DC Universe sheds half of its library in 2020

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
DC/WB don't really seem to be helping themselves when it comes to DC Universe....it's already lost the rights to some major content when it's already missing plenty of current content....

Leaving DC UNIVERSE in December 2019
  • Justice League vs. Teen Titans
  • All-Star Superman
  • Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker
  • Green Lantern: First Flight
  • Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
  • Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
  • Justice League: War
  • Son of Batman
  • Superman II
  • Superman III
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
  • Superman Unbound
  • Superman vs. The Elite
  • Superman: Doomsday
  • Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
  • Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  • Watchmen: Under the Hood
  • Wonder Woman (2009)
Joining DC Universe in January 2020
  • Wednesday, January 1: Batman: Gotham Knight
  • Wednesday, January 22: Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
  • Wednesday, January 22: Batman Beyond (remastered HD Seasons 2 &3)
What to WATCH AND READ on DC UNIVERSE In January 2020!

That actually makes sense. They have CW seed, HBO max, and DC universe. Why not just make one big app that maybe able to compete with Disney + if they get their act together. I still don't get what's up with WB. They clearly know that DC is a gold mine which is why they made DC universe, yet can't get their DCCU right, but when they do right, they do good, hence Aquaman and Wonder Woman. I really don't know what these execs are thinking. I still don't get the Birds of Prey movie................I meant Harley and friends movie. :o

They can't merge DC Universe entirely with HBO Max due to the publishing aspect. This whole digital library being delivered to consumers like an SVOD service may go quickly out of vogue as afterall people are not really going to read comics on their TV sets and tablets have been decreasing in popularity in favor of smaller android or apple based laptops and phones now. The tablet market still has dipped abit from what it was 5 years ago.

The DC Universe having expensive shows put on was an ambitious way to draw in consumers but isn't something people with TV's are necessarily going to buy. That being said this medium difference seems to be in the way of completely fusing this with HBOmax. If anything, the shows could play across both on a separate subscription basis.

For those who already have HBOMax, DC universe may become more akin to an add on purchase to read suggested tie in publications some of which may be read as part of a subscription while those not on the subscription during a given period can be digitally purchased.

Fans who don't want to pay a higher fee for hbomax may instead opt to just see small screen content on dcuniverse and pay for a rotating digital library of comics they otherwise wouldn't be compelled to if the small screen content wasn't there (while digitally purchasing what like or something interested in that's not part of the current content selection on the subscription as well).

Last edited:
I don't get it, how can WB/DC lose rights to series & movies that it owns? Doesn't make sense to me, can anyone explain?

For that matter, I don't get why WB doesn't make a streaming service for all of the movies they own either. I mean considering the success of Disney+, I'd think every major studio would want to put out their own respective service, and WB has a huge back catalog of movies to mine from.

Well this is kind of terrible.

I don't get it, how can WB/DC lose rights to series & movies that it owns? Doesn't make sense to me, can anyone explain?

For that matter, I don't get why WB doesn't make a streaming service for all of the movies they own either. I mean considering the success of Disney+, I'd think every major studio would want to put out their own respective service, and WB has a huge back catalog of movies to mine from.

They do but that's the nature of SVOD. I don't mean to offend anyone but people might have become spoiled over the last decade... It's brick and mortar when it comes to books again and OWNING quality content I think will hopefully again peak with this negative news.

TVOD services > SVOD in my opionion except in the cases of when wanting to see original series.
It's just gotten to the point where it's all Warnermedia now SVOD wise. DCUniverse is yesterday's news. They should've linked with CinemaNow back when that was in existence and Notebooks were tomorrows thing about 7 years ago. The comic book industry failed to adapt to change in 2000 A.D. it's time that they F off and the people around said publishing company F off as well. It is yesterday's thing BUT the notion of where comic book publishing was going at the end of the 90's I think it's time it goes there now...

Graphic Novel wise for special projects still keep but month to month B.S. from hacked out shelled out companies forget it. It's 2020 if anyone wants to ignore me my jaws straight out and asking anyone on these forums (not referring to you) to do so despite the "like" B.S. that I could care less about from an integrity standpoint.

They have cancelled DC Daily and apparently have no plans to put any new shows into development outside of the ones they already have.

Really, the only reason to have DC Universe is for the comics library. That makes the service worth it’s weight in gold. Otherwise I wouldn’t get it for just the videos.

DCU will merge with HBO Max at some point in the near future

Yeah, HBO Max app already has a DC Hub on it. I imagine DC Universe so will just be used for comics in a year or two. Or have very limited shows on it.

I don't even think they're advertising Doom Patrol S2 to be on the DCU app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"