The Umbrella Academy

And those Nightmare before Christmas razor blades.

You 've no idea how sad it makes me to see one of my fond childhood memories on a razorblade for the emos. Granted there may be some fans among them, you still can't discount the fact that most probably like it because they see Jack and think: "talking skeleton! cool! its gothic!" :csad:

---Morzan

Reposting my thoughts about the latest issue. Spoilers!

Dread said:
THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY #4: The Apocalypse Suite continues on with Gerald Way & Gabriel Ba's brilliant, bizarre, and overall entertaining set of British former-teen heroes.
The recap on the first page depicting the ho-hum media reason to the return of the Umbrella Academy after 20 years was a hoot to read, getting things off to a great tone. People are comparing this to Morrison's DOOM PATROL, which I never read, but I still am getting more of a SCREW-ON HEAD vibe from this, which is great by my book. Anyway, that one little article alone is almost funny enough for warrent $3 admission, and we have a whole comic to go! Vanya, a.k.a. 0.007, after a childhood spent lamenting her lack of powers, is turned into the deadly White Violin by the evil conductor, via a process that even their callous adoptive alien father felt too extreme. Naturally, she returns the favor almost immediately, which was a shame because I really liked that guy (his speach about finding death weapons was hilarious because of how true it is). Meanwhile, 0.005 is back in the present with his monkey professor trying to prevent the Apocalypse, and naturally the scene is an example of contradiction, him going, "isn't this worth saving?" amongst a neighborhood of smut shops, fighting hookers, and homeless bums. Space-Boy, Rumor, Seance, and Kraken continue to have their usual bickering about their past and current lives, and Seance all but steals the issue with one line.
Reviewing a book like this is something like explaining a joke; you either get it yourself, or you don't, and no one can easily transfer the feeling. For those of you who need a break from fluffy franchises and want something a little different, the Umbrella Academy is for you. Newsarama has an interview with Way here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140261

It is a good interview.

This guy is amazing. He writes great comics, gives great interviews, and from what I've heard, is one of the nicest, most humble people on the planet. He really is a breath of fresh air in this industry. I'm almost half tempted to give his music a serious listen to. Almost.

I heard he references comics in his music a lot.

You know, I don't really know what Emo means. It's just something people like to call stuff they don't like as far as I know. At one point I thought it was supposed to be about cutting and goth like s**t, but I've seen people call stuff EMO that doesnt really fit into the established genre or whatever. As far as I know....I don't know, maybe. That song "Helena" seems pretty EMO to me. I heard the last Album they had wasn't emo. "Teenagers" doesn't sound EMO to me. Though I could be missing the point. Not really a fan, but they do have songs I can bang my head to.

it seems like every "big name" actor or music artist gets their door right in the industry over actual people who do hard work to try and get in.

Well yeah. They come with a built in fan base. In the end, it's all about the money. Sometimes though, when they do get in, it's actually good, like this time.

I know I said I'd NEVER read this -- but screw me. I've read so much praise concerning this.

I'm going to check it out, the first issue was pretty kickin.:up:

So, you did check it out, or you will check it out?

I read the first issue. I liked it...a lot. So yes, I'm going to get the other issues.

Finally got around to reading these issues.I'm in the middle of #1 and so far so good.

Casanova is my crack.

I wet my pants when my store came thru and ordered me 1-7 today.I assumed they couldn't order that far back.

All I've read is V2(8-11) and it's all style and all substance.

As for Umbrella Academy,this is one hell of a series.I love the Morrison/Ellis like concepts here (Tesla like alien genius,spaceships being powered by dead kings remains',Eiffel Tower is a spaceship,etc).

The latter 2 issues have been more action driven,but still up to par.Sucks that there's only 2 issues left,but I read we're getting another mini in 2008,so that's good news.

Any word on when the trade for this will be out?

Probably some time after the actual mini is finished.

I just finished reading #4. I'm not too crazy about the art, but the covers are beautiful, and the characters and story are original, weird, crazy, and just plain fun. They've got me hooked, for now.

Speaking of Dark Horse minis,the Lobster Johnson mini is something I snatched up today.

Only read #1 so far,but I'm really liking it.

Umbrella Academy really suprised me. I like My Chemical Romance-to a point-but I didn't think much of the "rock star writing comics" deal. (ie: the singer from Coheed's "Armory Wars" book is freaking terrible). So I was hesistant.

This is definatly subscription worthy. This Friday I will pick up the next issue when my band plays a show IN a comic store. How awesome is that?

Ba and Moon have become instant favs of mine.

Agreed. Ba's art colored by Dave Stewart is amazing.

Is that...possible?

Don't get me wrong, I like the design of all the characters, and the way the action is set up in the panels. Just overall though, the style isn't one of my favorites. The covers are incredible, though.

An emo friend of mine (I was friends with him before he turned emo) had a copy of this at school today he borrowed from another emo kid. I gotta say, Gerard Way should stop making crappy music, because he can write really good comics. And the art is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"