Eternals The Eternals General Disscussion and Speculation thread

I know nothing about this. Trailer was Meh. Can someone who's a fan give me a run down of who these guys are? Power sets, backstory etc Because I'll be honest, these guys look like they're from Thor's universe.

This is pretty much how I responded to it as well. I don't know all that much about them either.
So my response isn't as enthusiastic as my fellow fans online are.

I thought the trailer was well made , but it just didn't do anything for me.

I didn't hate or dislike it, I was just like , "Oh. Okay". I had the same reaction to Shang Chi.

As far as the joke goes, I saw it more as telling the audience, " Hey guys, this is part of the MCU !". That's fine.

I didn't laugh at the scene , but it served its purpose for the GA .

I dont usually laugh at jokes in the films but I've never been bothered or turned off by them, levity is needed. I thought the trailer had some fantastic visuals I'm eagerly anticipating more.

The Square, flat spaceship was kinda cool too in a weird way, if anyone could post a Gif of that I'd appreciate it ;)

I think you're correct that one of the goals was to assure fans that this is part of the MCU. And including it in the teaser was likely worth millions.

I just wish it was part of a scene that worked out of context.

Hey Evil Twin, here's a pic you could use as your avatar for your username if you want:
5arpkh-1.gif

I was just watching this film on TV last night: "The Man Who Haunted Himself" - about Roger Moore's evil twin. Some of his best acting there.

This is pretty much how I responded to it as well. I don't know all that much about them either.
So my response isn't as enthusiastic as my fellow fans online are.

I thought the trailer was well made , but it just didn't do anything for me.

I didn't hate or dislike it, I was just like , "Oh. Okay". I had the same reaction to Shang Chi.

As far as the joke goes, I saw it more as telling the audience, " Hey guys, this is part of the MCU !". That's fine.

I didn't laugh at the scene , but it served its purpose for the GA .
giphy.webp

Not gonna lie and yes I’m a bit shallow but being the first gay superhero in the MCU I really wish he was played by someone attractive lol.

You might get your wish in Thor Love and Thunder as there are rumors that
Valkyrie gets a queen

Regarding the jokes in the MCU, for me it boils down to this: there's a big difference between BEING serious and TAKING things seriously. I don't expect all Marvel films to be 100% serious like Schindler's List but the characters have to take what's going on in the movie seriously (unless there are no serious circumstances to begin with). This is why THOR: RAGNAROK did nothing for me. Ragnarok is a massive, frightening event that the film didn't really take seriously at all. Sure, put comedy in wherever it fits, but take the story seriously!

Regarding the teaser, I liked it. It left me asking a bunch of questions which means it worked.

Here are my predictions for the new characters and how they will interact with the rest of the MCU. I am not including She Hulk, or Kate Bishop since they already have established MCU characters confirmed:
  • Shang Chi- He'll do something to attract the attention of an existing MCU character, not necessarily an Avenger though. He could do something that attracts the attention of a certain FBI Agent (Jimmy Woo) last seen investigating the events in Westview, New Jersey.
  • The Eternals-
    if the leak is true and Dane Whitman is looking at a sword in post credits and someone stops him, that could be an established MCU character, although not necessarily an Avenger. If it is an MCU character we already know and it's not a hero, I am going to guess Wong.
  • Ms. Marvel- Either Carol Danvers or Monica Rambeau show up in the post-credits, leading to The Marvels
  • Moon Knight- No idea as they are filming right now and the only confirmed cast members are Ethan Hawke and Oscar Isaac.
  • Iron Heart- Don't know as it's too early to say, but Iron Heart is connected to Iron Man in the Comics. It's too early, but I am going to guess one of Rhodey, Pepper or Happy show up.
  • Fantastic Four- Too early at this point, but Kang the Conqueror is also a Fantastic Four villain.
These are only predictions, so chances are I am going to be completely wrong.

Had no issue with the teaser trailer, and had no huge expectations from it. It was a teaser so I don't know why some (I mostly saw this on facebook) were expecting to see the entire movie lol. I guess they are used to trailers these days giving everything away.

Interesting that there are (at least) three asian characters in the movie. Marvel has been seriously lacking in that department and with Shang Chi being the first asian marvel hero with his own movie, I'm glad to see some other asian characters who aren't going to be kung fu masters (or that's my assumption, anyway).

Had no issue with the teaser trailer, and had no huge expectations from it. It was a teaser so I don't know why some (I mostly saw this on facebook) were expecting to see the entire movie lol. I guess they are used to trailers these days giving everything away.

Interesting that there are (at least) three asian characters in the movie. Marvel has been seriously lacking in that department and with Shang Chi being the first asian marvel hero with his own movie, I'm glad to see some other asian characters who aren't going to be kung fu masters (or that's my assumption, anyway).

Because Sony and WB/DC do it all the time.

I like how they say they've never interfered and literally show them interfering with early humans and continuing to do so throughout the ages.

And I really wanna know why they didn't fight Thanos. Did they have something better to do when Thanos was trying to strip the universe down to its atoms?

I think that the issue that people have is that it's going for something different, and it's a lesser known property, to even alot of fans.

The teaser gives a very serine , quieter , view of these characters that the vast majority of people know nothing about , so, I think alot of fans probably don't know what to make of it as a property, or potential film.

On the other hand, alot of fans like the mystery aspect of these new characters ,so the reaction is mixed to it among fans

And to be fair, Spiderman No Way Home teaser is really what alot of fans are more hyped to see, with all the speculation surrounding it.

I haven't seen the same excitement toward Eternals or Shangi Chi , so there may be some of the "let's get to what we want to see" feeling in fandom.

I didn't have an expectations going into the trailer myself, but I wasn't all that gaga over it.
It just didn't excite me even as a teaser. But , it did what it needed to do.

I do think the film looks well made .

I like how they say they've never interfered and literally show them interfering with early humans and continuing to do so throughout the ages.

And I really wanna know why they didn't fight Thanos. Did they have something better to do when Thanos was trying to strip the universe down to its atoms?
That's my problem with the joke at the end - there's obviously a very serious reason why they didn't intervene when Thanos attacked, so joking like that just seems quite low hanging fruit.

To me it comes across as sneering at the heroes they didn't bother to assist for some dark and aloof reason.

I'm still excited about this film but I have concerns about the tone they're going for. These beings need to be cold and distant for the story until now to make sense, but that is at odds with Marvel's need to always make their heroes relatable...it's those two being at odds with each other that I believe leads to a very flat joke.

Regarding the jokes in the MCU, for me it boils down to this: there's a big difference between BEING serious and TAKING things seriously. I don't expect all Marvel films to be 100% serious like Schindler's List but the characters have to take what's going on in the movie seriously (unless there are no serious circumstances to begin with). This is why THOR: RAGNAROK did nothing for me. Ragnarok is a massive, frightening event that the film didn't really take seriously at all. Sure, put comedy in wherever it fits, but take the story seriously!

This is one of the reasons I dislike Ragnarok too. Thor loses his father and his home planet and the movie treats it all like a big joke.
The other reason is I find Waititi's humor sophomoric and unfunny.

Does anyone know why Sersi is wearing a modern day flannel shirt in Ancient Babylon's market? The same one she wears in modern day London.

Screenshot_20210525-024414_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210525-024425_Chrome.jpg

Is she time hopping or is this some memory ability she has that allows her to walk through her own memories?

Looks super fun. Not a fan of the choice of music but Gemma looks perfect as Sersi

Good lord, that ending scene ruined the entire trailer. They had a cool vibe going up until that ****ty "comedy" scene with terrible acting and cringe dialogue.

Making an Eternals movie is such a weird choice.

I found it far less grating than Shang-Chi’s with Awkwafina stopping a bus and quipping about being a good team.

The Eternals one makes clear to casuals that this is in the MCU, largely post-Endgame. It also informs them feeling like a family. It wasn’t intended to be hilarious.

Visually, it's definitely the first MCU movie since, well, ever to actually look like a movie. But story-wise it seems to be just generic standard MCU fare and that gag at the end makes me seriously concerned that Feige and Co. forced Zhao to cram a bunch of cringe one-liners in there for no other reason than "Its an MCU movie".

I fear that what could have been an epic fantasy story is gonna end up just being another Guardians or Ragnarok joke-fest, albeit with less green-screen and better lighting.

So you ignored the tone of the entire trailer before that, and assume that because one character was shown to make a joke once that it’s gonna be a joke-fest.

Not gonna lie and yes I’m a bit shallow but being the first gay superhero in the MCU I really wish he was played by someone attractive lol.

aww hes adorable, come on
And the dude playing his husband looks like a fairly attractive guy

and seriously, people need to get over the joke, it was meant to be like our meetcute with the team basically, might not have been the best joke ever in a Marvel movie but people predicting the movie will suck based off that one moment are seriously jumping the gun

its like yall got stockholm syndrome from constantly hearing about that godawful snyder cut piece of s*** for the past year and now all comic films must be gray and up their own a**

Last edited:
The reaction is mixed, and that's okay. This is just a teaser.

Marvel is clearly going for something different and clearly fans are having different responses to it.

It's a story in a new decade that features new characters and a new approach. Some people just aren't gonna be receptive to that at first, like it or not.

In a way , I'm not super surprised since Endgame was basically the capstone of 10 years worth of storylines and characters who audiences got to know and love, and this is coming in the wake of that.

So , I'm not bothered that the reaction isn't universal love and praise. While fanboys may know these characters, the vast majority of people don't and won't.

It's gonna be up to Marvel and the filmmakers to make them care, just like they did a decade ago with GOTG , Ant Man, or Thor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"