Sunday
Thor: Love and Thunder - ?
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 39M
Captain Marvel - 38M

OW
Captain Marvel - 153M
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 146M
That Saturday number is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.

I wonder if it means it was very front-loaded with hardcore fans seeing it Thursday and Friday rather than spread out through the weekend.

Box Office Comparison:

Thursday Previews
Thor: Love and Thunder - 29M
Captain Marvel - 20M
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 17M

Friday
Thor: Love and Thunder - 69M
Captain Marvel - 61M
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 56M

Saturday
Thor: Love and Thunder - 41M
Captain Marvel - 52M
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 51M

Sunday
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 39M
Captain Marvel - 38M

OW
Captain Marvel - 153M
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 146M

Does the Friday $69M number include the Thursday $29M? Or is that pure Friday?

Last edited:
Franchise Opening Weekends

Thor - 65M
Thor: The Dark World - 85M
Thor Ragnarok - 122M
Thor: Love and Thunder - 143M

MCU Opening Weekends

1. Avengers: EG - 357M
2. Spider-Man: NWH - 260M
3. Avengers: IW - 257M
4. Black Panther - 202M
5. Avengers: AOU - 191M
6. Doctor Strange: MOM - 187M
7. Captain America: CW - 179M
8. Iron Man 3 - 174M
9. Captain Marvel - 153M
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 146M
11. Thor: Love and Thunder - 144M

Last edited:
That Saturday number is a bit of an eyebrow raiser.
That would be my guess. Usually you see a drop of 20 to 25% from Saturday to Sunday, but what’s going to probably be more telling is the drop next weekend. Doctor Strange, however, had a big drop but showed really good late legs. I think that indicated that there was a pretty large group of people who really liked the movie and were return viewers. The mixed reviews didn’t seem to affect it after the second week

Probably due to good word of mouth from the folks who saw it Friday and Thursday.

I think the point was that the fall was too big when we compare Love and Thunder with Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Friday numbers include Thursday numbers, so it isn't weird that Saturday numbers are lower, but the difference isn't so big in the case of Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

I think the point was that the fall was too big when we compare Love and Thunder with Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Friday numbers include Thursday numbers, so it isn't weird that Saturday numbers are lower, but the difference isn't so big in the case of Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Gocha. I was commenting on it coming above Deadlines earlier Saturday estimate which had it much lower. They had it below its true Friday gross, but it ended up over.

Gocha. I was commenting on it coming above Deadlines earlier Saturday estimate which had it much lower. They had it below its true Friday gross, but it ended up over.
I didn’t know about that estimate. I was commenting more along the lines of it being above the other movies on Thursday and Friday and dropping well below them on Saturday. 140,000,000+ is not a bad number and will have a better idea next weekend how this is all going to play out.

I thought for sure this would be one of the top earners and make at least $150M OW.

Pretty good opening weekend, specially taking into account the lukewarm reception. The franchise keeps on improving its box office numbers, in this case in particular the opening weekend.

It will be interesting to see how it will perform moving forward. I’ll try and keep an eye on both domestic and international markets. Hopefully it can come close to Ragnarok’s worldwide total.

Pretty good opening weekend, specially taking into account the lukewarm reception. The franchise keeps on improving its box office numbers, in this case in particular the opening weekend.

It will be interesting to see how it will perform moving forward. I’ll try and keep an eye on both domestic and international markets. Hopefully it can come close to Ragnarok’s worldwide total.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Thor: Ragnarok's box office total included over $138M ($112.2M in China, $23.6M in Russia, and $2.4M in Ukraine) from countries L&T didn't open in. That means anything over $715-716M would beat Ragnarok's total from other countries.

On the other hand Ragnarok did those numbers while it was coming after the first film that had a very lukewarm reception and The Dark World which to this day is considered possibly the weakest MCU film. Love and Thunder is coming after Ragnarok which is considered one of the very best, from both critics and audience alike. Plus it has the most popular Marvel character at the moment and a crossover with the entire Guardians cast on top of that.

Initial projections had it at 155-205 million and it did less than the low end numbers. Most importantly Saturday and Sunday numbers were much lower than usual compared to the Friday ones. With the kinds of reactions the film has I don't expect it to have enormous legs like its predecessor or most MCU films. They still are good numbers, but I'm sure they expected more. Let's see how it fairs in the coming weeks to judge how much of a success it actually is.

Franchise Opening Weekends

Thor - 65M
Thor: The Dark World - 85M
Thor Ragnarok - 122M
Thor: Love and Thunder - 143M

MCU Opening Weekends

1. Avengers: EG - 357M
2. Spider-Man: NWH - 260M
3. Avengers: IW - 257M
4. Black Panther - 202M
5. Avengers: AOU - 191M
6. Doctor Strange: MOM - 187M
7. Captain America: CW - 179M
8. Iron Man 3 - 174M
9. Captain Marvel - 153M
10. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 146M
11. Thor: Love and Thunder - 143M
Hopefully Thor films keep getting bigger and bigger openings as they go on, and hopefully there are many more of them.

I haven’t checked it, but my impression is that Thor does very, very well internationally in terms of the percentage domestic to the rest of the world. I always hate to use the word foreign or overseas because it sounds so US centric, but y’all get the idea.

My prediction for Total Box Office Gross

domestic
$300-350 million

worldwide
$700-800 million

Was expecting around 160 - 175 million domestic

Good numbers thats how successful the MCU is where 140 + million is considered on the low end

1st Monday

DS: MOM - 13.6M
Thor: L&T - 12.2M
GOTG 2 - 9.8M
Ragnarok - 8.2M

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95