DC Universe - Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis

It's a shame this animated movie didn't measure up to the original story. There's only so much that can be shown in 70 minutes, so superfluous additions like green lantern, flash and shazam needed to be taken out in order to flesh out Aquaman. Oh well.

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. And it pretty much solidifies my feelings on the DCau quality going down. They were a lot better when they adapted classic storylines. Here's to hoping BvR turns out better than the last batman feature. have they said what else they're doing after that?

Finally got around to watching this yesterday. And it pretty much solidifies my feelings on the DCau quality going down. They were a lot better when they adapted classic storylines. Here's to hoping BvR turns out better than the last batman feature. have they said what else they're doing after that?

I still think the New 52 universe is partly to blame....I just don't like the character changes. I mean, I like some of the looks...Cyborg looks cool. But their personalities are just not that enjoyable.

Out of 22 films, only 4 have been based on anything "classic" (before the year 2000): the rest of the DCAU films are based on what was then current continuity (post infinite crisis) or on New 52. Please clarify your position, because in technical terms, most DCAU films are based on newer continuity.

Out of 22 films, only 4 have been based on anything "classic" (before the year 2000): the rest of the DCAU films are based on what was then current continuity (post infinite crisis) or on New 52. Please clarify your position, because in technical terms, most DCAU films are based on newer continuity.

To clarify, most what they've been doing post new 52 has been pretty harsh.

They really need to rethink making a series because this fickle continuity by way of dtv is pretty stupid imo.
If this was a show, even with all it's flaws there would be alot more leeway in terms of character work and expectations...

All in my opinion, but here's how I rank the DC Animated films.

Blue = Amazing
Black = Okay
Red = Awful

Superman: Doomsday
Justice League: The New Frontier

Batman: Gotham Knight
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern: First Flight
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
All-Star Superman

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom
Superman vs. The Elite

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2

Superman: Unbound
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: War

Son of Batman
Batman: Assault on Arkham

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

There has definitely been a dip in quality, but their amazing efforts more than make up for their crummy ones. And they have way more excellent choices in their filmography than poor ones, so I'm a happy camper.

I loved Assault on Arkham. Different strokes.

Agreed. Assault on Arkham was so raw, but without feeling as though it were pandering (except for Harley's horn dog antics). I loved the chemistry between the members of the Suicide Squad and it was great to hear CCH Pounder returning to the role of Amanda Waller.

Last edited:
Assault wasn't bad at all, but I didn't enjoy it as much as most.

What ever complaints... It was still better than THRONE by a wide margin in my estimation.

They're about even. I'd probably give Throne the edge.

They're about even. I'd probably give Throne the edge.

Can't agree. Throne was just flat all around (the voice role choices except for Nate F. as Hal are poor as is the general voice direction) and had too many (unresolved) and perfunctory sub plots and character arcs. I can't really say the same for AoA. My two cents Scout.

I'm in the minority who prefers the newer stuff (Flashpoint onwards). I don't know if I'm just partial to the animation style, but I find it much more entertaining than almost everything that came before.

I'm also in the minority when it comes to Timm/Dini. I find most of it so flat, the JL animated series included.

Wow, I didn't know there were people that thought Assault on Arkham was awlful. That's one of the best films released recently for me. It was different. I enjoyed Flashpoint for the same reason. War was alright and Throne was decent. Really, the only film I haven't liked recently was "Justice League Adventures - Trapped in Time" and that was clearly aimed at little kids.

Assault on Arkham was awful... as was Son of Batman, and Throne of Atlantis. All sadly. There seems to have been a dip in quality, they've just been getting worse and worse. It's so disappointing, as I'm sure we all want these animated films to be great.

For the most part, Son of Batman is agreed to be bad, and Throne of Atlantis is on the okay side but still bad in my opinion, and Assault on Arkham seems to be mixed. However, any praise for Arkham is always just about how different and fun the characterizations were. That's not what makes it, or the other two, bad though. The writing for the recent DC films have just been terrible, as if they were written by children without any revision. The dialogue, plot points that are forced "just-because", characters being written poorly so that they're completely unlikable. Sure, there are some fun action sequences here and there, and sometimes the characters shine, but overall when judging these films as a whole, there's not much quality substance to be respected anymore...

Under The Red Hood (and maybe Flashpoint Paradox) has been the last DC animated film in awhile that has been truly good, in my opinion at least.

I didn't think Son of Batman was all that bad either.

Sure, Deathstroke's characterization was all wrong and Ra's al Ghul was wasted, but I still enjoyed it more than War and Throne of Atlantis. :shrug:

That's one anomaly that makes me curious; a common complaint about War, Son, and Atlantis, is that the villains aren't that cool or are "wasted." Darkseid, in a manner similar to the source material, is very generic in his appearance and skills instead of being the Lord of Apokilips we all love, Ra's gets Worfed by Deathstroke than "permanently killed," Daethstroke is downgraded and "defiled" in some people's opinions and also probably killed, Orm is made two-dimensional and loses the nuance that made him interesting, and then Black Manta gets eaten by a shark.

The latter two films issues with this are the most troubling, since it may seem a harbinger for an underwhelming Court of Wols in the next movie.

With Son of Batman, I felt that too much emphasis was placed on how "hardcore" Damian was rather than on how Bruce mentored him and steered him away from his impetuousness. Also, that fight scene toward the end where Damian gets stabbed through both wrists yet still has full function of both arms...is just ridiculous.

It is as if someone sat there and said, "you know what would look cool? Damian getting wrecked by Deathstroke! And you know how? Getting pinned to a surface, through his wrists." And that was the end of the discussion, with no consideration for the logic of the matter. I didn't hate the movie though. It was interesting to see a vulnerable Bruce that just accepted this new child into his life, and dealing with his complicated relationship with Talia.

I liked Arkham, it was fine I just had two complaints...

-Black Spider putting a box of silverware in the microwave for a minute + and it doesn't spark at all. In addition, it causes a rather over-sized explosion for some damn silverware.

-Black Spider dies! What the hell, I love Black Spider.

There has definitely been a dip in quality, but their amazing efforts more than make up for their crummy ones. And they have way more excellent choices in their filmography than poor ones, so I'm a happy camper.

They've done some quality work in the past and that makes this dive in quality very disappointing. I rented JL:TOA the other day and I'm not a happy camper. It's been downhill since the new 52. It's a shame , I did like Flashpoint a lot. Assault on Arkham was ok.

The animated stuff since the New 52 has been bad. I don't like the approach DC is taking towards these movies.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is, once again, another passable, mildly entertaining addition to the DC Universe collection of animated films. Before sitting down to write this review, I made the concerted effort to watch this film multiple times to see if I was missing something significant, something that would spark my imagination or, at the very least, get me excited for this line of DVD's once more.

On the surface (no pun intended), Throne of Atlantis has everything going for it. Highly effective animation, slick character designs, sumptuous music and a highly talented voice cast. In spite of all this, Throne of Atlantis never quite seems greater than the sum of it's parts. It certainly passes 75 minutes competently enough, but who would ever argue that this is a must-have film that no one should be without?

The obvious problems are to be found within it's screenplay. I don't know who Heath Corson had to sleep with to get this high-profile gig at WB Animation, because writing Justice League tales is not his strong suit. Characters come across as cardboard cut-outs, hitting their necessary emotional beats at an alarming speed in order to get to the next action set piece or expositional intermission. The Justice League don't add an awful lot to proceedings either. The team are split up for half the movie, don't do a huge amount to stop Orm in the end and have decidedly weak banter. In-fact, this film would have worked infinitely better with just Cyborg and Batman in supporting roles.

The moment that truly raised the eyebrows was when Ocean Master just casually confessed to killing his mother in front of Aquaman and some of the most powerful members of the League. Why? Why on earth would he do that?... To gloat? So that Cyborg could witness the confession? There was potential for a truly intriguing and complicated relationship between Arthur and Orm, but it was squandered simply so the audience could say, ''Yep, that's definitely the bad guy! Go get 'im Justice League, in the remaining... 15 minutes you have left''.

I wasn't overly concerned with the ongoing drama with Cyborg or the vomit-inducing relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman, but these are simply personal issues with the source material. At the very least, the characterizations were toned down somewhat for this outing, resulting in a much more likeable cast of characters.

Andrea Romano does another commendable job with the casting on this film. Everyone fits their roles with considerable ease, even if there are some growing pains with Lanter and Witwer. As Orm, Witwer became just a shade too campy for me towards the end of the film. While Jason O'Mara is slowly but surely improving as the Dark Knight, he still sounds bored and lethargic in the role. Lets hope he really steps it up in Batman vs. Robin.

One specific aspect of the film which does a great deal in lifting it out of the murky depths is Frederick Weidmann's stunning score. I'm sick of singing this man's praises but he always delivers and has become one of the best composers to work on DC Animation in years. His work fills all the emotional blanks that, either the screenplay neglects, or the runtime stunts. Plus, his action cues aren't too shabby either.

Perhaps it's the sheer volume and frequency of releases that makes us appreciate these films a little less (I wonder, if this was a rare DTV release like the old days, would I be more enamoured with it?). When a line like this runs for over 7 years with no end in sight, it's only natural that it would travel through some peaks and valleys. Sadly, even though I like the man very much, the movies have rested quite comfortably in the valleys under James Tucker's guidance. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis is another competent film, with the usual technical merits we've come to expect from WB animation, but you get the sense that it never really strives for greatness and the crew are more than happy to let it be both a building block for this shared continuity and a truly average tale for our new Justice League.

Even an end-credits cameo from a familiar bald foe fails to illicit much excitement.

6/10

All in my opinion, but here's how I rank the DC Animated films.

Blue = Amazing
Black = Okay
Red = Awful

Wonder Woman
All-Star Superman

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Superman vs. The Elite

Superman: Unbound

Son of Batman

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

Flashpoint Paradon only "okay"????? *eyetwitch* fubck.... you...

On a more serious note, here's my rankings

Wonder Woman
All-Star Superman

Superman vs. The Elite

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time

Son of Batman

I haven't seen Emerald Knights, Superman Unbound, or Throne of Atlantis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"