• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Gwen Thread

Am I the only one who thought Gwen's death worked better silent than it would've with sound?

Raimi just understood Spider-Man and the dynamics of these relationships better, at least classic Spider-Man.

He didn't like or understand Venom so when he went that route it wasn't as good.

They could still have a fight in TASM3 if he taunts him about her death?

Also, hopefully the "gobby snaps her neck" scene is in the extras on blueray, sounds like it goes exactly how you described spider-fan

They could still have a fight in TASM3 if he taunts him about her death?

Also, hopefully the "gobby snaps her neck" scene is in the extras on blueray, sounds like it goes exactly how you described spider-fan

Meh, the time is gone. The moment is ruined. Wouldn't be the same.

might not be quite the same but has created tension now for when he dose came back. In the first spider man movies it was harry made at peter now it is the opisute lol.

I would like to see how Andrew Garfield could have handled blind rage, he does blind despondancy incredibly well.

What you say could have worked Narz, but I think what we got was certainly a heartwrencher in it's own right

One such way would be the opening line of the film being; "Gwen who? It's MJ time"

I hope they do it right. Peter shouldn't just forget about Gwen and take a new girlfriend in the next movie. There are many ways they can do this wrong.

I don't think you have to worry about that.

Movies.com: Is this a character who you still want to introduce into the franchise?
Webb: Oh absolutely. The question, of course, is can Peter ever love again? And that will be something that we have to address
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/marc-webb-interview-amazing-spider-man-2/15619

It's pretty clear from that answer, Gwen's absence will be acknowledged.

They have also missed a great opportunity to introduce Gwen's clone in the future since Miles Warren has never appeared in this franchise. Besides, these movies are still pretending to be as grounded as it's possible so in the present form I can't see them taking on such story arc.

I don't know, I do think they made the right choice by having it at the clock tower rather than on the bridge. MJ was thrown off a bridge in SM1, Peter saved a kid in ASM1 on a bridge and it just shows people even more that should may not die by having it be at the clock tower. In previews it seemed pretty much like she would die, although, Mary Jane was saved 3 times in Spider-Man movies, so it could have been like that.

I thought it was well done, I thought the slow motion, the webbing forming a hand and the close-up to her face and all the emotions she felt as she was falling to her death, were all very well done.

I just wonder though, in terms of the overall storyline itself, the reason Gwen was killed in the comics was because 1. Readers were getting tired of Peter and Gwen 2. People preferred Mary Jane. 3. To intensify the rivalry between Peter and the Goblin 4. To let Peter become a more responsible hero.

None of these things were established in this series/ movie. Peter and Gwen seems a great relationship apart from the fact they were almost going to split them up. Mary Jane isn't even there, no rivalry was established after Gwens death and Peter didn't seem particularly more responsible.

So ultimately, it seemed the reason she was killed was to just see a death happen to one of Peter's loved ones. Peter was totally unchanged after her death from what we saw.

And if they are planning on bringing in MJ, how would he be different in his approach to being with her? Wouldn't it equally be just as bad hooking up with Mary Jane if he's Spider-Man? I feel like it was kind of badly utilized.

She'll be his support and be his moral rock throughout 3. I don't see her being as involved with Spidey's work as much as Gwen though. She'll definitely be more of the damsel in distress.

I don't see them "officially" hooking up until the end of 3 though.

I think in the next one mj and peter will be just friends and that people will still be getting over gwen.

@WarriorDreamer

I wouldn't exactly call Peter "unchanged" after her death. It went like 5 months, and the guy was still pretty destroyed.

It's interesting how in both Spider-Man sequels they quit for completely oppisite reasons:

Tobey quit so he can have everything (MJ).

Andrew quit because it cost him everything (Gwen).

I re-watched the save of Spidey 3 with Gwen and noticed that TASM2 mirrors it a bit with one difference [blackout]Gwen is rescued[/blackout]

the webbing forming a hand

I don't remember it forming a hand at all. I think it was just an effect how a webline's end stretches. Something like here when he shoots a webline with his right hand:

Spider-Man-End-Credits.jpg

^ The close-up slow-mo shot of the webbing as it flies down towards Gwen makes the very tip look like a grasping hand.

^ The close-up slow-mo shot of the webbing as it flies down towards Gwen makes the very tip look like a grasping hand.

If that's so, then I don't like this idea. Sounds kinda pompous.

Plus, all that picture shows is that it is possible for the web to go hand-like. Of course it can be shaped sort of hand like all the time, it's not as if his webshooters have a special "hand mode" for when his loved ones are plummeting from high places.

:huh:

I don't think that word (pompous) means what you think it means.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I've used a proper word. :woot: It's possible I could have mistaken. I meant obviously something... well... exaggerated? Something too corny and sentimental.

Damn those pompous spider webs. Running around like they own the joint.

Actually I thought about the scene and this strange idea, not about web itself. :p Sorry for misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"