Eternals The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

I'm not so keen on how, if you gave Ikaris a metal arm and blue leather jacket, he'd pretty much look like Bucky. I wish they gave him the He-Man hair.

Who is speaking saying they haven't interfered until now? Is that Salma Hayek?
The subtitles for the trailer says that is Ajak(played by Selma) narrating. So yes, that’s her.

And why haven't they interfered until now? Infinity War didn't warrant that? Who else is going to say the same thing? X-Men? Fantastic Four?
That’s assuming either one of those two teams were even in existence pre-Endgame.

Man the vibrant/lush cinematographhy in this looks absolutely stunning and tonally it feels very unique compared to past MCU films which is a style I hope to see them use more honestly.

I didn't even mind the joke at the end because for the most part it felt natural and not forced and I look forward to more scenes like that where we actually get to see these characters bond and interact with eachother.

Also, I still cant get over how amazing this cast is.

Eh didn't like the usual MCU habit "lets add a joke for a little smirk just cause".
Other than that and the song, it was a nice trailer.

Yeah, unfortunately as usual it's the corporate-mandated MCU gags that are the biggest problem here.

Hopefully it'll be less prevalent in the movie (although I'm not holding my breath).

It looks nice, but why no giant armored space gods? That's your hook, baby! I would have preferred they ditched the MCU gag and showed a Celestial.

Maybe saving that for trailer 2

Man the vibrant/lush cinematographhy in this looks absolutely stunning and tonally it feels very unique compared to past MCU films which is a style I hope to see them use more honestly.

I didn't even mind the joke at the end because for the most part it felt natural and not forced and I look forward to more scenes like that where we actually get to see these characters bond and interact with eachother.

Also, I still cant get over how amazing this cast is.

Visually, it's definitely the first MCU movie since, well, ever to actually look like a movie. But story-wise it seems to be just generic standard MCU fare and that gag at the end makes me seriously concerned that Feige and Co. forced Zhao to cram a bunch of cringe one-liners in there for no other reason than "Its an MCU movie".

I fear that what could have been an epic fantasy story is gonna end up just being another Guardians or Ragnarok joke-fest, albeit with less green-screen and better lighting.

I'm actually not a fan of the look. I think the visuals are very drab and don't stand out much. I like the idea of the film more than the visuals at this point. I think Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor: Ragnarok stood out because of its visual palette. Hopefully there's much more to see.

Visually, it's definitely the first MCU movie since, well, ever to actually look like a movie. But story-wise it seems to be just generic standard MCU fare and that gag at the end makes me seriously concerned that Feige and Co. forced Zhao to cram a bunch of cringe one-liners in there for no other reason than "Its an MCU movie".

I fear that what could have been an epic fantasy story is gonna end up just being another Guardians or Ragnarok joke-fest, albeit with less green-screen and better lighting.

Maybe the joke is only for the trailer so audiences know it's connected to the MCU, but it won't be in the final film? Most Marvel trailers these days for movies you can't even trust that what you see will be what you get.

Visually, it's definitely the first MCU movie since, well, ever to actually look like a movie. But story-wise it seems to be just generic standard MCU fare and that gag at the end makes me seriously concerned that Feige and Co. forced Zhao to cram a bunch of cringe one-liners in there for no other reason than "Its an MCU movie
The first Iron Man, and the Guardians movies(especially Vol. 2) would like a word with you.

Last edited:
The first Iron Man, and the Guardians movies(especially Vol. 2) would like a word with you.

Vol.2? As much as I like that film, it looks visually inferior to the first GOTG. Don't know where the put my finger on it, it's just that the colours of that film look all over the place, more "green screen"-ish and not as consistent as the first film's.

As for the Eternals trailer, i liked the visuals and it certainly looks unique, but the lack of any money shots really puts it below some of the other MCU trailers for me. It's just... there.

Hopefully Trailer 2 will show more good stuff.

I disagree on Iron Man. Sure, it had less green screen, but the lighting was still flat.

As for the GOTG, they're probably the best-looking MCU films, but they still have that synthetic look that all MCU films have. It's just less pronounced.

I'd be very happy if Eternals is as enjoyable as Ragnarok or one of the Guardians flicks. Both of which, along with with the rest of the MCU entries, look like movies. But the Academy Award winning director of Nomadland had been very open about having the freedom to write and direct Eternals according to her artistic sensibilities. So unless she is a lying liar we can all be confident that whatever gags we see in the film were approved by Ms. Zhao.

I'd be very happy if Eternals is as enjoyable as Ragnarok or one of the Guardians flicks.

My issue with these films isn't that they are bad, but rather that they are painfully average and pedestrian, something I was hoping this would be able to exceed.

But the Academy Award winning director of Nomadland had been very open about having the freedom to write and direct Eternals according to her artistic sensibilities. So unless she is a lying liar we can all be confident that whatever gags we see in the film were approved by Ms. Zhao.

Like any director, Zhao has her talking points from the studio, and as such everything she will say from now until the movie's release is what Disneu/Marvel want her to say.

Its usually only AFTER a movie comes out that we get the honest opinions of the people who made it.

a14acaa53b60f3f37b5fe87009728792a66689d6.gifv

c5eecc915c979d1111c20c596e549332e4b209af.gifv

9f4f675ea7cfc469043b5ecaa726972a8ab4a826.gifv

9d75509a99249c6d85c238ba497d75239b0c1143.gifv

38b3ab4b9753725317039cc3e6caa13fb27ab045.gifv

I don‘t think, that Chloe Zhao had 100% of creative freedom at that time. The studio was impressed by her pitch, but she wasn’t as big as she‘s now.
She definitely has to do some things, the studio asked her to do and she probably won’t have includdd, if she had complete freedom

In all honesty the Teaser didn’t do much for me. Pretty visuals and a simplistic vibe. It felt somewhat like an empty shell.

Hopefully the Oficial trailer can deliver. This was actually one of this year’s comic book movie I was most excited about. The unknown intrigued me but I was left somewhat underwhelmed.

I'm guessing this is set after FatWS. Why else would you refer to Steve as Captain Rogers rather than Captain America except to avoid confusion with another Captain America?

I'm guessing this is set after FatWS. Why else would you refer to Steve as Captain Rogers rather than Captain America except to avoid confusion with another Captain America?

I don't think anyone would've been confused if they said Captain America but would've understood it was Steve Rogers by the context.

Like any director, Zhao has her talking points from the studio, and as such everything she will say from now until the movie's release is what Disneu/Marvel want her to say.

Its usually only AFTER a movie comes out that we get the honest opinions of the people who made it.

We were made well aware of the problems Alan Taylor and Joss Whedon were having on TDW and AOU, respectively, before the films were released. It could be that Chloe Zhao is struggling to keep an upbeat attitude despite Feige and company riddling her sophisticated cinematic offering with juvenile humor. You know, for kids. But I doubt it.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would've been confused if they said Captain America but would've understood it was Steve Rogers by the context.

I don't think so either. But that strikes me as Marvel making darn sure that nobody is confused.

We were made well aware of the problems Alan Taylor and Joss Whedon were having on TDW and AOU, respectively, before the films were released. It could be that Chloe Zhao is struggling to keep an update attitude despite Feige and company riddling her sophisticated cinematic offering with juvenile humor. You know, for kids. But I doubt it.

To be fair to Marvel, that was before Whedon was revealed to be a creep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"