The Flash The Flash Season 2 Episode 8: "Legends of Today"

The episode didn't "wow" me but it was entertaining. I'm hoping part 2 tonight is a stronger installment. The Arrow/ Flash vs Hawkman fight was cool, the humor was on point (Felicity telling Cisco "this is MY house!" I chuckled out loud), Vandal was good and the ending was a nice little surprise. I hope tonight's installment ups the ante.

I liked elements of this episode and then their are others moments that just rub me the wrong way.

The good
Vandal Savage
Hawkman effects
Harrison Wells
Malcolm appearance
Dark vs. Team Arrow
Flash lighting bolt dash blast

Bad
The way the reveal of Secret Identities, first Cisco calls out Barry's name in costume, then Barry brings Kendra to Arrow's quiver headquarters with Team Arrow revealing their identities (FORCED and stupid)

Barry's whining, I get Zoom beat his ass royally but after last weeks episode with Grood it appeared that Barry learned to just embrace that Heroes sometimes go through struggles but they come back strong. Barry seemed off, where Oliver seemed more optimistic .

The Mystical explanation felt forced

Flash scored a 1.4 in the ratings last night, which is a very normal number for it.

So the Arrow crossover didn't boost the show at all. Arrow should see a boost tonight though.

the humor was on point (Felicity telling Cisco "this is MY house!" I chuckled out loud)

Or their cute fail five. I totally enjoyed all the character interactions this Episode.

The Mystical explanation felt forced

Ya, it was basically a note to Flash viewers that don't watch Arrow

"Arrow deals with mysticism and magic now"

Just didn't need it. Would have been better off just go with the simple "they can help".

For those familiar with the lore, how accurate is this Savage? I pretty much only know him from the JLU Episodes and from Young Justice. There I got the impression he's just an immortal person and that's it. No Mystical background or anything.

So Barry, Joe, how's that whole "keeping Patty in the dark" going for you? Not well it would seem.

For those familiar with the lore, how accurate is this Savage? I pretty much only know him from the JLU Episodes and from Young Justice. There I got the impression he's just an immortal person and that's it. No Mystical background or anything.
[YT]qxMQplkscNA[/YT]

This episode was a lot of fun. However the following annoyed me.

So Vandal (who at the start of this episode nobody knew) goes to attack Kendra. Barry saves them, revealing his identity to someone almost immediately, not only that but then introduces her to Team Arrow and their respective identities immediately. It was forced. Again, she was being attacked by a stranger basically and your first instinct is to reveal you and your allies secret identities and move her into your allies secret lair? Bogus.

What happened to Oliver after Darhk nearly killed him? Flash pulls him outside and Oliver is fine, yet Diggle is the one throwing up, no sign of pain even though Darhk nearly killed him. Okay, totally normal.

What's the point of these lairs nowadays on both shows? Malcolm brings a whole freaking group of the league into the Arrow lair and no one notices? Why is that the case on both shows. Same can be said about the Flash lair in the past and even in this episode with Patty.

And lets talk about that ending. What kind of crap is that? Seriously. The most random place to consistently put in Oliver's baby mama scenes are in these crossover episodes. And worst of all it's not like they are building up to anything comicbooky, this kid isn't even Connor Hawke according to the writers. So why place it here? Why (according to the promos leaked) make it Barry's business too. Strongly disliked that. The episode was a lot of fun and they choose to end on that note? How does that make any sense.

Also, Barry. Grow up. You're literally telling strangers now that you're the Flash I think it's about time Patty was told about it. Come on man.

The ep fully embraced the craziness of a comic book crossover and crammed a lot in! :woot:

I thought they did a great job of establishing Vandal Savage as a force and the actor has a real presence about him, and the Hawks full debut was well done, getting them in place for LoT.

The banter and interactions between the two teams was a lot of fun, Barry's response to Malcolm's second appearance, Ollie and Felicity's exchange during the fight with the Ghosts, Thea's reaction to realizing they know The Flash, Cisco's one liners and exchanges with Felicity. :D

The action was also on point, the magnetic arrow against the Ghosts was neat, the fight between Vandal, Ollie, Barry and Thea at Ollie and Felicity's apartment was great, as was the Flash/Arrow vs. Hawkman sequence.

On the STAR Labs side of things it was cool seeing Caitlin and Harry progressing things together on the Zoom front, but that place is even less secure than the Arrow base, Patty is going to have to be in on things soon.

Looking forward to part 2.

The Arrow lair in season 4 is a completely different location than the one in the past seasons. So how did Malcolm know where it is?

Last edited:
The Arrow lair in season 4 is a completely different location than the one in the past seasons. So how did Malcolm now where it is?

I guess once you know the secret identities of the entire Arrow team, it's not hard to narrow down the secret location, by simply having someone constantly follow them. I'm still surprised that Darhk doesn't know that Laurel is Buckles, since she's being shadowed.

Seems pretty accurate to me so far outside of being tied to Hawkman and Hawkgirl

[YT]qxMQplkscNA[/YT]

I'll be disappointed if they don't have the meteorite origin. I guess I don't mind giving him some extra abilities, since he would have probably picked up some useful tricks over the centuries.

And lets talk about that ending. What kind of crap is that? Seriously. The most random place to consistently put in Oliver's baby mama scenes are in these crossover episodes. And worst of all it's not like they are building up to anything comicbooky, this kid isn't even Connor Hawke according to the writers. So why place it here? Why (according to the promos leaked) make it Barry's business too. Strongly disliked that. The episode was a lot of fun and they choose to end on that note? How does that make any sense.

May be the person who died in the end of the first episode is either the child or the mother and they needed to explain Barry's presence in that funeral scene. So may be Oliver and the woman meet up at Barry's behest again ("You should talk to her" or something like that) and so he is tangentially invested when she/ he passes away?

Purely speculation on my part.

I actually thought that Harrison Wells of Earth 2 was going to become a speedster for a while.
I mean, they produced a serum to increase production of oxygene to increase speed. Then Harrison got shot and caitlin said his oxygene levels were too low. I really expected them to try to save his life by using the oxygene producing serum on him.

Also, starting to get a bit annoyed about Jay. He just seems to be a big pessimist and don't want to try or do anything, not even trying to get his speedforce back.
I want to see some nice speedster team-up with barry.

Last edited:
I didn't really like this episode. I think this may be my least favorite Flash episode of both seasons. I dunno, there was just too much going on, and it all felt a bit contrived.

Eh, wasn't really impressed with this one. Just want to get back to the Zoom stuff instead of setting up other shows, really.

Yeah, wasn't feeling this episode much. Kind of meh.

Really fun crossover. I always love the interactions between Team Flash and Team Arrow. Also, I liked how they handled Kendra and how they introduced her as Hawkgirl, along with introducing Hawkman as well, and the whole mythology/history behind the two Hawks. And I loved Vandal Savage. I had always wanted to see him in live action, and he was very menacing here, especially in his first scene.

It looks like Joe and Barry are going to have to let Patty in on the secret now. After what she saw at Star Labs, Patty is going to have LOTS of questions, and there's no way that she'll settle for anything less than the full truth. After that incident with the accidental shooting of Wells, it should be obvious now that keeping Patty in the dark will do much more harm than good.

I guess once you know the secret identities of the entire Arrow team, it's not hard to narrow down the secret location, by simply having someone constantly follow them. I'm still surprised that Darhk doesn't know that Laurel is Buckles, since she's being shadowed.

Huh. I never thought of that.

Ya, it was basically a note to Flash viewers that don't watch Arrow

"Arrow deals with mysticism and magic now"

Just didn't need it. Would have been better off just go with the simple "they can help".

Minor nitpick but I think the chronology/pacing would've worked much better if Team Flash found the old (1970s) photo of Vandal Savage, concluded that he was an immortal, and then decide to enlist the help of Team Arrow, with the rationale being Oliver has experience dealing with - and is the only guy Barry knows who has managed to defeat - immortals.

The Arrow lair in season 4 is a completely different location than the one in the past seasons. So how did Malcolm know where it is?

When a character is needed to deliver important verbal exposition, that character will find a way to be at the right place to deliver that exposition, one way or another.

Anyone else think it was hilarious that Patty could force her way in when it was made clear to us earlier in the season that STAR Labs's security had been beefed up precisely to prevent such occurrences? Way to be lazy, writers.

So Barry, Joe, how's that whole "keeping Patty in the dark" going for you? Not well it would seem.

About as well as keeping Iris in the dark worked out. I can't believe they'e doing it again, especially when Patty is even more well-equipped to handle the truth. At any rate, Wells's secret is out so she'll have to be told now.

Not much to Vandal yet, maybe in part two.

Some nice chemistry with this group. I like the "cool" Hawkman and how he delivered their origin exposition, like he was almost bored with it. Nice effects for the Hawks. It was cool to see the speed formula make a appearance.

Not sure about this. I hate how Barry seems to turn into a candyass whenever Oliver is around. It's like he's constantly forgetting that he has superspeed.

Anyway, is it just me, or does the guy playing Jay Garrick look more like he could be John Wesley Shipp's son than Grant Gustin? Almost makes me wonder if he's actually Zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"