The Gambit/Remy Lebeau Thread

Reaction score
Gambit has only appeared once in a Marvel movie and its been more than a decade since X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Do you want to see Gambit from the get go or how many sequels/spin offs should we wait before his eXciting appearance?

Who should be the MCU Gambit?

Last edited:
Anybody but Channing Tatum, lol. :p

Since Black Superman probably won't happen, Eli Goree. Can he do a Cajun accent. Who knows?

Austin Butler
5DpVQhC0_400x400-1.jpg

f042a10c-d908-4ad0-9f84-32b36aed7eb4-Austin_as_Elvis_4.jpg

I watched that whole Elvis movie and still could not comment at all on Butler's acting

Think he had like 5 lines lol

Hope we 'll have Gambit/Rogue relation in MCU
It would be great. My idea is that Gambit accepted to be x-man for years because of Rogue being in the team.

I hope he's there from the start. I cannot wait for whats in the cards for him in the MCU.

I'd expect him by the second film. He's a bit of a wild card and could be interesting to see part of his background in a show before he gatecrashes the sequel.

His debut shouldn't take a long time, given how underused he was by 20th Century FoX.

KByyyyyeeeee!

But seriously, I would like for Gambit to stay white and Cajun. I don't want to see him turned into a stereotypical criminally minded, sexualized black man trope. Just like I don't want Rogue to be the "strong black/Latina woman".

As far as his introduction, I would LOVE for Gambit to be introduced in a DIsney+ series before transitioning into the movies. The series would set up the Guilds and his life before exile. And when he does appear in the movies, he shouldn't make his first appearance in an X-Men movie. It should be as a thief-for-hire somewhere else. He needs to be established as a master thief with grey morals before he ever joins the X-Men.

I never really got the hate for Tatum as Gambit.

But seriously, I would like for Gambit to stay white and Cajun. I don't want to see him turned into a stereotypical criminally minded, sexualized black man trope. Just like I don't want Rogue to be the "strong black/Latina woman".

So long as they’re fully fleshed out characters then I don’t see any issues with tropes.

I never really got the hate for Tatum as Gambit.
Well, for one thing, it's because he's built like a linebacker and is just not very graceful looking. I would never buy Channing Tatum as a professional master thief. He just doesn't look like Gambit at all. And unlike Joker, he does not have tons of makeup to hide that under. I also think (based on his past comments) that his Gambit would have been a very surface-level one. He would have played him the way he plays all his other goofy/charming characters. Frankly, I don't think he has the range. I have never been impressed by his acting despite the Hollywood machine trying to convince us that we should be. It doesn't help that whenever you have conversations about Channing Tatum playing Gambit, the argument in favour is almost never that he would be the best person for the job. It is always that "He really wants to play him." Like so what?! Please. But that's just my opinion on the subject. Which is why I am so against this.

So long as they’re fully fleshed out characters then I don’t see any issues with tropes.
I do. Because tropes are harmful to the communities that they are consistently being used on. The strong black woman stereotype is consistently used to dehumanize black women and treat them as though their pain matters less than everyone else's. It's why black women are more likely to die giving birth. The criminal, hypersexualized black man trope is used as justification every day to kill and harm black men everywhere. These are tired, harmful tropes that have been shoved down our throats for generations and no amount of "fleshing out" will make me ever care to see them in X-Men.

Furthermore, I find it strange that I don't see the same push to make other characters black. Why, for example, isn't there a similar push to make Jean and Cyclops black? What is so inherently black about Rogue and Gambit? Is it that we are just subconsciously more comfortable with the idea of the black couple being the slick criminal and the sassy/rude/angry woman who are in a toxic, dramatic relationship than with them being the responsible leader and the smart, beautiful and caring woman in a normal, stable relationship because of media conditioning? I personally think so to some extent.

Last edited:
Well, for one thing, it's because he's built like a linebacker and is just not very graceful looking. I would never buy Channing Tatum as a professional master thief. He just doesn't look like Gambit at all. And unlike Joker, he does not have tons of makeup to hide that under. I also think (based on his past comments) that his Gambit would have been a very surface-level one. He would have played him the way he plays all his other goofy/charming characters. Frankly, I don't think he has the range. I have never been impressed by his acting despite the Hollywood machine trying to convince us that we should be. It doesn't help that whenever you have conversations about Channing Tatum playing Gambit, the argument in favour is almost never that he would be the best person for the job. It is always that "He really wants to play him." Like so what?! Please. But that's just my opinion on the subject. Which is why I am so against this.

I guess I just assumed he’d adjust his physique. As far as his acting, I like some stuff and dislike others. Feel like he just needs the right director. But I tend to be wait and see with any actor/filmmaker.

I do. Because tropes are harmful to the communities that they are consistently being used on. The strong black woman stereotype is consistently used to dehumanize black women and treat them as though their pain matters less than everyone else's. It's why black women are more likely to die giving birth. The criminal, hypersexualized black man trope is used as justification every day to kill and harm black men everywhere. These are tired, harmful tropes that have been shoved down our throats for generations and no amount of "fleshing out" will make me ever care to see them in X-Men.

I’m aware of how tropes work against the black community. Combatting that doesn’t have to mean never having black people play roles like that. It can also mean crafting characteristics around those roles so that black actors can embody a full person, casting black actors in other roles within that same project that run counter to that characterization, and putting black talent behind the camera in meaningful positions.

Furthermore, I find it strange that I don't see the same push to make other characters black. Why, for example, isn't there a similar push to make Jean and Cyclops black? What is so inherently black about Rogue and Gambit? Is it that we are just subconsciously more comfortable with the idea of the black couple being the slick criminal and the sassy/rude/angry woman who are in a toxic, dramatic relationship than with them being the responsible leader and the smart, beautiful and caring woman in a normal, stable relationship because of media conditioning? I personally think so to some extent.

I’ve seen a lot of black fan casts for those characters. Regé-Jean Page and John Boyega have come up a lot for Scott. And Leslie Grace has been popping up a lot for Jean. I don’t know if it’s as consistent as with Gambit and Rogue though.

But you are also talking to someone who barely fan casts any white people for X-Men at all. So there’s that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"