The Green Lantern Box Office Prediction Thread

I think Sarsgaard and Strong'll both be great. I just hope there isn't some kind of Strong backlash - he's basically playing the villain in every movie ever :hehe:

^ I have a feeling that they will be 2 of the best villains in comic book movie history. :yay:

you better be kidding because if you haven't seen any of Akira Kurosawa's films, then shame on you! I don't care if it's distracting or not, it'll freakin' amaze you. It changed my take on foreign films when I was in college. :)

I'll live.

Last edited:
I think Sarsgaard and Strong'll both be great. I just hope there isn't some kind of Strong backlash - he's basically playing the villain in every movie ever :hehe:

I doubt it only because he's pretty unrecognizable in a lot of his films. Wigs do wonders. along with purple make up and a John Waters mustache.

you probably haven't even seen your country's most prized film: MAD MAX! hoy hoy hoy

Of course I've seen Mad Max. All three of 'em. I ****in' love 'em. :woot:

My country's most prized film is 'Gallipoli'. Have you seen that? :yay:

Last edited:
i dont have any issues with any of the cast for gl. i think they picked some great folks and i hope they will do the characters well. as for subtitled films yea i tend to not like them myself too. But i have seen a few.

I'm thinking it will be: Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern

in that order. Cap is easily the biggest name of the three, but HP will put a dent in it's box office.

I can't see how any comic book fan would want a movie to bomb just because they're DC or Marvel biased...if GL is successful, Marvel is more likely to do a Silver Surfer/ Nova type movie. If Thor is successful, WB might see that certain hurdles can be overcome, and finally do a WW film.

Captain America is not a bigger name than GL and Thor. I'd say that they're on the same level.

Even though I'm looking forward to Cap, I honestly believe that it will not be bigger than GL or Thor.

well for me i just want all the films thor/cap/gl to do well enough for the studios. At least 200-400mill total run box office figure for domestic, and then at least an addition 150-250mill internationally. Which would put them all at or around 500-700mill totals which i think the studios would be happy with.

Of course I've seen Mad Max. All three of 'em. I ****in' love 'em. :woot:

My country's most prized film is 'Gallipoli'. Have you seen that? :yay:

Yeah, but in America, they renamed Gallipoli to 'Kangaroo Jack'. (evil laugh)

Captain America is not a bigger name than GL and Thor. I'd say that they're on the same level.

Even though I'm looking forward to Cap, I honestly believe that it will not be bigger than GL or Thor.

I don't know what you've seen, but when Hal Jordan was killed in the 90s it wasn't covered by every single media outlet in the nation. Same with when Thor died in the early 00s.

Captain America headlined the media on the day he died. It was a huge story, on the level of Superman's death. It was a big event. People like to downplay Cap's fame level, because of their negative connations of the character, but other than Superman, Batman, Spidey, Iron Man, and Wolverine, I'd say he's as well known as ANY comic character...he's on level of WW and Hulk...not GL and Thor.

He's NOT a B-lister.

I hope all of next summer's superhero films do great business, but they're all tough to predict. I can't see any of them being outright flops, but I can see any or all of them delivering anywhere from great numbers to disappointing, middling numbers. At least one of them is bound to underperform just based on the law of averages.

Thor has the best release date. The first weekend of May kicks off the summer movie season and usually yields a hit. The following weekend also currently has little competition. On the other hand, Kenneth Branagh fell flat on his face when he turned his hand to big budget fantasy filmmaking with Frankenstein and the first weekend of May yielded only middling numbers (relative to its budget) for Van Helsing. I think Thor will do at least Hulk-level numbers, but it'll need to push well beyond that to be a bona fide hit.

X-Men: First Class has the benefit of being part of a popular established franchise, although whether franchise fatigue will start to set in with audiences remains to be seen. All of the X-Men films have been very frontloaded in their box office and this'll likely be no different, so a big opening is key.

Green Lantern has the benefit of an increasingly popular name star in the lead and its sci-fi elements and FX are well-positioned to draw moviegoers to 3D theaters. It has a pretty good release date. Fast Five, opening the weekend before it, will likely open big and then drop off fast. It'll have to deal with quite substantial competition, though, from Cars 2 and Rise of the Apes the weekend after its release.

Captain America: The First Avenger has the toughest release date of the four films. Moviegoers may have had their fill of superheroes by late July and there will have been an awful lot of big FX blockbusters released by that point. Moreover, it's being released a week after the behemoth of the final Harry Potter film and a week before Cowboys & Aliens, so competition is going to be intense.

Worldwide I'd guess low 400s. Maybe even high 300s. Respectable for a superhero debutant but not massive.

Opening weekend at the least around $70 million. The most would be $90 million or so. It could make IM numbers if this is done right. WB has always had a great track record of marketing a film. And we've all heard how they're putting alot of stock into making this a success. So I expect amazing marketing.

I'm leaning towards Star Trek numbers.

Guys, if you have been reading the news the clues are already in place. First of all, this film is being produced by Warner Brothers and DC Entertainment. The WB very rarely finance a project on their own. Their MO is to co-finance their projects to lower their risk. Only cash cow films like the Harry Potter series are solely financed by the WB. Another clue is that reports out of the producers have compared this film to "Iron Man" and "Harry Potter" and the fact that they plan to make it eclipse the revenue that the latter franchise (the highest grossing franchise in history, BTW) in the long run. In conclusion, this picture should make "Iron Man" or "Harry Potter" numbers at worst.

People like to downplay Cap's fame level, because of their negative connations of the character, but other than Superman, Batman, Spidey, Iron Man, and Wolverine, I'd say he's as well known as ANY comic character...

He's NOT a B-lister.
I think it's just Superman, Batman and Spider-man and then overybody else.

Just to let you guys know, when I went to Barnes and Noble to by the latest issue of EW I saw a 6-year-old kid grab a copy off the shelf to peruse the magazine. Of, course I had to tell him what page the article and pictures were on, but he recognized that it was Green Lantern on the cover. I have been wearing my GL t-shirt every Saturday and every once in a while I get a comment on the shirt and people say "that's Green Lanter, right?" I say this justt to let you know that GL does have about as much or more recognition amonst all demographics a Captain America.

GL will make more money than both Cap and Thor. As I have said before.....Caps' international and overseas BO #'s will not be good.

GL Domestic BO opening weekend take prediction:

80-85 Million!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"