The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Official Critic Review/Twitter Reaction Thread - NO DISCUSS

Two mixed to positive reviews from unlikely sources:

The film is a narrative disaster, but the character work is mostly solid and the terrific action scenes are worth the price of admission.
Scott Medelson via Forbes

While I feel like I've spent most of this review complaining, the film does work in fits and starts, and I think for many Spider-Man fans, it's going to be easy to focus on what they do like instead of getting hung up on what they don't. It is nice to see Spider-Man onscreen, especially when they get him right and he's the same exact Spider-Man that decades worth of readers have fallen in love with. At its best, the film feels giddy and fun and confident about what it's doing. At its worst, it feels like it was built in a laboratory from the dead parts of other movies. That uneven quality sets me on edge, and I wish I could either like it without reservations or just hate and dismiss it altogether. I'm still interested in seeing this Spider-Man in a great movie.

It's just not this one.

Drew McWeeny rates a B- via HitFix

Sure, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 feels a little bloated, but it makes up for that with some very fun sequences, strong humor, solid performances, and some legitimately emotional developments. Basically, it's a popcorn flick with a whole lot of heart. All in all, I had a really good time with Webb's second Spider-Man movie and I'm definitely excited to see what they'll hit us with next.

A 4/5 review by Gregg Katzman, via Comic Vine

Worth mentioning that the three reviews I have posted now are from RT movie critics.

At the end of the day one must accept that ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2,’ even more than the official films of the superior Marvel Cinematic Universe, is not a complete story. We’re rather inelegantly set-up for the ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 3′ and ‘The Sinister Six’. I just hope Electro comes back because the absurd way they digitized Jaime Foxx’s voice made me giggle each time I heard it.

Jordan Hoffman via Screen Crush rates a 6/10

Where the Raimi/Maguire Spider-Man movies had Peter Parker as sort of perpetually naïve, Webb's stewardship introduces a more complex emotional palette. The grief and recovery in Amazing Spider-Man 2 are what finally justifies the rebooting of Marvel's flagship character. Things happen here that you couldn't have imagined happening in previous versions of a Spider-Man movie. It really feels like the wall-crawler gets his heart broken and this sequel really nails the aspirational idea that Peter Parker is someone who swings upward out of his own trauma.

Positive review from Evan Narcisse via Kotaku

Never a disaster but only fitfully inspired, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 doesn't quite end well, but it does end promisingly, with hints of a huge supervillain team-up to come. The next one probably won't be his greatest battle. It probably won't even be as good as Garfield's scenes without the mask. But at least it will be something new. If the last minutes of this had been what 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man had started with, Movie Spidey might be getting somewhere by now.

Alan Scherstuhl via Village Voice, it seems mixed to positive. He's on RT, of course.

one of his criticism is that spider-man seemed to strong and his webswinging seemed so loose like he was flying

Spidey was gliding not flying, his motion (when not swinging) was always a downward descent. Also, Spidey can lift 10 tons, how much do you think a car weighs? Clue; not 10 tons.

Another rave from a respected movie critic, actually he is one of Top Critics on RT:

There are two types of superhero movies: the ones that brood and the ones that swing.
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2” is proudly the latter, filled with high-energy action. But this fleshed-out sequel also tackles an iconic grown-up moment in comic-book history with nary a hitch.
It helps that star Andrew Garfield is possibly the best actor to ever star in any Marvel Comics-based flick. As anyone who saw him on Broadway in “Death of a Salesman” can attest, the young British actor can effortlessly turn a cocky smirk to a queasy grimace. His great depth hoisted 2012’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” to levels it almost didn’t deserve.

Webb has succeeded in separating his tone and mythos from Sam Raimi’s earlier Spidey films. This franchise’s animal-man baddies begat from weird science done in secret labs is fun, but kids under 7 may find Electro, and the movie’s human toll, a bit scary. (Let’s hope they mimic Peter and Gwen’s love of science, though.)
The cast meets every challenge. DeHaan continues a grand upward trajectory, and Stone is both glamour-girl gorgeous and heartbreakingly normal. Along with Garfield, they’re all as gripping as the epic battles and furious faceoffs that make the movie pop.

Joe Neumaier rates a 4/5, via New York Daily News.

I just feel that some people here are preying upon the positivity around this film and not alowing the excitement that people have for this to breathe.

Regardless, I hope that SHH users like yourself and others who haven't seen the film yet grow a thicker skin and understand that there is clearly a sense of excitement around this film, from the GA and the movie critics alike. There are clearly people that would rather see this film failing, but I don't think that will be the case. Regardless, can't wait for the midnight of May 1st!!

I have to go, my lady is waiting for me. Stay classy, true believers!

[YT]iFXLsbDdDHA[/YT]

The Schmoes Knows reviews are positive.

3.25/5 and 3/6/5.

The latest RT meters don't bode well. I have a feeling the film will be rotten by the end of the week, it certainly won't be certified fresh. Just as Thor TDW, the top critics are tearing this film apart.

My take is that like Spider-man 3, there seems to be too much going on, but unlike Spider-man 3, Garfield and Stone are the inspiration point of the film, unlike Maguire and Dunst who were annoying and uninspired.

The latest RT meters don't bode well. I have a feeling the film will be rotten by the end of the week, it certainly won't be certified fresh. Just as Thor TDW, the top critics are tearing this film apart.

My take is that like Spider-man 3, there seems to be too much going on, but unlike Spider-man 3, Garfield and Stone are the inspiration point of the film, unlike Maguire and Dunst who were annoying and uninspired.

We can't really comment on this page, but I wouldn't say that. It's too soon and a LOT of positive reviews are out and haven't been released yet, while all the negative ones that where released have already been added. Today we've got a rave from Joe Neumaier and he is a top critic. I firmly believe that this will get to land somewhere where IM3 did - high seventies / low eighties.

We can't really comment on this page, but I wouldn't say that. It's too soon and a LOT of positive reviews are out and haven't been released yet, while all the negative ones that where released have already been added. Today we've got a rave from Joe Neumaier and he is a top critic. I firmly believe that this will get to land somewhere where IM3 did - high seventies / low eighties.

Cap TFA is the only movie I can recall that had an upward trend when the reviews came out, and that was somewhat of a odd situation in that there was an embargo until Tuesday or Wednesday before the film was released.

I just don't see that happening for this film when the reviews have been out for a while. I'm sure there are more positive reviews, but realistically it's already gotten 18 negative reviews on RT, and only 65 total reviews. For it to trend upward there has to be a great deal of positive reviews, with few negative reviews to be released.

Realistically I think you're looking at TDW best case scenario and MoS ratings worst case. Again I think the audience is going to love the film more than the critics so I don't think it matters.

Cap TFA is the only movie I can recall that had an upward trend when the reviews came out, and that was somewhat of a odd situation in that there was an embargo until Tuesday or Wednesday before the film was released.

I just don't see that happening for this film when the reviews have been out for a while. I'm sure there are more positive reviews, but realistically it's already gotten 18 negative reviews on RT, and only 65 total reviews. For it to trend upward there has to be a great deal of positive reviews, with few negative reviews to be released.

Realistically I think you're looking at TDW best case scenario and MoS ratings worst case. Again I think the audience is going to love the film more than the critics so I don't think it matters.

Star Trek Into Darkness was at low seventies at some point, it kicked back to high eighties. Fun fact, that film was also written by Orci and Kurtzman.

I heard about that I hope that happens but the more reviews come out and we are around 73% right now with 65 reviews or so the more likely it will finish around 73 or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"