Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

So, is there no Media Player app to play digital music, video, and image files?

I haven't found one yet.

8 games installed on the internal ssd (3 PS5 and 5 PS4 games) and already down to 224GB of space left. :(

That space goes fast! :(

8 games installed on the internal ssd (3 PS5 and 5 PS4 games) and already down to 224GB of space left. :(

I really hope Sony gets around to enabling NVMe support and listing compatible NVMe drives soon. The sooner the storage shortage can be addressed the better.

Mannnn I'm bummed. Tried so hard the past 2 days, but couldn't get a console. If you weren't able to sit at a computer and constantly refresh, you had no chance.

I really hope Sony gets around to enabling NVMe support and listing compatible NVMe drives soon. The sooner the storage shortage can be addressed the better.

You know they’ll address it and eventually we will have more space. Nothing to worry about.

So, as I am continuing to test playing my PS4 games on my PS5, and comparing them to playing on the PS4 Pro, I've noticed another "hidden" feature on the PS5.

It seems like the PS5 is enabling HDR by default on everything, including non-HDR games like SF V, Diablo III, Soul Calibur VI, and Persona 5 Royal.

I have my tv and consoles set to Auto HDR. So, if content supports HDR, it will be enabled by default. And for non-HDR content, HDR will be turned off by default.

That's how it has been on my PS4 Pro. For non-HDR games, like SF V, if I turn on HDR, then the colors become garish and oversaturated and it just doesn't look right. Because the game was not meant for HDR.

However, on my PS5, even non-HDR games are running in HDR by default. And now, the colors look nice, not garish and oversaturated. If I turn off HDR, then everything becomes washed out. Now, it's like the game was meant to be running in HDR. And if I go back and look at the non-HDR version running on my PS4 Pro, now THAT looks oversaturated.

So, somehow the PS5 on a system level is applying HDR (properly) to non-HDR games and giving them that added visual benefit. It's subtle, but it's just a nice bonus feature, imo, and one I wasn't aware of. I know on Xbox they talked about applying HDR to older non-HDR games, but I hadn't heard any talk of that from Playstation.

Last edited:
I just discovered HDR last week so I haven't really tested it eXcept for 4games. I hope I get this new console neXt month.

How are the download and install times? I have great internet and an open NAT so just curious if they’re even faster this go around.

Uh-oh. :(

My controller has charged fine. Sounds like yours might be defective?

Where did you order your PS5 from? If it's a local retailer, I'd go down with the receipt and ask for a controller replacement.
I did that and sadly its the console. every port seems to not produce a full charge. the controllers charge on a USB adapter though. My solution? I plan on just picking up a charging station today from Gamestop. I don't want to risk sending the console in only for my next version to have a different issue because the console is running fine aside from that haha.

I did that and sadly its the console. every port seems to not produce a full charge. the controllers charge on a USB adapter though. My solution? I plan on just picking up a charging station today from Gamestop. I don't want to risk sending the console in only for my next version to have a different issue because the console is running fine aside from that haha.
Hmm.....that's weird.

Hopefully you will find some way to fix it on the console level. At this point, it would probably be hard to get the console replaced or order a new console anyways.

Though, technically, if the product is defective, it should be covered under the retailer's normal refund policy. So, if you need to get it replaced, you would want to do that during the return period. Did you get any kind of extended warranty?

How are the download and install times? I have great internet and an open NAT so just curious if they’re even faster this go around.
I've heard/read some people say download/install times are faster on the PS5.

However, to me, it seems roughly the same? Though I can't say for certain as I have not done a direct comparison. I wasn't planning on doing such a test, but now I may just out of curiosity.....haha.

I think install speed will still be determined primarily by your internet speed. So, if you have high speed internet, you should be good.

So I compared the download/install speeds using UFC 4 installed from the disc. It's a bit hard to do a direct comparison since the PS5 seems to report download/install info differently than the PS4.

The PS5 breaks the info down further, telling you how long it takes to both start the application and how long it takes to install the full game. On the PS4, I believe it breaks it down like that for digital games. But for disc games, I think it only tells you how long it takes to "copy" the game until it's ready to start but doesn't tell you how long it takes for the full game to install. The PS5 seems to report this info for both disc and digital games.

However, downloading and installing the same sized update file through the internet took roughly about the same time (7 minutes).

So, I'm going to say the download/install speeds are probably roughly the same for both PS5 and PS4. It's just that the PS5 provides you with more detailed and accurate info about install times.

Hmm.....that's weird.

Hopefully you will find some way to fix it on the console level. At this point, it would probably be hard to get the console replaced or order a new console anyways.

Though, technically, if the product is defective, it should be covered under the retailer's normal refund policy. So, if you need to get it replaced, you would want to do that during the return period. Did you get any kind of extended warranty?
I did, it's warranty up to 1 year I think.

Seems like wal-mart is out of charging stations so i guess all that i can do is use a USB adapter for the time being. My worry is what if i send it back, and get another defective one that freezes or something?

I did, it's warranty up to 1 year I think.

Seems like wal-mart is out of charging stations so i guess all that i can do is use a USB adapter for the time being. My worry is what if i send it back, and get another defective one that freezes or something?
That's always a possibility and risk. Especially with these early units.

But if you have a 1 year extended warranty, then you can always take the chance to wait (at least a few months) until more stock is readily available and thus easier to replace. Also, more chances of the early issues being worked out and the possibility that your issue may get resolved on its own (or through an update patch).

I just know that if it were me, for that amount of money, I wouldn't want to own a defective unit. So, at some point, I would want to get it replaced while it's still under warranty.

But I can certainly understand worrying about getting another defective unit with something else wrong. I ran into similar issues early on with the Xbox One and Xbox One S. During the 1st several years of trying to buy that console, I had to go through multiple units, each with some issue or another that was different than the last. It was definitely frustrating and did sour my experience with Xbox during the past gen.

That's always a possibility and risk. Especially with these early units.

But if you have a 1 year extended warranty, then you can always take the chance to wait (at least a few months) until more stock is readily available and thus easier to replace. Also, more chances of the early issues being worked out and the possibility that your issue may get resolved on its own (or through an update patch).

I just know that if it were me, for that amount of money, I wouldn't want to own a defective unit. So, at some point, I would want to get it replaced while it's still under warranty.

But I can certainly understand worrying about getting another defective unit with something else wrong. I ran into similar issues early on with the Xbox One and Xbox One S. During the 1st several years of trying to buy that console, I had to go through multiple units, each with some issue or another that was different than the last. It was definitely frustrating and did sour my experience with Xbox during the past gen.
I agree with all of what you just said. I guess this is the continued risk with launch consoles haha. What i think Ill do is Ill get the charging station on ebay, and then in a few months when stock is heavier, I'll replace the console. I don't think it's gonna hinder my enjoyment of the console for the time being. When the battery dies, I'll hook it up until I finish playing, and then put it on the charger while I'm not playing.

I agree with all of what you just said. I guess this is the continued risk with launch consoles haha. What i think Ill do is Ill get the charging station on ebay, and then in a few months when stock is heavier, I'll replace the console. I don't think it's gonna hinder my enjoyment of the console for the time being. When the battery dies, I'll hook it up until I finish playing, and then put it on the charger while I'm not playing.
Sounds like a plan. Hope it all works out in the end.

Ok, here are the results of my loading time comparison tests. I tested out SF V, Soul Calibur VI, FF 7 Remake, Persona 5 Royal, Diablo 3, and UFC 4. Comparing the games running on the PS4 Pro internal drive, PS5 SSD, and PS5 external hdd.

1st # is the Initial Logo/Title Loading Time and 2nd # is the Match/Save Loading Time.

SFV
PS4 Pro: 40s / 22s
PS5 SSD: 13s / 17s
PS5 Ext: 14s / 17s

Soul Calibur VI
PS4 Pro: 32s / 27-32s
PS5 SSD: 12s / 20-21s
PS5 Ext: 14s / 21-24s

FF 7 Remake
PS4 Pro: 33s / 26s
PS5 SSD: 20s / 18s
PS5 Ext: 20s / 28s

Persona 5 Royal
PS4 Pro: 20s / 6s
PS5 SSD: 11s / 4s
PS5 Ext: 12s / 5s

Diablo 3
PS4 Pro: 32s / 32s
PS5 SSD: 17s / 8s
PS5 Ext: 19s / 23s

UFC 4
PS4 Pro: 29s / 26s
PS5 SSD: 20s / 10s
PS5 Ext: 21s / 21s

As you can see by the results, the PS5 SSD load times are MUCH faster than the PS4 Pro, both for the initial loading of the game and loading saves/matches.

Even running the games off an external hdd offers improvements to load times on the PS5. Not as fast as running directly from the ssd, but still faster than the PS4 Pro. The one notable exception was loading a save in FF 7 Remake, which actually took slightly longer than the PS4 Pro.

This is great news (for me at least) because it means you can still get loading speed benefits from the PS5 even running games off an external. Not the full benefit, but still something at least. Plus, you still get the auto-HDR benefit which I mentioned in an earlier post.

With these results, I now feel comfortable storing all of my PS4 games on an external to free up space on the internal ssd for PS5 games. I was worried that I would lose all of the speed benefits of the internal SSD, but as these results show, that is not the case. There is still some benefit to be had. So, this will be good enough until external ssd storage gets cheaper and larger (like a 4-5TB external ssd for $200).

Hope this helps and was informative for anyone who is curious about this stuff. And now, with all this testing out of the way, I can actually play my new PS5 games! :oldrazz:

Thanks man. I'm still hoping they release a patch of some kind because it's happened to someone else just now too. We'll see, I guess.
Sure thing. Yeah, hopefully it is something that can be patched without having to replace the whole console.

My controller charged fine for my first use of it, so thinking I dodged that one lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"