The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Gwen Thread

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
No, this title is NOT a spoiler since this thread was originally started last summer.

For some reason, the Part 3 of this thread disappeared, so all of the discussion about that scene has gone away. I've sent three emails to moderators asking them to fix the dead link from the Part 2 Thread, but since I haven't seen it resolved I figured I'd start a new one with the identical thread name so we can continue our discussion.

Oh, for those who can't figure it out, there is likely to be spoilers in this thread!

Here is a link to the Part 2 Continuation Thread:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=473367

Last edited:
With that being said...

Would the scene have been better if it was at a bridge, or was the confined space of the clock tower the best choice?

Man, that scene could not have been done better imo, it wrecked me.

So she actually bites the dust in this one?

(in my Florida Evans voice) Damn damn DAMMMMN!

With that being said...

Would the scene have been better if it was at a bridge, or was the confined space of the clock tower the best choice?

I think having the death occur at the clock tower was the best choice. It really gave off a claustrophobic and ominous feeling as if it was inevitable that gwen stacy will die as a result of peter's heroics. Having it at the clock tower also afforded an intimate last few moments between the two.

The title of this thread is a BIG spoiler for people that may be visiting the boards for the first time, or are not spider man comic readers.

Watching Peter holding/protecting her almost the entire fight got me nervously,tense.

Watching Peter holding/protecting her almost the entire fight got me nervously,tense.
Exactly how I felt! Watching that scene I morphed into Peter in a way, as he tried I felt myself trying with him if that makes any sense (it does in my head :csad: )

The title of this thread is a BIG spoiler for people that may be visiting the boards for the first time, or are not spider man comic readers.

If it is it's just happenstance.

You need to understand that I created this thread almost a year ago when I was arguing that Gwen was going to die at the end of TASM2.

So many argued against my conclusion.

So over the course of the past year I brought in new pieces of evidence as they became available and used plot logic for why it made sense.

Yes, here we are, almost a year later and what I concluded has come to pass, but that doesn't make the title a spoiler since again, that title was created almost a year before any of us knew if it would, or would not happen!

If it is it's just happenstance.

You need to understand that I created this thread almost a year ago when I was arguing that Gwen was going to die at the end of TASM2.

So many argued against my conclusion.

So over the course of the past year I brought in new pieces of evidence as they became available and used plot logic for why it made sense.

Yes, here we are, almost a year later and what I concluded has come to pass, but that doesn't make the title a spoiler since again, that title was created almost a year before any of us knew if it would, or would not happen!

True the topic is a year old, but considering there maybe users trying to avoid spoilers and are visiting the boards for the first time, since the movie is almost out in the U.S this could be a major spoiler for them. It doesn't bother me personally as I am a spidey comic reader and knew Gwen was gonna die as it was basically spelled out for you at the end of to first movie lol.

I was one of the people who thought she might survive this one. Mostly because Emma said she was contracted for three movies and I also thought it'd be nice to have her meet MJ and for the 'core four' to meet up, Peter, Harry, Gwen and MJ. Like they used to in the comics.

I guess Emma is still contracted for three movies though, so she'll either appear in flashback, a clone, or even a hallucination. I think a hallucination would be great in my opinion. Perhaps Mysterio is there and messes with Pete's head thinking she's back again.

She has to, I miss her already. My heart has never beaten so fast in a movie than during that scene, I kept hoping it wouldn't happen somehow, kind of felt like Peter yeah.

That was such a great scene. Really enjoyed the close combat fight and then the result of it all. In my opinion it was a better environment than the comic.

a lot of guys here should watch this

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...The-Amazing-Spider-Man-The-Gwen-Stacy-Paradox

it makes some great points about gwens character or lack of depending on your view. and how over history she has basically become only about one note

Definitely some interesting points with historical context. I think Gwen had personality, but IMO her tragic death definitely elevated the character to instant iconography and often times, people view the character and the relationship through rose-tinted glasses because of it.

Thanks for posting.

I thought Gwen had a lot of personality when Ditko was writing her. The problem was that when Stan decided she was the one, they ironed out all that was interesting about her.

Ditko's Gwen was almost an entirely different character. She was a vixen.

I was one of the people who thought she might survive this one. Mostly because Emma said she was contracted for three movies and I also thought it'd be nice to have her meet MJ and for the 'core four' to meet up, Peter, Harry, Gwen and MJ. Like they used to in the comics.

I guess Emma is still contracted for three movies though, so she'll either appear in flashback, a clone, or even a hallucination. I think a hallucination would be great in my opinion. Perhaps Mysterio is there and messes with Pete's head thinking she's back again.

^ I agree. Would love to see Mysterio messing with Peter through gas or holograms.

Mysterio is a fan favorite and there is speculation that he'll be in the Six. So unless they will just use Emma in some nightmare scenes, using her in a way where the baddies use her image against Peter really makes sense.

Was Gwen's death scene too brutal for this audience?

I loved the scene itself in the way it played out, but if there's anything that bogged it down a little it's the CGI. I mean, it's truly a shame that after getting the execution of this... "execution" so right, they didn't invest more in the CGI or that they just didn't shoot it more practically (if that's possible, I'm not in the movie business so I don't always know when stuff just cannot be done practically). Still, aside of Gwen who of course wasn't a CG model, the fall to her death looked fake, both the surroundings and especially the flying cogs

and this comes from a guy who loved the movie

God, I dislike Movie Bob. He brings up some great points sometimes and can be very interesting to hear, but he ain't all that like he thinks he is.

He says in TASM1 guilt isn't what motivates Peter to become Spider-Man like it did in the comics...YES IT IS, it's just not what makes him put in the suit first and foremost.

He puts it on out of selfish reasons at first but it takes the talk with Captain Stacy at dinner to make Peter see his selfishness and make HIM FEEL GUILTY that he changes his ways.

Hell, the first Raimi film has Peter act out of selfishness and revenge too!

Oh, and the scene this thread is dedicated to hit me right in the epicenter of my feels.

I knew it was coming, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks. That final fight had me on the edge of my seat, dreading what was going to happen. It really works too. It doesn't feel phony, or cheap or obligatory. It's straight up tragic and elevates this film to the most emotionally touching superhero film I've ever seen-and not just for this scene, but all the other heartfelt moments.

Would the movie have been better if it had ended right after Gwen's death, or maybe after a quick shot of Peter at her grave, or did the whole seasonal thing work?

Yeah...you can get technical about the date you created the thread all you want or wax political about what should or shouldn't be known as a comics fan...but the title of this thread is very clearly a spoiler for this film. Not sure why it's allowed when there is a STICKY saying otherwise.

I mean even if you spoil it for one person, that's enough. Is it worth that for you to have a clever thread title?

Last edited:
^ No, it's not.

I used this example several times in the old Part 3 thread, but this is no different than Michael Socha being completely upfront and transparent about his character in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - The Knave of Hearts - being named Will Scarlett (as in the character from the Robin Hood legends).

Marc Webb, Emma Stone, and Co. made no effort whatsoever to keep anything surrounding Gwen's death a secret.... ergo nothing about her death is in any way spoilery.

Well at the time when he made this thread it wasn't a spoiler. But I do think there should of been a question mark at the end of the thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"