experiments and left after the 1st host, they left behind Eternals, Deviants and Humans with the X-gene. That came about much later.

When was this established? I'm not sure the exact date and issue, but it was after Kirby created them in 76.
Probably around the time they were incorporated in normal 616 continuity. I believe that was in one of the Thor runs.

The What-If comics Vol.1 had an in-continuity side story continuing issue to issue not long after the Thor series ended focusing on the origin story of the Eternals. The What-If comics contain the most concise Eternal origin story as well as retcons the Uranians and Titanians as being connected to Eternals (Thanos wasn't originally intended to be an Eternal when 1st debuted until later retconned into one through here).

I dug up some info. below concerning volume 1 and how it compares with the earliest attempts that Marvel publishing made afterwards to integrate it into 616 comics.

In regards to Eternals V1 from what I could tell:
...as far as Jack Kirby was concerned since he didn't think the Eternals meshed well in the Marvel universe with all the other superheros and especially mythological gods that were already being utilized by Marvel. His vision of the series seems to have been for the most part stand-alone inspired as a comics riff on the whole ancient astronaut theory that was perpetuated in the '70's in various ways such as the books written by Zachariah Sitchen as the basis of various myths or certain religions around the world. Besides Marvel editorial having Jack Kirby loosely acknowledge the Marvel universe, his series seems to have mostly been stand-alone. https://forums.superherohype.com/threads/the-eternals-and-olympians-for-thor-4.531161/

In regards to first 616 integration attempts:
That being said, once the series ended loose ends were tied up in the Thor comic by Roy Thomas as the first major attempt at integrating the characters into the Marvel Universe and the arrival of the 4th Celestial Host was dealt with.
1978-1980: Thor: The Eternals Saga
2006: V1 Reprints Thor Annual 7 (1978) and Thor 283-291 (1979-1980)
2007: V2 Reprints Thor 292-301 (1980)

After this Thor series, the history of the Eternals were then intertwined further into the Marvel Universe retconning a few things as well (mainly Titans and Uranians being Eternals) as side-story in:
1980-1981: What-If vol.1 23-30:
2008-2009: What-IF Classic 4+5 Re-prints these:

https://forums.superherohype.com/threads/the-eternals-and-olympians-for-thor-4.531161/

Here's a picture of the re-prints may be available to purchase for download somewhere:
Thor Eternal Saga Re-Print: Thor: The Eternals Saga (Volume) - Comic Vine

Issues 4+5 of What-If Vol.1 reprints Contain Eternals origin story : What If? Classic (Volume) - Comic Vine

Last edited:
Reading materials sequenced by appearance after What-If issues:
1983-84: iron man annual 6 (As Tony Stark deals with alcoholism James Rhodes guided against his will to the Eternal City of Olympia realizing things are not right there); iron man 179 (takes place right Iron Man Annual 6 going off into unconnected story); avengers 246-248 (story after iron man annual 6; Avenger's pulled into attack on Eternal city of Olympia after Sersi is nabbed during high profile party; Starfox encounters the Eternals and past connection with Titanians explained some more too)

1985-1986: Eternals Volume 2 1-12 (Eternals that remained on Earth after previous appearance in Avengers mentioned above)

1985-1987: The Marvel Saga: The Official History of the Marvel Universe Issue 1 references Eternals briefly (Attempt by Marvel Publishing to summarize all Marvel Comics since early 1960's into 25 issues).
Spin-offs of "Marvel Saga" summarization format (not featuring Eternals): 1989: 4 issue wolvering saga 1991-1992: 4 issue spiderman saga 2007: long list of one-shots veiwed here: Marvel Saga - Wikipedia

After 1986, things get even more fragmented through various issues within Marvel comics over the years. I've done some research on this and can paste it on here as well but for now will just it at this.

Last edited:
For me i'd prefer if mutants were just the next evolutionary step for mankind with no outside interference. But my opinion isn't worth a wa*k. Up to feige.

Think eternals may be another alien race though like asgardians.

Thanks for the research Hello2016 :up:

For me i'd prefer if mutants were just the next evolutionary step for mankind with no outside interference. But my opinion isn't worth a wa*k. Up to feige.

Think eternals may be another alien race though like asgardians.
Based on the description they might make them a humanity offshoot like in the comics, looking at how the synopsis describes Sersi.

Don't worry too much about the alien genetic experimentation aspect. For all we know they could say humanity would've eventually gotten there anyway, just the experiments brought it on earlier. That's assuming they touch on the subject at all.

What happened to the posts I just set-up last night?

Have the mods been deleting a lot of posts in this thread? I posted the initial 616 appearances of Eternals in comics last night for anyone interested; was thanked for researching into it and now they're deleted. What gives?

Have the mods been deleting a lot of posts in this thread? I posted the initial 616 appearances of Eternals in comics last night for anyone interested; was thanked for researching into it and now they're deleted. What gives?
No....we have had some kind of hack again....it has screwed up a lot of things and mainly it has deleted several days of posts.

No....we have had some kind of hack again....it has screwed up a lot of things and mainly it has deleted several days of posts.

Thanks. That clarifies things. I put some time into it researching it but was mainly copying/pasting to an extent what I found before. Appreciate the reply as really started to wonder there. The website is acting a bit bonky at the moment and noticing some newer posts appearing as older so will wait until it subsides.

I know very little about them, I do expect a credit scene to tease them in A4.

Do you think they’ll include anything from the Gaiman/romita run?

I know very little about them, I do expect a credit scene to tease them in A4.

I don't think they are at a point yet to do that. And my gut tells me that while there might be plans for the Eternals that the real thrust of the next phase is going to be about the Skrulls specifically. So I am guessing a mid credit scene pertaining to the future of the Avengers and then a post cred that teases a Secret Invasion gloss for the next big huge arc.

I wonder where humanity is at at this point? I mean the eternals enhanced human evolution didn’t they? So are we still apes?

Might recognise some family members

I wonder where humanity is at at this point? I mean the eternals enhanced human evolution didn’t they? So are we still apes?

Might recognise some family members
?
Are you asking if the film will take place in pre-history? If so, based on the description, it doesn't sound like it.
We might get some flashbacks to the first Celestial Host, but I doubt that is any significant time in the movie itself.

Also, the Eternals did not enhance humans. The Celestials and then the Kree experimented on humans. The Eternals were just the "protectors" of the Celestials' experiment, aside from being part of the experiment themselves.

Right, sorry been a while since I read the gaiman one and I don’t have access to the kirby run. It would be fun to see the celestials meddling with humanity though

Some interesting casting ideas here

Dream Casting: The Eternals

Not sure if I love Sam claflin as Ikaris but he would suit the role. And now is definitely not the time to cast Geoffrey rush at the moment because he’s dealing with his own metoo stuff. Maybe frank langella?

All I can say is that I'm so excited to see them in the MCU. I'd never imagined that would happen!

I don't think they are at a point yet to do that. And my gut tells me that while there might be plans for the Eternals that the real thrust of the next phase is going to be about the Skrulls specifically. So I am guessing a mid credit scene pertaining to the future of the Avengers and then a post cred that teases a Secret Invasion gloss for the next big huge arc.
More of a line drop or artifact and no physical appearance by potential members kind of tease.

One of the things I'm more excited about this is that we'll see a lot more about the Celestials, I suppose!

One of the things I'm more excited about this is that we'll see a lot more about the Celestials, I suppose!

Agreed. Hopefully the mega powers (eternity, living t etc...) get introduced in avengers 4. Would really like to see that part of marvels universe.

Agreed. Hopefully the mega powers (eternity, living t etc...) get introduced in avengers 4. Would really like to see that part of marvels universe.

That too, even if it's just a little hint. Considering Marvel is going cosmic next phase, it's probable that the abstract entities will appear somehow.

Next phase? They’ve done cosmic since the first guardians of the galaxy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"