The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Gwen Thread

Yeah, someone let out an audible "oh ****" when the moment happened. I knew it was coming but didn't know how they were gonna portray it.

Having just walked out of the theater, it's ridiculous to make the argument that Webb and Co. didn't set Gwen's death on the GWB because they wanted to be different than what the Raimi films did. They set the death where they did - inside a clock tower - because it tied in with the film's theme of time and what we do with the time we have.

I can also unequivocally say that the cause of death was exactly the same as in the comic, only depicted more potently because it happened in virtual silence as far as the film's soundtrack is concerned.

I can easily understand what Nardz937 tries to say because I have similar feelings about this scene and how it should have happened. The only difference is that I like also how it have occured in the movie and I know there was probably no way they could have made it like in the comic books since Raimi's first movie has already pictured it (but with MJ replacing Gwen and without her death). One of my biggest problems remains Harry in the place of Norman and the fact I would prefer Goblin arc to have a more meaningful part and not just being an addition to the main plot.

The scene was great but I think it should have happened at the Brooklyn Bridge. I know it would have been predictable that way but that scene in comics is just so iconic. I have always wanted to see it in a movie.

^ What was or was not done in the Raimi films had ZERO impact on how Gwen's death was depicted here.

I found myself explaining to my non-comic reading friends that Gwen broke her neck.

They were under the impression that her head ricocheted off the ground and she died of a blow to the head.

^ What was or was not done in the Raimi films had ZERO impact on how Gwen's death was depicted here.

And you're probably first to know it since you're one of the filmmakers at Sony, right? I know they had their own vision but you can't pretend that copying Raimi's movements wasn't one of the things they tried to avoid.

Based on the thematic reasons for setting the death in a clock tower, I guarantee you that the decisions that were made in the Raimi films did not even come up in conversation.

Well considering these movies are constantly rated against Rami's movies, I could see critics and fans complaining about another final battle happening on a bridge AKA Spider Man 1.

Also ASM 1 had a bridge scene as well.. So you know people would be knocking it for that.

Theme of this scene could have been easily the result of their will not to kill her off in too similar way. Imagine them having made this scene like in the comics: night, bridge, Goblin throwing Gwen and Spider-Man jumping and trying to save her with his webline. TASM was already accused of being too similar to Raimi's film so TASM2 with almost the same ending would have became another argument for reboot's opponents (and I see there are still lots of them around).

The theme of this film was 'time', and the location of Gwen's death symbolically ties into that. Having it happen on the bridge would've been completely out-of-sync with the movie thematically.

Anyone catch the time on the clock after the fateful conclusion to Gwen's journey with Pete?

It was a nod.

I cried.

They got this ode of the comics RIGHT. :hrt:

I can easily understand what Nardz937 tries to say because I have similar feelings about this scene and how it should have happened. The only difference is that I like also how it have occured in the movie and I know there was probably no way they could have made it like in the comic books since Raimi's first movie has already pictured it (but with MJ
replacing Gwen and without her
death). One of my biggest problems remains Harry in the place of Norman and the fact I would prefer Goblin arc to have a more
meaningful part and not just being
an addition to the main plot.[/
QUOTE]

Technically I think all three of them were responsible. Gwen should have stayed were she was.

I see it mostly as Gwen fault,Peter told her to stay away,it's a fight she couldn't handle,but like Gwen said she makes her own choices.

My theater actually let out a loud and collective "ouch!"
But yeah, terrific scene. Still feels surreal they went there.

This idea that Gwen deserves the blame for her own death is bull-**** as well as borderline offensive and demeaning to the character. Like a mother rushing headlong into danger to protect her children, Gwen knew Pete was going to need her help, even if he tried to protect her by webbing her to a car, and therefore her own safety was secondary.

Now that she died how Spiderman will defeat his enemies? :doh:

"Face it tiger...you just hit the jackpot!"

"I sure did, I need another hot chick to be bait and throw switches while I fight lunatics."

"What?"

"I said damn MJ, you fine girl!"

To me Gwen's death showed that women in comic book movies who make their own decisions get punished because of it.

I thought this was one of the worst scenes in a comic book movie. I don't think that the Death of Gwen Stacy needed to be made into a movie. It was an important comic book storyline at the time it was made, but times have changed.

To me Gwen's death showed that women who make their own decisions get punished because of it.

I thought this was one of the worst scenes in a comic book movie. I don't think that the Death of Gwen Stacy needed to be made into a movie. It was an important comic book storyline at the time it was made, but times have changed.

What?:doh:

She disobeyed Peter and died. What's confusing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"