Thor: Love and Thunder - RATE AND REVIEW THREAD(TAG SPOILERS!)

My opening night, just out of the theater review, I gave it a 9/10. After finally watching it again at home, I'm happy to report that it stays the same! Call me crazy, but this movie is simply incredible. I'll never understand the hate it gets. Best Thor movie. Easily fits into my top 5 MCU movies. Now just waiting on the Blu-ray.

Just saw it on Disney+ for the first time. REALLY enjoyed this one. I honestly didn’t think there were jokes every five seconds like I heard people complain. There were a lot of serious moments too. I think it had a good balance similar to Ragnarok. This film just reignited my crush on Natalie Portman since the Star Wars prequels. Both she and Tessa Thompson have some major guns :hrt:

I loved Ragnarok but I probably loved this one equally, maybe even a bit more so. I just hope Feige and Taika doesn’t take the criticisms too much to heart because I loved the balance between the drama and the humor (and this was definitely more serious than Ragnarok IMO). The only criticism I have is that Christian Bale was kind of underused. Gorr’s story should have been more beefed up and fleshed out. Other than that, the movie was pretty much perfect.

Just saw the film for the very first time. With the exception of a few parts, I thought the film was mostly garbage. Online reports say that the film had a budget of $250 million, yet the final product shows otherwise.

Personally, I don't think Marvel Studios should bring back Taika Waititi for another Thor film. This film was essentially the "Batman & Robin" and "Superman IV" entry of the franchise. "Love and Thunder" feels more like a big budget parody film but with none of the good jokes.

And am I the only one that thinks they reshot Thor's reunion with Jane in New Asgard? It's blatantly obvious that Chris and Natalie were filmed in front of a blue/green screen during certain shots in the sequence. Speaking of bad CGI, I can't believe someone got paid to create that terrible head shot of Heimdall's son while he was communicating with Thor.

I love that Hemsworth made this a family affair. His brother, wife, son, and daughter had cameos. I wonder if his daughter will make more appearances in the future given the ending.

Like I said, add Cap's granddaughter, and we are good to go.

I loved Ragnarok but I probably loved this one equally, maybe even a bit more so. I just hope Feige and Taika doesn’t take the criticisms too much to heart because I loved the balance between the drama and the humor (and this was definitely more serious than Ragnarok IMO). The only criticism I have is that Christian Bale was kind of underused. Gorr’s story should have been more beefed up and fleshed out. Other than that, the movie was pretty much perfect.
I would have liked to see a butchering of Gods phase to build up Gorr’s intimidation factor and give more weight to Zeus avoiding him. I think putting Christian Bale in the film led to some wanting a more serious film so they were more sensitive to jokes than they were on Ragnarok. As you say it keeps the serious parts separate and let’s them hit home before getting silly again. Ragnarok is way less serious but with Blanchett having a more campy style (while being amazing) and not dealing with a subject like cancer might have made coping with the nonstop comedy easier (except for that foundations joke :dry: ).

The thing I find to be so surprising about this movie's reception is people who loved Ragnarok hating this one. I can totally understand those who already disliked the previous movie disliking LaT though.

Yeah I definitely feel like I watched a different movie than everyone else. Lol

That's exactly how I feel. How people can hate on this movie is beyond my understanding. It had everything I look for in a movie; comedy, drama, action, heart, romance, etc. The ending alone, with Thor losing Jane, then promising to look after Gorr's daughter... tugs at the heartstrings every time. It's beautiful.

I loved Ragnarok.
This one i liked and would still gladly watch this over most MCU outings, mostly because Thor is my favorite MCU character and everything surrounding the character, I feel, it’s worthwhile… but the film as a whole is definitely an odd experience between high points, funny and great looking/sounding stuff to puzzling narrative choices, overboard silliness, uneven balance…

I think they could’ve done something much better with the material they had but unfortunately it seemed like there was not enough supervision and a clear/strong directorial vision that could’ve delivered a really great and crowd pleasing final product. Unfortunately a lot of great potential was sadly wasted.

Having said that I’m gladly going to watch it a few more times and let it marinate further. I really hope this isn’t the end for Thor because I would love to follow the character’s future adventures in the MCU.

Well, the end credits did say "Thor will return." I suppose they could mean Mighty Thor... But if that was the case, why not just put "Mighty Thor will return."?

Hemsworth’s son: “Please say it’s not the last movie.”

Hemsworth: “(laughs) We’ll talk to Marvel about that, son.”

Chris Hemsworth Casts Doubt on His Thor Movie Future

07006d7a2c23d60393dd4899bad6240f.gif

I finally saw it on Disney+ and I didn't love it. It was okay. I thought that the setup was good. Gorr's backstory, the updates on Jane, the reintroduction of New Asgard, and the battle with the Guardians. But then things kind of fall apart, almost like they ran out of budget. It goes from a big colorful battle at the start to a boat in space, one room at Omnipotent City that is basically just filler, a black and white shadow planet, and some dark cave thingy with some mediocre action that we've seen in every Thor movie to that point. Compare that to how epic the fights were in Ragnarok and it is a clear downgrade.

There also a big issue in that we just saw this movie done a lot better earlier this year in Multiverse of Madness. The characters arcs for both the hero and the villain are very similar as is the overall structure of the films. Except MoM did it far better. For example, midway through the films the hero gets captured and has to face the ruling elite of the world they are in. In MoM, Strange learns how easily he can fall to temptation and the destruction it could cause, something that is build upon later when he meets the Evil Strange, and it leads to a great scene of Wanda assaulting the place like something out of a horror movie. In L&T, they get a lightning bolt. That doesn't even factor into the story. Throughout the movie, I just always had the feeling that I had just seen this done better.

So we get a movie carried by the performances and the humor, and that does work. But there is not much substance underneath that. Like I said, it is okay. I can watch it as a popcorn flick and have an entertaining enough couple of hours. It is TDW with a better villain, basically. 6/10

I would have liked to see a butchering of Gods phase to build up Gorr’s intimidation factor and give more weight to Zeus avoiding him.

Yes, all of that happens off-screen. We only see him actually kill one god and that's in the prologue. We are told about how much of a threat he is, but we don't really see it and I think that was a mistake.

So I'd had a few when I watched this the other night which resulted in me calling this 'a parody' in a post above.

I'd like to apologise to anyone who I may have misled. I've watched the film again and it's much much worse when sober. I do like the space sheep. It's a bad parody.

So I'd had a few when I watched this the other night which resulted in me calling this 'a parody' in a post above.

I'd like to apologise to anyone who I may have misled. I've watched the film again and it's much much worse when sober. I do like the space sheep. It's a bad parody.
Space sheep. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"