Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

The director of Days Gone went on a live interview yesterday and confirmed a lot of Schreier's article. He could not confirm or deny if the sequel is being made because he's still under NDA even though he's no longer at Bend.

That is something. Still no word on when they will get around to a) enabling the port b) telling you which drives will actually be accepted and c) giving you any alternative to just using an older version of a hard drive to play on.

The director of Days Gone went on a live interview yesterday and confirmed a lot of Schreier's article. He could not confirm or deny if the sequel is being made because he's still under NDA even though he's no longer at Bend.

I wonder what morale is like at Bend right now. Sony have got their 5 mega-studios (plus Polyphony Digital) and I thought they’d be looking to cultivate Bend to the next level to join those others. You see the jump in quality from Uncharted 1 to 2 and what came since for ND and think maybe Days Gone 2 could have been a big jump too.

Yeah thats what I thought too. Oh well. The positive thing about it though is they could work on a new Ip as I felt like Sony was going to be mostly sequels/spin offs (God of War, Spidey, Horizon, Astro, Ghost, Ratchet, GT) for this generation (with a couple of remakes) in terms of their 1st party games. Maybe something more interesting than Days Gone for Bend Studio in the neXt 3 to 4 years? I think the critical reception of the game really hurt it and Sony wasn't going to give Days Gone a pass despite good sales. If I remember correctly, its their #1 big eXclusive that scored poorly in metacritic, more or less 70. While TLOU still received a lot of accolades.

Last edited:
Yet another hotfix Sony will have to implement eventually because stupid reasons?

lol maybe ps6 won't have that in a couple of years. Are the Xbox consoles safe from that?

Yeah thats what I thought too. Oh well. The positive thing about it though is they could work on a new Ip as I felt like Sony was going to be mostly sequels/spin offs (God of War, Spidey, Horizon, Astro, Ghost, Ratchet, GT) for this generation (with a couple of remakes) in terms of their 1st party games. Maybe something more interesting than Days Gone for Bend Studio in the neXt 3 to 4 years? I think the critical reception of the game really hurt it and Sony wasn't going to give Days Gone a pass despite good sales. If I remember correctly, its their #1 big eXclusive that scored poorly in metacritic, more or less 70. While TLOU still received a lot of accolades.
I guess that's one issue of having such acclaimed main franchises. It's kind of hard to stop and do something else, and even if you do fans of the original franchise are being underserved. They should expand these 5 studios so they can keep the main IPs going as well as try new IPs (that is if the studios want to). I love TLOU for eg but I don't want it to come at the cost of Uncharted. Uncharted 3 came out in 2011 and since then there's been one more mainline game in the next decade and counting till Uncharted 5. I also don't want GoW games to ever stop or any big gaps between games so I'm happy SSM are dedicated just to GoW. It's a good problem to have with too much demand for your products but still one that needs a solution in an ideal scenario.

The same applies to Bethesda for eg. Imagine if Starfield turns into a hit. It is still the same studio making Elder Scrolls and Fallout so they could have 3 very dense games on their plate that take a tonne of time to get out, but the fact the same studio has them all is why ES fans will go more than a decade without a new game. For me for eg I love Fallout too but if I had to choose I would rather keep getting ES games as often as possible.

someone from Naughty Dog recently said that its hard to juggle more than 1 game at the same time. I think divisions (especially in Sony) are likely to release 1 game every 2 to 3 years and with established ips getting priority first, its unlikely there would be a new ip every other year from those divisions. While there are others like ubisoft (who have dozens of studios around the world) and Capcom, who managed to churn out countless numbers of games for their big ips - are more likely to launch a new ip under their belt every now and then.

The more I think about it, I'd rather see something else instead of Days Gone 2. Some people are calling DG a TLOU knock off and I can see why and Sony might be better off differentiating their franchises. And they could also make games that don't need to lead to a sequel like Shadow of the Colossus.

I guess that's one issue of having such acclaimed main franchises. It's kind of hard to stop and do something else, and even if you do fans of the original franchise are being underserved. They should expand these 5 studios so they can keep the main IPs going as well as try new IPs (that is if the studios want to). I love TLOU for eg but I don't want it to come at the cost of Uncharted. Uncharted 3 came out in 2011 and since then there's been one more mainline game in the next decade and counting till Uncharted 5. I also don't want GoW games to ever stop or any big gaps between games so I'm happy SSM are dedicated just to GoW. It's a good problem to have with too much demand for your products but still one that needs a solution in an ideal scenario.

The same applies to Bethesda for eg. Imagine if Starfield turns into a hit. It is still the same studio making Elder Scrolls and Fallout so they could have 3 very dense games on their plate that take a tonne of time to get out, but the fact the same studio has them all is why ES fans will go more than a decade without a new game. For me for eg I love Fallout too but if I had to choose I would rather keep getting ES games as often as possible.

SMS is actually making a new ip has well has next GOW. The guy who created How is creating a new ip.

SMS is actually making a new ip has well has next GOW. The guy who created How is creating a new ip.
Oh is that confirmed? That's great if so. They are such a talented studio that I would love to see what they can do on something new - as long as GoW keeps getting made regularly.

Oh is that confirmed? That's great if so. They are such a talented studio that I would love to see what they can do on something new - as long as GoW keeps getting made regularly.

Pretty sure and I would guess next GOW will be 2022 being we have seen and heard nothing about it yet besides the like logo teaser we got and I would guess after that a new IP.

Pretty sure and I would guess next GOW will be 2022 being we have seen and heard nothing about it yet besides the like logo teaser we got and I would guess after that a new IP.
I hope they are now big enough to have 2 teams work on 2 big games separately at the same time. Ideally all of the top 5 studios will expand to be able to do this. People want to see sequels to the likes of Uncharted, TLOU, GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon & Ghost along with new IP from those studios. New IPs from these guys will have a really good chance too as the reputation of these studios means many will give the games a try, even if they are not quite their thing on first look.

My predictions

2022: Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarök
2023: Spider-Man 2
2024: Ghost of Tsushima Returns, The Last of Us Part I

Then add the rumoured eXclusive Metal Gear Solid remake, new Naughty Dog and perhaps a new action adventure from Bend Studio into the miX.

I would like to see at least 2 new ips from Sony that are third person action-adventure for this generation.

I hope they are now big enough to have 2 teams work on 2 big games separately at the same time. Ideally all of the top 5 studios will expand to be able to do this. People want to see sequels to the likes of Uncharted, TLOU, GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon & Ghost along with new IP from those studios. New IPs from these guys will have a really good chance too as the reputation of these studios means many will give the games a try, even if they are not quite their thing on first look.

Insomniac I wonder if they will give us a new ip this gen or not. We got miles morales now getting ratchet and clank in June will likely get spiderman 2 after that around 2023 then after I wonder if we will get a new ip from them or if we will get another ratchet and clank. I love ratchet and clank but I would be down for a new ip to.

My predictions

2022: Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarök
2023: Spider-Man 2
2024: Ghost of Tsushima Returns, The Last of Us Part I

Then add the rumoured eXclusive Metal Gear Solid remake, new Naughty Dog and perhaps a new action adventure from Bend Studio into the miX.

I would like to see at least 2 new ips from Sony that are third person action-adventure for this generation.

Sony is basically already set for 2021 and 2022 being we are getting ratchet and clank and returnal this year and Horizon I think will still be this year. 2022 God of war Ragnarok and GT7. 2023 likely spiderman. So yeah I basically agree with your years other than I think Horizon will still be late this year instead of 2022. But yeah Sony is already set up nicely and you also got what ever the new second SD studio is making that is not the ones behind MLB the show.

Hmm. I didn't mention Returnal as its not a 1st party game, and imo it doesn't look like a big seller compare to Sony's 1st party exclusives. It might perform slightly better than Death Stranding. Who knows maybe it'd be a surprise hit. But I think the game would be a hard sell for casual gamers.

While Ratchet & Clank is probably going to sell fine but its not giving me "blockbuster game" vibes. Its more like a family game similar to Astro/Sackboy.

There's also this:
Sony's New San Diego Team Is Working on 'Existing Franchises' - IGN

eXisting franchises though.

as for Horizon 2, I feel like we should have seen more by now. Still no actual gameplay footage. Ratchet and clank has an actual gameplay footage that was released before ps5 was launched and its coming out in June. I'd be surprised if Horizon is released 5 to 6 months after that game. If I have to bet, it is coming out spring or summer of 2022. I imagine games like Horizon and God of war are more impacted by Covid as they are bigger games and bigger games need more time.

Last edited:
Hmm. I didn't mention Returnal as its not a 1st party game, and imo it doesn't look like a big seller compare to Sony's 1st party exclusives. It might perform slightly better than Death Stranding. Who knows maybe it'd be a surprise hit. But I think the game would be a hard sell for casual gamers.

While Ratchet & Clank is probably going to sell fine but its not giving me "blockbuster game" vibes. Its more like a family game similar to Astro/Sackboy.

There's also this:
Sony's New San Diego Team Is Working on 'Existing Franchises' - IGN

eXisting franchises though.

as for Horizon 2, I feel like we should have seen more by now. Still no actual gameplay footage. Ratchet and clank has an actual gameplay footage that was released before ps5 was launched and its coming out in June. I'd be surprised if Horizon is released 5 to 6 months after that game. If I have to bet, it is coming out spring or summer of 2022. I imagine games like Horizon and God of war are more impacted by Covid as they are bigger games and bigger games need more time.

Well GOW and GT7 already got pushed back to 2022 I am guessing that Horizon will not follow and will still make 2021 around November but I think we will have a better idea after June and e3. I know Sony is not doing e3 but I expect they will do a big state of play or something around e3 even if its like a week before or a week after. Returnal I think will do good not like crazy but good. Ratchet and clank is a system seller level game for me but I know its not for a lot of people but I think it is bigger than sackboy even if not like Horizon level.

The new SD team I will dont know what to expect has there has been so many rumors. There has been rumors about them doing uncharted 5 like doing a new ip has well. Also we really dont know like how far into development they are with what ever it is that they are doing. Going back to Horizon for a second it is true covid is having a big impact on games my guess is that depending on the game that covid is slowing down game development any where from 6-12 months. I think before covid that Horizon could have been a launch ps5 game or a early 2021 game.

God of War isn't yet pushed back to 2022. Most of us just assume that it won't be released this year due to the lack of footage. While the only difference with Horizon 2 is that it has an actual teaser trailer. But still no actual gameplay, no new clips since it was revealed last year, not even a rumoured release date. Who knows if all of those scenes shown in the teaser would make it to the game. Some of the scenes didn't look like game cutscenes to me. So They are kinda in the same status in my opinion. And of course Sony probably aims to release a big game coming from their studio for Q4, but with a lot of big games already delayed to 2022 this early in 2021, I'd be shocked if Horizon comes out in good shape later this year.

Well I think Cory Barlog said it will come out when it’s done. So people are assuming that means it won’t release this year. Sony is rumored to be skipping E3 again and hosting their own event. So my guess is that is when we’ll know hopefully. I’m thinking it’s delayed but **** you never know.

Yeah someone from Sony said they will release it when its ready, but no official delay yet as of now.

I just looked at SIE's first party games (well the list from Wikipedia... idk how accurate that is but still) I was kinda surprised that they didn't release so many games for the ps4 compare to the ps3 era. I prefer quality over quantity, but if it wasn't for remasters/ps4 ports of ps3 games, I don't think I would have more or less 20 first party games for the ps4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"