The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Gwen Thread

^ No, it's not.

I used this example several times in the old Part 3 thread, but this is no different than Michael Socha being completely upfront and transparent about his character in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - The Knave of Hearts - being named Will Scarlett (as in the character from the Robin Hood legends).

Marc Webb, Emma Stone, and Co. made no effort whatsoever to keep anything surrounding Gwen's death a secret.... ergo nothing about her death is in any way spoilery.

You're stretching and getting far too technical. Of course it's a spoiler. The character dies in the movie. The thread title tells everyone she dies, regardless of when it was created or what the intent was at that time. It's plain as day.

Just because the director mentions in some obscure, web-only featurette about the death, you can't just put it in a thread title like it's common knowledge to the world, because it simply isn't.

You're stretching and getting far too technical. Of course it's a spoiler.

No, it's not.

The character dies in the movie.

The fact that Gwen was likely going to die in the movie was never kept secret.

The thread title tells everyone she dies, regardless of when it was created or what the intent was at that time. It's plain as day.

You can't spoil something that was never kept secret, and Gwen's death was never kept secret.

Just because the director mentions in some obscure, web-only featurette about the death, you can't just put it in a thread title like it's common knowledge to the world, because it simply isn't.

Trailers and public interviews with major publications would be common knowledge, though, and it is from those sources that the majority of Webb and Emma's comments concerning Gwen's fate in this film originated.

No, it's not.

The fact that Gwen was likely going to die in the movie was never kept secret.

You can't spoil something that was never kept secret, and Gwen's death was never kept secret.

Trailers and public interviews with major publications would be common knowledge, though, and it is from those sources that the majority of Webb and Emma's comments concerning Gwen's fate in this film originated.

Please, define "never kept a secret". Because you are acting as if from day one Emma Stone was on Leno saying "I die in this movie." That didn't happen to my knowledge, and just because it was 'likely' doesn't mean it should just be told to everyone that it happens. Anything that happens in an unseen film is a secret.

I mean it was likely that Rachel Dawes was going to bite it in The Dark Knight, but were you around defending any thread's with her death in the title?

And please, show me the trailer that shows Gwen dead.

Please, define "never kept a secret". Because you are acting as if from day one Emma Stone was on Leno saying "I die in this movie." That didn't happen to my knowledge, and just because it was 'likely' doesn't mean it should just be told to everyone that it happens. Anything that happens in an unseen film is a secret.

I mean it was likely that Rachel Dawes was going to bite it in The Dark Knight, but were you around defending any thread's with her death in the title?

And please, show me the trailer that shows Gwen dead.

Back before TASM1 was released, Emma Stone and Marc Webb both made it publicly known - repeatedly - that they wanted to eventually adapt The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and even as production ramped up on TASM2, they continued to talk about the character's fate as if it were fait accompli.

Emma even went so far as to tacitly discuss wanting to remain true to the comic and how the character's death had been handled therein (this was in June of last year).

She also conducted interviews in January and March of this year in which she hinted at Gwen's death happening.

Furthermore, she matter-of-factly said the following in True Film's Trailer Analysis for the very first trailer for the film:
She is potentially going to Oxford and she graduates as valedictorian, so clearly she still has her wits about her to be working really hard at what she wants in life

That's not even counting the fact that they built several pieces of marketing - including the Super Bowl spot - around showing Emma Stone (wearing the iconic green jacket that Gwen was wearing in The Night Gwen Stacy Died comic story) in danger, including several minutes of footage showing her in the exact environment and circumstances under which her character's death occurs in the film.

Would you call the fact that Pete fights Harry Osborn (in Goblin form) in a clock tower a spoiler? Because, like Gwen's death, this was never something they tried to keep secret (especially not once the marketing for the film started in full force).

Back before TASM1 was released, Emma Stone and Marc Webb both made it publicly known - repeatedly - that they wanted to eventually adapt The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and even as production ramped up on TASM2, they continued to talk about the character's fate as if it were fait accompli.

Emma even went so far as to tacitly discuss wanting to remain true to the comic and how the character's death had been handled therein (this was in June of last year).

She also conducted interviews in January and March of this year in which she hinted at Gwen's death happening.

Furthermore, she matter-of-factly said the following in True Film's Trailer Analysis for the very first trailer for the film:

That's not even counting the fact that they built several pieces of marketing - including the Super Bowl spot - around showing Emma Stone (wearing the iconic green jacket that Gwen was wearing in The Night Gwen Stacy Died comic story) in danger, including several minutes of footage showing her in the exact environment and circumstances under which her character's death occurs in the film.

Would you call the fact that Pete fights Harry Osborn (in Goblin form) in a clock tower a spoiler? Because, like Gwen's death, this was never something they tried to keep secret (especially not once the marketing for the film started in full force).

These are empty arguments. Hinting is 100% not the same as coming out and saying it happens. The trailer shows the fight at the clock tower. It doesn't show her dead body. You really don't see the distinction?

Please, imagine for a second you don't know anything about the film and put yourself in the situation. You don't know she dies, stumble into the forum, and you see this thread title. You now know the film's ending, and did not know it before.

Would you want some guy defending it, saying that you should have known a few obscure interviews existed on the internet where they talk about the death? Like those interviews are required reading or something? Or would you be angry that some irresponsible person posted the film's ending, and backed it up saying "well I created this thread last year." The context doesn't matter, those five words say it all. It was speculation then, and it is fact now. The thread title should be changed. No one gains anything by it remaining as is, and if changed, it could potentially avoid ruining the film for several people.

i think (like i said many times) Sony´s marketing is TERRIBLE at hidding surprises, i think if they kept that, the goblin and rhino and focus on showing Aleksei(not in rhino form)and Electro only many people would´ve been surprised in the film

i think (like i said many times) Sony´s marketing is TERRIBLE at hidding surprises, i think if they kept that, the goblin and rhino and focus on showing Aleksei(not in rhino form)and Electro only many people would´ve been surprised in the film

Of course they are. I mean that shot of Garfield mask off, screaming and crying isn't even in the damn movie. So they effectively made it plain as day what would happen, then left it out of the movie. What other conclusion could one draw seeing that scene in the trailer? Then to leave it out? Completely backwards.

Me and every person in my theater didn't give a ***** when Gwen died. It should have been one of the most emotional moments in CBM history, but they butchered it and executed it so poorly.

Some things you should do exactly as in the comics.

Some things you shouldn't.

This was something that should have been done exactly as it was in the comics.

Doing it at the bridge would have been right. But what they really missed out on was getting rid of the Goblin before it happened.

What would have been absolutely epic would have been having Peter/Garfield not just sad, but ANGRY. Have him vow to kill the Goblin and make him beg for mercy as he did in the comics when it happened. For years when I visualized this happening on-screen and I got goosebumps, then this would have lead to an epic fight scene between Spider-Man and the Goblin. The fight scene afterwards would have been much more dramatic and meaningful than it was in the actual movie.

But no, they just had him cry and whine.....

It came off as extremely anti-climatic and a waste of potential.

They had one chance to do Gwen's death right on screen and they blew it. They completely blew it.

Seriously, I want you to visualize Garfield doing this part and see if you don't get goosebumps....

night-gwen-stacy-died.jpg

These are empty arguments. Hinting is 100% not the same as coming out and saying it happens. The trailer shows the fight at the clock tower. It doesn't show her dead body. You really don't see the distinction?

Please, imagine for a second you don't know anything about the film and put yourself in the situation. You don't know she dies, stumble into the forum, and you see this thread title. You now know the film's ending, and did not know it before.

Would you want some guy defending it, saying that you should have known a few obscure interviews existed on the internet where they talk about the death? Like those interviews are required reading or something? Or would you be angry that some irresponsible person posted the film's ending, and backed it up saying "well I created this thread last year." The context doesn't matter, those five words say it all. It was speculation then, and it is fact now. The thread title should be changed. No one gains anything by it remaining as is, and if changed, it could potentially avoid ruining the film for several people.

Yea don't mind DigificWriter, he's borderline troll and cannot understand simple concepts such as empathy.

no use arguing with him. He's 100% wrong. everyone knows he's wrong. Its a spoiler. Thats all there is to it lol.

Me and every person in my theater didn't give a ***** when Gwen died. It should have been one of the most emotional moments in CBM history, but they butchered it and executed it so poorly.

Doing it at the bridge would have been right. But what they really missed out on was getting rid of the Goblin before it happened.

What would have been absolutely epic would have been having Peter/Garfield not just sad, but ANGRY. Have him vow to kill the Goblin and make him beg for mercy as he did in the comics when it happened. For years when I visualized this happening on-screen and I got goosebumps, then this would have lead to an epic fight scene between Spider-Man and the Goblin. The fight scene afterwards would have been much more dramatic and meaningful than it was in the actual movie.

They had one chance to do Gwen's death right on screen and they blew it. They completely blew it.

Seriously, I want you to visualize Garfield doing this part and see if you don't get goosebumps....

:doh::doh::doh:

I doubt your entire theater didn't cared.. what are you guys? Aliens?nazis?

:doh::doh::doh:

I doubt your entire theater didn't cared.. what are you guys? Aliens?nazis?

There wasn't one teary eye.

Again, why should we have cried? The movie gives us a "serious" moment, then two seconds later they give us Paul Giamatti spewing dialogue that sounds written by a six-year old for a Saturday morning cartoon show, while having him look like a pregnant Transformer with machine guns and a terrible paint job.

How can anybody take it seriously?

There wasn't one teary eye.

Again, why should we have cried? The movie gives us a "serious" moment, then two seconds later they give us Paul Giamatti spewing dialogue that sounds written by a six-year old for a Saturday morning cartoon show, while having him look like a pregnant Transformer with machine guns and a terrible paint job.

How can anybody take it seriously?

To be fair, the film built up toward the ending after Gwen's death and it was an uplifting one at that.

On the contrary, a lot of moms and kids in the audience at my showing gasped; my friend's little brother cried. I even have to admit my eyes were burning.

Actually, it's a testament to Peter's strength that he didn't lash out at Harry for being partially responsible for Gwen's death. I think that's far more interesting than seeing him get angry.

Actually, it's a testament to Peter's strength that he didn't lash out at Harry for being partially responsible for Gwen's death. I think that's far more interesting than seeing him get angry.

I think it's weak, anti-climatic, and a missed opportunity for Garfield to have his shining moment as Spider-Man.

And I also know that if it was Tobey who was doing it everyone would be complaining about him just crying and whining instead of doing anything about it. But, you know, since it's Garfield. Free pass.

I think the whole point of him not lashing out at harry Golbin afterward is because its really setting up the Green Goblin as Peters main nemesis. Thats what it felt like for me anyway. After this, once goblin shows up again.. its going to be a different story.

Theres a level of anticipation there for when peter and harry meet again. it will be an explosion.

saw the movie tonight and I new it was going to happened because I saw a sporlier for it even without that I would have thought it would happened because of the trailers so I would have been supprised if she lived. Even though I new it was going to happened I didn't know the exact time it was going to happened in the fight and even though I new it was going to happened my heart was pounding and when it happened and Garfield was crying I was starting to get teareyed and I could hear a few people sniffer in the theater. What a emotional moment!

The scene is done beautifully, try again Nardz.........

ASM2 has lots of problems, but not Gwen's death. It was done beautifully. Easily the best part of ASM2

I guess we can now say the redhead did go to heaven, just not in 2007.

There's still time for Pete to have the brawl of passion with Harry. But I agree they missed an opportunity. They did put on screen a very powerful moment though especially coupled with him standing at grave/Aunt May sharing how she is moving on. That was good stuff too.

It's a shame that this scene couldn't take place on the bridge since it would look too similar to the ending of Raimi's SM1. I would rather it had occured more like the comic book version. Although I know it was impossible for them to risk with repeating nearly the same scene, I reckon this scenery would make it more dramatic and romantic at the same time. And I wish Peter had returned to Harry, filled with fury after her death, and beaten him unconscious... God, actually I start to hate Raimi's movies even more when I think about how much potential they had and have just stolen it from TASM. Nevertheless, I loved that scene despite some elements I would like to be changed or corrected. It was emotion-packed and convincing so that's probably most important.

Watching Peter holding/protecting her almost the entire fight got me nervously,tense.

Me too. I was ridiculously tense when the webbing was about to snap off as fighting Harry…

And her last words, "Peter." :csad:

So basically you're mad because you didn't get what you want.

That was as close to the comics as we were going to get. And I thought it was quite effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"