DC Universe - Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis

I hated this movie. Everything was just so lame or flat. I can't really even describe the problems with it, the execution of everything was just really poor. I think this is their worst movie to date.

IMO, War was even worse.... the WW ice cream part was excruiating....

Typical new 52, you can't blame the animated format, it's an adaption from what's in the written form and given the new 52 JL is written as a 5 year old sees the world you can't really blame it.

Fight / Banter / Fight, repeat to fade.

Whilst I believe Aquaman has come out of New 52 better than most, the characterisation is all off to me, especially WW and Superman and they miss the point of Captain Marvel (Shazam) completely, bit a clue DC writers, he's 13 and full of life, he hasn't got ADHD.

Plus, I'm old school, I can't do WW and Supes together, it's all kinds of wrong.
I can't help but wonder, have you actually read the original Throne of Atlantis storyline? Because it was generally well recieved (Personally, I loved it)

I liked the designs, the animation and the action was good... But there are a lot of issues with this release. Some have used the word "flat" and man is that accurate. The story feels lifeless and the choice of voice acting and voice direction has the same vibe. Only Fillion's Hal has any energy, but he's left just being "banter" guy in this. The voice actor and writing for Orm is almost at 1980's cartoon villain level, and they waste Lennix as Manta. Arthur is just dull, his story is dull here. We get MORE Batman treats his colleagues like crap stuff (Why is that interesting or necessary?) and there isn't as always with these things, enough runtime to give any kind of depth to all the characters various subplots (Cyborg's angst, Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship ect.). These things look great but post FLASHPOINT, these new DTV's haven't been anywhere near the previous releases outside of ASSAULT ON ARKHAM though SON OF BATMAN has it's moments. I liked certain things in THRONE like Mera being formidable and as mentioned the action is good, but it is in the end lackluster.

Finally got around to watching this and I found it decent enough. It's a little repetitive as we've seen Ocean Master the usurper before but I didn't mind it. I like Mera and it was cool seeing her kick ass. Hal Jordan wasn't nearly a *****e in this one and the team seems to gel better.

I can't agree with this continuity thing yeah if it was just for the JL films fine but I don't see the point of having one Batman film a year in the same continuity at all, theres no reason they can't just have the JL films in continuity and do some different Batman stories.

DCAU films have a loose continuity, and usually only between one film and its loosely affiliated sequel. Most of these films are based on different continuities throughout the history of DC Comics, so there is no larger shared universe between all of these animated works in the same manner as say the Timmverse.

To my knowledge, War and Throne of Atlantis are loosely related because both are drawn from the first eighteen or so issues of New 52 Justice League. This also means that Flash Point shares continuity with both of those films as Flash Point was the impetus for New 52. Son of Batman is arguably connected to the aforementioned films, because it is based on the New 52 rendition of Bruce meeting Damian.

Superman/Batman Apocalypse and Public Enemies share continuity with one another (loosely), because both films come from the same run on pre-New 52 Superman/Batman.

Aside from those films listed above, everything else is pretty much chosen from different points in DC history, with no real connection, chronologically or plot wise. It is all mixed up...a mish mash of "greatest hits."

Decent enough film. Much better than War, at any rate.

Decent enough film. Much better than War, at any rate.

Why does it seem that everyone here on Hype has it out for Justice League War? I found it to be enjoyable, but the crowd consensus around here seems to be very much against Justice League War.

Why does it seem that everyone here on Hype has it out for Justice League War? I found it to be enjoyable, but the crowd consensus around here seems to be very much against Justice League War.

I think it's mostly because some of the characters are a little *****eier, ditzier, or less complex than their comic counterparts. Some people cant stand watching their favorite heroes and villain being portrayed in certain ways.

Personally, I think it's the most entertaining DC animated film.

Last edited:
I think it's mostly because some of the characters are a little *****eier, ditzier, or less complex than their comic counterparts. Some people cant stand watching their favorite heroes and villain being portrayed in certain ways.

Lantern and Shazam were incredibly annoying in Justice League: War.

Everyone except Batman came across as an idiot, quite frankly.

War is OK, I don't hate it. The stuff between Bats & GL were great. Wonder Woman's design was great. The action was awesome, but overall the movie was mediocre. Atlantis... meh. I found it to be very boring in comparison to the JL comic it's based off of which I loved. Really, these new movies aren't bad but they are forgettable.

I don't hate it, I just didn't like it much. It's nothing more or less than mindless entertainment.

A lack of theme hurts the DCAU movies if they focus on action over it. UTRH, JL: COTE, JL: TNF, DKR, Superman: Elite, all those have a theme to go with their action and rely heavily on characterization to show it. War is more like Superman: Doomsday with smattering a of the "Marvel style;" heavy action as the main core of the story, with an inclination for more humor than pathos and a greater degree of inter-protagonist conflict with "weak" villains.

After a decade of mostly more serious stuff that tended to favor Post-Crisis characterization and more personal storytelling, seeing a movie that seems to be an Avengers knockoff launch a new animated film continuity can upset some people who don't like the style.

Add in some old fashioned vocal hatred of War's source material and the New 52, and there you go.

It's funny, I don't hate the New 52 like most readers seem to. There's a lot of titles I enjoy, and even a few of my all-time favorite stories/runs have come out of it. But man, I REALLY feel like the New 52 has ruined DC's animated movies. They were, for the most part, so darn good before they started adapting the recent stuff, imo.

A lack of theme hurts the DCAU movies if they focus on action over it. UTRH, JL: COTE, JL: TNF, DKR, Superman: Elite, all those have a theme to go with their action and rely heavily on characterization to show it. War is more like Superman: Doomsday with smattering a of the "Marvel style;" heavy action as the main core of the story, with an inclination for more humor than pathos and a greater degree of inter-protagonist conflict with "weak" villains

Isn't the theme of JL:W about overcoming ego and learning the value of teamwork?

The theme of WAR was bad writing and underwhelming characterization.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this film could be used as a case against Aquaman and why he's boring.

Isn't the theme of JL:W about overcoming ego and learning the value of teamwork?

Perhaps. I and others either don't see it, see it as badly executed, or see it as much more cliche and harder to enjoy because we've seen it so many other places, and those places didn't have a 90 minute countdown.

I'd personally argue that the theme isn't developed enough to have the proper gravitas to the story, and where it is developed, very contentious characterizations are made. It *is* an exaggeration, in my opinion, to say the entire Justice League has been transformed into jerks, but they definitely focused on a much more ego-centric interpretation of the characters and highlighted character conflicts while using broader strokes for others.

For comparison, Crisis on Two Earths had a theme of duality and choice vs causality. Considering the Crime Syndicate were introduced in this film to the viewing audience, they were given a huge amount of character moments. And they were set up to be in direct opposition to the League's interactions. The first thing Wonder Woman does in the Crisis movie? Work to allay the negative impact of Batman's prank on Flash, while Superwoman is shown later clearly acting as Owlman's kinky lover and second in command and she spends the movie working against her team. Ultraman gets to act like the world's biggest and dumbest a-hole while Superman is clearly portrayed as wiser and as the most compassionate member of the league. And Batman and Owlman have numerous scenes to show their philosophical differences, culminating in their excellent last scene where Batman represents free will and taking responsibility for one's actions while Owlman becomes the ultimate nihilistic sociopath.

In contrast, War introduces Wonder Woman enjoying ice cream for the first time and making some jokes about her using her sword at inappropriate times, while Superman seems to throw the first punch in his encounter with Batman and Green Lantern, Shazam steals Cyborg's jersey, and Superman and Wonder Woman have a half-minute light flirtation that seems to center around them both being cute and powerful. It's not entirely bad characterization decisions, but there's definitely a less subtle brushwork here and you could argue the action isn't all that much better than Crisis to justify it.

And again, a lot of War's hate is going to come from the direction its perceived as taking the films. The fact that all three of the DCNAU films released thus far have neutered their villains may be seen as a pattern War started.

DCAU films have a loose continuity, and usually only between one film and its loosely affiliated sequel. Most of these films are based on different continuities throughout the history of DC Comics, so there is no larger shared universe between all of these animated works in the same manner as say the Timmverse.

To my knowledge, War and Throne of Atlantis are loosely related because both are drawn from the first eighteen or so issues of New 52 Justice League. This also means that Flash Point shares continuity with both of those films as Flash Point was the impetus for New 52. Son of Batman is arguably connected to the aforementioned films, because it is based on the New 52 rendition of Bruce meeting Damian.

Superman/Batman Apocalypse and Public Enemies share continuity with one another (loosely), because both films come from the same run on pre-New 52 Superman/Batman.

Aside from those films listed above, everything else is pretty much chosen from different points in DC history, with no real connection, chronologically or plot wise. It is all mixed up...a mish mash of "greatest hits."

Tucker has already said the Batman and JL projects are set in the same universe.

Superman/Batman Public Enemies and Apocoalypse are not loosely connected they are directly connected. When the film starts the news report is picking up on the event of PE.

It's funny, I don't hate the New 52 like most readers seem to. There's a lot of titles I enjoy, and even a few of my all-time favorite stories/runs have come out of it. But man, I REALLY feel like the New 52 has ruined DC's animated movies. They were, for the most part, so darn good before they started adapting the recent stuff, imo.

New 52 is...tolerable. But yeah, I hate how it's changed the DC animated films. :/ I wish they would have kept it to the comics only.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this film could be used as a case against Aquaman and why he's boring.

Just because this movie was terrible doesn't mean Aquaman is a bad character. He can be awesome if he was written and directed competently.

Just because this movie was terrible doesn't mean Aquaman is a bad character. He can be awesome if he was written and directed competently.

we cannot judge anyone with seen it on screen remember the quicksilver part we hate that but in the end we love the quicksilver

I watched Throne of Atlantis last night. I found it a little bit more enjoyable than War, but nothing special.

Any word on if DC plans to do other animated films outside of the New 52 or are we stuck with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"