**OFFICIAL** Thor: Love & thunder spoilers thread

Look at it this way, it was just an innocent comment by Korg, he doesn’t know Asgard or it’s people and that’s actually a trait of Korg’s personality to casually call out stuff as he sees it. It definitely was a lighthearted moment in what was otherwise a serious beat.

Love & Thunder isn’t Ragnarok. One was able to strike a much better balance and had a more cohesive and engaging story.

Hela wasn’t a joke either. She was played as straight as Gorr was actually.

The overall difference was that Taika basically wrote a comedy from the ground up with TLT instead of adapting and injecting his own brand of humor to a more serious script as was done in Ragnarok. I feel like Taika gave in to a lot of his own worst instincts and wasn’t supervised enough to the point where he got carried away with the humor and silliness and didn’t have a good grasp on the whole picture, hence the somewhat disjointed feel of the film.

Even though I still argue the film has a lot of merits, just that the thing as a whole was nowhere near as well executed as Ragnarok was.

Truth, Korg still annoys me in Love and Thunder though. I liked him a lot more in Ragnarok, Taika just went overboard with him in this film to the point where Korg was downright disrespectful as points.

Look at it this way, it was just an innocent comment by Korg, he doesn’t know Asgard or it’s people and that’s actually a trait of Korg’s personality to casually call out stuff as he sees it. It definitely was a lighthearted moment in what was otherwise a serious beat.

Love & Thunder isn’t Ragnarok. One was able to strike a much better balance and had a more cohesive and engaging story.

Hela wasn’t a joke either. She was played as straight as Gorr was actually.

The overall difference was that Taika basically wrote a comedy from the ground up with TLT instead of adapting and injecting his own brand of humor to a more serious script as was done in Ragnarok. I feel like Taika gave in to a lot of his own worst instincts and wasn’t supervised enough to the point where he got carried away with the humor and silliness and didn’t have a good grasp on the whole picture, hence the somewhat disjointed feel of the film.

Even though I still argue the film has a lot of merits, just that the thing as a whole was nowhere near as well executed as Ragnarok was.

TBH I think the humour is almost 1:1 consistent between to the two movies. If you watch Ragnarok again, all of the comedic pacing of the film, right up until before Hela shows up, it kinda has the same feel as the first half of L&T. It's a little unfocused, very silly, not ever really settling into anything dramatic and juicy. The difference is, once Hela destroys Thor's hammer, we get a great tonal change and Thor is given a really clear and solid goal, that the audience gets behind. From there on, the humour is mostly fine because because it's supporting a clear narrative goal.

So I think the biggest divergence is the narrative stakes in Ragnarok are much higher, much earlier on. For Love and Thunder, I think the absolute biggest stakes are Jane's cancer. It hits hard the moment you realise her situation, and then it hits even harder by the 2nd half when Thor learns of it. The problem is, in the middle there, because Jane is keeping it a secret, we're not really doing anything with those stakes. The other narrative stakes are Gorr using his wish to kill all gods, but yeah, we learn that SO late and have no attachment to the other gods, it doesn't quite feel as important. Compared to Ragnarok, which was all about saving Asgard, Thor learning his true power, writing wrongs etc.

That said, I still really liked what Taika tried to do with this film. I don't think it's totally fair to compare it to Ragnarok completely because I think both were exploring very different narrative ideas. I kind of thing the whole point of Love and Thunder WAS to be very light and silly... Because what's hidden underneath that is the very real tragedy of Jane. The film itself is kind of a mirror of how both Thor and Jane are choosing to hide their pain. Thor is masking his clear depression with "Classic Thor Adventures" and Jane is doing the same. By the end of the film, I feel like I'd picked up exactly what Taika was putting down.

But yeah, I think people tearing apart the jokes are under the impression that the jokes in love and Thunder are worse than Ragnarok but I think it's just the comedy pacing. There was just too much back to back silliness I think that could've been beefed up with some more drama/narrative in between it. I think silliness feeding off of drama is the sweet spot, but silliness feeding off of silliness gets tiring.

For me, the #1 thing I would've changed would be to lose the Guardians stuff (or at least cut in half), and have Thor and Jane connect sooner. Have Thor discover about the cancer sooner and make the film way more about the two of them. I do love Valkyrie but she didn't have much to do and I think the story would've been stronger if they'd just committed to her and Korg having smaller roles.

A Thor and Jane solo road trip through other worlds together could've been really sweet and I think had a bit more focus.

TBH I think the humour is almost 1:1 consistent between to the two movies. If you watch Ragnarok again, all of the comedic pacing of the film, right up until before Hela shows up, it kinda has the same feel as the first half of L&T. It's a little unfocused, very silly, not ever really settling into anything dramatic and juicy. The difference is, once Hela destroys Thor's hammer, we get a great tonal change and Thor is given a really clear and solid goal, that the audience gets behind. From there on, the humour is mostly fine because because it's supporting a clear narrative goal.

So I think the biggest divergence is the narrative stakes in Ragnarok are much higher, much earlier on. For Love and Thunder, I think the absolute biggest stakes are Jane's cancer. It hits hard the moment you realise her situation, and then it hits even harder by the 2nd half when Thor learns of it. The problem is, in the middle there, because Jane is keeping it a secret, we're not really doing anything with those stakes. The other narrative stakes are Gorr using his wish to kill all gods, but yeah, we learn that SO late and have no attachment to the other gods, it doesn't quite feel as important. Compared to Ragnarok, which was all about saving Asgard, Thor learning his true power, writing wrongs etc.

That said, I still really liked what Taika tried to do with this film. I don't think it's totally fair to compare it to Ragnarok completely because I think both were exploring very different narrative ideas. I kind of thing the whole point of Love and Thunder WAS to be very light and silly... Because what's hidden underneath that is the very real tragedy of Jane. The film itself is kind of a mirror of how both Thor and Jane are choosing to hide their pain. Thor is masking his clear depression with "Classic Thor Adventures" and Jane is doing the same. By the end of the film, I feel like I'd picked up exactly what Taika was putting down.

But yeah, I think people tearing apart the jokes are under the impression that the jokes in love and Thunder are worse than Ragnarok but I think it's just the comedy pacing. There was just too much back to back silliness I think that could've been beefed up with some more drama/narrative in between it. I think silliness feeding off of drama is the sweet spot, but silliness feeding off of silliness gets tiring.

For me, the #1 thing I would've changed would be to lose the Guardians stuff (or at least cut in half), and have Thor and Jane connect sooner. Have Thor discover about the cancer sooner and make the film way more about the two of them. I do love Valkyrie but she didn't have much to do and I think the story would've been stronger if they'd just committed to her and Korg having smaller roles.

A Thor and Jane solo road trip through other worlds together could've been really sweet and I think had a bit more focus.
tumblr_mlp1htUzzS1qe5ugfo7_250.gifv

One thing that would definitely help in balancing out the humor would be to add more serious characters that Thor could bounce off. Because if they’re all supposed to be funny then other jokes don’t land as much and you start to pin point who’s the weaker links and the film itself looses a lot of its weight.

In Ragnarok for example we had Doctor Strange, Odin, Heimdall, Valkyrie, Topaz, Surtur, Fenris, Hela… those all served to, one way or the other, add a layer of seriousness and weight to the story.

In TLT there’s Gorr and that’s basically it. Zeus is a stand in for a Grandmaster like character. Otherwise we sort of have Valkyrie which has become more fun and Jane which was also leaning into the humor/silliness at times.

So yeh even though I thoroughly enjoyed the film I feel like there needs to be a better balance moving forward. And I hope Hercules is a tad more serious so he can balance out Thor’s more comedic approach. I would also love to see a totally serious, all business approach when bringing in Beta Ray Bill into the mix, again so he can play off Thor’s own strengths in the comedic department.

My problem is that in Thor: Ragnarok, Thor didn't even mourn the losses of his closest friends. Could've had a nice moment there with Heimdall where he's like, "What happened to the Warrior's Three?" And we could see that devastation and desperation for Thor. It was even less than fridging.

And literally no mention of Sif either? And now Sif is back and it's a complete and total afterthought.

But tonally and in terms of humor, I think Ragnarok and Love & Thunder are stylistically fairly consistent. The biggest difference is that Gorr is played fairly straight, no nonsense, and no comedy.

I don't really see much of a difference in Thor in the first two Avengers films and the first two Thor films, what makes Thor 1's characterization any different than Avengers 1 Thor, AOU Thor or Dark World Thor?

They all had pretty much the same characterization.

Late response here. The difference from Thor 1 compared to those is the general tone of the character, the language he uses, and the general attitude he has.

He does not seem like someone from Earth. He SPEAKS like someone from another realm.

He loses that after Avengers 1, imo.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is THE non-comic book representation of Thor all live action versions of the character should be modeled after. Thor can be funny as Thor.

They've grounded him and Taiki has turned him into Nandor from WWDIS...which is a blast of a show btw.

Late response here. The difference from Thor 1 compared to those is the general tone of the character, the language he uses, and the general attitude he has.

He does not seem like someone from Earth. He SPEAKS like someone from another realm.

He loses that after Avengers 1, imo.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is THE non-comic book representation of Thor all live action versions of the character should be modeled after. Thor can be funny as Thor.

They've grounded him and Taiki has turned him into Nandor from WWDIS...which is a blast of a show btw.

Oh okay yeah he did stop speaking as Shakespearean as he did in Thor and The Avengers and yes Earth's Mightiest Heroes Thor is the best non comic book version of Thor I say that all the time.

Did anyone notice that one of the kids Thor empowered was a Falligarian, so a Falligar the Behemoth - like creature… how awesome would that be if the kid/creature actually grown to be the main sucessor to Falligar himself.

It would be pretty awesome to see a flying creature like that hovering around New Asgard. He’s also basically Falkor from Never Ending Story.

It just suddenly hit me that LAT and WW84 are shockingly similar. Think about it: both are about the main hero reuniting with their long-lost love interest. Both movie's villains' plans revolve around a wishing MacGuffin. Both are super cheesy and camp. The hero's love interest dies at the end of both movies and the the villains in both movies have a last minute change of heart brought about by being reminded of their child. Like: are we SURE Taika and Patty Jenkins weren't sharing notes?

It just suddenly hit me that LAT and WW84 are shockingly similar. Think about it: both are about the main hero reuniting with their long-lost love interest. Both movie's villains' plans revolve around a wishing MacGuffin. Both are super cheesy and camp. The hero's love interest dies at the end of both movies and the the villains in both movies have a last minute change of heart brought about by being reminded of their child. Like: are we SURE Taika and Patty Jenkins weren't sharing notes?
Ha, that is quite a lot of coincidental similarities.

And the trailers for both movies had a great 80s soundtrack (though the soundtrack for the L&T movie featured those song and also had great original compositions)

Saw it earlier today. Question I have about the ending for other people who have seen it: (SPOILERS for the ending of the movie).
I wonder. Does anyone else think Love (daughter of Gorr, child of Eternity and adoptive daughter of Thor) seems like she might be (or might become) the MCU's version of Singularity? I mean she has powers now. And with that reflection in the realm of Eternity... Right?
5124971-singularity.jpg

Also, I like to keep track of all the characters from the comics that have appeared in the MCU... I really need to go over the part with the gathering of gods again to see if I can figure out who they all are...

. . . she is meant to be a version of Thor Girl/Tarene/The Designate, instead.

Thor Girl - Wikipedia

It’s a peculiar choice to introduce a character like that “Love” into the MCU and the Thor franchise. I wonder what’s the thought process and how could that impact the MCU moving forward.

She is a very peculiar character, with a particular set of skills and from a very interesting background, with Gorr being her father and Eternity bringing her to life, also she somehow is super-powered with what seems like the power of the All Black… almost like Gorr asked to be that way when she came back plus the “magical dust” from Eternity likely gives her some impressive abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"