• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

DC 2012 DTVs

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
2012 DC DTV movies listed

The previously-announced Justice League: Doom is slated to be the first DC Universe Animated Original Movie title released in 2012. The animated movie, written by the late Dwayne McDuffie, is set to be a loose adaptation of the fan-favorite JLA: Tower of Babel storyline written by Mark Waid.

Set for a mid-2012 release is Superman Versus The Elite. No official details on this animated feature have been released at this time, though some speculate the movie will be based on the acclaimed one-shot Superman: What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way, originally published in Action Comics #775.

Lastly, the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line will tackle its first two-part release with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. The two-part animated feature adapts the acclaimed, popular comic mini-series of the same name by Frank Miller. Both parts are expected to be released within the 2012 calendar year, likely to tie into both the theatrical and home video release of the upcoming live-action film The Dark Knight Rises, but that is currently unconfirmed.

According to executive producer Bruce Timm, he states the two-part Batman: The Dark Knight Returns animated feature will be very faithful to the source material. The above details were revealed during discussion panel following the San Diego Comic-Con debut of Batman: Year One on Friday, July 22nd, 2011.

Very excited to see an Action themed Superman movie with great morals, now i would be excited as hell for TDKR because it has Conroy voicing an Old Batman and so forth, but it's in 2-parts? I'm sorry but who on earth is interested in investing 40 dollars for 150 minutes of footage? I'm sorry but who is?!

Would it have been too hard to have just made DKR longer instead of two parts?

Im so tired of these DTVs at this moment. When DC/WB decide to stop shoving Batman/Superman up our throats, ill be happy. Of course it probably wont happen.

2012 DC DTV movies listed

Very excited to see an Action themed Superman movie with great morals, now i would be excited as hell for TDKR because it has Conroy voicing an Old Batman and so forth, but it's in 2-parts? I'm sorry but who on earth is interested in investing 40 dollars for 150 minutes of footage? I'm sorry but who is?!

It's a big book, if splitting it means we get more of the story I'm down with it.

Not like it'll be hard to save $40 in a years time either.

I'm very happy they are making Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as a two-part movie, thus allowing it to be very faithful to the source material by making it 150 minutes long, instead of cutting out so much of the story in order to try to squeeze it all down into just the 75 minutes time requirement for each film.

Last edited:
It's a big book, if splitting it means we get more of the story I'm down with it.

Not like it'll be hard to save $40 in a years time either.

It's not about saving money it's about investing money. You can ge tthe LOTR Extended edition Blu-ray for alittle over 40 bucks and it packs alot more than just 150 minutes and approx 1 hour of bonus footage at the end of the day.

I just don't see the general audience being willing to pay for something like this

Interesting. I wonder where part one will end.

I'd rather they do this than to have to butcher the story to make it fit a 75 minute frame. DKR is epic and deserves the space. I am not too worried about whether people want to buy it, it's Batman for godsake.

It's not about saving money it's about investing money. You can ge tthe LOTR Extended edition Blu-ray for alittle over 40 bucks and it packs alot more than just 150 minutes and approx 1 hour of bonus footage at the end of the day.

I just don't see the general audience being willing to pay for something like this

I don't really like that comparison as the LOTR films have been available for years now while this is something brand new. It makes sense that that'll have more bang for the buck. I feel like they've done a pretty nice job with the extras on these dtvs too. I've watched the bonus BTAS episodes that came with Red Hood numerous times. Combined with the Hex short I definitely feel I got my $20 worth.

I can see your point to some extent though. I know many people here will complain about price and watch it on YT but those same people do that anyway with these movies. I think the moms in Wal-Mart will still grab these up for their kids, ignoring the graphic content as it's Batman, and that's where it'll make money. I'm positive the Dark Knight Rises hype will help it as well.

Interesting. I wonder where part one will end.

I'm certain that Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part-one will feature the first two chapters of the story: Batman coming out of retirement, Batman versus Two-Face, the introduction of the Carrie Kelley Robin and Batman versus the Mutants gang, so part-one will end here:
batmantdkr2103thedarkkn.jpg

I'd rather they do this than to have to butcher the story to make it fit a 75 minute frame. DKR is epic and deserves the space. I am not too worried about whether people want to buy it, it's Batman for godsake.
Exactly.

If general audiences like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part-one, which will of course feature the first two chapters of the story, they will want to get Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part-two, the last two chapters of the story, especially since that one will feature Batman versus the Joker, the death of the Joker, Batman versus the police, and Batman versus Superman.

I hope Bryan Cranston returns as Gordon in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and I hope they get Michael Ironside to voice Batman in this since he was spot on as the Dark Knight Returns Batman in the "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode of Batman: The Animated Series, as well as Anndi McAfee as Carrie Kelley/Robin.

Last edited:
A little on the cheap side to split this up, but given the circumstances that Timm described regarding budget and time restraints, it's a very nice solution for the fans. If DKR is a hit, which it probably will be, this is going to open up doors for the other known epic stories to be released in a two-partner format.

150 minutes is a great time to fit all the big stuff in, while streamlining much of the filler. Very excited for this. :up:

I'm sorry, but if they can make Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, they can CERTAINLY make The Killing Joke. It better ****ing happen.

Good announcements, but I would have liked something based off Flash: Born to Run and Green Arrow: Year One.

I hope Bryan Cranston returns as Gordon in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and I hope they get Michael Ironside to voice Batman in this since he was spot on as the Dark Knight Returns Batman in the "Legends of the Dark Knight" episode of Batman: The Animated Series, as well as Anndi McAfee as Carrie Kelley/Robin.

Nah they already confirmed Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman and Mark Hamill is Joker. Conroy's Old Bat voice is pretty good, but he needs to change it more menacing like Michael Ironside's voice.
I'm sorry, but if they can make Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, they can CERTAINLY make The Killing Joke. It better ****ing happen.

That'd be sucha boring movie consider it's just Joker talking and talking, i can't see that as a DTV considering the movie would be so focused on inner narration by the Joker. It could work as a motion comic easily tho.

Nah they already confirmed Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman and Mark Hamill is Joker.

Where? Source? I've seen no confirmation of that. Andrea Romano said that they would consider using fan favorites Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill for the voices of Batman and the Joker, not that they had actually been cast.
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/118/1183821p1.html

Last edited:
Seriously WB...enough with Batman, Superman, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill...I love them all however your franchise needs to expand! If they are feeling that Bats and Sups are the only two heores they can count on for storytelling (whether in animation or live-action) then start doing some team-ups...introduce the rest of the DC Universe... And yes, both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill have 'defined' their character voices however there should be room for others like they have demonstrated in the past...

It's a expected list of heroes they're focusing since the DTV focusing on the other heroes like WW unfortunately doesn't sell well and the Batman, Superman and Justice League DTV do sell. It makes sense, yes it does suck but it makes sense. They had the Green Lantern DTV because he had a movie coming out, so everytime a new DC superhero that's not Batman or Superman gets a movie it has a higher chance to get a DTV too. It's a shame that's how it works, but I'm looking forward to some of those, particularly to see how TDKR will be handled, interesting that's releasing in two parts.

Wonder Woman did sell. It made a profit but WB are greedy asses and rather than build from that they decided the profits weren't good enough.

WW sold better than the 1st GL movie and the 2nd GL movie sold Under the Red Hood numbers becauseof the live action movie, but WW didn't sell as fast as Superman/Batman/JL so thats the real reasoning behind it.

I thought Hamill retired his Joker role after Arkham City?

Hamil has been walking back from that comment. He keeps saying that was misunderstood, or something.

Wonder Woman did sell. It made a profit but WB are greedy asses and rather than build from that they decided the profits weren't good enough.
Easy to say when it's not your money being spent. Profit isn't enough, there has to be enough evidence suggesting that you not only have a solid demographic, but future installments will ensure that the group grows. Simply making back the budget and a little change isn't that reassuring. Timm himself has attested to this.

Blame the fans for not buying.

I thought Hamill retired his Joker role after Arkham City?
He clarified that he was only exclaiming how great AC is, and that he would need incentive to come back to that role. Otherwise, it isn't worth it for him. He wants his Joker to leave on top, and not come to a point where it is tired and unwanted.

As long as he keeps getting great scripts, he's not retiring.

Great...

They decide to split Miller's over-rated trash into 2 parts... but not The New Frontier or All Star Superman.

Let's hope the talent behind it is worth something so I can get excited about it.

Where? Source? I've seen no confirmation of that. Andrea Romano said that they would consider using fan favorites Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill for the voices of Batman and the Joker, not that they had actually been cast.
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/118/1183821p1.html

If they're going to be doing The Dark Knight Returns the way they're doing Batman: Year One (i.e. an absurdly faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's story), they shouldn't get Kevin Conroy to do the voice. Since Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are in the same continuity, they should make Batman sound like a more refined and older version Ben McKenzie's Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"