• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Three DC Universe animated movies slated for release in 2011 announced

I'd love to see The Demon animated, or how about a Kamandi The Last Boy On Earth, and of course the New Gods.

They shouldn't be shorts though, these characters deserve the full animated movie treatment!

Yes, I think Jack Kirbys characters would make absolutely great animated movies!

My life would be more complete with Superman: Red Son Animated movie. This, by far is still my most favorite Superman story of all time.

Has animating "Identity Crisis" ever been considered? If not, why not?
Or "Batman: Hush"?

I'd love to see a Creeper animated short. Or Hawkman. Or Donna Troy.

I'd like to see a TRINITY film, done well, with major edits to the plot. Bruce Timm can pull this off.

Totally boring!

These characters have been done already, especially Superman and Batman, they've been done, redone and overdone!

Bring on the New Gods!

I have to say, I'm absolutely salivating at the prospect of a BATMAN: YEAR ONE adaptation. I'll be hanging out for casting announcements with great anticipation - I assume Bob Hastings won't be coming back as Jim Gordon. John Slattery would make a fine choice for the part. Hell, they may as well just transfer the whole Mad Men cast over:
Batman - Jon Hamm
Jim Gordon - John Slattery
Gill Loeb - Robert Morse
Catwoman - Christina Hendricks
Alfred - Jared Harris

I'd quite like to see Jeremy Sisto return as Batman, based on his all too brief (but stellar) work in JL: NEW FRONTIER. Hell, a part of me would like to hear Conroy have a crack at it. I'd killer to hear him tackle that speech at the Mayor's mansion.

The biggest question is - whither narration? The internal monologues of Loeb stories have been dispensed with for both BATMAN/SUPERMAN movies. Will they do the same for YEAR ONE? I'd hope they might retain at least a portion, as Miller puts some of his best writing in there ('Just enough to keep him out of the hospital...', etc.).

The idea of adapting GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT as a short strikes me as a little odd. It's meaty enough for a 75-minute feature. They'll have to jettison an awful lot of the story to abridge it to the required length. Still, I'm thrilled at the prospect of seeing one of my favourite Batman tales animated. I just hope they ape the gorgeously atmospheric art style.

Here's what's known about the creative teams for next year's releases so far:

All-Star Superman (22nd February 2011)

Directed by Sam Liu (director of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Planet Hulk; co-director of Hulk Vs and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths)
Written by Dwayne McDuffie (writer of Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths and numerous DCAU episodes)
Music by Christopher Drake (composer on Wonder Woman, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Batman: Under the Red Hood; co-composer on Batman: Gotham Knight)

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights (7th June 2011)

Directed by Chris Berkeley (TV director making his DTV directorial debut here), Lauren Montgomery (director of Wonder Woman, Green Lantern: First Flight and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse; co-director of Superman: Doomsday and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths) and Jay Oliva (director of Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow; co-director of The Invincible Iron Man and Doctor Strange)
Music by Christopher Drake

It's been revealed that Abin Sur, Kilowog, and Sinestro will be three of the Green Lanterns featured in the half-dozen or so segments. There will also be a connecting storyline between each segment that it's said will feature just about every Green Lantern you can think of.

Batman: Year One (27th September 2011)

Directed by Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery
Written by Tab Murphy (writer of Superman/Batman: Apocalypse)

I hope the GL: Emerald Knights movie ties into the live action movie alot better than Gotham Knight did with TDK.

So, are they going to keep doing the DC animated shorts with the new films coming out? I'm guessing so, but I'm not sure so I figured I'd ask.

Nothing's been confirmed, but I'm guessing that they will continue.

Fan Reaction has been nothing but positive towards them, that leads me to believe they will.

I think it depends on how well the DVD containing all the shorts sells as well. Bruce Timm said that is how WB is trying to make their money back on the shorts, with the DVD of all of them put together.

I think it depends on how well the DVD containing all the shorts sells as well. Bruce Timm said that is how WB is trying to make their money back on the shorts, with the DVD of all of them put together.
Yeah, Lauren Montgomery said the same thing in a recent interview. As far as she knows, no more shorts have been made yet. Whether more are made and included on next year's releases will depend on sales of the compilation release in November.

I really cant wait to see Batman: Year One. The past adaptations have done a good job of mixing the original artwork with a good animated style. I cant wait to see what they do with Mazzucchelli's work.

Yeah, I'm jazzed for Batman: Year One, too. While promoting Superman/Batman: Apocalypse both Bruce Timm and Lauren Montgomery were asked about Year One and they said they didn't have to cut anything, either in terms of adult content or for length. They said it's a very faithful adaptation and they got the whole storyline in. They used a lot of dialogue straight from the comics, too.

I am sorry. Most of these animated movies are thoroughly mediocre. They should animate new storylines that take advantage of the medium.

I am sorry. But you're wrong. :o

I am sorry. But you're wrong. :o

The comic counterparts are always stronger.

And wouldn't you rather see original stories? There is a reason MOTP is still their best feature lengh work.

I wouldnt mind if they did 2 adaptions and an original story or vice versa.

A lot of people prefer the movie adaptation of Under the Red Hood to the comic it's based on.

Not me. Mainly for the horrible representation of Black Mask as the loud-mouthed comic relief.

Jensen Ackles made a great Jason Todd, and NPH was great as usual in his brief scenes; rest of the voice cast was meh.

I agree. Adaptations are great and all but something that is brand new would would be a good change up.

Well, next year is two adaptations and an original (Green Lantern: Emerald Knights). Plus, all of the DC Showcase shorts have been originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"