Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

I can see why last year’s show was skipped if they are not ready to show so much stuff even a year later.

Spidey was the main attraction here. Really liked what we saw from that but besides that the only other thing that might pique my interest is MGS.

Metal Gear Solid Delta is the only new game that I might buy from that presentation. Spider-Man, Assassin's Creed and Street Fighter are in my wishlist for so long, so they aren't *new*.

The accessories. They look cool but I feel like the target market for those are like the massive ps fan boys and tech enthusiasts. Like even if I'm a professional gamer, I don't think I would need a ps earbuds and that Wii U device. In my opinion, Sony should focus more on games and the actual ps hardware.

I can see why last year’s show was skipped if they are not ready to show so much stuff even a year later.
It kinda shows that PlayStation Studios don't really have a big game for neXt year aside from Wolverine. Which isn't really that eXciting.

Well they could announce a new ps studio game later this year when they officially announce the ps5 pro/ps5 with the detachable disc, but that upcoming game would probably be for post 2024. I don't see them announcing an AAA game in late 2023 to come out in 2024, aside from MLB.

Though to be fair to Sony, I don't know the scale of their other ps studios games presented in this state of play but from what I've seen, they all look like Live Service games, especially that game from Haven? It was a quick no for me.

Last edited:
The other thing I would say is that these digital shows might be time and cost efficient, but they don’t feel like a huge event like in the E3 days with live audiences adding a bunch of hype. I continue to miss that - not talking musical interludes and crap like that, just that feeling of having the big annual gaming event where everyone appears over the course of a few days.

I am not sure what happened behind the scenes. These state of plays used to follow the Nintendo Direct format fairly well, so it was able to better hide the disappointment. (Never forget the Farming Direct).

Just ignoring the actual game content, or lack thereof in a lot of cases, the presentation given just sucked.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2023/05/19/sony-boosting-ps5-exclusives-to-attract-players/
The Last of Us Part III
Horizon III
God of War 6
Ghost of TsushIIma
Untitled Bend Studio game
Untitled Bluepoint Games game

Most of those games are still years away, so lets hope there's more!
I wonder if some of those would be announced neXt year? They haven't announced ps5 pro and the other ps5 with the detachable disc drive, so who knows maybe 1 of those games would be announced later this year for early 2025?

Anyway, I didn't have an eXpectation for the State of Play and I didn't even tune it to see the games one by one. All I remembered was the Spider-Man 2 gameplay was gonna be out soon and I forgot it was today until I opened YouTube. I didn't eXpect them to show like 20 games including Ac and Mgs.

From Sony’s financial report, 55% of their game budget is going on this live service crap (rising to 60% 2025) and then some more of the balance on the VR stuff. Feels like Jim Ryan’s corporate robot influence taking over and damaging the artistic side.

Uggh Live services are dying there was a report that came out stating that there has been a sharp decline in Live Services! Come on Ryan listen to the fans and give them what they really want!

Sony is chasing the wrong dream with that. I already don't have a lot of free time to play games and Live Service games are at the absolute bottom of my list. Good thing there is still plenty of back catalogue for me to go through.

i still want a Guitar Hero game to come back.

the animated one, not that dreadful Guitar Hero Live one

Sony really blew its chance to show off their first party line up

Nothing from Naughty Dog
Nothing from Bluepoint game
Nothing from Bend Studio Game
Nothing from Team Asobi game
Nothing from Sony San Diego Studios
Nothing from Sony Santa Monica

Sony is sitting on a gold mine of franchises that they can revive ie Sly Cooper, Spyro, Jak and Daxter, SOCOM, Resistance, Killzone as well as build on what they currently have Ghosts, Horizon, GOW, Uncharted, Spider-Man, LOU, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank,

Nothing from Naughty Dog

Sony is sitting on a gold mine of franchises that they can revive ie Sly Cooper, Spyro, Jak and Daxter, SOCOM, Resistance, Killzone as well as build on what they currently have Ghosts, Horizon, GOW, Uncharted, Spider-Man, LOU, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank,
We aren't going to see anything from Santa Monica and Guerilla for a long time. San Diego releases MLB yearly so nothing too eXciting from them.

The neXt game for Bluepoint and Bend should
be in deep production stage now, so I eXpect their game to be announced neXt. Naughty Dog still has the Last of Us Multiplayer unannounced...

Anyway their announced line up isnt terribly eXciting. After Spider-Man 2, its just Wolverine unless you love MLB. The most eXciting games for ps4 came out few years before the ps5 came out. And we are only in year 3 of the ps5, so I'm guessing those games would be ready in 2026/27/28, when ps6 is about to be announced/announced.

I just want a date for the Naughty Dog multiplayer game so I know when they can get back to single player games I care about. :o

Here's the rundown of upcoming PlayStation Studios games

Insomniac - Spider-Man 2 / Wolverine
Firewalk - Concord
Haven - Fairgame$
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us Multiplayer / new ip
San Diego - The MLB Show 24 (not announced)
London - new ip
Bend - new ip
Bluepoint - new ip
Team Asobi - working on a new game
Housemarque - new ip
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 (not announced)
Guerilla - Horizon III (not official)
Santa Monica - God of War 6 (not official)
Polyphony - supporting GT7 for years
Media Molecule - working on a new game

15 studios under 1 wing. As much as we complain about them, I still find them the best gaming studio out there. All of these games will come out eventually. I think we are just in a phase that things aren't too eXciting yet. I do need a new ip hopefully from Bend and Bluepoint but its a wait and see. I'm not into Returnal/Demons Soul/Ratchet&Clank kind of games so it will depend on the genre and I don't want another horror game. The new Ip from Naughty Dog is a must play then I could see TLOU3 at the end of ps5's run. The other studios will do sequels and I don't think a Housemarque game will appeal to me. Hopefully a MAJOR acquisition is on the way like ActiVision big as they are still on a shopping spree.

Last edited:
From Sony’s financial report, 55% of their game budget is going on this live service crap (rising to 60% 2025) and then some more of the balance on the VR stuff. Feels like Jim Ryan’s corporate robot influence taking over and damaging the artistic side.
I just read the article for that and Sony is making me save money for the future. I feel like they should have went with "if its not broken don't fiX it". But time will tell, ps5 still has 5 1/2 years, til ps6 in 2028. So a lot could change.

Nothing from Naughty Dog

The dev cycles this gen (compounded by Covid delays) are so long for major games outside of Insomniac that it can make it difficult to have enough to show and release every year. You release Horizon and GoW (2 of my favourites) and then 2 of the big studios are not going to have much to show for the next couple of years. Naughty Dog are (for my preferences) wasting so much time on Factions, and we haven’t even seen it yet. Who knows when it’s going to get itself out of the way so they can go back to what they do best. This gen would have been a joke so far without Insomniac outworking everyone else somehow. They’ll have put out 4 games at the rate some studios are putting out 1!

Uggh Live services are dying there was a report that came out stating that there has been a sharp decline in Live Services! Come on Ryan listen to the fans and give them what they really want!
He isn’t the guy for that. Sony shows usually have a bunch of high quality moments and great surprise reveals. When you have a 2 year gap you expect it to be extra special and that they’ve saved up more for it. You can’t allocate so much resources to live service games and expect the same results as before, especially now that dev cycles are so much longer.

PlayStation Will Release '2 or More' Major Exclusives Per Year - PlayStation LifeStyle

I think they probably need more people working in their studios. 2 or "maybe more" major games per year don't sound that good especially if you're like me, that won't pay for a fps, online multiplayer, sports, racing, Soulslike game, a cartoony platform, virtual reality and nightmare inducing games. The choices for me are a bit limited. So more games = more choices.

But I guess I'll just save my money for other games not from Sony.

He isn’t the guy for that. Sony shows usually have a bunch of high quality moments and great surprise reveals. When you have a 2 year gap you expect it to be extra special and that they’ve saved up more for it. You can’t allocate so much resources to live service games and expect the same results as before, especially now that dev cycles are so much longer.
Personally speaking as someone who have keeping up with the latest news and rumours, this presentation didn't surprise me. There were no rumours and reports of a PlayStation eXclusive coming in 2024 aside from Wolverine, and Wolverine isn't even solid for 2024.

I guess people who already have a ps5 just want more since its gonna be 3 years since ps5's release, and when it comes to 1st party eXclusives its just God of War, Miles Morales, Gran Turismo and Horizon (all available to ps4) - which are all great but ideally there should have been more by now. The rest like Returnal, Demons Soul and Astro aren't that mainstream.

The lack of release date/pre order for Spider-Man 2 is a terrible decision. There's already a couple of games with an eXact release date for September to December. "Fall 2023" just sounds like they haven't made a decision yet because the game is probably not close to being finished and they are behind schedule?

I was also a bit surprised that Metal Gear Solid is coming to XboX. So from this presentation, pc and XboX are only missing out on Spider-Man 2 which eventually come to Pc because Jim Ryan.

The showcase should have just featured Spider-Man 2, then the two ps studios game to lessen the disappointment. The rest like AC mirage footage could have been presented somewhere else like Ubisoft Forward.

Here's the rundown of upcoming PlayStation Studios games

Insomniac - Spider-Man 2 / Wolverine
Firewalk - Concord
Haven - Fairgame$
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us Multiplayer / new ip
San Diego - The MLB Show 24 (not announced)
London - new ip
Bend - new ip
Bluepoint - new ip
Team Asobi - working on a new game
Housemarque - new ip
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima 2 (not announced)
Guerilla - Horizon III (not official)
Santa Monica - God of War 6 (not official)
Polyphony - supporting GT7 for years
Media Molecule - working on a new game

15 studios under 1 wing. As much as we complain about them, I still find them the best gaming studio out there. All of these games will come out eventually. I think we are just in a phase that things aren't too eXciting yet. I do need a new ip hopefully from Bend and Bluepoint but its a wait and see. I'm not into Returnal/Demons Soul/Ratchet&Clank kind of games so it will depend on the genre and I don't want another horror game. The new Ip from Naughty Dog is a must play then I could see TLOU3 at the end of ps5's run. The other studios will do sequels and I don't think a Housemarque game will appeal to me. Hopefully a MAJOR acquisition is on the way like ActiVision big as they are still on a shopping spree.
I don’t think we/people do complain much though. This show was a shock compared to the normal Sony show level. Horizon and GoW that released recently were amazing for me so I’ve not been complaining at all, except for not getting a show last year. With 2 of my faves now out of the picture for shows I really wanted Naughty Dog to be present (even if only to accelerate Factions out of the way) or for other studios to step up.

As for major acquisitions, I don’t think they are as important for PlayStation as it’s not like the games will be free in a game pass equivalent so not a whole lot changes. Boosting and building up other promising small studios the way they’ve done before (but not for more live service ****!) would be great to see though.

Personally speaking as someone who have keeping up with the latest news and rumours, this presentation didn't surprise me. There were no rumours and reports of a PlayStation eXclusive coming in 2024 aside from Wolverine, and Wolverine isn't even solid for 2024.

I guess people who already have a ps5 just want more since its gonna be 3 years since ps5's release, and when it comes to 1st party eXclusives its just God of War, Miles Morales, Gran Turismo and Horizon (all available to ps4) - which are all great but ideally there should have been more by now. The rest like Returnal, Demons Soul and Astro aren't that mainstream.

The lack of release date/pre order for Spider-Man 2 is a terrible decision. There's already a couple of games with an eXact release date for September to December. "Fall 2023" just sounds like they haven't made a decision yet because the game is probably not close to being finished and they are behind schedule?

I was also a bit surprised that Metal Gear Solid is coming to XboX. So from this presentation, pc and XboX are only missing out on Spider-Man 2 which eventually come to Pc because Jim Ryan.

The showcase should have just featured Spider-Man 2, then the two ps studios game to lessen the disappointment. The rest like AC mirage footage could have been presented somewhere else like Ubisoft Forward.
Maybe the lack of release date is to be strategic around other game release dates as the game looks in a good state. Hope that’s the case anyway.

I don’t think we/people do complain much though. This show was a shock compared to the normal Sony show level. Horizon and GoW that released recently were amazing for me so I’ve not been complaining at all, except for not getting a show last year. With 2 of my faves now out of the picture for shows I really wanted Naughty Dog to be present (even if only to accelerate Factions out of the way) or for other studios to step up.

As for major acquisitions, I don’t think they are as important for PlayStation as it’s not like the games will be free in a game pass equivalent so not a whole lot changes. Boosting and building up other promising small studios the way they’ve done before (but not for more live service ****!) would be great to see though.
Sony Aggressively Pursuing Entertainment Mergers and Acquisitions - PlayStation LifeStyle

That recent article says that Sony is still in a shopping spree. I didn't know they recently purchased EMI Music and Crunchy Roll.

The main reason why I want them to purchase more is so they would have more offerings for the PlayStation that would appeal to me as a consumer. So far, I didn't/dont really feel that with the ps5 era. Firesprite, Housemarque, Haven, Bungie... Bluepoint is still a wait and see.

I'd like to see them hire more people for their game studios so they could speed up the production of their games, but that doesn't seem to be priority right now for them as far as I'm aware. So acquiring more studios is probably the neXt best thing.

I honestly think the biggest issue with the thing was presentation, not content. Nintendo Directs are able to make even the most lackluster of release schedules an interesting watch. (Never forget Nintendo Farming direct). This was for the most part, CG trailer after CG trailer after CG trailer. The big stuff, and some not that big stuff, can get more than a CG trailer, some narration on what to expect.

How many trailers needed a little explanation on what to expect in this show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"