The Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow News and Discussion Thread

Name them. Also, yes, it is true that you don't /need/ to have a background on VFX heavy stuff, but it's a lot better if you do. Amongst the many tidbits of information shown in that article that highlighted everything wrong with how Marvel and other companies handle VFX heavy projects, they point to how first time directors for this kind of stuff that come from indies or whatever typically have no idea what to do and it causes all sorts of problems.

The main problem is most of Marvel’s directors aren’t familiar with working with visual effects. A lot of them have just done little indies at the Sundance Film Festival and have never worked with VFX. They don’t know how to visualize something that’s not there yet, that’s not on set with them. So Marvel often starts asking for what we call “final renders.” As we’re working through a movie, we’ll send work-in-progress images that are not pretty but show where we’re at. Marvel often asks for them to be delivered at a much higher quality very early on, and that takes a lot of time. Marvel does that because its directors don’t know how to look at the rough images early on and make judgment calls. But that is the way the industry has to work. You can’t show something super pretty when the basics are still being fleshed out.

Making any great movie is abnormally difficult, and, well I do want this film to be great lmao Sure, you can go and hire some middle of the road hack that's gonna turn out the Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow equivalent of something like Ant-Man and the Wasp which is perfectly competent, but I don't want that for this film based on the source material. The comic is great, a movie adaptation has potential to be great, and with the current state of superhero movies I think the only way this becomes a success is if it's great. I'm not exactly sure why "You need a great director to make a great movie that fully lives up to the potential of this great comic, and there are very few great directors" is such a hot take.
MXn8FuP.gif

Rachel Talalay ain't about to get the job, but her work on Doctor Who would make me very excited if she did.

Rachel Talalay ain't about to get the job, but her work on Doctor Who would make me very excited if she did.
Zero percent chance of her getting it obviously, Kate Herron is a real pick that could easily get it but Talalay's just done such exceptional genre work on Who that she'd be a great fit for this. Really want to see her do some features. Heaven Sent and Hell Bent are better directed than 99% of CBMs.

My choices for this would probably by either Gina Prince-Bythewood or Jennifer Kent, the former because she's almost sure fire the right pick and the latter because I feel like she'd really nail the Western side of the story. Nia DaCosta would also be a brilliant choice but I know everyone hates her now for making an obviously micromanaged Marvel movie that was clearly largely taken out of her hands. But, for TV directors specifically who'd be solid choices: Rachel Talalay or Kate Herron spring to mind immediately.

I do tend to agree that Gina, Kent and Herron sound very plausible and could be good picks. Still, I'm weary, because the film has a lot to live up to in terms of visuals if it was to do justice to the comic. It's not gonna be easy to direct at all.

Here's a full list of directors I could see being looked at for this:
-Kate Herron
-Niki Caro
-Jennifer Kent
-Julia Ducornau
-Lynne Ramsay
-Celine Song
-Issa Lopez
-Bryce Dallas Howard
-Deborah Chow
-Lana Wachowski
-Nahnatchka Khan
-Mimi Cave
-Nikyatu Jusu
-Lorene Scafaria
-Reed Morano
-Lisa Joy
-Lulu Wang
-Emerald Fennell
-Elizabeth Banks
-Gina Prince-Bythewood
-Kitty Green
-Susanna White
-Charlotte Brändström

I'd personally be excited for Julia, Lana or Lisa, they have the type of ambition I want in this film, but I'm not sure if they'd happen.

Elizabeth Banks, Deborah Chow, Niki Caro and Issa Lopez all sound like horrible scenarios for me. Fennell's a bit annoying.

Zero percent chance of her getting it obviously, Kate Herron is a real pick that could easily get it but Talalay's just done such exceptional genre work on Who that she'd be a great fit for this. Really want to see her do some features. Heaven Sent and Hell Bent are better directed than 99% of CBMs.
Herron is another good shout.

But yeah, Talalay has done my favorite Who. Her streak of two part finales with are just next level. Especially the one you mentioned, which I've watched at least a dozen times.

I've also gotta be real: I also just don't care about the visuals. If you get the screenplay right and have the right cast you could do it on cheap ass old rickety science fiction sets it'd still be just as great. It's only the particular style of absolute visual slop you get out of Disney+ streaming swill or, God help you, The Flash that really registers as a problem to me.

Herron is another good shout.

But yeah, Talalay has done my favorite Who. Her streak of two part finales with are just next level. Especially the one you mentioned, which I've watched at least a dozen times.
While I've only seen maybe 25% of the classic series I'm comfy calling those the height of Doctor Who. Which is really saying something for a show that has been going as long as it has with such high highs.

I've also gotta be real: I also just don't care about the visuals. If you get the screenplay right and have the right cast you could do it on cheap ass old rickety science fiction sets it'd still be just as great. It's only the particular style of absolute visual slop you get out of Disney+ streaming swill or, God help you, The Flash that really registers as a problem to me.
For films as VFX heavy as this it's extraordinarily easy to fall into absolute visual slop if you don't have someone inventive and competent at the front of it. It's not nearly as easy to make a movie like this as you are assuming it'd be.

For films as VFX heavy as this it's extraordinarily easy to fall into absolute visual slop if you don't have someone inventive and competent at the front of it. It's not nearly as easy to make a movie like this as you are assuming it'd be.
I am not assuming it's easy, dude. Filmmaking is a ****ing nightmare. I just have very different priorities with movies than you do. That isn't a jab, we just have wildly different values in art and storytelling.

I do tend to agree that Gina, Kent and Herron sound very plausible and could be good picks. Still, I'm weary, because the film has a lot to live up to in terms of visuals if it was to do justice to the comic. It's not gonna be easy to direct at all.

Here's a full list of directors I could see being looked at for this:
-Kate Herron
-Niki Caro
-Jennifer Kent
-Julia Ducornau
-Lynne Ramsay
-Celine Song
-Issa Lopez
-Bryce Dallas Howard
-Deborah Chow
-Lana Wachowski
-Nahnatchka Khan
-Mimi Cave
-Nikyatu Jusu
-Lorene Scafaria
-Reed Morano
-Lisa Joy
-Lulu Wang
-Emerald Fennell
-Elizabeth Banks
-Gina Prince-Bythewood
-Kitty Green
-Susanna White
-Charlotte Brändström

I'd personally be excited for Julia, Lana or Lisa, they have the type of ambition I want in this film, but I'm not sure if they'd happen.

Elizabeth Banks, Deborah Chow, Niki Caro and Issa Lopez all sound like horrible scenarios for me. Fennell's a bit annoying.
How much do you know about those directors and their work to think a lot of them would even be interested?

All superhero movies have to live up to a visual bar. Fretting over one likely to be directed by a woman feels weird.

How much do you know about those directors and their work to think a lot of them would even be interested?

All superhero movies have to live up to a visual bar. Fretting over one likely to be directed by a woman feels weird.
I think a lot of them wouldn't, that's why I said directors DC Studios could LOOK AT. Not saying all those people would be dying to be a part of it, but people that Gunn and Safran could be interested in talking to or as possibilities. Kevin Feige talked to Lucrecia Martel for Black Widow for christ's sake lmao

Also I'm way waaaaaay more picky in regards to Brave and the Bold directors, you can check it over on those threads, so it's not a "woman" thing, it's a "making these movies is ****ing hard and I want them to be great" thing. What is this constant, ridiculous and condescending need of yours of trying to softly imply I'm some sort of misogynist? If you want to think that you can just say that and tell me to **** off instead of continuing with these asinine comments.

I didn’t even like Loki, but it was clear from it that Kate Herron was the real deal. Nia DaCosta, Gina Prince-Bythewood and Kate Herron would probably be my top picks for this atm.

I didn’t even like Loki, but it was clear from it that Kate Herron was the real deal. Nia DaCosta, Gina Prince-Bythewood and Kate Herron would probably be my top picks for this atm.
I don't think WBD, or even Gunn, would ever hire Nia right after The Marvels. And I don't think it's a good idea, the amount of baggage they'd carry from that alone is the last thing DC needs right now and it'd just be an extremely bizarre and unnecessary risk. Gina and Kate would be good.

Blaming Nia for The Marvels is clearly pretty absurd given we all know that was a butchered, assembly line, micro-managed nightmare. She's a substantially better director than anyone we've heard about circling a DCU project outside of I guess Gunn and Mangold - and I suspect she'll be clearly at least par with them once she has a few more actual movies under her belt.

I couldn't care less about what is or isn't publicity baggage for DC. **** 'em, zero investment in this universe panning out or making any impact. You're probably right, but that doesn't mean it's the right call creatively.

Lol why are you here

Nah, jokes aside. DeCosta would be a solid get. Not super exciting, but solid. Kent would be next level though.

Maybe he’s a big fan of supergirl though
Maybe. But I’ll go out on a limb and predict that most Supergirl fans would not want to see Terrence Malick’s version of Supergirl.

In terms of directors who are “visual stylists”… Well, Guillermo del Toro and Ang Lee have actually made superhero movies before (and know vfx). And George Miller almost made a superhero movie.

Of course, there are several other candidates who could handle artsy visuals. But most of the obvious ones are probably too big, too auteur or too disinterested in the subject matter.

The very best of luck to her. I look forward to seeing her on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"