**OFFICIAL** Thor: Love & thunder spoilers thread

Great analogy and its a shame really this was Marvels Chance to put Thor in the forefront with no Tony and Steve and basically made him a parody. Hopefully Thor vs Hercules in the 5th one delivers but they need to put restraints on Taika
Or just remove Taika altogether.
They all didn’t sound like they were trying to be Tony Stark
Strange is trying to be Tony Stark. I don't know wtf Thor was trying to be honestly.
This is the kind of thing where too much creative control isn't always a good thing. There were plenty of times during the movie where I thought that Taika should have been reined in a bit. Let Korg be gay but don't muddle the continuity, however minuscule it may be.
Disregarding the continuity from Ragnarok, can you even classify Korg as gay, since if his entire species is males and that's how their species procreate.
There is a hint of it during the Thor/Jane flashback sequence, when Korg says that Thor started looking forward to the future, and it shows him looking through a window and seeing a reflection of a child in a pram.
Also, seeing how Immigrant Song from Ragnarok was basically spoiling what was going to happen to the Asgardians at the end, Sweet Child 'O Mine should've been a massive clue that Thor was probably gonna end up with a kid in some way.
I hate the daughter angle.

I know they're trying to give him something new to do - but it's one of those obvious Disney mandates that are going to keep coming up in these films. I mean let's face it, is there ever a time we're going to see her really in danger when in battle? No. Just like in all the SW shows (Baby Grogu, Luke & Leia) it's going to just be chase scenes over and over again or fights with little weight to them.
I think with all these films and shows bringing in a new protege, it's pretty obvious that Disney is trying to make a Young/Next-gen Avengers happen, whether it feels forced or not.

Btw saw a couple of clutch comments on another forum - one of them said "Gorr the God Off-Screener" - which was so true. The other pointed out how Gorr's purpose suddenly changed in the 3rd act from killing Gods to suddenly seeking Eternity to bring back his daughter. That hadn't occurred to me and just more proof (for me at least) of how terrible the screenwriting was for this movie.
His purpose didn't change until Thor and Jane convinced him in the last second. He was intent on making his god killing wish until the very end before he had a change of heart.

I'm seeing people I know on Facebook and Twitter absolutely SHRED Love and Thunder.

It wasnt natural and definitely wasnt earned. It was very shoe-ind.
I don't get this at all. It was very much the culmination of Thor's entire journey here. He's looking for a love that will give him something to live for. He thinks that it's Jane, but after her sacrifice, he comes to find it in 'Love' (or whatever her actual name is decided to be)

I think it's a great direction for the character to go in. It makes for a good endpoint if he doesn't return but also a compelling narrative if Taika and Hemsworth return to close off their trilogy. Thor struggling to be a dad while grappling with the legacy of his own father (Something Hercules & potentially Ares can certainly relate to) is a great set-up for a movie.

This is the same guy who made Jojo Rabbit which was amazing and had like the perfect balance of humor and drama so obviously he's more than capable of making a more serious/higher stakes film.

The real question is will he since its still looking like this movie is going to be a success for the studio despite the more mixed reactions compared to Ragnarok, but I'm honestly not betting on that at all.

I see that the usual hate mongering bunch is out in full swing trying to capitalize on a misstep by Taika.

Many of whom already hated Ragnarok, so this served as the perfect stage for their crusades, specially certain allied to a specific fan base that could never get over his Ragnarok success over their beloved failed proprieties.

So yeh, enjoy the limelight as long as it lasts but remember, what goes around does eventually come back around.

It just hit me... Thor correcting his father's legacy; Odin stole Loki (from an enemy) as a future bargaining piece - created a villain. Thor embraced an enemy's child, Love - creating a new brighter future for Asgard.

Pretty rad.

Was there one? I assume you mean the Celestial One Above All and not the One-Above-All that is literally God, since the latter doesn't have a defined appearance. I think the hall had Eternity at the end, on its right side it went Living Tribunal, Uatu the Watcher, Arishem (whose statue was destroyed) and then the left side was Death, Eon, Infinity.

Loved seeing Eternity and that was pretty mind blowing to me.
Did you guys saw the statue of the One Above All?

Oh no you're right. The destroyed celestial statue was the One Above All. It's just confusing because they gave him the same 6 round eyes that Eson has, that they gave Arishem, and that the apparent Celestial Gardener at Omnipotence City also has. It seems to have become a common feature among Celestials.

It just hit me... Thor correcting his father's legacy; Odin stole Loki (from an enemy) as a future bargaining piece - created a villain. Thor embraced an enemy's child, Love - creating a new brighter future for Asgard.

Pretty rad.

That's bad ass and it just dawned on me like a few days, I'm going to see Love and Thunder again later today btw.

I see that the usual hate mongering bunch is out in full swing trying to capitalize on a misstep by Taika.

Many of whom already hated Ragnarok, so this served as the perfect stage for their crusades, specially certain allied to a specific fan base that could never get over his Ragnarok success over their beloved failed proprieties.

So yeh, enjoy the limelight as long as it lasts but remember, what goes around does eventually come back around.

True, and I don't even consider this a misstep tbh.

Pretty rad.
Love that, good take :up:

Raganarok is my favourite MCU movie of all. I love it because of its perfectly timed humour.
But this just didn’t do it for me.

Last edited:
Who is the usual hate mongering bunch?

Watched Love and Thunder again yesterday, it was MUCH better on rewatch and the first half is much less jarring.

Doesn't feel like a parody as much.
I can’t wait to see it again too. There’s so much stuff that I want to see again, specially revolving around Thor and Gorr, the action, the humorous and the dramatic beats.

I’ve come to realize that in general Taika’s films actually get better upon rewatch. :yay:

May increase my score to a 7.5 instead of a flat 7 (was probably closer to a 6.5 originally though).

One thing Taika knows how to do is make a rewatchable film.

Was it just me that appreciated that flying spinning kick from Thor at the begging of the film? Effortlessly cool.

Was it just me that appreciated that flying spinning kick from Thor at the begging of the film? Effortlessly cool.

Nah it's not just you it's probably one of my top 5 favorite non weapon melee attacks from Thor in the entire MCU. I always wanted to see Thor physically take on a large tank like vehicle with his bare hands (or this case his feet).

In Age of Ultron when Thor flipped that tank people were like "Oh that's just because of the hammer" as if the hammer doesn't need the user to generate the force. Well now that dumb theory has been debunked.

Last edited:

I absolutely adore Ragnarok it's one of my favourite MCU movies.

L&T just did not work for me.

A few pages back people were like "How did Gorr know he needed the bifrost to open the gates of Eternity?". Well at the beginning of the film the Necrosword told him around the time he killed that jerk god in the oasis.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Taika coming back if it’s more Ragnarok than L&T. The humor needs to be natural to the story, not lame jokes that add nothing to it.

Thor: Ragnarok turned the destruction of Asgard into a literal comedic gag for Korg. Surtur, an ultimate villain and evil from Thor's Rogues Gallery was mostly treated as the butt of a joke.

Surtur: "This is my crown! The source of my power!"

Thor: "That's a crown? I thought it was a big eyebrow."

Surtur: "It's a crown!"

Thor: Ragnarok turned the destruction of Asgard into a literal comedic gag for Korg. Surtur, an ultimate villain and evil from Thor's Rogues Gallery was mostly treated as the butt of a joke.

Surtur: "This is my crown! The source of my power!"

Thor: "That's a crown? I thought it was a big eyebrow."

Surtur: "It's a crown!"

I thought Surtur was pretty great. That was just when he was weak and de powered. I thought he was pretty great when he was at full power. Growing out of Asgard’s palace, swapping Hulk like a fly, laying waste to Asgard with his giant sword, laughing and talking **** while doing it, plus the fight against Hela and the way he obliterated her and Asgard.

“I am Asgard’s Doom!”

“Tremble before me Asgard, I am your reckoning!”

I thought Surtur was pretty great. That was just when he was weak and de powered. I thought he was pretty great when he was at full power. Growing out of Asgard’s palace, swapping Hulk like a fly, laying waste to Asgard with his giant sword, laughing and talking **** while doing it, plus the fight against Hela and the way he obliterated her and Asgard.

“I am Asgard’s Doom!”

“Tremble before me Asgard, I am your reckoning!”

His death and the annihilation of Asgard was passed off as a comedic joke.

So I ask, how is Love and Thunder worse in this regard? Gorr was played fairly straight and serious. The only joke he made was when he was messing with the children.

Love and Thunder played from the same style of playbook as Ragnarok in terms of the humor and comedy. Except this time, the villain wasn't a joke and was fairly no-nonsense.

His death and the annihilation of Asgard was passed off as a comedic joke.

So I ask, how is Love and Thunder worse in this regard? Gorr was played fairly straight and serious. The only joke he made was when he was messing with the children.

Love and Thunder played from the same style of playbook as Ragnarok in terms of the humor and comedy. Except this time, the villain wasn't a joke and was fairly no-nonsense.
Look at it this way, it was just an innocent comment by Korg, he doesn’t know Asgard or it’s people and that’s actually a trait of Korg’s personality to casually call out stuff as he sees it. It definitely was a lighthearted moment in what was otherwise a serious beat.

Love & Thunder isn’t Ragnarok. One was able to strike a much better balance and had a more cohesive and engaging story.

Hela wasn’t a joke either. She was played as straight as Gorr was actually.

The overall difference was that Taika basically wrote a comedy from the ground up with TLT instead of adapting and injecting his own brand of humor to a more serious script as was done in Ragnarok. I feel like Taika gave in to a lot of his own worst instincts and wasn’t supervised enough to the point where he got carried away with the humor and silliness and didn’t have a good grasp on the whole picture, hence the somewhat disjointed feel of the film.

Even though I still argue the film has a lot of merits, just that the thing as a whole was nowhere near as well executed as Ragnarok was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"