DC Universe - Justice League: Gods and Monsters

Saw it. Quite enjoyable I thought and far better than the most recent DC animated offerings.

Agreed. I haven't liked one of their DTV movies this much since Crisis on Two Earths. I liked that one, the New Frontier one and this about the same so it's in the same standing among the best that they've done, IMO. My knowledge of DC is minimal so I really didn't see who the ultimate bad guy was until it was revealed and that's very refreshing. I never heard of the [BLACKOUT]Metal Men or Will Magus[/BLACKOUT] since they were never really showcased in any DCAU work(99% of where my DC knowledge comes from) prior to this. Not only that but seeing wldly different versions of the big 3 was also a refreshing sight. I don't think I've ever liked any of the 3 as much as I liked them here(granted, I was never a particular fan of ANY of them before so that's not a hard thing to do). I'll give this

8/10

Welcome back, Bruce Timm. I hope to see more from this reality.

Edit: In fact, I just went back and ranked this against the other 11 2015 movies I've seen so far this year and this is better than all but AoU.

Last edited:
Honestly... this just became my favorite movie out of the entire DC Universe line.

It was action-packed. It was thought-provoking. It was suspenseful. It was moving.

I loved the re-imagined versions of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, with all three being engaging and unique. I expecially enjoyed Kirk's story and how it resolved itself. Alan Burnett created a sharp, distinct script with nothing superflous or meandering. What he was able to do in 75 minutes is nothing short of astounding.

The animation and designs were simply gorgeous. I've truly missed the Bruce Timm style.

I'll try and get a more detailed review up later, but this has to get top marks. Please do more DTV's in this world, Mr Timm.

So I'm thinking that Beka's look was inspired by Maxima from STAS. They look similar.

It's hard for me too enjoy this becaues it's an elseworld's story, at the same time, I enjoyed it because it was an elseworlds story.

But sadly, my love for the basic characters still prevails, and although this was really well done, it's not as memorable as I feel some of you feel. Which is fine, cause I'll still continue watching, I quite liked how it relates too the characters but is it's own thing.

E.g. Kirk
having two loves in his life much like a child and losing them both in this case they were his friends, who were there always too support them. I kind of liked how they made it different but similar.

I actually just watched it this morning. Wasn't bad at all, pretty entertaining and had a good story. So is there supposed to be a second season that takes place after this movie? I thought I heard that rumor somewhere?

Edit: In fact, I just went back and ranked this against the other 11 2015 movies I've seen so far this year and this is better than all but AoU.

There are better films out there this year, but compared to all comic book movies, this is one of the best and better than AoU. The humour was more subtle and organic (not forced and stupid), the story was less predictable and more complex, it had heart and the villain was great. Bruce Timm & co should continue, they're the kings of superhero animation. :word:

There are better films out there this year, but compared to all comic book movies, this is one of the best and better than AoU. The humour was more subtle and organic (not forced and stupid), the story was less predictable and more complex, it had heart and the villain was great. Bruce Timm & co should continue, they're the kings of superhero animation. :word:

To each his own. I'll take AoU over every other film I'm seen this year so far, including this one, by a wide margin. Granted there have only been 11 releases out of a hundred or more films that even remotely interested me enough so that I'd be willing to try them anyway. But I agree that more from Timm would be welcome.

Just watched it. It was a pretty great story. A lot more enjoyable to watch than the recent New 52 stuff they've been doing.

Just finished it, it was really good, I don't think it ever ascended into greatness but it got close. I must say I enjoyed all three members of the Justice League and I really didn't expect to.

Superman voiced by Benjamin Bratt was exceptional, this really felt like his movie, I thought it was really interesting that he was the Son of Zod/Lara. He seemed to gave her heart but Zod's attitude. Michael C Hall as Batman and Tamara Taylor as Wonder Woman (Bekka) were both excellent also and I especially enjoyed their back stories here. It was clever how they fit them into this run time without them dominating the story. Also did anyone else get a Disney's Aladdin vibe from the Orion/Bekka scene? (It was probably mire a nod to Superman and Lois Can You Read My Mind scene from Superman the Movie).

I definitely loved Jason Issacs as Lex Luthor, I would love to see him do the role in a traditional Superman movie.

The only voice I didn't really like was Paget Brewster as Lois Lane although I didn't mind her by the end.

The only negative on the film for me really was the big reveal, I actually guessed it early on in the film and it kind if ruined it for me cause I knew it was coming. It was still clever though but if we see these folks again (I'm not talking more shorts I'm talking another animated movie) I hope they get a villain or villains that are much bigger in scale.

I love future stories, else world stories etc so I was always intrigued from the get go. However I really wasn't sold going in but thankfully it surpassed my expectations even of I did feel a little disappointed at the reveal at the end. All in all I'd give it a solid 8/10,

Just watched it, it made me realize how poor recent animated DTV's have been, I missed the old JLU designs and quality story-telling.

This is an else-worlds story, I like else-world stories, so I was hopeful that with Timm's involvement it will be watchable, it surpassed my expectations.

Now, I can't wait for future episodes.

Ever since The Flashpoint Paradox, I've been extremely disappointed with DC's animated offerings. This movie is a good reminder of how amazing they can be whenever they let brilliant people like Timm & Co do their stuff. Their line-up of mashed up new-52 adaptations is such a waste of time, talent and energy.

Now if only the persons in the charge of the DCEU could take some clues, like simply how to craft an gripping, personal, thoughtful, emotionally charged and exciting story and not just a bland, self-serious one, that would be great.

Last edited:
After being let down by the individual character vignettes, I went into this movie with very low expectations. I think that helped a lot, because I very much enjoyed this movie.

It never reached levels of greatness that some DTVs of the past have, but it certainly surpassed some of the New52 offerings (Batman vs. Robin, excluded).

Superman & Wonder Woman's origins were standouts to me--The New Gods twist especially.

Batman's was just okay, which is strange considering his was rooted most in the overall story.

The voice acting was good (does Andrea Romano really ever miss the mark?), but a shoutout must be made for Benjamin Bratt who I think absolutely stole the show.

I don't know what my numerical rating would be, but it's worth rewatching

My ramblings

Just when I thought it was done with DC animated movies, they pull me back in thanks to this. You can see Bruce Timm and Sam Liu's return on screen because of the animation and story. I'm usually a sucker for Elseworld tales so I ate this right up. They do some very interesting things with the DC lore and I gotta say I'd love to see more Kirk Langstrom as Batman. Overall, much better than the recent crap we're getting from DC animation.
8.5/10

Its in the top half of dc animated films for me. Loved the look of supes, bats was good, ww was just ok.
An 8/10 from me.

It was good certainly better than the recent New 52 animated crap.

Loved it ! Original and ballsy, and it made Man of Steel look pretty tame
carnage wise.

Sure, it had a bunch of cliches in it, but I really enjoyed a different take on the
characters - and the New Gods/Apokolips part was great.

Yup a 9/10 from me.

Loved it ! Original and ballsy, and it made Man of Steel look pretty tame
carnage wise.

Sure, it had a bunch of cliches in it, but I really enjoyed a different take on the
characters - and the New Gods/Apokolips part was great.

Yup a 9/10 from me.

It really was, I actually think Bekka's backstory was the most interesting of the three and I really wasn't expecting that going in.

Also did anyone else get a Disney's Aladdin vibe from the Orion/Bekka scene? (It was probably mire a nod to Superman and Lois Can You Read My Mind scene from Superman the Movie).,

I did. While watching it with my friends I just wanted to burst out "I can show you a world."

Overall this was really good despite some derivative material here and there. I enjoyed the origins for all three JL members and the voice actors did a great job; especially Michael C. Hall. I thought he was a perfect fit for this version of Batman. I sincerely hope WB allows Bruce Timm to continue this series, as I find it to be infinitely better than the other DC animated offerings.

This was soooooo good. I can't wait to see more from Timm and this world.

If Justice League: Gods and Monsters proves anything, it's that we should never take the talents and ingenuity of Bruce Timm for granted. Frankly, he's been entertaining and surprising me for 23 years now and was practically the driving force behind the definitive shows of my childhood. Therefore, it was highly disappointing when he chose to step away from the gruelling task of overseeing the DC DTV line (and boy, has his absence been noticeable). He's teased us with a few smaller projects over the last two years, but now he's back, ''he's tanned, he's rested'' and he's ready to give DC fans another mind-blowing adventure.

Justice League: Gods and Monsters introduces us to a whole new world where anything is possible and nothing is as it seems. This isn't merely evil versions of our beloved Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, but rather a fresh and exciting new take on decades old mythology. Timm and Burnett have retained the moniker/gimmick of the classic trinity and thrown everything else out. Initially, I wasn't sure how I felt about this, but the beauty of it all is that it gives Timm/Burnett complete freedom to craft a story that I found intriguing, exciting and, above all, emotionally involving.

Gods and Monsters is basically an action-packed mystery thriller that wonderfully sprinkles the back stories of our ''heroes'' into a very tight 75 minute runtime. While Superman felt very short-changed, I honestly can't pick a favourite back story between Bekka and Kirk. The detour to Apokolips was exquisite, full of emotion, surprises and engaging characters. It showcased a backdrop that could have supported a 75 minute story in its own right. Batman's origin, obviously, impacted the overall story more and simply tugged at my heart strings. It honestly had me... I really liked Will Magnus as a character and found the triangle believable and poignant, which made the ending all the more heartbreaking.

I have to commend Alan Burnett for taking what could have been an enormous, unwieldy story and managing to present it to the audiences in such a short space of time. My small criticism is, as mentioned above, how Superman came across as a little uninteresting for the most part. Yes, his origin was the basis for this new world, but I feel we needed a little more from him in order to make a stronger connection. Perhaps a look at his home life or even a scene with his sister (as seen in the comics).

The animation was simply joyous. Timm's Batman: Strange Days last year left me salivating for more 2D animation in his style and this was worth the wait. The design work was obviously given alot of thought in order to distinguish it from the DCAU as much as possible, while still retaining the flavour and I feel like they pulled it off. The backgrounds, while bland for the cityscapes, suited the story and completely shone during the Apokolips sequences. There was a few shaky moments, suggesting MOI animation had to rush through the process, but overall I loved it.

The cast was impeccable from top to bottom, with my two favorites being Michael C Hall and Tamara Taylor. Andrea Romano rarely lets us down and this was another fine example of her talents and dependability. Also, it was nice hearing Carl Lumbly's voice once again and I have to give a shout out to Grey Griffin who was fantastic in the role of Tina. The score was spectacular and once again Frederick Weidmann delivered in spades. I'll definitely be buying the soundtrack once La La Land releases it.

I simply cannot praise this movie enough. This is exactly what the DC DTV line needed, a complete and utter shot to the arm, showing that original stories is where the line should be headed. After 23 movies and 8 years of production, it's time to be bold and take a few risks... risks like Justice League: Gods and Monsters. I don't know how this thing will sell, but I certainly hope people get behind it and WB happily greenlights a sequel. Who wouldn't want more adventures with these characters? I'll certainly be supporting the endeavour by buying the comics, action figures and anything else WB/DC throws out.

I know you didn't exactly leave, but, welcome back Mr Timm... DC animation has missed you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"