The Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow News and Discussion Thread

It just sounds so exciting that there’s all this momentum for the Superman family onscreen.

Curious to see how faithful the script is to the Woman of Tomorrow source material.

It just sounds so exciting that there’s all this momentum for the Superman family onscreen.

Curious to see how faithful the script is to the Woman of Tomorrow source material.
I’ve always specifically wanted to see them on film together in modern times. Feels unreal that we’re getting that, and this is the first film where actors that I’ve wanted have all come in one after another. (I’m also more fine with Hoult than most). Very exciting times!!

That’s what I’m curious about too. Obviously (given the title and what’s already been said) it’s a key point of inspiration, but we rarely ever get any of these movies that are 100% zeroed in on one piece of source material, so I’m curious what other areas of inspiration they might end up drawing from.

It’s tricky to find other good Supergirl runs though, that’s the issue lol. I can’t think of any off the top my head, except for the animated series. I wonder if they draw on any Legion of Super Heroes stuff? Maybe that’s better for a sequel…

I could see the screenwriter taking liberties with certain planets/aliens that Kara and Ruth encounter, and maybe even swap Krem for another DC space villain. Not that I’m advocating for it, but Lobo has been pretty heavily rumored from the start of the DCU…

It’s tricky to find other good Supergirl runs though, that’s the issue lol. I can’t think of any off the top my head, except for the animated series. I wonder if they draw on any Legion of Super Heroes stuff? Maybe that’s better for a sequel…

I could see the screenwriter taking liberties with certain planets/aliens that Kara and Ruth encounter, and maybe even swap Krem for another DC space villain. Not that I’m advocating for it, but Lobo has been pretty heavily rumored from the start of the DCU…
I will say, the New 52 run had some really solid ideas, if not great execution. Like the arc where Kara becomes a Red Lantern, or learning her dad was the mad scientist of Krypton who created the Worldkillers (and thought for a minute that she might have been one of his “creations” as well). Also would be down for Cyborg Zor-El like from Rebirth as well. There are some good kernels for ongoing stories with her, just not necessarily stuff I would adapt quite as faithfully as I hope they are WoT.

Our 5th live action Supergirl! Milly Alcock will definitely fit perfectly for the more emo Supergirl they're going to give us. I was amazed to find out that she's taller than Meg. I would've figured it was the other way around.

I wouldnt mind if her origin were similar to Injustice 2

Our 5th live action Supergirl! Milly Alcock will definitely fit perfectly for the more emo Supergirl they're going to give us. I was amazed to find out that she's taller than Meg. I would've figured it was the other way around.
According to Celebheights, they’re essentially the same: 5’2”-ish. Tiny. So now they’ll need someone even shorter for Ruthye. Jenna Ortega?

According to Celebheights, they’re essentially the same: 5’2”-ish. Tiny. So now they’ll need someone even shorter for Ruthye. Jenna Ortega?
Why couldn't they just go with someone who's roughly the same height? After all, the film isn't meant to be a direct translation of the comic.

I’ve been looking forward to this more than anything else in the DC universe and this casting has made me so much more excited. Can’t wait to see what Milly does with the role.

As for the director, I would love for Nia DaCosta to get another chance. The Marvels is flawed but the good in it is really, really good. It’s clear that it had a troubled production, but I think Nia’s skill and talent shone through. If given the opportunity, she could really nail this, prove her haters wrong, and have the redemption she deserves. But understandably she might not want to step back into this world so quickly.

Kate Herron is also a great choice and I had to google who Rachel Talalay was but her work on Dr Who is legit great. Not a lot of movies in her filmography (and one that was on How Did This Get Made? :funny:) but prolific TV work and I see that she has worked on a couple of DC stuff before. I just hope whoever Gunn hires for this is able to deliver on this.

Why couldn't they just go with someone who's roughly the same height? After all, the film isn't meant to be a direct translation of the comic.
With the True Grit source/inspiration, there were obvious contrasts (physical and otherwise) between the two main characters. I.e., ingénue vs. grizzled lawman. Not the quite the case with WoT. And I suppose the easiest way convey difference (especially within the limits of comic book art) was to use height. But as you say, we don’t know the degree to which the movie adaptation will match the comic book. Lots of divergence possible.

Oh. Google said she's 5'5

I think Tom king once said he had originally planned for Lobo to be the villain in the comic. so honestly i could see that being the case for the movie instead.

Haha. Wow, they are really using that word 'edgy' quite often.

This decision could work. It's the safe bet for WB. She already has recognition thanks to House of the Dragon.

Donnelly was too much like Corenswet. That All-American, happy go-lucky type. Same vibe.

And she was too much of an unknown to adult audiences and risky to put an expensive female-led superhero film on.

cw2.png

I doubt she could play darker, edgier characters that effectively. I had forgotten that Gunn specifically said that he wanted this Supergirl to be psychologically effed up. Watching everyone she knew and loved being killed and becoming a jaded character.

Basically the opposite of Superman. It's a good way to go to finally differentiate the character in live action. The previous live action versions of Supergirl were all just playing Superman with a uterus. Not really making Supergirl it's own thing.

That Variety article where it says Gunn wanted to make this polar opposite from the cheesy CW version of Supergirl makes so much sense.

As far as Alcock's look, with the right hair and makeup, I could see this 'edgy' Supergirl working work.

suf.png

It would be similar to what they did with Spider-Gwen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"