DC Universe - Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis

A better Justice League Post 52 animated feature but, I gotta say that DC animated films have been sorly lacking. I found the film pre-52 were better. (Justice League : Doom, Justice League: Crisis ) Heck the Justice League 2-parter The enemy Below was better.

Says a lot about the difference in quality between New 52 Material and Classic Stuff.lol

I was actually pleasantly surprised with the movie, the recasts were for the better and all the characters were handled very well. Witwer and Lanter were great as Aquaman and Ocean Master and the origin was nicely done. It turned out a lot better than War so here's hoping they keep it up with the quality.

Says a lot about the difference in quality between New 52 Material and Classic Stuff.lol

My thoughts exactly. Then again decades of stories vs a few years, who's going to have more rich and quality material.

A better Justice League Post 52 animated feature but, I gotta say that DC animated films have been sorly lacking. I found the film pre-52 were better. (Justice League : Doom, Justice League: Crisis ) Heck the Justice League 2-parter The enemy Below was better.

Pretty much my feelings as well.

In my opinion, the last good DC animated film we got was Flashpoint Paradox. Not looking forward to Batman vs. Robin.

Does anyone know what Justice League: Gods and Monsters will be about?

Does anyone know what Justice League: Gods and Monsters will be about?

No... All we know is that it's an original story by Alan Burnett with Bruce Timm producing (Also, possibly contributing character designs).

Although, the little online mini-series Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles might shed some light on the films plot:

“Chronicles” is said to revolve around a newly conceived reality in the DC universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the superheroes that people know.

I was hoping it would be more WW centric, but whatever.

I watched it last night but I was tired. I passed out half way through the movie. I have to rewatch this

I feel Aquaman was rather underused in this movie. He should have been taking point over Mera. It was like he was a passenger in this whole movie while Arthur got to shine towards the end. I'm honestly more surprised that the League didn't ask Mera to join in the end. In the end, it should have had more focus on Arthur fighting Orm and him stepping up.

Am I right in this?

I feel Aquaman was rather underused in this movie. He should have been taking point over Mera. It was like he was a passenger in this whole movie while Arthur got to shine towards the end. I'm honestly more surprised that the League didn't ask Mera to join in the end. In the end, it should have had more focus on Arthur fighting Orm and him stepping up.

Am I right in this?

Yep right on. It was my biggest criticism also. Making this an origin story was a mistake. Should have hit the ground running and tell the origin story in a flashbacks. Justice League WAR had no origins which worked great for it.

Still got a kick out of the movie though. I didn't read the Throne of Atlantis so I don't have the comparison baggage.

Yep right on. It was my biggest criticism also. Making this an origin story was a mistake. Should have hit the ground running and tell the origin story in a flashbacks. Justice League WAR had no origins which worked great for it.

Still got a kick out of the movie though. I didn't read the Throne of Atlantis so I don't have the comparison baggage.

I recommend it. You get to see Arthur being a leader and King and just an all round badass. You get to see why the comic readers all unanimously say Aquaman is cool now. If you're going to buy it, get the Aquaman trade paperback rather than the Justice League one as you get an extra Aquaman story which enriches the plot.

It could have done well with the origin sub-plot if Mera didn't tell him to stand back so much but rather teach him how to fight on the spot while also sparking up a romance?

Also does anyone think the Aquaman/Mera romance was forced?

Also does anyone think the Aquaman/Mera romance was forced?

Yep, right again. Like Man of Steel, Clark and Lois forced. Or Anakin, Padame "falling in love" on the way to a death-match coliseum forced. :whatever::woot:

I really don't understand why they feel they need to force a kiss at the end of these movies. I thought it was great set up for a legit romance in the follow up movies.

That's part of the reason I enjoyed Blade. 3 movies and not a singe love sub plot. Not every hero needs to "Hook up".

The difference being Superman and Aquaman's primary supporting characters are their love interests and are necessary for most adaptations of their stories. If Blade has a love interest, like 3 people have heard of them.

remember how Batman in BTAS was a likeable character who made jokes once in awhile and wasn't right all the time? that was awesome

also Aquaman man said outrageous ha (though i thought that scene was very anticlimactic)

Last edited:
Aquaman said he talks to fish in the movie = told you.

I can't believe that I'm the first one that's going to be reviewing this here.lol

Based on the issues that I had with "War", along with the things that I've seen other people having complained about the film as well, I think "Throne of Atlantis" is a SUPERIOR IMPROVEMENT over its predecessor.

I mean, it's not by any means perfect, but considering how bad "War" was, the only other way to go was really up and it did. If anything, my biggest issue is that I wish the film would have been longer.

This makes me want to see it even more, especially since I think War was the best non-print presentation of the JL to date. I'm somewhat disappointed that GL and Flash are supposedly marginalized (some users on the GLC message board think so), but with GL and Bats being the focal points of War, and Barry having his own TV series, I can't be too angry at that.

Just finished watching it, wow thought it was fantastic.

To be honest I am finding it hard to think of anything negative as there really wasn't anything I disliked. I thought all the voice work was top notch with Matt Lanter rightly stealing the show as Arthur Curry and on a personal note for me I thought Jerry O'Connell was excellent as Superman who I thought they showcased to perfection here. Sam Witwer was amazing as Orm, I really hope he's back in that role next time out. The rest of the casting was fine also with Jason O'Mara as Batman and Sean Astin as Shazam my only voices that weren't quite on par with everyone else but I still think they did a good job.

I thought it was nice to see Batman taking more of a back seat as to be honest I've had enough of him in animation for now. I really hope that they start to give him a break in the solos after the next one.

Thought the animation was some of the best work they've done and I thought the story was great.

I really hope that the Justice League films retain this quality, I'd say compared to the other Justice League DTVs it's only just behind The Flashpoint Paradox (which for me was a 5/5) but a massive step up from War. I'd probably rate this one a 4.5/5 for now.

Last edited:
Aquaman said he talks to fish in the movie = told you.

But in the comic books he says that he does not.

Source material >>> random adaptation.

Just saw this. It was alright. Greatly prefer the comic book story to what they came up with here. Then again I'm not much of an adaptation guy. The best medium for me is always the comic books.

With that said people who do NOT read comic books should not take this movie as some kind of gospel regarding comic book canon. It's pretty much Throne of Atlantis in name only as most adaptations usually and rightfully (since they're adaptations) are. It pretty much takes a completely fresh approach and makes it clearer that these movies will always do their own thing and be loosely based on the comic books at best for the most part. Which is cool as long as what they come up with is actually engaging in it's own right.

Outside of certain superficial elements (it's a Justice League/Aquaman story involving Atlantis invading the surface world, exploring Superman and Wonder Woman's romance) it's pretty much something completely different altogether. So if you felt discouraged not to check out the storyline this is based on based off your opinion of the movie. Or if you feel this is a reflection of what New 52 JL comics are really about then it's your loss because you couldn't be more wrong and are missing out on a gem of a comic book story due to your assumptions.

Last edited:
I thought this was pretty boring, though better than War. Highlight was Aquaman saying "Outrageous."

The only scene I really liked was the start of when Aquaman and Mera got attacked by those trench dude after he got his suit. The animation there was clearly different from their standard stuff.

I laughed at how everyone just wears the small masks underwater with no special suits or anything except for Supes and WW (who could talk with no problems). I almost thought they were going to end the film with a scene much like Arthur and Mera's wedding.

Oh, and weird they got rid of Manta like that.

Last edited:
So, they've killed Black Manta, Deathstroke and Ra's Al Ghul, and they also wasted them as mostly action set pieces. That's disappointing.

I enjoyed it more than War, but I didn't find it all that impressive.

The only remaining impression I have from watching it is that Mera should be in the Justice League instead of Aquaman. Mera seemed like a much more interesting character and her water manipulation powers were awesome. Also, I'm guessing it is true to the comics, but the idea of appointing someone from the surface world to rule over Atlantis seemed bizarre to me, irrespective of their genetic connection to the prior ruler and their ability to wield a magical trident. The Atlenteans really should have demanded a democratic election of a leader (preferably Mera) instead of accepting Aquaman as their leader.

The minimal expansion of Superman and Wonder Woman's romance and Cyborg's love life seemed somewhat irrelevant to the remainder of the story, but I guess it was nice to see the characters somewhat expanded upon.

Shazam's powers also seem ... "new" to me. His ability to manipulate "tendrils" of electricity to act like a lasso or whip definitely wasn't something that I had seen before. If he can create artificial constructs from his lightning, like Green Lantern does with his ring, then I'd like the limits of that to be clarified a bit more.

Given how he went out, I'm guessing Manta will be back. Sans a certain appendage.

I was pretty entertained by this. I thought it was of similar quality to Justice League: War. I loved the bar fight scene with Aquaman and Atlantis was pretty cool. They should do one of these with a huge League like the old JLU cartoons.

I wrote a longer review on Heroic Review. Check it out.
http://heroicreview.com/justice-league-throne-atlantis-review/

Good flick, the comic was better because Arthur hD been around since day one with the league instead he is shoehorned in and yeah it's just not as good. This all coming from prolly the biggest Aquaman fan on the boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"